Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They still haven’t wrapped filming?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Not like we haven't seen Bond running on a roof before..
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    jake24 wrote: »

Please, don’t be condescending; look at the totality of the last 3 films of each franchise; it isn’t even close.
    MI has has run away from Bond, on and off of rooftops.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Not for the last decade at least. I think it's more a question of us getting some interesting real stunts for the next Bond film, rather than CGI infested gunk.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Very excited for this MI movie.
    Sadly Tom and co are my more frequent go to franchise for action. I wish it weren't always so. But they do deliver in the stunts done for real department like Bond used too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Please, don’t be condescending; look at the totality of the last 3 films of each franchise; it isn’t even close.
    I think that's purely subjective if I'm being honest. I'll give you the latest entry but the first three Craig films have been vastly superior to anything this franchise has put out, IMO. I don't think MI is the benchmark EON should set out for, despite these films being entertaining.

bondjames wrote: »
    Not for the last decade at least. I think it's more a question of us getting some interesting real stunts for the next Bond film, rather than CGI infested gunk.
    Is this really an accurate description of Bond's recent output?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Benny wrote: »
    Very excited for this MI movie.
    Sadly Tom and co are my more frequent go to franchise for action. I wish it weren't always so. But they do deliver in the stunts done for real department like Bond used too.
    Again, quality of stunts aside, has this really changed?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Is this really an accurate description of Bond's recent output?
    From the perspective of the last one in particular, yes it is. I cannot even begin to explain what a complete disappointment that helicopter sequence in PTS of SP was to me. Not to mention the building collapse, all bathed in the fake yellow filter.

So, from my perspective, absolutely and particularly in the context of what this franchise has delivered in the past. It's important to note that there would be no MI without James Bond. Now we have a fair number of life long fans (including myself) seeing them as being superior in the stunt department. We would never have said that in the past.

I think that's purely subjective if I'm being honest. I'll give you the latest entry but the first three Craig films have been vastly superior to anything this franchise has put out, IMO. I don't think MI is the benchmark EON should set out for, despite these films being entertaining.
    Of course it's subjective. Aren't most things?

There has been no benchmark action sequence (at least in terms of stunts) in a Bond film with Craig apart from the CR crane sequence and the SF PTS.

From my 'subjective' perspective, the last two MI films are the current benchmark in this genre.
  • It's strange, I'd say Rogue Nation is much more of an action movie, but Ghost Protocol is the better film by quite a bit.
    When are we getting the title?

I kind of enjoy the Mission Impossible: _______ (insert sub title here)
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's strange, I'd say Rogue Nation is much more of an action movie, but Ghost Protocol is the better film by quite a bit.
    I've always seen RN as more like a Glen film. Relentlessly paced with great action and also a bit more intimate (in terms of characters and also filming style). GP has more scale (in terms of the threat and also in terms of the set pieces) but moves at a slower clip. To me it's more Gilbert.

I'm curious to see what McQuarrie does with the next one, because he's said it will be a little different in approach, whereas the last two deliberately filled a void left by Bond.
    I also like Ghost Protocol slightly better than Rogue Nation. The sixth film however will resemble its direct predecessor by the looks of it than the Brad Bird-directed installment.
    I also like Ghost Protocol slightly better than Rogue Nation. The sixth film however will resemble its direct predecessor by the looks of it than the Brad Bird-directed installment.
    Not a bad thing from my perspective as #5 is easily my favorite of the bunch.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Watching RN now in Channel 4 (yes, have it on DVD but you watch things anyway), after 12 mins, you can just see that the tone is set just right IMHO, great PTS and some lovely dialogue in the record store:

"Are the stories true" Cruise pauses and then smiles. No need to reply. Nicely underplayed (we know that they are) but a hint that Hunt is becoming a legend within the team and, based on how young the girl is, a recognition that he was creating stories whilst she was a baby. She is a little in awe of him.

McQuarrie really understands the series and delivers IMHO.

If only EON had someone who understood Bond in the same way that McQuarrie "gets" MI. Once you have that, you are half way there.
    You know? After Cruise's Hunt retires, I wouldn't mind if Rebecca Ferguson takes the team over. I love her character and the actress even more. :D
    With the trend within Hollywood, I am sure that they are considering it. She delivers in every area. With a strong supporting team, it could work, she is only 34 but brings a greater maturity and weight to the role. She could easily lead in a couple more ( I do know that there are many fans who thing that Hunt IS MI so it will not go on without him) And her British secret service background brings possibilities re character development and story lines.
    It will go on without him. They just need to set into a different direction to capture the audience's liking.
    100% agree and really hope McQuarrie is on board to manage the transition.
    Same here.
    You know? After Cruise's Hunt retires, I wouldn't mind if Rebecca Ferguson takes the team over. I love her character and the actress even more. :D

I could very well live with that.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185

Could potentially work... And make things for Bond even worse
    00Agent wrote: »

Could potentially work... And make things for Bond even worse
    If Eon doesn't listen to the SJW media, it should pose no threat to Bond. After all, it's not those "female 007" screamers who go and see a Bond film. It's the fans like us who go and pay for a ticket, buy their merchandise and support the films. Not some average joe nobody whose dog whistle politics and misguided life choices (mostly hipsters) keep him in the unblissful ignorance.

If Rebecca Ferguson's Ilsa Faust becomes the leader of the team and the M:I film franchise becomes film-based like Ghost Protocol rather than having one lead and supporting sidekicks, it would work.
    patb wrote: »
    If only EON had someone who understood Bond in the same way that McQuarrie "gets" MI. Once you have that, you are half way there.
    The only one I've seen in the last 20 odd years is Martin Campbell.

I could very well live with that.
    +1
    Wow, she is stunning in the opera scene. The Hollywood guys are clever. If they see an opportuniuty to exploit the whole "me too", feminist culture earthquake that we are seeing at the moment, they won't miss a trick. Where that leaves Bond is perhaps for another thread.
    Wow, she is stunning in the opera scene.
    It's my favourite scene of the whole film. Really superb piece of direction in every way.
    Wow, she is stunning in the opera scene.
    It's my favourite scene of the whole film. Really superb piece of direction in every way.
    Better make that two.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    One time I watched RN and in my minds eye replaced Hunt with Bond/Cruise with Craig. With some obvious tailoring this would have made a great Bond film. The opera scene in QoS is good but doesn't hold a candle to the one in RN.......Yes, I know this is subjective.
    Even if for just this one sequence, Watch the opera scene and picture Craig in Cruises place.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    The opera scene in QoS is good but doesn't hold a candle to the one in RN.
    I said the exact same thing, @talos7. The Opera scene in RN is miles and light years superior to the one we've seen in QoS and Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows. It's very well thought out, measured up, every angle heavily analyzed... The filmmakers weren't letting any minor detail slip by as a flaw.
    The opera scene in QoS is good but doesn't hold a candle to the one in RN.
    I said the exact same thing, @talos7. The Opera scene in RN is miles and light years superior to the one we've seen in QoS and Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows. It's very well thought out, measured up, every angle heavily analyzed... The filmmakers weren't letting any minor detail slip by as a flaw.
    I agree. It's actually more based on the one in The Man Who Knew Too Much.

The attention to detail is indeed masterful and I like the addition of glamour and humour. It really helps to elevate it. I'm partial to Nessun Dorma as well (perhaps the only aria I like - it was used by the Beeb during the 1990 World Cup and I remember it vividly from childhood).
    70 mins into RN and there is not one thing "out of step", the tone is consistant, the characters play off each other, some great dialogue, great set pieces and...well, where did the last 70 mins go? It is a great adventure. Very easy to under estimate these "fun adventure" movies but it is IMHO a tremendous movie. It just hits all the targets.

Re the opera scene, the direction is very traditional with no shaky cam and quick cuts. It lets the tension build up and up with the music leading us to the crescendo and has room for little jokes (like Cruises height) without at any time, undermining the main thrust.

@talos7 picture Craig in the PTS hanging on the side of the cargo plane. Any action adventure would be proud to have that stunt/set piece within its movie. The issue that we have with Bond is that the nature of the stunts have to be individual. Hunt's plea "the wrong door!" adds tension and dry humour at the same time. But who opens the door (both actually and as a metaphor) for Bond? An explosive watch placed on the door? and lazer pen? It just pushes it too far.

And now we have Hunt in the underwater data vault set piece. Another team effort. And it works