Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Master_Dahark, I wouldn't mind seeing
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Cronos (1993). Not my favorite film from Guillermo del Toro. Averageish debut film I thought.

When I went on a marathon throughout his films years back, I was quite excited for this one but pretty much walked away with the same feeling you did.
    Mon-voisin-Totoro-DVD.jpg

Fourth installment in my watching of Hayiao MIyazaki. This one surprised me : first, it was much shorter than the preceding movies (clocking at just one hour and 25 minutes), and a bit dark too, despite the glorious scenery, and the fantastic creatures that inhabited it (the last act was pretty much nail biting, and what was Satsuki's and Mei's mother suffering from ?). Still, I loved it very much. So far, Miyazaki Sama has not disappointed me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    SaintMark wrote: »
    IT (2017)
    An excellent movie, was somewhat skeptical being a big fan of the original movie/mini tv series. The young cast did brilliant and Pennywise was actually excellent, the scene with Billy and Pennywise was actually filmed last and was early in the movie easily the scariest part. Looking forward to chapter two.

Sharkey's machine (1981)
    A dissapointing movie starring and directing Burt Reynolds, too bad the movie did not stick to the book by Diehl. The movie takes great leaps in story and expects you to keep following it. At times not so coherent. Too bad since I have seen Reynolds in better roles perhaps the directing part was just too much.

The Saint (2017)
    The official pilot has been reworked into a tv movie which makes sense perhaps. It is a nice update in the Saint saga and too bad it was not developed into a series. Great scenes with Ian Ogilvy & Roger Moore ( a shedload of Saintly characters involved)

The French Connection (1971)
    What a great movie and that car chase is brilliant, this is the kind of movie that could only have been made in the '60's and '70's.

The Sharkey's Machine novel is a cracking read. I enjoyed the film but it's not a patch on the book.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    IT (2017)
    An excellent movie, was somewhat skeptical being a big fan of the original movie/mini tv series. The young cast did brilliant and Pennywise was actually excellent, the scene with Billy and Pennywise was actually filmed last and was early in the movie easily the scariest part. Looking forward to chapter two.

Sharkey's machine (1981)
    A dissapointing movie starring and directing Burt Reynolds, too bad the movie did not stick to the book by Diehl. The movie takes great leaps in story and expects you to keep following it. At times not so coherent. Too bad since I have seen Reynolds in better roles perhaps the directing part was just too much.

The Saint (2017)
    The official pilot has been reworked into a tv movie which makes sense perhaps. It is a nice update in the Saint saga and too bad it was not developed into a series. Great scenes with Ian Ogilvy & Roger Moore ( a shedload of Saintly characters involved)

The French Connection (1971)
    What a great movie and that car chase is brilliant, this is the kind of movie that could only have been made in the '60's and '70's.

The Sharkey's Machine novel is a cracking read. I enjoyed the film but it's not a patch on the book.

Sadly my experience as well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Memento (2000)

Just about as brilliant as it's been made out to be for the last 18 years.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Memento (2000)

Just about as brilliant as it's been made out to be for the last 18 years.

It’s not my favorite film, but it has grown on me over time. Definitely a solid flick.
    Mimic (1997). Pretty uninteresting for my taste. The weakest del Toro film I have seen. I have 3 more to go before I’ve seen his whole filmography (Hellboy II, Pacific Rim, and Blade II).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mimic (1997). Pretty uninteresting for my taste. The weakest del Toro film I have seen. I have 3 more to go before I’ve seen his whole filmography (Hellboy II, Pacific Rim, and Blade II).

Was it the theatrical cut? I have both cuts on dvd it's been a while since I watched Mimic though I remember liking the directors cut more I recall it being much more atmospheric.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=761564

Was it the theatrical cut? I have both cuts on dvd it's been a while since I watched Mimic though I remember liking the directors cut more I recall it being much more atmospheric.

I think theatrical. The huge problem is the characters/acting are quite unimpressive, which is bizarre for a del Toro film. Usually those are some of the best aspects of his movies.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,406

I think theatrical. The huge problem is the characters/acting are quite unimpressive, which is bizarre for a del Toro film. Usually those are some of the best aspects of his movies.

There were alot of problems during production, I was curious about the film due to Del Toro. I think I'll see if i can get it on Bluray see how the visuals stand up.

There were alot of problems during production, I was curious about the film due to Del Toro. I think I'll see if i can get it on Bluray see how the visuals stand up.

I’ve become a Del Toro fan myself, though not all his films are my cup of tea (Mimic, Cronos). Shape of Water, Pan’s Labyrinth, and Devil’s Backbone are all sure-fire classics though and are among my favorite movies. And Hellboy was cool.

I’ve become a Del Toro fan myself, though not all his films are my cup of tea (Mimic, Cronos). Shape of Water, Pan’s Labyrinth, and Devil’s Backbone are all sure-fire classics though and are among my favorite movies. And Hellboy was cool.

I watched Mimic not knowing it was Del Toro back in the 90's, Pans Labyrinth and Hellboy and Blade 2 are the films that made me pay attention to Del Toro. A Del Toro produced Spanish language film called The Orphanage as a side note is worth a look, it's a film I enjoyed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I had no idea that was Del Toro. I saw it when it was released and enjoyed it, although I much preferred the same year's Relic.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    MIMIC felt like del Toro directing an episode of the X Files. I like both del Toro and The X Files, but I don't mean that in a good way. It's not horrible, of course: his great visual style is all over the film, every frame look great, the creature design is cool, etc. But the first half of the film is slow, there's too much focus on action over character to start with, one of the subplots fails to go anywhere, and the score doesn't pair well with the film.

As a movie it's fine enough but as a del Toro film there's something lacking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

So that was Del Toro? I remember not liking it.Don t remember anything else.
    Most rankings I’ve seen online seem to be agreed that Mimic is his weakest film. Don’t know how I’ll feel about Blade II and Pacific Rim, but I’m likely to enjoy Hellboy II.
    Black Panther.

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I am pleased that it is performing so well at the box office. Just get a vibe that he may become the figure head of the Avengers going forward?
    I recently re-watched The Sign of Four (1987)
    sign4.jpg

This version is surely the closest anyone has come to transferring the spirit and letter of Doyle's stories to film. And it stars what might be the best Holmes and Watson to ever appear onscreen, Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke. The Sign of Four is a very close adaptation of Conan Doyle's novel, but that would count for nothing if it wasn't stylishly directed, sumptuously produced, and perfectly acted.

It was also made at the right time, when the Granada Sherlock Holmes TV series had proven a success and received the go-ahead and financial backing to expand its format. The Sign of Four was filmed in 35mm with a lavish (for TV) budget and presents a convincing vision of Holmes's world, from the cluttered Victorian furnishings to a steam launch chase down the Thames. Jeremy Brett was at the peak of his powers, before manic depression and heart failure permanently wrecked his health. His mercurial Holmes lives only for detection--without a case he's twitchy and irritable; on the trail he's suave and scintillating. Opposite him, Hardwicke's Watson is grizzled paragon of common sense and decency. The other players (Jenny Seagrove, John Thaw, Ronald Lacey) are a perfectly cast assortment of eccentrics.

Director Peter Hammond is over-fond of compositions involving mirrors, but he keeps the eye (and the actors) occupied. At its best the film is a catalogue of quintessential Sherlockiana: London fog, hidden treasure, the Baker Street Irregulars, and Holmes's outlandish disguises, violin playing, and elaborate deductions. The plot is classically Holmesian, involving Imperial misdeeds coming home to haunt their perpetrators. Some have criticized the film for the lengthy flashback near the end, but this is the emotional heart of the film, the why-done-it that comes after the criminal's apprehension and gives a tragic coloring to his crimes. It gives the literal Sign of Four an ethical resonance.

Like all of the Granada Holmes productions, The Sign of Four has been remastered and released on Blu-Ray (which prompted my re-watch). It looks great but whoever handled the color correction eliminated the day-for-night effects, so many scenes are brighter then they should be.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Annihilation

Weird. Also kinda crap. But most of all weird. You won't understand my loss for words unless you see it.
    Family Business (1989)
    Starring: Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman, Matthew Broderick

Directored by: Sidney Lumet

Not bad but i wish it was a bit better.
    001 wrote: »
    Family Business (1989)

Yeah disappointing.
    That was the time Connery had his throat operation so I don't think he was that well.

barryt007 wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    Family Business (1989)

Yeah disappointing.
    That was the time Connery had his throat operation so I don't think he was that well.

Connery still kicked ass but the script lacked something special.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    Last night I saw ODD MAN OUT (1947), directed by Carol Reed. It was excellent. Tense and atmospheric. Has a tiny bit of a Dubliners quality about it, the manner it weaves through a city full of characters, though it is set in Northern Ireland. I might even prefer this to THE THRID MAN, but I'd have to watch it again as I haven't seen it in some time.
    Annihilation

Weird. Also kinda crap. But most of all weird. You won't understand my loss for words unless you see it.
    Almost saw this yesterday, as I've really been looking forward to it. I enjoyed EX MACHINA and I like Natalie so I have good hopes for it.
    Annihilation

That bad, ehh? Reviews seemed quite favorable, but it's not making any sort of dent at the box office. I wonder if it has to do with the Netflix deal, given that it'll be on Netflix internationally in, what, two weeks now? Can't blame people for not rushing out to pay to see it when they can catch it from the comfort of their home.

I won't be surprised if this is the state of moviegoing in a decade or two, max, or at least a consistent option. I can see Netflix and other platforms eventually shelling out to make deals like this, inevitably offering movies the day of their theatrical release.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Annihilation

That bad, ehh? Reviews seemed quite favorable, but it's not making any sort of dent at the box office. I wonder if it has to do with the Netflix deal, given that it'll be on Netflix internationally in, what, two weeks now? Can't blame people for not rushing out to pay to see it when they can catch it from the comfort of their home.

I won't be surprised if this is the state of moviegoing in a decade or two, max, or at least a consistent option. I can see Netflix and other platforms eventually shelling out to make deals like this, inevitably offering movies the day of their theatrical release.

Sky have done a similar thing with that Bruce Lee film and Monster Family,i think its called.
    The day they came out in the cinema,they were also released on Sky Cinema the same day.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Annihilation

I was planning to see this but will give it a miss. I was 50:50 because the trailers looked a bit naff and it seemed like a 'girl power' flick.
    Annihilation

Sky have done a similar thing with that Bruce Lee film and Monster Family,i think its called.
    The day they came out in the cinema,they were also released on Sky Cinema the same day.

I know the aforementioned deal I brought up affects Netflix globally, sans the United States for some reason. Guess it's just part of the deal.

That new Shaft film is going to have the same deal: releases in theaters, drops internationally on Netflix just two or three weeks after release everywhere except for the U.S.
    Annihilation

I know the aforementioned deal I brought up affects Netflix globally, sans the United States for some reason. Guess it's just part of the deal.

That new Shaft film is going to have the same deal: releases in theaters, drops internationally on Netflix just two or three weeks after release everywhere except for the U.S.

This cant be doing the cinemas any good.
    Oh, will it be on Netflix release soon even in the US? I had heard about the international distribution deal.

I'll still probably go to theater to see it. I don't mind putting money towards auteur-driven studio projects when I think they look interesting. Not that it'll help, though. They seem to be doing less than well at the moment.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Annihilation

This cant be doing the cinemas any good.

The cinemas are getting bullied by Disney these days.