• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I enjoyed watching this a bit too much:

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I enjoyed watching this a bit too much:

Took some time before I got it... ;))
    But the sheer idea is pure genius :-))!
    Synopsis revealed for Solo: A Star Wars Story:

"Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And Jabba?
    latest?cb=20051210025712
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    =))
    They are probably right now in preparations for the Jabba origins movie.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 38
    Jabba the Last of the Hutts
    Starring- A morbidly obese slug from space, from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away
    Music- Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes
    Catering- Mos Eisley Cantina

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    SW8 -TLJ collapses and is pulled from the Chinese market after a few weeks. Sad story.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a847684/star-wars-the-last-jedi-china-box-office-flop/
    ---

Then we have this surprisingly candid (if true) commentary on some of the reasons why it may have happened. Food for thought. Notice the careful use of Will Smith as an example to ensure that the comments aren't misinterpreted as being racially insensitive.

As I've noted previously on other threads, other markets may be more 'superficial' and play by different rules. Bond has to succeed everywhere (and increasingly does so overseas rather than in the US market). So when suggesting changes to Bond, perhaps we should be mindful of that.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-chinese-box-office-poor-disappointing/

"Another factor in the disappointing reception in China, according to Tao, has to do with Chinese audiences gravitating towards films featuring traditionally attractive stars and films more rooted in reality.

These actors aren’t very beautiful, which may deter a lot of Chinese from seeing the recent films,” Tao told SixthTone. “We fans often joke that if Finn were played by Will Smith, Chinese people might be more inclined to watch it — because he’s very handsome.”

With beauty being subjective, Tao's comments could also be interpreted as the film lacking recognizable American actors that fit a more traditional "Hollywood" appearance.
    "
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As a man totally comfortable saying this, if I were into men, I'd rather have John Boyega than Will Smith.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,686
    Isn't Daniel Craig the only James Bond actor to be known in China?
    Hasn't Star Wars simply never been something China cared about? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they ever even got the original trilogy/prequel trilogy in theaters. TFA did seem to perform much better there, however, but it could've been out of pure curiosity, and once they lined up to it and weren't impressed, most had no intention of seeing TLJ. Further makes me ponder if the new Asian addition to the cast was a story idea, or just a way for them to open up in China a little better; if it's the latter, that obviously failed.
    Hasn't Star Wars simply never been something China cared about? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they ever even got the original trilogy/prequel trilogy in theaters. TFA did seem to perform much better there, however, but it could've been out of pure curiosity, and once they lined up to it and weren't impressed, most had no intention of seeing TLJ. Further makes me ponder if the new Asian addition to the cast was a story idea, or just a way for them to open up in China a little better; if it's the latter, that obviously failed.
    Yes, that's true. The Chinese weren't exposed to the earlier films and therefore aren't as connected to the folklore which is an essential part of the series draw. However, the first article I posted makes a good point that the Chinese didn't get the earlier FF or Jurassic Park films either. Yet, the more recent entries have done very well there, in contrast to SW. The writer surmises that this is because those other franchise entries don't draw too much on their past in order for a viewer to appreciate the newer films. They are mainly standalone for the most part, with lots of action. SW in contrast does rely very much on the mythology and on us knowing who the 'older characters' are.

The 2nd article further suggests that the SW films aren't doing as well there because the actors and actresses aren't 'attractive' in a conventional sense nor are they brand name actors (except perhaps Ford in TFA). I hadn't thought about that before, but it's a valid point. JW had Chris Pratt, who's got star power. FF has a number of multicultural up and comers. SW is a bit lacking, and some of the new actors are arguably a bit plain jane to put it mildly (I realize this is a subjective point of view).
    That's definitely why, as neither of them are drawing on past elements and major plot points to formulate their world. As you said, mainly standalone for the most part.

Perhaps SW will begin to do well with the new trilogy, provided it doesn't feel the need to call upon the same few families/villains/locales/etc.
    Perhaps SW will begin to do well with the new trilogy, provided it doesn't feel the need to call upon the same few families/villains/locales/etc.
    That could very well be why they decided to dispense with some of the folklore to a degree in TLJ. Given it is Johnson who will be helming the new trilogy, I believe they are already paving the way for a new approach going forward (even if that means upsetting traditionalists). I wonder what surprises are in store for us with SW9.

The one thing we can be sure of Disney is that they will recalibrate quickly based on these less than stellar results. It's a business first and foremost to them.

I have to say though that the obvious pandering to the Asian market with the new cast member appears to have been a severe bust.
    It could be because they have good taste? (I'm still angry!)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't know how many other Star Wars Rebels fans there are here, but for those who are, this is for you:

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I don't know how many other Star Wars Rebels fans there are here, but for those who are, this is for you:

Dare not watch it as I am behind on episodes, the last episode I watched was season 3's Iron Squadron I am waiting for the show to return to SKY in the UK.

Dare not watch it as I am behind on episodes, the last episode I watched was season 3's Iron Squadron I am waiting for the show to return to SKY in the UK.

No DVD/BR release there yet?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

No DVD/BR release there yet?

It's available on Bluray I have considered buying it, though it should return to SKY soon, SKY have a habit of continuingly playing then pulling all the Star Wars shows. Last time I started watching the show it was pulled a week later, it is irritating.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,102
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/909846/Star-Wars-Avengers-Batman-Lord-of-the-Rings-Harry-Potter-Greatest-Movie-Villains-The-Joker

Empire's

The Greatest Movie Villains

1. Darth Vader (Star Wars movies)
    2. The Joker (Batman movies)
    3. Loki (Thor and Avengers movies)
    4. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
    5. Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal movies)
    6. Colonel Hans Landa (Inglourious Basterds)
    7. Kylo Ren (Star Wars movies)
    8. Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)
    9. Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter movies)
    10. The Alien (Alien movies)
    11. Gollum (Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies).
    12. Sauron (Lord of the Rings trilogy)
    13. Nurse Ratched (One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest)
    14. The Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)
    15. Emperor Palpatine (Star Wars movies)
    16. Norman Bates (Psycho)
    17. Agent Smith (The Matrix trilogy)
    18. Freddy Krueger (The Nightmare On Elm Street movies)
    19. T-1000 (Terminator 2: Judgment Day)
    20. Michael Myers (Halloween movies)

I think Kylo Ren is way too high in this list, glad to see Palpatine on the list would have had him much higher. No Bond Villains in the top 20.
    Shame not to see a Bond villain but for the most part I think that's a pretty good list. The alien is a cop out, and I agree Palpatine should be higher and Ren lower. The top 5-6 is excellent.
    I would have had Blofeld in there as there have been numerous versions, at least three great versions for me FRWL, TB, OHMSS. Sauron as great an idea as he is really does only have moments I would remove him, Saruman had more to do in the The Lord of the Rings.
    I would have had Blofeld in there as there have been numerous versions, at least three great versions for me FRWL, TB, OHMSS. Sauron as great an idea as he is really does only have moments I would remove him, Saruman had more to do in the The Lord of the Rings.
    Yes, I agree that Sauron is another one (like alien) who shouldn't be there.

Perhaps Goldfinger should have made this list, as the quintessential larger than life Bond villain. The hidden Blofeld would have worked too, but perhaps his absence in any iteration reflects how irrelevant he has become since Myers spoofed him (EON, I hope you're listening - this villain is done).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, I agree that Sauron is another one (like alien) who shouldn't be there.

Perhaps Goldfinger should have made this list, as the quintessential larger than life Bond villain. The hidden Blofeld would have worked too, but perhaps his absence in any iteration reflects how irrelevant he has become after Myers spoofed him (EON, I hope you're listening - this villain is done).

Not a big fan of the film Goldfinger though the film including the main Villain certainly was the blueprint for what followed. I can't deny the character Goldfinger is iconic and one of the most well known Bond Villains.
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/909846/Star-Wars-Avengers-Batman-Lord-of-the-Rings-Harry-Potter-Greatest-Movie-Villains-The-Joker

Empire's

The Greatest Movie Villains

1. Darth Vader (Star Wars movies)
    2. The Joker (Batman movies)
    3. Loki (Thor and Avengers movies)
    4. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
    5. Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal movies)
    6. Colonel Hans Landa (Inglourious Basterds)
    7. Kylo Ren (Star Wars movies)
    8. Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)
    9. Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter movies)
    10. The Alien (Alien movies)
    11. Gollum (Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies).
    12. Sauron (Lord of the Rings trilogy)
    13. Nurse Ratched (One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest)
    14. The Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)
    15. Emperor Palpatine (Star Wars movies)
    16. Norman Bates (Psycho)
    17. Agent Smith (The Matrix trilogy)
    18. Freddy Krueger (The Nightmare On Elm Street movies)
    19. T-1000 (Terminator 2: Judgment Day)
    20. Michael Myers (Halloween movies)

I think Kylo Ren is way too high in this list, glad to see Palpatine on the list would have had him much higher. No Bond Villains in the top 20.

How does Voldemort rank higher than Palpatine?!

Top 5's spot on, though.
    Something I liked in the new films is the very red background that is often there when the villains are onscreen. It symbolizes danger in a neat way.

To me, it's hamfisted and unoriginal . . . like this new trilogy.
    First look at Solo likely during Super Bowl:

http://collider.com/solo-trailer-release-date-super-bowl/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    7044610871141.jpg
    7044610871141.jpg

Why do you always drop 'so low'?