Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer Mission Impossible- Fall Out
    Good call.

I may have to shortly and regrettably vacate this thread, because I'd rather see the film with as little background as possible (I'd rather miss the trailer as well).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Don't mind the title. Seems to maybe go with the syndicate storyline.
    New shots tease, and I'm very much looking forward to the trailer.
    Love the shot of Cruise actually on the helicopter: cue comparisons with the PTS of SP
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,602
    delete sorry
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    patb wrote: »
    Love the shot of Cruise clearly actualy on the helicopter
    +1.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That's Tom Cruise, ladies and gentlemen.
    I love the fact that part of the design of the stunt is to clearly show it's him (rather than greenscreen/stuntman etc), just that one still photo speaks volumes about the spirit of MI. Can't wait.

PS IF they are to continue without TC, I think they need to look for another leading actor who can continue this ellement of the series - thats a tough call.
    Jason Statham, perhaps? :))
    Whats that in his left hand?
    Steak and ham.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Cruise must've saw SP, cringed at the CGI during the PTS, and decided to show them how it's done.
    The studio PR machine re MI seems to make a very good job getting the balance right between teasers and not telling us too much.
    patb wrote: »
    Love the shot of Cruise actually on the helicopter: cue comparisons with the PTS of SP

Or FYEO.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,402
    For me.....

RN succeeded where SP failed. SP was an attempt by Mendes to make a "fun" Bond film but still keep the earnest quality that made SF so compelling.

If you want to make a frothy action film, you do it the way RN did. No one really cares about the plot of RN but the action sequences that string the story together are so bloody good. Mendes had no innovation when it came to action, meanwhile McQuarrie hit it out the park.

I'm very excited by this movie. The new title is a little shit, but hardly the point of a Mission Impossible film. The helicopter photo has totally sold me though.
    Good points. People notice a poor plot when oither areas of the film are weak. When everything else falls into place (cast, action, directing etc) its amazing how forgiving you can be re the plot (SF proved this I think)

McQuarrie gets this IMHO, the last two villains in MI have been relatively weak and forgetable and the plots? not too clever and nothing amazing. But it doesnt really matter as all the other ellements work so well.
    Official logo and synopsis:

DUY-U9_W4AA7T-x.jpg

"The best intentions often come back to haunt you. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT finds Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF team (Alec Baldwin, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames) along with some familiar allies (Rebecca Ferguson, Michelle Monaghan) in a race against time after a mission gone wrong. Henry Cavill, Angela Bassett, and Vanessa Kirby also join the dynamic cast with filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie returning to the helm."
    Jason Statham, perhaps? :))

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to find another actor that is so devoted to his profession. It seems to me cruise permanently sacrifices anything resembling a private life. Personally, I would be content if they kept up the stunt level ( maybe even upping it since then they don't risk the star of the movie.)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Cruise must've saw SP, cringed at the CGI during the PTS, and decided to show them how it's done.

That might very well be true.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Isn't it awesome how Tom Cruise takes paid work away from trained stuntmen?
    And now... we wait...

s-254c74fed0be82ee83d730a9bafccacd22e28d3c.jpg
    Hmm Fallout...idk, it sounds too generic to me kinda :/

I would've prefered Syndicate or smth like that..

Idk, it's not like the title changes much.

Now we wait for the posters and trailers and stuff. It's a shame we live in era of terrible posters, otherwise I'd really like to see some cool retro style poster for "Fallout"

Also...does this mean that the new movie will directly tie in the previous?

I'm sure hundreds of stuntmen are homeless and starving tonight because one actor does his own stunts.

As for the subtitle, I'm not crazy about it either, but I think most of it runs the risk of being generic, Syndicate included.

I'm sure hundreds of stuntmen are homeless and starving tonight because one actor does his own stunts.

As for the subtitle, I'm not crazy about it either, but I think most of it runs the risk of being generic, Syndicate included.

It does when actors lose respect because they don't do all their own stunts.
    @TooManySomethings, don't think anyone is "losing" respect for actors not doing their own stunts, it's just that Cruise is getting a heap of praise chucked at him for the stunts he does have the steel balls to do. I just prefer practicality to CGI, so whatever this helicopter stunt is that seems to feature Cruise attached to the side with no pilot, it'll likely blow SP's PTS out of the water for me.

Also, seems the film may dabble in threats of nuclear war, which is fitting for today:

“The title has multiple meanings in the film, from the literal to the figurative. There is the threat of nuclear terrorism hanging over the movie, which is the literal threat. There’s the notion that what’s happened in the movie is the end result of choices that Ethan Hunt has made in his life. It’s Ethan’s past come back to haunt him. It’s the fallout of all his good intentions.”

I'm now guessing Monaghan's return is his "good intentions" of the past (i.e. hiding her in Seattle/avoiding her to keep her alive) that will come back to haunt him.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tom is a Legend and his craft is entertainment, Tom doing his own stunts brings more credibility to the films he is in, and Tom is pretty much a stuntman with the training he does.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There's also the factor of most actors not being allowed to do their own stunts. Producers and studios are very, very protective of their main moneymakers.

Cruise has the unique power of being a major producer as well so he has the ability and pull to be able to decide for himself what he can and can't do. He just chooses to do it all and it makes for a much better film usually.

He's well trained and as good as any stuntman at this stage, so to hold that against him would be a great misjudgement.
    I just prefer practicality to CGI, so whatever this helicopter stunt is that seems to feature Cruise attached to the side with no pilot, it'll likely blow SP's PTS out of the water for me.

So the actual content is less important than whether the actor tried to kill himself? You know there was little very interesting about the plane stunt beyond an actor doing it himself?

I just prefer practicality to CGI, so whatever this helicopter stunt is that seems to feature Cruise attached to the side with no pilot, it'll likely blow SP's PTS out of the water for me.

So the actual content is less important than whether the actor tried to kill himself? You know there was little very interesting about the plane stunt beyond an actor doing it himself?

What are you on about? This assumes that all stunt-men (and actors willing to do their own stunts) are hoping for their own demise, which simply isn't true. The SP stunt had some things going for it, but Cruise doing his own dangling-off-a-helicopter stunt practically? Sounds infinitely more entertaining and appealing to me.
    As a PTS, I may be in a minority but it got my interest
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 13,912
    Mission: Impossible
    Mission: Impossible II
    Mission: Impossible III
    Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation
    Mission: Impossible: Fallout

It's ok, doesn't quite have the same punch as Ghost Protocol or Rogue Nation. As has already been brought up, Fall-Out or Fall Out would have been better.