The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Thanks, @Birdleson!

I wonder if this one opens new doors to the brothergate angle for a few amount of harmless laughs.

Waltz here is playing a Nazi sailor who's having a dinner with Fleming and Lady O'Neill.

Is the big twist they're saving for B25 that Blofeld is actually Fleming's brother?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The first half is rather good, actually. It's the second half that gets rather boring and introduces some homages we are to buy as inspirations for Fleming putting elements in his later novels.

Stellar cast, though. And Charles Dance is very pleasant to watch, it's almost like watching Fleming's Bond wandering around the screen. I like the film for what it is, and it's a lot better than most of the subsequent efforts, excluding the BBC miniseries.

In my opinion the BBC miniseries as well went too far with certain homages, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Walecs wrote: »
    The first half is rather good, actually. It's the second half that gets rather boring and introduces some homages we are to buy as inspirations for Fleming putting elements in his later novels.

Stellar cast, though. And Charles Dance is very pleasant to watch, it's almost like watching Fleming's Bond wandering around the screen. I like the film for what it is, and it's a lot better than most of the subsequent efforts, excluding the BBC miniseries.

In my opinion the BBC miniseries as well went too far with certain homages, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot.
    Oh indeed, don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against homages. It’s just that this one had done in a most boring way. For example, Fleming looks at that Jamaican girl slowly walking out of the water and he’s instantly making love to her in a boat. But, it’s the way it’s executed that’s boring and wears thinly all over the screen. It gets slow and dramatic as if we are interested in seeing Fleming’s daily life activities like breathing, for instance. That was the second half, which I found rather dull.

The BBC miniseries did all those in an exciting way and Lady O’Neill was done better in her fictionalized format. One thing that she repeated constantly in this one was “Death is the best revenge.” whereas it was said only once by her in the Dominic Cooper adaptation. I’m guessing that’s an actual quote used by Mrs Fleming when her first husband was killed during the war.
    Thanks, @Birdleson!

I wonder if this one opens new doors to the brothergate angle for a few amount of harmless laughs.

Waltz here is playing a Nazi sailor who's having a dinner with Fleming and Lady O'Neill.

Is the big twist they're saving for B25 that Blofeld is actually Fleming's brother?
    To be honest, I can imagine the craziest of things down around this subject, it’s comedic and frightening at the same time. :))
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Thanks, @Birdleson!

Meaning that Blofeld is Bond's uncle?

I can see Blofeld being furious at Fleming since his Bond novels were more successful than Oberhauser's "All Your Pain", which was soon forgotten by the reading public.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Thanks, @Birdleson!

Meaning that Blofeld is Bond's uncle?

I can see Blofeld being furious at Fleming since his Bond novels were more successful than Oberhauser's "All Your Pain", which was soon forgotten by the reading public.
    Pretty much. :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond 25: BLOFELD S YER UNCLE
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    We all know the OHMSS pts was filmed day for night.

Now, take a look at this rip from an old Spanish VHS and pay attention to the light:

I understand the Blue-Ray did "something" with the light too. Which one could be the right version to watch?
    Guys, if I remember correctly, there was once when Toby Stephens screentested for Bond, right? If so, can anybody provide a source link to it?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 6,753
    ggl007 wrote: »
    We all know the OHMSS pts was filmed day for night.

Now, take a look at this rip from an old Spanish VHS and pay attention to the light:

I understand the Blue-Ray did "something" with the light too. Which one could be the right version to watch?
    @ggl007 In the Blu-Ray, the lighting in the PTS is dark, and the beach scene basically appears to be set entirely at night. In the older DVDs (non-Ultimate Edition) the lighting is not as dark, and the scene appears to be set at dusk. The lighting in that VHS copy suggests the scene is set in broad daylight. I think the older DVDs offer the most faithful transfer of the film. This is the first time I see the PTS so bright. I taped the film off TV many years ago and don't recall it looking this bright. I think in the novel the scene is set at dusk, so that would provide further confirmation that the look of the older DVDs is the most accurate one.

By the way, interesting to see the camera zoom in at the end of the letterboxed gunbarrel sequence. Hadn't seen that before. As I said, I taped the film off TV some 22 years ago and in that copy of the film, the gunbarrel was vertically stretched to fit into the 4:3 aspect ratio.
    Guys, if I remember correctly, there was once when Toby Stephens screentested for Bond, right? If so, can anybody provide a source link to it?
    I want to see that. I can already imagine...

"My name is Bond. James Bond."
    graves_copy_3321244b.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I want to see that. I can already imagine...

"My name is Bond. James Bond."
    graves_copy_3321244b.jpg

Well, he's played Bond on the radio at least.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks for the answer, @mattjoes This VHS is really too much "bright"...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2018 Posts: 28,694
    Stephens would be interesting to see in a screen test. He already looked Bondian in DAD with the hair slung down on his right side, and I think dying it black would give him a striking look. But every time I think of him I'm haunted by the Graves performance, unable to see him any other way. I've liked his radio work as Bond, though.

I say this all the time, but we missed out on never seeing Jason Isaacs in the role.
    ustv_awake_jason_isaacs.jpg
    He feels very Flemingesque to me, a modern Hoagy Carmichael but a bit crueler in the looks just like Fleming's Bond, and those blue eyes just a striking as Dan's. He'd have been amazing to see.
    Stephens would be interesting to see in a screen test. He already looked Bondian in DAD with the hair slung down on his right side, and I think dying it black would give him a striking look. But every time I think of him I'm haunted by the Graves performance, unable to see him any other way. I've liked his radio work as Bond, though.

I say this all the time, but we missed out on never seeing Jason Isaacs in the role.
    ustv_awake_jason_isaacs.jpg
    He feels very Flemingesque to me, a modern Hoagy Carmichael but a bit crueler in the looks just like Fleming's Bond, and those blue eyes just a striking as Dan's. He'd have been amazing to see.
    +1. Hear Hear!

Thank God we have Clark Devlin as a small substitute for that. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I honestly don't care what it is, but I'd love to see Isaacs at least handed a role that feels in touch with Fleming's Bond just so I could see what he'd do. The presence and looks are all there, after all.

He'd be the kind of actor I'd select for an HBO miniseries adapting the stories.
    I agree. Sadly, we don't see Isaacs taking the lead in mainstream movies, these days, which is a shame.
    @ClarkDevlin, in doing I search I see that Isaacs played the lead in a series called Case Histories that looks very interesting to my eyes and which I remember seeing previews of years back. He plays a detective type in it, which is largely what I view Bond as. I think I'll have to add that to the soon-to-watch list, simply to see how he does in that kind of role.
    Isaacs has got the old-school touch...
    He reminds me a lot of Dan, in the mouth and in the piercing eyes, he's just got a more elongated and thinner face than Dan's. But definitely the rough around the edges looks that somehow find their way around to becoming attractive.
    @ClarkDevlin, in doing I search I see that Isaacs played the lead in a series called Case Histories that looks very interesting to my eyes and which I remember seeing previews of years back. He plays a detective type in it, which is largely what I view Bond as. I think I'll have to add that to the soon-to-watch list, simply to see how he does in that kind of role.

"Case Histories" had a film noir feel to it - down on his luck PI. It seems to have been superseded by "Strike".
    @vzok, "film noir feel" are words that are music to my ears. Really want to check out Case Histories even more now. From the look I've got, Isaacs character definitely feels in touch with the troubled, weary and beaten up detectives I enjoy watching. I also love that the show fits the BBC model used in other shows like Luther and Sherlock, where the episodes are movie sized mysteries that are narratively focused with no fluff like in American TV. Can't wait to check it out.

I've also found that Isaacs played a detective and an agent respectively in the shows Awake and Dig from a few years back, which also look very interesting. I've got a lot of watching to do!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    After seeing Issacs in Star Trek Discovery, He would have been a great Bond.
    @Murdock, I saw Isaacs had a big part in that. He doesn't seem to be in a lot of big name movies anymore, but he has done a lot of really interesting TV work, so more power to him. TV is where it's at any way these days and looking over his recent work he definitely gets signed onto interesting and well profiled projects.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    In Mel Gibson's The Patriot we get an idea of what he might have been like as Bond. He is the perfect age (37) and plays a ruthless English bastard.

I guess by the time they were casting CR in 2006 he was 43 so just a bit too old. Shame as he could have done a great job and is a ringer for Fleming's original sketch of Bond:
    Fleming007impression.jpg
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Was Muse's Supremacy really a rejected Skyfall song as some think?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No.
    Is there a thread for aliases used by Bond?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Is there a thread for aliases used by Bond?

No. You should create one. Or maybe do it in the statistics thread. It might make for interesting reading. I know I would be. A few I can name.

St John Smythe
    R. Sterling
    James Stock
    i Did not Think so much about Spectre at the Movies but after seen it for a fourth time should this Count Before some of the Connery Movies Before he tangles with Spectre?
    just a thought
    i Did not Think so much about Spectre at the Movies but after seen it for a fourth time should this Count Before some of the Connery Movies Before he tangles with Spectre?
    just a thought

I see the Craig films as in their own bubble/timeline,and don't link them with any of the other Bond films.
    It has its own story-arc unfortunately.