Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Not sure why but keep thinking about this:
    When Hunt says goodbye, I would want a reference to the original to "bookend" his career and, also, in time, I think the original has aged really well and certain scenes have become almost iconic.
    Secondly, remember the high tech masks and "voice changers" used in many of the series. This could provide opportunnities for cameo/guest appearances in situations where Hunt needs to re-appear.
    Imagine if Hunt disappears at the end of one movie and then, at the beginning of the next, he does a great PTS (as the audeince now expect) and then, at the end of the PTS, he removes his mask and it's actually Renner?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    patb wrote: »
    When Hunt says goodbye, I would want a reference to the original to "bookend" his career and, also, in time, I think the original has aged really well and certain scenes have become almost iconic.
    Secondly, remember the high tech masks and "voice changers" used in many of the series. This could provide opportunnities for cameo/guest appearances in situations where Hunt needs to re-appear.
    Imagine if Hunt disappears at the end of one movie and then, at the beginning of the next, he does a great PTS (as the audeince now expect) and then, at the end of the PTS, he removes his mask and it's actually Renner?
    I'd like them to reference the first in some way shape or form too. It was a 'film ahead' in my view. I remember that I found it a bit 'arty' back when it was released, but these days it seems almost prescient in reading the future direction of the genre, especially given what has happened with the Bond films over the past decade or so.

As we've discussed before, I'd love to see Henry Czerny back in some capacity although I don't think it will happen since he's been out of the public eye in mainstream films for some time. Thandie Newton could work too, as she's familiar to folks again on Westworld. She still looks great too. The only issue is that it would remind people of the weakest MI entry (imho).

I'm not keen on the mask idea, only because it would be highly anti-climactic to have Cruise rip off a mask to reveal......Renner! I'm sorry, I know he has his fans, but Renner is strictly supporting material.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,600
    OK, forget Renner, fair point, but what about the idea of another character (the bad guy, how about that? fooling the team that he's not dead?) being Hunt? that would be interesting?

Re the original, as with Dr No, it set the template so very well. Imagine if it had been a stinker? It was a very confident and stylish affair with a wonderful cast and some great scenes with memorable one liners.

The brain was meandering last night and I thought of a scene in "The Day After Tomorrow" (poor movie I know) when three guys fall through a frozen roof and it starts to crack and the bottom guy cuts the rope (falling to his death) in order to lighten the load and ensure that the remaining two survive. I'm not suggesting stealing this idea but its the type of noble and selfless death/final scene that we need for Hunt IMHO

Newton is a great actress but agree her role was weak within a weak film. Locations can be brought back as a homage? Imagine if they had to break into Langley agan (different challeges) . A knowing look between Hunt and Luther "again?"

Or the leather jacket? , God, I love that jacket

OK, forget Renner, fair point, but what about the idea of another character (the bad guy, how about that? fooling the team that he's not dead?) being Hunt? that would be interesting?
    I can go for that. I'd love to see Jon Voight back, but I don't know how it can be done.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,600
    Voight and Reno are toasted in the chopper crash I'm afraid. Shame, both great characters and actors
    So Cruise will do the stuntwork for Renner then ;-)?

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    boldfinger wrote: »
    So Cruise will do the stuntwork for Renner then ;-)?
    Good one! :))
    Cruise dangling over the edge of the Preikestolen cliff, with the clifftop seemingly a scene for an action sequence in the movie. Here, take a look at this Norwegian news bulletin that gives you a flavour of the location, and what the Mission: Impossible 6
    Not sure if you'd call it a spoiler....

I'm getting For Your Eyes Only vibes from this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The finale is filmed in Norway, but I wonder if it is actually set in Norway? Not many places have our kind of fjord landscape, so it would be strange if it is supposed to be somewhere else.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Cool
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

He is getting quite chubby cheeked lately. Seems age finally caught up with him. To me it would really make sense if this was his last one.
  • I really hope this movie is great, since it was something of a hindrance on Justice League....
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

He is getting quite chubby cheeked lately. Seems age finally caught up with him. To me it would really make sense if this was his last one.

I reckon one more after this and that'll be it. I think if this was his last one we'd have heard about it and they'd be using it as a selling point to hype the film up, the big finale.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

He is getting quite chubby cheeked lately.

I think he does that with plastic surgery. They were talking about it when he appeared with DiCaprio at the Oscars, I think.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Are they grooming Henry Cavill to possibly replace him?
    (Them again that was the idea for Jeremy Renner and that shit didn’t happen...)

*edit, although for the record I think these are just bad shots of Tom. The dude still looks great
  • Are they grooming Henry Cavill to possibly replace him?
    (Them again that was the idea for Jeremy Renner and that shit didn’t happen...)

*edit, although for the record I think these are just bad shots of Tom. The dude still looks great

I think Henry Cavill is playing the bad guy. And it's not the most flattering photo true, but to be honest I did think when I was watching the last Jack Reacher film that he was starting to look his age. I don't think that's usually a problem nowadays but since he likes to do all the stunts himself and for real, he might only have one or two more left in him after this.
    So from the look of his face you can tell how long he´s going to do stuntwork?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tom may no longer look 25 but nor does he look 56. He is looking more mature which suits a seasoned agent. With that said, he is in outstanding physical condition and baring some unforeseen event or condition has 20 more years of action left in the tank. One only need look at actors such as Eastwood, Willis, Stallone, Neeson, Chan, Connery Gibson to see that more mature actors can still do action.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    talos7 wrote: »
    Tom may no longer look 25 but nor does he look 56. He is looking more mature which suits a seasoned agent. With that said, he is in outstanding physical condition and baring some unforeseen event or condition has 20 more years of action left in the tank. One only need look at actors such as Eastwood, Willis, Stallone, Neeson, Chan, Connery Gibson to see that more mature actors can still do action.

Liam Neeson is my favorite benchmark for Cruise's life-span as an action star, because Neeson was born in June 1952 and Cruise in July 1962, so they are basically 10 years apart. Cruise has M:I:6 in 2018, while Neeson has The Commuter and Hard Powder, so good ol' Tom is safe for a good while.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    The difference is all Neeson has to do is turn up, look hard and say badass stuff, then his stuntman and a million quick cuts do the rest. He's not hanging off planes and throwing himself off cliffs. I think the main selling point of MI at this point is the stunts, so I can't see them scaling the action down either. And I don't think Cruise is the type to want to let a stuntman do it for him. So I reckon a big finale in the next film or maybe the one after is more likely than Cruise carrying on into his 60s.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    So from the look of his face you can tell how long he´s going to do stuntwork?

Just saying he's been looking older lately and was speculating that he might want to go out with a bang in a couple of years rather than gradually dial it down as he ages.
    Are they grooming Henry Cavill to possibly replace him?
    (Then again that was the idea for Jeremy Renner and that shit didn’t happen...)
    You could well be right. As @thelivingroyale points out, Cavill is marked down as the bad guy, but that could simply be misdirection with Cavill playing another double-agent, like Rebecca Ferguson was in the last movie. After all, these movies are all about misdirection. It would certainly be a smart move by Cruise and Paula Wagner to groom Cavill to eventually takeover Cruise in the lead role, especially as Cruise can't do this kind of thing forever. Also, Cavill's contract comes to an end after the next Superman movie, so getting Cavill signed up for future MI adventures could be part of the producer's thinking. It would certainly see-off any future advances from Eon when Craig steps down, and would give MI an edge. I guess, Cruise might be waiting to see how audiences react to Cavill first, though.
    I like Cavill but don’t think he has a tenth of the charisma of Cruise.
    I agree with you that Cavill isn't as charismatic as Cruise, but then there's very few actors that can compete with Cruise on that front, anyway. That doesn't mean that the producers can't build a future without the actor being in the movie. When that day comes, I'm sure it'll be done gradually over time. But let's wait and see what Cavill does in the role first, before cutting him down to size.
    Cavill could easily work in the future as part of a concerted ensemble, which is the direction they have been heading in anyway, and which is likely the only way this series can survive the departure of Cruise's star power.
    Cruise brings with him a screen legacy that only a handful of actors can match. If MI goes on without him, IMHO, they will have to focus more on the team effort and really come up with some great scripts and execution to compensate for the lack of Cruise. To try and find someone who matches him is a task doomed to failure. Having said that, some actors will have more potential than others and Cavill simply does not cut it....but then again...who does ? where is the next Cruise? or Hanks or Ford? etc etc
    I've a feeling Henry Cavill is playing a villain, perhaps Solomon Lane's second-in-command mole in MI-6?
    A Cruise/Cavill fight could be pretty cool.
    Oh I think Cruise will have his arse handed to him in that fight. :))