I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yes, I've noticed that before, he does seem uncomfortable there.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'll have to check this out when I see Dr. No next. It would fit Dent's overall character, in that he was a man who really didn't play the danger game well. Even the simple task of taking a tarantula to Bond's hotel brings out anxiety in him and when he's in Bond's sights later he's truly out of his element and can't even keep a ready count of the shots he's fired. He was in the criminal world but was unsuited to its expectations of him.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Interesting thoughts here. Last time I watched DN I noticed an air of suspicion about Dent during that bridge scene, but didn't pick up that he seemed uncomfortable to look at Strangways. I'll keep an eye out for it next time around.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It's one of the things I really love about Dr. No, making it more grounded. Like Fields in QoS was out of her depth in the hard spy world.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2017 Posts: 8,093
    Has anyone noticed how each actors fourth outing has a theme song that works 10 times better as an instrumental?

Case in point:

• I’ll grant you the others, but—not a fan of Thunderball?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I personally loved Jones' powerful vocals on TB & Bassey's on MR too.
  • Bassey is a legend of course, but I find something sleep-inducing about her vocals on Moonraker.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I always felt it was intended to be mellow, to differentiate itself from her earlier, brassier vocals and fit in more with Roger's more laid back portrayal.
  • A little too mellow I think. It’s good for falling asleep at night.

But then DAD is good for BDSM nightclubs and WOTW is good for if you’re an emo girl who’s just been dumped by her boyfriend. So as Mendes says, something about those 4th films...
    ....and WOTW is good for if you’re an emo girl who’s just been dumped by her boyfriend.
    This is certainly true. It's not good for much else as far as I'm concerned. I sincerely hope we are never subjected to such horror again. I'll even take Newman recycling SF again than another '30 minute' teenage pandering attempt by Smith.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I know where both Newman and Smith can go with their awful music. ;)
    DapperNiftyAntipodesgreenparakeet-small.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »

Even AFTER an offer of a delicatessen in stainless steel?!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Even AFTER an offer of a delicatessen in stainless steel?!

@Creasy47, No because they offered me droning noise in a soundproof room. Who the hell wants that!?! =))

I said "alright keep your tin ears on." ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In The Living Daylights during the scene where Bond interrogates Pushkin. Pushkin reassures Rubavitch by saying "It's alright."
    It's very quiet and subtle, but I'd never noticed it before now. Which is odd as that scene is one of my all time favourite Bond scenes.

Also in The Living Daylights during the airbase battle scene, we see Kamran Shah driving around in an orange digger causing havoc. He then uses it to destroy a gun emplacement destroying the digger in the process.
    Shortly after we get a scene from Kara's perspective of the battle, and we clearly see the orange digger driving around still. Obviously an editing error. But again I don't recall noticing it before.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,554
    In CR, Carlos kills the truck driver with the same twist of the head/neck as Hinx did during the meeting in SP. Same training?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TripAces wrote: »
    In CR, Carlos kills the truck driver with the same twist of the head/neck as Hinx did during the meeting in SP. Same training?
    This doesn't seem to be widely known, but Carlos and Hinx did in fact graduate summa cum laude from The Mute School for Killers in Training. Carlos obviously majored in bomb making and Hinx really fell into love with his trademark metal fingertips after experimenting in his elective course of metalworking.
    giphy.gif
    Benny wrote: »
    In The Living Daylights during the scene where Bond interrogates Pushkin. Pushkin reassures Rubavitch by saying "It's alright."
    It's very quiet and subtle, but I'd never noticed it before now. Which is odd as that scene is one of my all time favourite Bond scenes.
    @Benny, that's one of my favorite little moments too. Pushkin is one of my favorite Bond characters for just how well TLD builds him up as a very decent man despite him initially being built as a Russian enemy to Bond (via Koskov) in much the same way that the Moore films constantly made you see the honorable and kind nature of Gogol despite his position of opposition inside the USSR with goals that often brought him into conflict with the west.

The very sweet moment of protection Pushkin gives his lover is quite endearing to him as a character, as the film is presenting him as a man with principles and honor right off the bat: he will accept whatever punishment he is getting, whether it's earned or not, but he doesn't want anyone he cares about hurt. The entire scene of Bond interrogating Pushkin is predicated on the latter bringing flowers to his mate, which already begins to show Pushkin in a vastly different light than Koskov has portrayed him. By doing so, TLD smartly plays with expectation and, if you are fooled by Koskov's scheme, you become surprised to find that Pushkin isn't a bad man at all and is really quite honorable and driven by a strict code.

I also love the moment between Pushkin and his lover later in the film, after he fakes his assassination. For the plan to work and for Koskov and Necros to think Pushkin really had died, Pushkin and Bond couldn't tell Pushkin's lover about it. Her horror in that scene is palpable as Pushkin is shot, and the minute that he is able to reveal himself as very much alive the man instantly comforts his mate and breathlessly apologizes for putting her through that ordeal. It's a shame we never see Pushkin after that, but he is a smartly crafted character and played brilliantly by Davies, continuing the trend of the Bond series imbuing the Cold War Russians with honest humanity and decency that very much underscores the message of detente those movies portray as a sort of sub-theme.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think the Russian Army may have more than
    One orange digger ;-)
    This doesn't seem to be widely known, but Carlos and Hinx did in fact graduate summa cum laude from The Mute School for Killers in Training. Carlos obviously majored in bomb making and Hinx really fell into love with his trademark metal fingertips after experimenting in his elective course of metalworking.
    giphy.gif
    @Benny, that's one of my favorite little moments too. Pushkin is one of my favorite Bond characters for just how well TLD builds him up as a very decent man despite him initially being built as a Russian enemy to Bond (via Koskov) in much the same way that the Moore films constantly made you see the honorable and kind nature of Gogol despite his position of opposition inside the USSR with goals that often brought him into conflict with the west.

The very sweet moment of protection Pushkin gives his lover is quite endearing to him as a character, as the film is presenting him as a man with principles and honor right off the bat: he will accept whatever punishment he is getting, whether it's earned or not, but he doesn't want anyone he cares about hurt. The entire scene of Bond interrogating Pushkin is predicated on the latter bringing flowers to his mate, which already begins to show Pushkin in a vastly different light than Koskov has portrayed him. By doing so, TLD smartly plays with expectation and, if you are fooled by Koskov's scheme, you become surprised to find that Pushkin isn't a bad man at all and is really quite honorable and driven by a strict code.

I also love the moment between Pushkin and his lover later in the film, after he fakes his assassination. For the plan to work and for Koskov and Necros to think Pushkin really had died, Pushkin and Bond couldn't tell Pushkin's lover about it. Her horror in that scene is palpable as Pushkin is shot, and the minute that he is able to reveal himself as very much alive the man instantly comforts his mate and breathlessly apologizes for putting her through that ordeal. It's a shame we never see Pushkin after that, but he is a smartly crafted character and played brilliantly by Davies, continuing the trend of the Bond series imbuing the Cold War Russians with honest humanity and decency that very much underscores the message of detente those movies portray as a sort of sub-theme.

That Bond and Pushkin scene is one of my all time favourite scenes in the series! Didnt realise originally they debated over whether Bond was to kill Pushkins bodyguard when he burst in the door! Think it would have worked better if he did so, more in line with Daltons approach. But it doesn't hurt the scene that much. Bond ripping off Pushkins mistress dressing gown was an eye opener in more ways than one! ( I only realised many years later that the actress playing the mistress was from Mad Max 2!)
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

That Bond and Pushkin scene is one of my all time favourite scenes in the series! Didnt realise originally they debated over whether Bond was to kill Pushkins bodyguard when he burst in the door! Think it would have worked better if he did so, more in line with Daltons approach. But it doesn't hurt the scene that much. Bond ripping off Pushkins mistress dressing gown was an eye opener in more ways than one! ( I only realised many years later that the actress playing the mistress was from Mad Max 2!)

@Mathis1, I'm glad they didn't have Bond kill anyone in that scene, as I actually think that would've run counter to Dalton's approach. Some here seem to think his Bond is unstable, so close to the edge and nearly off it, but I never get that impression. He's a pretty stand-up guy, even when he must follow his orders. I mean, the whole reason he's even meeting Pushkin in the hotel is because he completely ignores M's orders to kill Pushkin. Bond knows Pushkin and doubts that he's scheming against them in such a vile way, so he does his due diligence and makes sure the man is guilty before taking any action, which is the mark of a true professional and, in a way, a compassionate man.

Bond's handling of Pushkin under the circumstances is honorable, and fits Dalton's portrayal well. He has an edge to a degree, as I think all the Bonds do, but shooting a man in cold blood wouldn't be one of his traits. There's a very human appeal to him and how Dalton plays him, and the shades of Fleming's Bond he brings out best, a certain avoidance of direct conflict, is one of them. I couldn't picture Fleming's Bond popping a bodyguard in that situation, nor could I imagine Dalton's doing so.
    You're probably right. They made the right decision. Still a great scene! In a great Bond movie!
  • The Ambassador's servant in Octopussy appears in A View to a Kill with the cup that is awarded to Zorin at the horse racing .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Ambassador's servant in Octopussy appears in A View to a Kill with the cup that is awarded to Zorin at the horse racing .

Really? That is a good observation.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

"You're fading from my picture, @Murdock, but the end cannot be far away... so I'm gonna play The Moors."
    The Moors could become like the long forgotten 007 theme (last heard in MR) if Newman continues. Something reserved for climax action scenes.
    mattjoes wrote: »

"You're fading from my picture, @Murdock, but the end cannot be far away... so I'm gonna play The Moors."

I can think of something more sociable to do. ;)

bondjames wrote: »
    The Moors could become like the long forgotten 007 theme (last heard in MR) if Newman continues. Something reserved for climax action scenes.

God I hope not, Barry's 007 theme had actual thought and complexity put into it. Newman's Moors track is someone strumming the same note on an electric guitar nine times repeatedly while the string section occasionally sweeps in rising and lowering.
    I was just winding you and others up @Murdock.

I certainly don't want to ever hear a variant of it again. Whenever I think of the finale that tune goes off in my head, and not in a good way.

If they get the score right for B25 it will go a long way to making me enjoy the film, even if there are other elements of it that I may not be happy with.
    @bondjames, I gotcha and I agree. here's hoping we'll get a great and memorable score for B25. I don't think I could take another disappointing Bond score.
    Me neither @Murdock. It's a huge element of why I became a Bond fan to begin with.

Of course the director will have a significant influence on who the composer ultimately is too, so we'll just have to wait to see who they pick to helm the next one and then we can speculate about what that will mean for the eventual composer.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Me neither @Murdock. It's a huge element of why I became a Bond fan to begin with.

Of course the director will have a significant influence on who the composer ultimately is too, so we'll just have to wait to see who they pick to helm the next one and then we can speculate about what that will mean for the eventual composer.

@bondjames same here, That gunbarrel is a great hook for lovers of music.

And that is true, for better or worse. Hopefully the former.