Controversial opinions about other movies

GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
Since we have a, rather successful, thread where we can state our controversial opinions about Bond I suppose we could do with one about movies in general.

After all, we have quite a great deal of cinephiles over here too.

If such a thread already exists do not hesitate to point me in the right direction. I know there is a 'bad movies you love'-thread, but that's not quite the same I'd say.

Talking of controversial opinions about other movies, I consider myself a big Alfred Hitchcock fan and after a recent rewatch of Notorious, I was thinking about doing a little ranking. To my own surprise I noticed I don't rate Rear Window quite as highly as most do compared to his other work.

Of course it's an excellent film, but I do rate The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Notorious, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo, North by Northwest and Psycho all higher.

Any thoughts?

Comments

I feel the same way about Vertigo for some reason,and I really like Rear Window.

All personal taste as usual.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I feel the same way about Vertigo for some reason,and I really like Rear Window.

Yeah I'm with you Bazza (same 'personal taste' as @barryt007! I've reached a new low), I've always found Vertigo overrrated.

I'd have all the below above Vertigo:
    The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Dial M For Murder
    NBNW
    Strangers On Train
    Rear Window

As for another controversial opinion 've got a mate who is adamant that Nikita is better than Leon. Don't get me wrong Nikita is a good film but I'm not having that at all.

Yeah I'm with you Bazza (same 'personal taste' as @barryt007! I've reached a new low), I've always found Vertigo overrrated.

The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Dial M For Murder
    NBNW
    Strangers On Train
    Rear Window

As for another controversial opinion 've got a mate who is adamant that Nikita is better than Leon. Don't get me wrong Nikita is a good film but I'm not having that at all.

You finally have taste,Wiz....bravo !! ;)

The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Dial M For Murder
    NBNW
    Strangers On Train
    Rear Window

Always had it mate. Like most sane people I certainly wouldn't kick Maryam out of bed!

The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Dial M For Murder
    NBNW
    Strangers On Train
    Rear Window

Always had it mate. Like most sane people I certainly wouldn't kick Maryam out of bed!

Neither would I...I would just kick her arse out the door with i'm finished with her.

The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Dial M For Murder
    NBNW
    Strangers On Train
    Rear Window

Neither would I...I would just kick her arse out the door with i'm finished with her.

She just can't get a break, can't she!

I rate Rear Window a bit higher too, but like both films really much. Never seen a Hitchcock-film I didn't like. I'm planning to rewatch a few of them this christmas!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I also haven't seen a Hitchcock film I didn't at least enjoy to a degree. But I find VERTIGO highly overrated, and THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY only mildly amusing. But beautiful cinematography of Indian Summer and a decent Bernard Herrmann score do not make the latter a Hitchcock for me, and I find the whole story of the former borderline cringeworthy and unbelievable, not to mention that I hate the fact that they give away the "secret" in the middle of the movie. Two of my least favourite Hitchcock films, and I think I know at least 90 per cent of them all.

My top Hitch movies are NORTH BY NORTHWEST (no contest at all), and then probably REAR WINDOW; PSYCHO and THE BIRDS in some order. But I do prefer even many of the often-maligned or obscure movies like TO CATCH A THIEF or, say, LIFEBOAT over the two mentioned initially.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 684
    In terms of Hitch, his top tier for me (chronologically) would be something like: THE LADY VANISHES, SHADOW OF A DOUBT, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, REAR WINDOW, and PSYCHO (those last two being my absolute favorites). After that would Be NOTORIOUS, LIFEBOAT, TO CATCH A THIEF, VERTIGO, and NORTH BY NORTHWEST, keeping in mind that I've missed a good chunk of his early stuff.

The one I rate lower than most would be REBECCA.

Here are a few potential controversial opinions:
    • In general I've never really liked superhero films. I've only ever really enjoyed Batman.
    • Spielberg's best film is A.I. and his best Indy is TEMPLE OF DOOM.
    • I prefer the going to the drive-in over going to the movie theater.
    I enjoy VERTIGO, but probably like NORTH BY NORTHWEST, ROPE, and a few others more. I remember really liking the '56 THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH as well.
    This thread makes me want to revisit some Hitchcock. There's a ton I haven't seen in years: SUSPICION, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS etc
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,757

I’m with your mate, I think Nikita is Besson’s best film. I’d go even further and put Léon third behind Le grand bleu as well.
    Wil ferrel isn't funny and anchorman is awful
    edited December 2017 Posts: 9,117
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I’d go even further and put Léon third behind Le grand bleu as well.

Why not behind Valerian too while you're at it?
    Alan007 wrote: »

The first I found quite funny, but not as much as some of my friends.

Ferrell is too one note as an actor and comedian. Steve Carrell to me seems like someone with far more range and ability.

The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Dial M For Murder
    NBNW
    Strangers On Train
    Rear Window

You aren't the only one to find Vertigo overrated. I think Barry Norman did too.

I’d go even further and put Léon third behind Le grand bleu as well.

Why not behind Valerian too while you're at it?

Haven't seen it ;)

Agree on Ferrell. Never bothered to watch Anchorman based on this, although I think that could be one of the films that could be tolerable instead of something really stupid like Get Hard or Daddy's Home.

But ever since he started on SNL I didn't see the appeal, very one-note. Adam Sandler kind of does the same thing but for whatever reason I find him more amusing.
    If you've seen Elf or Anchorman you have seen every Will Ferrell film.
    Always found Anchorman quite funny, really. If there's one film that suits Will Ferrell, it's that one. :D
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I used to think that until I saw Stranger Than Fiction (2006). He's actually a far better serious actor than a comedic one. The film has a good bit of comedy in it, but it's far more subdued humor than most of his work, and it's actually quite a good story. The film is basically The Stanley Parable in movie form.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 11,189

I used to think that until I saw Stranger Than Fiction (2006). He's actually a far better serious actor than a comedic one. The film has a good bit of comedy in it, but it's far more subdued humor than most of his work, and it's actually quite a good story. The film is basically The Stanley Parable in movie form.

Ah yes. I'd forgotten about that. It's a pity we don't see more films like that from him.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »

The 39 Steps
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Dial M For Murder
    NBNW
    Strangers On Train
    Rear Window

You aren't the only one to find Vertigo overrated. I think Barry Norman did too.

I actually happen to think that any of his post World War II espionage movies lacks big way. Each and everyone a failure.
    North By Northwest? That was espionage and that was far from a failure.
  • You are of course absolutely right. I just completely forgot about it. But apart from that ...
    Watched Plein soleil the other day.

I would presume most people would prefer The Talented Mr Ripley. But really though, Plein soleil blows it out of the water and Alain Delon outplays Matt Damon on every front.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I really hate Forrest Gump

Sentimental garbage, with a vomit inducing political message and each decade presented as nothing more than a caricature.

When Gump does try to say something meaningful his microphone is conveniently unplugged.

Ticked all the Academy award boxes. And Tom Hanks wisely never went 'full retard'
    I don't like any Quentin Tarantino movies. Most overrated director ever IMO. That's my biggest controversial opinion on movies.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I would presume most people would prefer The Talented Mr Ripley. But really though, Plein soleil blows it out of the water and Alain Delon outplays Matt Damon on every front.

@GoldenGun Delon as Bond? B-)

s-l300.jpg
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I don't like any Quentin Tarantino movies. Most overrated director ever IMO. That's my biggest controversial opinion on movies.

I agree. The man's action sequences are garbage.
    mattjoes wrote: »

@GoldenGun Delon as Bond? B-)

s-l300.jpg

Definitely one of my 10 favourite actors ever. The epitome of French class.
    He would have been a great Mathis ;)