Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 615
    hires2966_f06929ccfcd76d47bbc34bdede3790af.jpg
    (Known in the UK as Zombie Creeping Flesh)
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SharkBait wrote: »
    The Mask of Zorro
    Fantastic Four (2005)

Love them both.
    Finally got around to seeing Ladybird. A very sweet film about the bittersweet relations between a girl and her mother and her hometown of Sacramento. I grew up there and recognized almost all of the locations; lots of memories from high school and earlier came back to me while watching. A superb directorial debut, and if Greta Gerwig continues making films as fine (or finer) than she has a terrific future.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,404
    Rocky Great presentation on the Heavy Weight Collection 40th Anniversary boxset, this film is my go to film for motivation and inspiration, I am always locked into this film from the first shot. Some of the best films ever made were from the 70's, raw gritty and pull no punches, pun intended.
    Boogie Nights (1997). An impressive film from PTA; the donut shop scene in particular was memorable and harrowing. My finished ranking of PTA’s films - at least for now:

1. There Will Be Blood (an all-time favorite)
    2. The Master (great; extremely good acting and story)
    3. Punch-Drunk Love (surprisingly great and entertaining)
    4. Phantom Thread (great, one of the past year’s best)
    5. Boogie Nights (pretty good; there were a couple spots that dragged near the end, but overall still very impressive)
    6. Hard Eight (a solid debut film)

7. Magnolia (not bad, but not my cup of tea; too much going on at once)
    8. Inherent Vice (dull; it didn’t work for me)
    Glad you enjoyed it, @FoxRox. Good ranking, too. The only ones we would seem to disagree on are THE MASTER (bit lower for me) and INHERENT VICE (higher).

Any idea yet whose filmography is up next?
    Strog wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it, @FoxRox. Good ranking, too. The only ones we would seem to disagree on are THE MASTER (bit lower for me) and INHERENT VICE (higher).

Any idea yet whose filmography is up next?

No idea! I might take a break and just watch films at random again for a while. There’s a lot of films I could go for rewatches of too.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,492
    The Killing Of A Sacred Deer

Wow. Not going to say anything other than I loved it. Less you know about this movie, the better. One of, if not the, most unsettling films I've seen in a very long while.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Wow. Not going to say anything other than I loved it. Less you know about this movie, the better. One of, if not the, most unsettling films I've seen in a very long while.
    I agree. I really enjoyed this film too, but it's quite disturbing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »

I desperately want to figure out how it all unfolded, but much like his previous film The Lobster, I have a feeling the explanation is "it just is," and there's really no mystery behind it. Makes it all the more intriguing for me.

I can see this movie creeping into my subconscious and giving me some twisted dreams tonight.
    bondjames wrote: »

I desperately want to figure out how it all unfolded, but much like his previous film The Lobster, I have a feeling the explanation is "it just is," and there's really no mystery behind it. Makes it all the more intriguing for me.

I can see this movie creeping into my subconscious and giving me some twisted dreams tonight.
    I haven't seen The Lobster. I definitely want to check that one out.

This film was up there with mother! as an unexpected treat for 2017. Both had me thinking afterwards.
    Batman Begins (2005). One of the best Batman films there’s ever been.
    My Top 10 is:

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Mask of the Phantasm
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Batman (89)
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. The Killing Joke
    7. Return of the Joker
    8. Under the Red Hood
    9. Batman Returns
    10. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero

5-9 are practically interchangeable for the most part.
    I like all the Nolan Batman films, but I missed the more comic-booky Gotham of Batman Begins in the sequels. Elevated train, the Narrows, all that stuff.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I like all the Nolan Batman films, but I missed the more comic-booky Gotham of Batman Begins in the sequels. Elevated train, the Narrows, all that stuff.
    Yeah, I hear that. Still, I like TDKR a whole lot.
    The whole trilogy ie amazing. Right beside LOTR as my favorite film trilogies.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Is it just me, or are the middle movies of superhero trilogies usually the not-best ones? Just 'connective tissue'?
    Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight, while thoroughly entertaining, just don't hit me as hard as the two that surround each of them....
    chrisisall wrote: »

Is it just me, or are the middle movies of superhero trilogies usually the not-best ones? Just 'connective tissue'?
    Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight, while thoroughly entertaining, just don't hit me as hard as the two that surround each of them....

No. Dark Knight is my favorite movie ever sorry. Also love Spider-Man 2, though the first is my favorite one there.
    Dark Knight is my favorite movie ever
    Wow, THAT is saying a LOT. Maybe it's just that I like closure films. I think that's it.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed. Same here. Incredible piece of work. Both trilogies are top of the pile for me.
    Definitely. Godfather would be right there if 3 wasn't so average.

@chrisisall Dark Knight works perfectly either in the context of the trilogy (the middle chapter of Batman in his prime working against his toughest adversary) or just as an awesome standalone Batman film.

@chrisisall Dark Knight works perfectly either in the context of the trilogy (the middle chapter of Batman in his prime working against his toughest adversary) or just as an awesome standalone Batman film.

Revisiting them ALL next week. New eyes and all that. I may change my mind here.
    Awesome. Had a perfect watch of Begins tonight myself!
    TAKEN (2008)

Liam Neeson as an ex CIA agent seeking his kidnapped daughter in Paris. I thought this was quite fun, and it's a pity my bitter cynicism towards 21st century movies has caused me to catch this one so late. Famke Janssen was great as his ex wife as well looking just as good as she did in GoldenEye. I'll be watching the sequels soon.
    I must say I am now of the opinion Neeson probably would have made an excellent Bond in GE.
    I'll go one even further: I actually think he could have taken over from Pierce after DAD as well.
    Awesome. Had a perfect watch of Begins tonight myself!

"I'm not gonna kill you, but...." yeah. ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

For me TDKR was pretty average too. The first two are excellent though. If I’d be a Bat fan I’m sure I’d put them among my favourites too. I even slightly prefer the first one actually.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Death Train It's an ok TV movie I am watching it at work so missed a few scenes, Brosnan is not far removed from what he ended up bringing to Bond, I always see these types of action vehicles as a test run for potential Bond actors. It’s a shame that with a decent cast the budget was not better.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think TDK trilogy is extremely flawed in retrospect. TDKR could have been a masterpiece, and it is good for the most part, but I'm kind of shocked Nolan made it really. The first two are flawed, but they are smartly written, sharp crime dramas. TDKR is a comic book movie like the avengers, but everyone is sad in it. I feel Nolan got the characters right, both Catwoman and Bane are superbly realised, but the plan and the ideas of the film just seemed all over the place. This is a problem with all three films, but mostly TDKR. The ideas don't seem to be saying something specific and I think they overtake the story sometimes, and disappear at other times. The themes of a film, no matter how grand, are still only one element of the greater whole, and at certain points in the trilogy it seems like the character are only there to exposit, and the experience becomes less like watch a story unfolds and more like reading a thesis. Yes, I do like ideas in my movies, and among his peers Nolan is a master, but I think he made Dunkirk without dialogue because he wanted to develop as a film maker, and the long speeches were certainly a problem for INTERSTELLAR and TDKR.

But, please remember that I am holding these films to such a high standard, because I think Nolan is a genius, which is my I expect so much of him. What he gets right he gets so right, which is why I expect him to do better with the rest. I think Nolan becomes more accomplished with each film in one regard or another. You can see him honing his craft over time, which makes it extra exciting that he might do a Bond film someday.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    What impresses me the most about Nolan is his ability to tell relatively complex stories with many moving parts in crowd pleasing ways. I'm always amazed by his capacity to weave so much into 2.5 hrs. Inception and Interstellar are quite elaborate and imaginative, but he manages to hold everything together nicely. The latter was overly melodramatic, but I'd argue that added to the consequence of the premise. It's a sign of a master storyteller.

Sure, TDKR could have been 'tighter'. Having said that, it's still an epic conclusion to the saga, and brings everything back full circle with impact and meaning. Wayne's arc is beautifully realized, and that's what the last film really was about.

I can't wait to see what he does with James Bond. Should be a walk in the park for him.