I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I always loved Sean's nostril-flares...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    peter wrote: »
    @peter, for some reason GF is where Sean really doubled down on that, but not so much in the other movies. When I think of his performance of GF I either think of the feeling of sex he gives off in his chase for the women, or the flaring of the nostrils, that's how prominent it feels to me. :))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The guy was all masculine sex... I'm convinced his pheromones, leaking off the screen, helped me get my wife pregnant x 3, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The guy was all masculine sex... I'm convinced his pheromones, leaking off the screen, helped me get my wife pregnant x 3, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Out through his nostrils?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Out through his nostrils?

Eewww!
    Sean Connery does a Roger Moore nod in Thunderball.

Good one!! I'll have to look for it the next time I watch TB.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @peter, I can only speak for myself on this, but it's well documented that Sean Connery in GF made me question some choice things about myself (and still does).

There are just some men out there, no matter how assured you are in your heterosexuality, that you must admit are the male equivalent of a drop-dead knockout. For me that's only ever been and only ever will be Sean Connery, specifically in 1964. From the 60s onwards Sean has made it harder for everyone sharing his gender to be men, but what an example to live up to. The bastard.
    Sean is the man.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @peter, for some reason GF is where Sean really doubled down on that, but not so much in the other movies. When I think of his performance of GF I either think of the feeling of sex he gives off in his chase for the women, or the flaring of the nostrils, that's how prominent it feels to me. :))

Sean Connery nostril flare compilation from me?

Ooh, by all means delight me.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,984
    @ForYourEyesOnly, well, at least Sean got nostril flaring to his name. Between that, Roger's brows, Tim's glares and face clenching, Brosnan's pain faces and Dan's pouting, we've got a nutty bunch of James Bonds here. What expressions they make!

Poor old Lazenby being neglected here. At least he has the dubious honour of being the only overdubbed Bond.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Sean Connery does a Roger Moore nod in Thunderball.

Good one!! I'll have to look for it the next time I watch TB.

I assume you don't want me telling you where it is, so I'll keep quiet. :)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Only in GF does he do it? Could you make a list? I'm not totally certain I know what you mean.

Only in GF does he do it? Could you make a list? I'm not totally certain I know what you mean.
    @PropertyOfALady, he flared his nostrils in films before and after GF, but in GF he does it A LOT. I'll get back to you on this in PM....
    When CR'06 was released they made a comment that it was the first Bond movie in which it rains! But watching OHMSS the other night, the scene where Tracy and Draco drop Bond off at Gumbolds office its definitely raining then!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    When CR'06 was released they made a comment that it was the first Bond movie in which it rains! But watching OHMSS the other night, the scene where Tracy and Draco drop Bond off at Gumbolds office its definitely raining then!
    I guess they meant that CR was the only Bond film to show rain falling quite heavily. I think what we see in OHMSS is a short time after a downpour, but with probably nothing more than a light drizzle coming down once Bond and company arrive to do their business.
    Rain is rain!! I live in Ireland, i know rain!!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Another new one for me in DN and I don't know why I haven't spotted this before.
    When the three blind mice murder Strangways outside the Queens club they're wearing their everyday suits. Yet in the very next scene when they arrive at Strangways house and shoot his secretary, they're all wearing black jackets.
    Never registered for some reason.
    That's the joy of the films. You still pick up little bits like that.
    I also like the scene after Bond has arrived at government house. All the evidence, such as cigarette and gun are in evidence envelopes that Bond passes to the commissioner.
    It's these little touches that make DN the stand out film for me. Bond offering M his lighter when M realises he's got no matches to light his pipe is one of my favourites.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Watching TB it just occurred to me, what is the only Bond film (aside from CR '67) where 007 does not ride on it in some form of aquatic vehicle?

OHMSS?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Watching TB it just occurred to me, what is the only Bond film (aside from CR '67) where 007 does not ride on it in some form of aquatic vehicle?

Great question...

...unless I’m forgetting, the only ones that come to mind are GF and OHMSS. In some capacity, even if very briefly, it happens in all the others.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well, Bond was almost taken for a ride in that boat on the beach in OHMSS.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Poor old Lazenby being neglected here. At least he has the dubious honour of being the only overdubbed Bond.

Wasn't Connery dubbed in DAF to show the voice recogniser machine working?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NicNac wrote: »

Wasn't Connery dubbed in DAF to show the voice recogniser machine working?
    Of course he was.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I never knew that the statue that Bond rams into during the tank chase in GE features a horse named Pegasus, the very same name of Max Zorin's horse in AVTAK.
    There's an interesting and present shared element I'm appreciating a bit more in both QoS and SF, despite these adjacent films being as different as many we've seen in the series due to how the stripped back nature of the former led to a reintegration of those dropped elements in the latter in big ways.

I find it interesting that the two films partially feature Bond reacting to the events in the narratives with a form of repression, with mental repression manifesting itself in QoS and a more physical repression being present in SF (though there's a bit of mental drama here too). In QoS Bond is actively trying to hide/repress his feelings for Vesper from his MI6 masters to avoid coming off as compromised or vulnerable, and in SF we find Bond again attempting to repress his pain from his superiors at the agency, except this time around his pain is physical as he faces strain in trying to pass his examination.

I like how the scenes in QoS and SF are played when Bond is actively repressing his feelings, as they are played in a way that really gives them a form of continuity when it comes to how Bond acts; he feels like the same man in SF as he was in QoS, just a few years on at that point. The scene where Bond sneaks the picture of Vesper in front of M just after vehemently arguing to his boss how little the woman meant to him is a quiet scene that wonderfully compliments a similar moment in SF where, after extensive physical training, Bond collapses and reveals his physical weakness in private as soon as Tanner and the other MI6 reps leave the room. Moments like these build up Craig's Bond as a very distinct take on the character, always attempting to hide his vulnerabilities and keeping his guard up when around those who could judge or harm him with it down.

Details like this go a long way towards how I like to argue that films in a series can have a sense of continuity that goes beyond the narrative, where a sequel or series of sequels can carry continuity without each film progressing the same overreaching arc or story line. The continuity in the Craig era is definitely strong in the narrative form, especially in CR and QoS and then later in SP as things tie together, but even from QoS to SF where the narrative continuity isn't as stressed as the others we can see how the continuity of these characters and how they've developed can still play a part in connecting the films on some perceptible level. Bond still represses himself as he always has when facing challenges in SF, just as his relationship with M goes full circle after being built up across the past films. We can additionally see how Bond's interactions with Severine are driven in the background by thoughts of Vesper, as he spots the same fear as he didn't spot soon enough of his old love. And in another similar connection between QoS and SF, we go from a movie that teaches us about the negative side of revenge and the hollowness of the action (QoS) to a film that presents M being the target of such a revenge scheme by a man who ultimately represents that same hollowness of existence through his mission, having nothing to live for but causing harm to an old woman when all was said and done. The lessons and experiences of Bond in QoS definitely experience some carryover in SF, and I think in unexpected but fascinating ways.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Not counting the TS, Bond isn’t seen in a tie until the 58th minute of CR. I am thinking that this is the longest we go in any Bond film before seeing Bond in one.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There's an interesting and present shared element I'm appreciating a bit more in both QoS and SF, despite these adjacent films being as different as many we've seen in the series due to how the stripped back nature of the former led to a reintegration of those dropped elements in the latter in big ways.

I find it interesting that the two films partially feature Bond reacting to the events in the narratives with a form of repression, with mental repression manifesting itself in QoS and a more physical repression being present in SF (though there's a bit of mental drama here too). In QoS Bond is actively trying to hide/repress his feelings for Vesper from his MI6 masters to avoid coming off as compromised or vulnerable, and in SF we find Bond again attempting to repress his pain from his superiors at the agency, except this time around his pain is physical as he faces strain in trying to pass his examination.

I like how the scenes in QoS and SF are played when Bond is actively repressing his feelings, as they are played in a way that really gives them a form of continuity when it comes to how Bond acts; he feels like the same man in SF as he was in QoS, just a few years on at that point. The scene where Bond sneaks the picture of Vesper in front of M just after vehemently arguing to his boss how little the woman meant to him is a quiet scene that wonderfully compliments a similar moment in SF where, after extensive physical training, Bond collapses and reveals his physical weakness in private as soon as Tanner and the other MI6 reps leave the room. Moments like these build up Craig's Bond as a very distinct take on the character, always attempting to hide his vulnerabilities and keeping his guard up when around those who could judge or harm him with it down.

I assumed he grabbed the picture as a means to identifying Yusef, rather than for sentimental reasons.
    NicNac wrote: »

I assumed he grabbed the picture as a means to identifying Yusef, rather than for sentimental reasons.

That's how I see it.
    He is saving it for later,when he will get revenge on Yusef,after his mission is completed.

Which is what he did.

I came to that conclusion too, until the scene on the plane with Mathis, where he seems to be drowning his sorrows over the photo, which made me think it was for Vesper!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yes, @Mathis1, Bond viewing (then hiding from Mathis) the photo while he's binging on Vesper martinis on the jet is key. He doesn't wear it on his sleeve, but it's there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I still think it was to help him think about Vesper. The photo is folded in half, and the only time he breaks it out is during that scene on the plane. Surely MI6 would've had a file on Yusef.