No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Interesting...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Could also explain the lack of news, as they're in the midst of deciding on two different scripts, and thus, two different directors. It does make me wonder why Craig signed on months ago if most of this still hasn't been figured out, but who knows. Could also be hogwash, but Deadline is fairly solid with their scoops, I'd say.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Deadline weighs in:

http://deadline.com/2018/02/james-bond-danny-boyle-john-hodge-daniel-craig-bond-25-queen-elizabeth-ii-mgm-trainspotting-1202298157/

Says that apparently Trainspotting scribe John Hodge has been quietly writing his own Bond script, which won't be done for a few months. Broccoli/Wilson could then either decide to go with what he's done, or go with Purvis/Wade's script, and likely a different director.
    Not sure what to think of this. It seems like a rehash of the story about Nolan working on a competing script from last year, which has since been debunked. Just insert Boyle/Hodge in place of Nolan.

Anyway, let's see.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It’s rather disconcerting that Barbara tweeted in Nov. a director was not in place. I’m really starting to wonder if this movie will be ready to go by Nov. 2019. The lack of news is also extremely worrying especially since the film will most likely start shooting at the end of the year. Unless they’re going the CR route and they start in 2019.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    How can it be a brilliantly directed, if it's just another OK adaption?

Give 5 chefs the same ingredients and you can end up with meals that range from edible to exceptional ; the cook and the director can make a world of difference.

He may consider the source material OK but what Branagh did with it remarkable

Was it? That movie managed to scatter its plot from bad to breakfast, which means something with Christie, whose plots belong to the best constructed and coherent in the business. No suspense whatsoever and that melodramatic monologue of Poirot at the end was simply pathetic.
    I agree. The latest Orient Express adaptation was miserably bad and contained some altered scenes worthy of many cringed faces to make. Loads of melodrama, overdramatic characters, unnecessary additional scenes not present in the book, it was bad. Sorry to say it wasn’t Branagh at his finest, if at all.
    I actually enjoyed the latest Orient film, but it isn't a patch on the legendary 1974 classic. Not even worthy of mention in the same sentence. The earlier film drips with suspense, atmosphere and intrigue, and none of that is present in the latest film.

So why bother with it at all?
    It's a fair question. Well, I suppose if you've got nothing else to do why not? However, if someone hasn't seen the original, I recommend that one instead.

My review of the film is below, for anyone interested:
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/809454/#Comment_809454

I see your review mirrors my sentiments to a large degree.
    If they want Boyle that bad, he could be the driving force behind a muuuuuuch smaller budget. $300 million + is totally unnecessary and almost demands the film be a massive hit for it to be a proper box office success.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,272
    If they want Boyle that bad, he could be the driving force behind a muuuuuuch smaller budget. $300 million + is totally unnecessary and almost demands the film be a massive hit for it to be a proper box office success.

Could make a nice change, if so! Smaller budget Bond is the best Bond, if you ask me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I imagine this delay for a Bond is because the producers want the film to hit the billion dollar mark once more so they want to conceive something worthy of such. At least that's what I figure things are going on BTS.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I don't think DC would commit to Bond 25 if he didn't already know the direction (storyline) that EON was considering. The competing scripts idea only works if both were working with that storyline, and I doubt that.

As much as a Hodge/Boyle Bond film sounds enticing, the linked story is the writer's wet dream.
    The distributor is the key here. If they want to pony up lots of cash, then we have a high budget large scale entry. If they don't, then we go small scale. So everything starts with them. It really would be nice to know who it is.

One thing to keep in mind : As we've discussed before, the Bond brand is one of the strongest in the business. It's especially valuable today, with increasing costs to market, distribute and release films globally. Particularly in an environment where DC seems to have destroyed its portfolio through self-inflicted wounds (Wonder Woman excepted) in the space of a few short years, leaving Disney supreme.

I don't believe that any distributor will want to downscale ambitions when they are sitting on this sort of brand IP. Such a move just doesn't make business sense, especially after the box office success of the last two entries. Rather, I would imagine they would want to capitalize on it, and extend the brand's reach.

For that to happen properly however, MGM/EON are going to have to give up some of the pie, because I can't see anyone wanting to take a s### deal like Sony had. That really could be the reason for the delays.
    Deadline weighs in:

http://deadline.com/2018/02/james-bond-danny-boyle-john-hodge-daniel-craig-bond-25-queen-elizabeth-ii-mgm-trainspotting-1202298157/

Says that apparently Trainspotting scribe John Hodge has been quietly writing his own Bond script, which won't be done for a few months. Broccoli/Wilson could then either decide to go with what he's done, or go with Purvis/Wade's script, and likely a different director.

Perhaps they could use the two scripts to form a two part story, which at the last minute they could shoehorn into one slightly overlong film.
    Deadline weighs in:

Now we are talking! Boyle directing Bond 25 based on a screenplay written by his long time collaborator DOES sound very interesting. This is easily the biggest Bond 25 news/rumour we have had since the announcement about Craig's return last summer.
    If it panned out, I'd most certainly warm more to a Boyle film directed by someone that isn't Purvis and Wade.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    vzok wrote: »
    Deadline weighs in:

Perhaps they could use the two scripts to form a two part story, which at the last minute they could shoehorn into one slightly overlong film.

I see what you've done there. ;-)
    Most likely to direct Bond 25 as of late February:

1. Danny Boyle
    [huge gap]
    2. Yann Demange
    3. Denis Villeneuve
    4. Sam Mendes

Basically everyone other than Boyle seems highly unlikely right now. It will be Boyle or someone who hasn't seriously been rumoured so far.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’d actually be ok with a QOS-esque Bond film for Bond 25. It’s Craig’s least emotional installment which is nice and traditional.

That’s like actually my dream
    I’d actually be ok with a QOS-esque Bond film for Bond 25. It’s Craig’s least emotional installment which is nice and traditional.

That’s like actually my dream

Could be cool if it comes true. It has grown on me lately.

I hope, in the indecision of not being able to pick a script, they do not combine the two. That would be a disastrous Frankenstein.
  • I'm a little suspicious of this idea.

It seems slightly dangerous to develop two scripts concurrently. I wonder what made EON entertain Boyle enough to allow him to bring on his own writer and silently work on getting their own version of the story into development.

So what happens if the Boyle script doesn't come together? To the Broccolis earnestly go back to Yann Demange and ask him to film the P&W script? This whole situation seems murky. Clearly there is a lack of confidence and faith at EON.

This is even more concerning, especially as the film goes into pre-production in a few months and filming commences in 9 months.

Interesting video here of Boyle. He seems like a Fleming fan:

TripAces wrote: »
    I don't think DC would commit to Bond 25 if he didn't already know the direction (storyline) that EON was considering. The competing scripts idea only works if both were working with that storyline, and I doubt that.

As much as a Hodge/Boyle Bond film sounds enticing, the linked story is the writer's wet dream.

I don't think EON would go for the competing script idea without Craig's approval too. Whatever P&W had planned initially is what got him signed on officially, who's to say he doesn't like Boyle's idea?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    There have been rumours for some time out there that Broccoli was entertaining other ideas, and wasn't wed to anything in particular. I'm not sure if that's because she's not necessarily excited about P&W's efforts to date, or if it's because they're trying to placate and attract a suitable distributor (and who knows what they want).

Irrespective, I'm happy to learn that they are apparently looking at all sorts of alternatives. This is better than sticking within an echo chamber and burying one's head in the sand.

Having said that, this could all just be a load of B/S too, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
    Seems like the momentum is really building on this new rumor. Maybe it has some significance. Only time will tell of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if P&W turned in another mediocre script and Broccoli looked to someone else.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I just want a broken down bond like CR for B25 with a strong screen play full of good dialogue and nice twists and turns that make up a good plot.

It’s not a mistake that my 2 favorite bond films CR and FRWL have good somewhat complex stories
    Seems like the momentum is really building on this new rumor. Maybe it has some significance. Only time will tell of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if P&W turned in another mediocre script and Broccoli looked to someone else.

They might hold on to the P&W script as a fall back option, and then save it for B26.
    vzok wrote: »

They might hold on to the P&W script as a fall back option, and then save it for B26.

that's exactly what the Deadline article says, if they don't like the Hodge/Boyle script, it goes back to that P&W script with that shortlist including Demange/Mackenzie/Villeneuve
    Does the distributor approve the script? If so, does this mean they already have a distributor, or does it mean they are going to shop the competing ideas to a prospective distributor for signoff?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 154
    Someone here had recently expressed that Tamahori was probably chosen to go a different (humorous) route after TWINE. Not exactly. I understand that DAD was a response to XXX with Vin Diesel and responses from some on the Internet that it had better (over the top) action sequences than Bond due much to the use of CGI. Tamahori was the logical choice since he did XXX and could bring CGI to the fore in Bond. Since the 60s, when Bond led a cultural movement, the filmmakers have chased what is popular -- Blacksploitation in LALD; martial arts/kung fu in TMWTGG; Star Wars in MR; dark/violent action in late 80s such as Lethal Weapon and Segal's Above the Law in LTK; Luc Besson's District 13 and a dozen Asian films that featured parkour in CR; Jason Borne and shaky cam technique in QOS; and so on.

I'd ask whoever is working on Bond 25 to be trailblazers, not copy cats. Imitating what is popular doesn't necessarily make you relevant -- good scripts that are well-executed will do far more to help ensure that Bond is a part of our culture in the years to come.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Tamahori did the second xXx which arrived three years after DAD. But, yes, you're right on that front.
    writer5150 wrote: »
    Someone here had recently expressed that Tamahori was probably chosen to go a different (humorous) route after TWINE. Not exactly. DAD was a response to XXX with Vin Diesel and responses from some on the Internet that it had better action sequences than Bond. Tamahori was the logical choice since he did XXX.
    Tamahori did the sequel. Rob Cohen directed the Vin Diesel entry, which was released in the same year as DAD so I don't think it was an influence. I've always assumed Austin Powers had an impact on the route they took for DAD (parodic, while also embracing the history given it was an anniversary film).
    writer5150 wrote: »
    I'd ask whoever is working on Bond 25 to be trailblazers, not copy cats. Imitating what is popular doesn't necessarily make you relevant -- good scripts that are well-executed will do far more to help ensure that Bond is a part of our culture in the years to come.
    I'd prefer that too. There is a rich history within the franchise (films and novels) to embrace. I really don't want to see a rumoured 'Logan' sendoff.