Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's clear that I can differ in opinion when it comes to those 'classic' pictures that are beloved in droves. Spielberg's "Jaws" is one of those films for me, which, while acceptable on its own terms, stirs little in the way of effect or emotion. It has its merits, to be sure - especially in terms of cinematography, characters and acting - but it really is more of an adventure than an exercise in horror.

4aa725edb5f1df40042b145c0b04a0a93ab62371d308c49ee7072f34dc1693ac.jpg?mw=600

Is Jaws a horror film? The internet consensus appears that it is, and judged on this basis, Jaws, I'm sorry to say, falls flat. There is little in the way of a persistent, underlying terror to the picture, aside from select scenes where this is evident (e.g. the shark cage scene). This is mostly due to the tone; Spielberg's insistence on optimism in the face of danger (which indeed is a trademark of his adventure movies) is refreshing but perhaps ill-fitted for what is, by and large, a monster movie.

I can't tell for sure why I am not scared to death of "Jaws". I suppose to find something horrifying in this movie, you'd have to be: a) very young when you first saw it, b) easily suggestible and having seen little else in the realm of horror, or c) particularly afraid of sharks. I am none of these things. To me, Jaws is one of those 'digestible' scary movies, where it pleases itself with instilling the horror in a few moments, but pats you on the back after it's all over; whereas other horror pictures will dare to truly frighten you - without the return ticket.

Jaws is a great movie and being 40ish I watched it for the first time in a different era and watched it hundreds of times over the years, I have never seen this film as a horror to be honest it's always been the settings, the cinematography and the characters that make me love this film.
  • It's clear that I can differ in opinion when it comes to those 'classic' pictures that are beloved in droves. Spielberg's "Jaws" is one of those films for me, which, while acceptable on its own terms, stirs little in the way of effect or emotion. It has its merits, to be sure - especially in terms of cinematography, characters and acting - but it really is more of an adventure than an exercise in horror.

Is Jaws a horror film? The internet consensus appears that it is, and judged on this basis, Jaws, I'm sorry to say, falls flat. There is little in the way of a persistent, underlying terror to the picture, aside from select scenes where this is evident (e.g. the shark cage scene). This is mostly due to the tone; Spielberg's insistence on optimism in the face of danger (which indeed is a trademark of his adventure movies) is refreshing but perhaps ill-fitted for what is, by and large, a monster movie.

I can't tell for sure why I am not scared to death of "Jaws". I suppose to find something horrifying in this movie, you'd have to be: a) very young when you first saw it, b) easily suggestible and having seen little else in the realm of horror, or c) particularly afraid of sharks. I am none of these things. To me, Jaws is one of those 'digestible' scary movies, where it pleases itself with instilling the horror in a few moments, but pats you on the back after it's all over; whereas other horror pictures will dare to truly frighten you - without the return ticket.

Jaws is a great movie and being 40ish I watched it for the first time in a different era and watched it hundreds of times over the years, I have never seen this film as a horror to be honest it's always been the settings, the cinematography and the characters that make me love this film.

This is it really; from a purely filmmaking perspective, Jaws is top-notch. I disagree though with its reputation.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's clear that I can differ in opinion when it comes to those 'classic' pictures that are beloved in droves. Spielberg's "Jaws" is one of those films for me, which, while acceptable on its own terms, stirs little in the way of effect or emotion. It has its merits, to be sure - especially in terms of cinematography, characters and acting - but it really is more of an adventure than an exercise in horror.

This is it really; from a purely filmmaking perspective, Jaws is top-notch. I disagree though with its reputation.

I think you have to look at a film relative to the time it was released and the impact it had then, as time passes it's easy to dismiss past directors though they invented many things we see frequently today.
  • It's clear that I can differ in opinion when it comes to those 'classic' pictures that are beloved in droves. Spielberg's "Jaws" is one of those films for me, which, while acceptable on its own terms, stirs little in the way of effect or emotion. It has its merits, to be sure - especially in terms of cinematography, characters and acting - but it really is more of an adventure than an exercise in horror.

I think you have to look at a film relative to the time it was released and the impact it had then, as time passes it's easy to dismiss past directors though they invented many things we see frequently today.

Yes, that's fair.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 1,817
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
    Henry1.jpg
    Here is a film that claims (but doesn't quite prove) intellectual superiority over the slasher genre. After meandering over the initial 15-20 minutes, "Henry" finds its core in the titular killer, and owes a great debt to Michael Rooker's complex and invariably intriguing portrayal, which is certainly what drives the picture through its subsequent depictions of relentless, unflinching, perverse violence.

The film always feels low-budget, which is a good thing, as it only amplifies the realism. However, it must be said that "Henry" is also not a particularly deep experience either. After all is done, not much is learned, aside, I suppose, from the lesson that anyone can be a killer. This is a fact that cinephiles will be accustomed to already. The film also feels uneven in some senses, and although this could be intentional, the end product is also rather disjointed.

A few points I don't quite understand (could someone who has seen the film help me out? would be much appreciated)
    -in the beginning, Henry talks to the waitress, leaves the bar and gets in his car. Cut back to the bar and there's suddenly a dead couple (the woman may or may not be the waitress). But in the next shot, we see Henry drive off in his car, meaning he couldn't have killed them.... so who did?

-the pivotal scene where Henry recounts to Becky how he killed his mother. According to Ottis, the weapon was a baseball bat. Henry corrects this to Becky and says he stabbed her. When he continues his narrative he divulges, actually that he shot her; here Becky reminds him that he stabbed her to which Henry replies "oh.... yeah, right" or something like that. Obviously this means something about his psyche, but what exactly I'm not sure.

-what is the significance of zooming in on the suitcase (Becky's?) at the end?

Is "Henry" a thorough and rewarding journey into the psychology of a sociopath? Your mileage may vary, but to me it was, at least, an effective chiller.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,575

I think Jaws is One of the greatest films ever made.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Henry1.jpg
    Here is a film that claims (but doesn't quite prove) intellectual superiority over the slasher genre. After meandering over the initial 15-20 minutes, "Henry" finds its core in the titular killer, and owes a great debt to Michael Rooker's complex and invariably intriguing portrayal, which is certainly what drives the picture through its subsequent depictions of relentless, unflinching, perverse violence.

The film always feels low-budget, which is a good thing, as it only amplifies the realism. However, it must be said that "Henry" is also not a particularly deep experience either. After all is done, not much is learned, aside, I suppose, from the lesson that anyone can be a killer. This is a fact that cinephiles will be accustomed to already. The film also feels uneven in some senses, and although this could be intentional, the end product is also rather disjointed.

A few points I don't quite understand (could someone who has seen the film help me out? would be much appreciated)
    -in the beginning, Henry talks to the waitress, leaves the bar and gets in his car. Cut back to the bar and there's suddenly a dead couple (the woman may or may not be the waitress). But in the next shot, we see Henry drive off in his car, meaning he couldn't have killed them.... so who did?

-the pivotal scene where Henry recounts to Becky how he killed his mother. According to Ottis, the weapon was a baseball bat. Henry corrects this to Becky and says he stabbed her. When he continues his narrative he divulges, actually that he shot her; here Becky reminds him that he stabbed her to which Henry replies "oh.... yeah, right" or something like that. Obviously this means something about his psyche, but what exactly I'm not sure.

Is "Henry" a thorough and rewarding journey into the psychology of a sociopath? Your mileage may vary, but to me it was, at least, an effective chiller.

It took a long time to get Henry released in the UK. It was never going to be released during the dark days of film censorship in the UK which hit it's peak in the early 90's.

Now I think it's uncut on DVD and BD. A disturbing film, but an intelligent and thought provoking low budget horror.

When Henry changes the way he killed his mother when telling the story I took from it that he has obviously killed hundreds of victims in different ways over the years and can probably barely remember how he killed her.

The zooming in on Becky's suitcase at the end I thought was pretty obvious. Becky is dead inside it and Henry has murdered her.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Carry On at your convenience and Carry On Matron been decades since I watched some of these films, most of the characters would get arrested today. Doctor Prod in Matron wants locking up lol

I have often thought the same about some of our members, they need locking up. ;)

Ha ha no comment lol I am watching Carry On Forever documentary it's very good looking through the entire run of films, I know you are a Doctor Who fan there was a great moment with Bernard Cribbins and Juliet Mills meeting up for the first time in 50 years, they both starred in Carry On Jack.

I don't think I have seen the documentary, but I do enjoy the smutty humour of the films.
    Carry On at your convenience and Carry On Matron been decades since I watched some of these films, most of the characters would get arrested today. Doctor Prod in Matron wants locking up lol

I have often thought the same about some of our members, they need locking up. ;)

Ha ha no comment lol I am watching Carry On Forever documentary it's very good looking through the entire run of films, I know you are a Doctor Who fan there was a great moment with Bernard Cribbins and Juliet Mills meeting up for the first time in 50 years, they both starred in Carry On Jack.

I don't think I have seen the documentary, but I do enjoy the smutty humour of the films.

The documentary was on ITV3 yesterday I would not be suprised if it was repeated, several of the films have been repeated on that channel over Christmas. I have a renewed appreciation for the films, considering whether to buy the box set.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

The documentary was on ITV3 yesterday I would not be suprised if it was repeated, several of the films have been repeated on that channel over Christmas. I have a renewed appreciation for the films, considering whether to buy the box set.

Caught Carry on Up The Khyber the other day and they cut out the 'fakir off' joke. How pathetic of ITV, the was an 'A' cert film in its day.

Caught Carry on Up The Khyber the other day and they cut out the 'fakir off' joke. How pathetic of ITV, the was an 'A' cert film in its day.

I have recorded most of the films that have aired over Christmas, many are shown through the day I was half expecting things to be cut. These films really are a time capsule now, I have found it fascinating watching them again.
    Justice League

Pretty much what I expected from the trailers. It's all a bit 'meh' really.

I quite liked the Cyborg bloke and Gal Gadot is as usual an amazing Wonder Woman. Not sure what Aquaman was all about, but he's pretty divorced from what I remember in the comics. This film does an amazing job of making Batman rather dull. Surely a feat in itself?

I quite liked Superman's returning scene and his tussle with the other members was pretty good. And the scene where the Amazon's are trying to stop Steppenwolf from getting the Box thingy was cool.

A lot of the effects were quite frankly abysmal and garner little excitement in the action scenes. These films really are starting to look like computer games. The scene where Batman uses the Batmobile to draw the enemy away was a prime example. It all looked so fake and had all the thrills of watching someone playing a video game. When you look at the thrilling stuff Nolan did with the Tumbler in his Batman films the gap in quality is easy to see.

I certainly was merciful the film had a relatively short run time. I don't think I could of handled another 30 minutes of such a soulless endeavour. When I watch the original Superman the Movie I feel something. Emotion, excitement. It draws you in. It takes you on a journey and you feel involved in the films story.

Nolan's DC films had it and so did Wonder Woman to a certain extent. But this uninvolving mess of cartoony CGI just made my mind wander and just made me think I could be doing something more useful with my time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Without Joss Whedon involved I probably wouldn't have even seen JL, as it was I had a good enough time with it to own it... but imagine if the whole movie was as good as its best parts....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @LeonardPine, I did quite an extensive reaction to the film on the DC Cinematic thread we have here, but we're essentially point for point alike on what we thought about the movie.
    @LeonardPine, I did quite an extensive reaction to the film on the DC Cinematic thread we have here, but we're essentially point for point alike on what we thought about the movie.

Interesting! I'm sure yours was a lot more in depth than mine though.

I'll find the thread and have a look.

Yes, that's fair.

The movie upon release made droves of people afraid to swim in the sea for some time, so it did scare quite a few people.
    The movie in itself was responsible for the blockbuster label and today stands still a bloody brilliantly made movie by a then great director Spielberg.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LOLITA (1962)

Knowing the subject matter, I thought this would be a rather boring film, and put off watching it. It was nothing of the sort. This was intriguing from start to finish. Was that Lois Maxwell who played the nurse, by the way?

Only Kubrick film I haven t seen now is Killer s Kiss. I can t find it anywhere, except in really poor quality on Youtube, and that is no way to watch a Kubrick film.

SK ranking goes something like this (without KK)

1 SPARTACUS
    2 2001-A SPACE ODYSSEY
    3 BARRY LYNDON
    4 THE KILLING
    5 PATHS OF GLORY
    6 LOLITA
    7 DR STRANGELOVE-OR HOW I STOPPED WORRYING AND STARTED TO LOVE THE BOMB
    8 THE SHINING
    9 FULL METAL JACKET
    10 EYES WIDE SHUT
    11 FEAR AND DESIRE
    12 A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

kubrick-stanley-001-dmitri-kastarine-portrait-hands-in-hair-with-arriflex.jpg?itok=nKlNZnsM
    Christine (1983). An overlooked John Carpenter film/Stephen King film adaptation. Pretty good stuff honestly.
    Well, $60 and twelve hours in the cinema later, I've crossed off films #30-34 from my 2017 list...

(Also, and this is rather upsetting, I purchased $220 worth of some of my favourite movies on Blu-ray; In the Mood for Love, It Happened One Night, Inside Llewyn Davis, Magnolia, Manhunter, Manhattan, Annie Hall, Dunkirk... only to mistakenly leave the whole bag either in the theater of my final movie or in my Uber on the way home...)

THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Unbelievable. del Toro's masterpiece, featuring my favourite performance of the year courtesy of the tremendously underrated Sally Hawkins. Every character is three-dimensional and no arc or plotline is left unresolved. I was in absolute tears by the end. In any other year, this would probably be the best movie of the year. As it stands, this might win Best Picture anyway, so there's that.

10/10

LADY BIRD (2017)

I thought Brooklyn was a cliché, hackneyed story of self-discovery, and despite her being the sole saving grace of the film, I was put off Saoirse Ronan because of it. I'll just eat my words now. Lady Bird is a masterpiece. It's a coming-of-age tale that is up there with Boyhood or Stand by Me.

9.5/10

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (2017)

Everyone on Earth has praised this film into oblivion already, yeah? So I'll just say this: Armie Hammer is brilliant. There are two different extreme close-up shots of him in this movie where he says nothing, yet says everything.

10/10

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI (2017)

Frances McDormand would flat-out deserve Best Actress for this film if it weren't for Sally Hawkins. Every single note is hit impeccably. For that matter, the same can be said for the rest of the film as well. One of the greatest crime dramas and black comedies ever made, and one of the greatest unresolved endings since Chinatown.

9.5/10

DARKEST HOUR (2017)

Gary Oldman's greatest performance? I think it truly may be. He carries this entire film in a sprint over his head, and everyone else involved - the rest of the cast, Joe Wright, the cameras - are just playing catch-up, hurriedly picking up the occasional scattered piece that falls from the platter as Oldman storms through. And it is riveting. "Dunkirk, Pt. II" indeed.

9/10
    Of those, I most wanted to see The Shape of Water. I will have to at some point. Also Phantom Thread and The Post are on my list.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Of those, I most wanted to see The Shape of Water..

Definitely on my watch list as well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had to see The Room before The Disaster Artist, so I'm firing it up for the first time now. Wish me luck.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I had to see The Room before The Disaster Artist, so I'm firing it up for the first time now. Wish me luck.

I loved it. Definitely one of the best bad movies I have seen. Too funny.
    Henry1.jpg

It took a long time to get Henry released in the UK. It was never going to be released during the dark days of film censorship in the UK which hit it's peak in the early 90's.

Now I think it's uncut on DVD and BD. A disturbing film, but an intelligent and thought provoking low budget horror.

When Henry changes the way he killed his mother when telling the story I took from it that he has obviously killed hundreds of victims in different ways over the years and can probably barely remember how he killed her.

The zooming in on Becky's suitcase at the end I thought was pretty obvious. Becky is dead inside it and Henry has murdered her

I thought so - given Becky isn't in the car - but to me the suitcase looked a bit on the small side to fit a corpse (unless she was cut up or something of the sort)

edit: I'm a little dense.
    Titanic (1997)

MV5BMjExNzM0NDM0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkxOTUwNw@@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,337,500_AL_.jpg

2017 marks the 20th anniversary of Cameron's famous romantic disaster epic, which has rode the wave of critical acclaim, swept the Oscars, and more recently, come crashing down under the harsh strictures of a modern critical backlash. Having not seen it (I know, I know) I sought to come to a judgement on my own terms, and, quite frankly, I was very, very impressed.

There's no doubt that "Titanic" is a bloated, self-congratulatory, elongated affair - which, in a sense, makes it one of the grandest products of Hollywood cinema. This is a powerful, emotional journey of infatuation and tragedy, told in simple, melodramatic terms, to successfully convey the scope of a horrific disaster. Its visual effects are astonishing, the cinematography quite excellent.

The script....is not the best, unfortunately, but there are some very great moments that are enhanced by the score. I am far from romantic, but as far as syrupy romances go Titanic is still exceptional... That said, there are definitely some lines I would have preferred not to hear, some story beats that are questionable (tossing the Heart of the Ocean I still find frustrating and unearned)

All in all this is a true 'epic' in every sense of the term, even if it all is just Romeo and Juliet on a boat.
    The 6th Day It's a ok Arnie film the story is decent though Roger Spottiswoode's bland direction makes it an uninteresting watch at times. It occurred to me there are alot of films Arnie is in where he has a double/doppelganger/alternate version.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The 6th Day It's a ok Arnie film the story is decent though Roger Spottiswoode's bland direction makes it an uninteresting watch at times. It occurred to me there are alot of films Arnie is in where he has a double/doppelganger/alternate version.
    I remember finding it weird that the bad guy was willing to die and be brought back as a clone, considering a clone isn't really the same guy, only a duplicate. In the film they made it seem as if being cloned meant you would live forever. Maybe your business would live forever, but not you. Because you're not really you, but a clone.

You know?
  • I’d like to think your consciousness could transfer too, but that scene with the dying bad guy talking with his clone near the end ruled that out.
    No point then IMO
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I remember finding it weird that the bad guy was willing to die and be brought back as a clone, considering a clone isn't really the same guy, only a duplicate. In the film they made it seem as if being cloned meant you would live forever. Maybe your business would live forever, but not you. Because you're not really you, but a clone.

You know?

Yeah any memories being transferred is a little vague, you are right they are different people. The cloned goon Henchman die really easily, maybe they are programmed to accept they are disposable.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I’d like to think your consciousness could transfer too, but that scene with the dying bad guy talking with his clone near the end ruled that out.
    No point then IMO
    If they had actually suggested that the premise would've worked fine. I just suspended disbelief and enjoyed the proceedings.

I still greatly prefer End of Days.