I've never noticed that before...

Comments

Just realized a small plot hole in the series. In YOLT, Bond tells Henderson he has never been to Japan before, but there’s a line in FRWL when Bond says he and M had an interesting experience in Tokyo.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Just realized a small plot hole in the series. In YOLT, Bond tells Henderson he has never been to Japan before, but there’s a line in FRWL when Bond says he and M had an interesting experience in Tokyo.

Yes,i've always noted that.
    But the flippant way Bond says it to Tanya makes me think its a cheeky off the cuff comment.(Thats the way i convince myself anyway ;) )
    Yeah. I don’t know how I didn’t catch that before. It’s easy to see how they would forget that minor line though when they did YOLT.
    Yeah. I don’t know how I didn’t catch that before. It’s easy to see how they would forget that minor line though when they did YOLT.

Yep,it could easily be that as well..im just trying to apply selfish logic so these blips make sense in my Bondian mind haha.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Perhaps Tokyo was a gentlemen's club ? ;-)
    Perhaps Tokyo was a gentlemen's club ? ;-)

Kinky....
    It’s whatever you want it to be! It’s the smallest kind of plot hole anyway so it doesn’t bug me. You could just get rid of either the one line in YOLT or FRWL.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Or Bond was just lying to Henderson, who after all was Bond's contact there and whom should tell Bond as much about Japan as possible. It'd help Bond there beeing ignorant. Never believe a spy, after all.... ;-)

Or Bond was just lying to Henderson, who after all was Bond's contact there and whom should tell Bond as much about Japan as possible. It'd help Bond there beeing ignorant. Never believe a spy, after all.... ;-)

True..that works as well,make them think Bond doesnt know Japan ,when he does.
    I always thought Bond threw that in about him and M in Tokyo as a way to get under his boss's skin knowing he'd be listening to the tape and it may have just been BS. So maybe he hadn't been there.

As for the YOLT comment, Roald Dahl probably wasn't real up on everything that was in previous films whereas Maibaum, who likely wrote the line, wouldn't have put that in. Unless he wasn't sure at that point of Henderson's authenticity and gave him false information.

BT3366 wrote: »
    I always thought Bond threw that in about him and M in Tokyo as a way to get under his boss's skin knowing he'd be listening to the tape and it may have just been BS. So maybe he hadn't been there.

As for the YOLT comment, Roald Dahl probably wasn't real up on everything that was in previous films whereas Maibaum, who likely wrote the line, wouldn't have put that in. Unless he wasn't sure at that point of Henderson's authenticity and gave him false information.

Agreed...i've always seen it the same way.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Lazenby, Dalton and Craig will all have ended their tenure at the end of the decade.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Watching TB it just occurred to me, what is the only Bond film (aside from CR '67) where 007 does not ride on it in some form of aquatic vehicle?

It's remarkable how many times Bond actually ends the film on a boat of some kind, right from Dr No onwards. The use of helicopters throughout the series is pretty regular too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NicNac wrote: »
    There's an interesting and present shared element I'm appreciating a bit more in both QoS and SF, despite these adjacent films being as different as many we've seen in the series due to how the stripped back nature of the former led to a reintegration of those dropped elements in the latter in big ways.

I find it interesting that the two films partially feature Bond reacting to the events in the narratives with a form of repression, with mental repression manifesting itself in QoS and a more physical repression being present in SF (though there's a bit of mental drama here too). In QoS Bond is actively trying to hide/repress his feelings for Vesper from his MI6 masters to avoid coming off as compromised or vulnerable, and in SF we find Bond again attempting to repress his pain from his superiors at the agency, except this time around his pain is physical as he faces strain in trying to pass his examination.

I like how the scenes in QoS and SF are played when Bond is actively repressing his feelings, as they are played in a way that really gives them a form of continuity when it comes to how Bond acts; he feels like the same man in SF as he was in QoS, just a few years on at that point. The scene where Bond sneaks the picture of Vesper in front of M just after vehemently arguing to his boss how little the woman meant to him is a quiet scene that wonderfully compliments a similar moment in SF where, after extensive physical training, Bond collapses and reveals his physical weakness in private as soon as Tanner and the other MI6 reps leave the room. Moments like these build up Craig's Bond as a very distinct take on the character, always attempting to hide his vulnerabilities and keeping his guard up when around those who could judge or harm him with it down.

I assumed he grabbed the picture as a means to identifying Yusef, rather than for sentimental reasons.
    Could be both, really. I just note the sentimental sort of look Bond gives the picture on the plane, telling us he's thinking of Vesper while having a martini. So, even if his prime goal wasn't to take it as a souvenir, he uses it as one later on. But stealing it to peg Yusef works too, and for all we know Bond had the picture with him as he was driving Greene out into the desert at the end and asked him point blank where he could find that man.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Do you think there is a trend of the Bond girl in an actors first film always being honest or unacquainted with the Spy world, and is only hooked in through means of deception, coercion or victim of circumstance?

They are never in it for their own gain, or trained agents themselves.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't remember if the mention of Japan in FRWL & YOLT ever jumped out at me before, but I prefer that Bond truly does go to Japan for the first time in the latter simply because one of the things I really like about the movie is how culture clashed Bond feels in it. The fish out of water way he integrates into that world is quite fascinating to see as he rallies with a fresh and sometimes strange culture compared to his western one, and that makes his adventures in Japan stand apart from the other locations in the Connery films, locations we're led to believe he'd traveled to many times before in the past. Japan feels very different, and I love that.
    I can't remember if the mention of Japan in FRWL & YOLT ever jumped out at me before, but I prefer that Bond truly does go to Japan for the first time in the latter simply because one of the things I really like about the movie is how culture clashed Bond feels in it. The fish out of water way he integrates into that world is quite fascinating to see as he rallies with a fresh and sometimes strange culture compared to his western one, and that makes his adventures in Japan stand apart from the other locations in the Connery films, locations we're led to believe he'd traveled to many times before in the past. Japan feels very different, and I love that.

Yeah, definitely. Even today, Japan feels like an alien world as we accompany Bond. I can only imagine what audiences at the time felt about it since travel still wasn't what it is today. In addition to the Ken Adam sets you have a whole country to add to the atmosphere along with John Barry's appropriate score.

I'm not a big YOLT fan, but that wouldn't stop me from saying it's possibly the most atmospheric film of the series.
    @BT3366, I've come to the same conclusion RE: YOLT, basically that for how much it can pale in comparison to the other films of the 60s, it is high up there when it comes to location shooting/cinematography/atmosphere. A stunning, stunning visual travelogue film, and an example of why those old films are put on a pedestal for how they transported viewers to the locations.

I just love seeing Bond overwhelmed or caught off guard by the pomp of the sumo wrestling compared to the lack of ceremony in western fighting, the pleasant surprise he has when he finds out that men are first in the nation, and his quick attempt to save M's reputation when he finds out how Tiger has an extensive secret train network. We confront a lot of old traditions in Japan by Bond's side, but in other ways they're also incredibly advanced.

I also appreciate how Bond's culture clash character confronts that of Dikko, a man who is a blend of both English and Japanese culture in a fascinating way that connects well to Bond's journey in the film to blend in while simultaneously sticking out like a sore thumb. Culture and immersion play a big role in YOLT, and many of the funniest lines or moments in the film are dedicated to underscoring how out of place Bond is against those surroundings.
  • NicNac wrote: »

Poor old Lazenby being neglected here. At least he has the dubious honour of being the only overdubbed Bond.

Wasn't Connery dubbed in DAF to show the voice recogniser machine working?
    Of course he was.

A mini overdub -

Brosnan in "Die Another Day" - in the hotel, when Mr Chang hands Bond the box with the air ticket to Cuba, Bond replies "Cuba?" It isn't Brosnan's voice that speaks the line.
    NicNac wrote: »

Poor old Lazenby being neglected here. At least he has the dubious honour of being the only overdubbed Bond.

Wasn't Connery dubbed in DAF to show the voice recogniser machine working?
    Of course he was.

A mini overdub -

Brosnan in "Die Another Day" - in the hotel, when Mr Chang hands Bond the box with the air ticket to Cuba, Bond replies "Cuba?" It isn't Brosnan's voice that speaks the line.

So Brosnan couldn t even get that right!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Mostly true, but both Tracey and Vesper were definitely at least peripherally acquainted with that world. And Vesper. wasn't honest.

Camille was Bolivian SS, Michelle Yeoh played a Chinese agent.....
    Just noticed a snowy location features in all four of the Brosnan movies.

And none of the Connery ones,even Switzerland.

All the Lazenby ones have snow too ;-)
    All the Lazenby ones have snow too ;-)

he he I thought of posting that as well.
    Great minds, and all that :-D
    Great minds, and all that :-D

Indeed,my friend,indeed.

And he visits Asia in his last three. More than anyone else.

And he visits Asia in his last three. More than anyone else.

Oh yes, good one!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    We haven't been in America since 1989 (Craig's brief excursion to Miami was actually filmed in Europe, one quick shot of the Biscayne Bay exit was all that was actually filmed there).
    It's overdue, and if their past modus operandi is any guide, we may get it in B25 (they tend to come to the US after a prior film doesn't too well in that market).