The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I enjoy Ghost in the Shell in a similar respect to Blade Runner—both for its philosophy and as a transporting, mood-setting work of art. As far as plot and characters go, however, I actually enjoy Stand Alone Complex considerably more than the '95 film.

Right there with ya! ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,395
    91qekepVHuL._RI_.jpg
    HD Download of Diamonds are Forever 9 Eon digital copies bought 15 to go, my deadline to get the whole series is before the Bond 25 release.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    the-admirable-crichton-dv.jpg

c11234fd8c5e57ca9fd9742908389382.jpg
    91spajbNhPL._SX342_.jpg

I haven't seen them all- now I will.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    91spajbNhPL._SX342_.jpg

I haven't seen them all- now I will.

I have all the movies The Final Chapter I thought was one of the better films in the series.
  • @chrisisall, I love the Resident Evil films. If you're looking for something fun and brainless in the sci-fi action/horror genre, you're in for a great time.

This fall I finally picked up the 5-film collection for a great price:

81JwPfM6syL._SL1500_.jpg

Contrary to @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I actually found The Final Chapter my least favorite of the series. Retribution—and I'm really not spoiling anything with this—ends with the promise of an all-out battle featuring many of the cast we've come to know over the films. In a sense, Retribution feels like a final film with its bringing together several of the cast from across the various films. But TFC, surely for budgetary reasons, doesn't show us that battle, skipping instead to the wasteland aftermath, and drops many of the cast we'd expect might have been included. I found it a much smaller scale story in many ways and overall have decided, by comparison with the other 5, that having seen it twice now I really don't care to rewatch it. The one thing I do like about TFC is the resolution of Alice's story. Other than that, I can live with Retribution's promise of the battle to come (that never comes) as the series' ending. So this set was actually the perfect choice for me.

The first film is great. It's really the closest the series ever comes to approaching straight horror with some genuinely tense moments amidst the techno-backed action scenes. Apocalypse generally gets ragged on I feel, but I enjoy it for nostalgic reasons (and for Sienna Guillory's Jill Valentine). It's where the series starts moving away from horror and toward the over-the-top action, a progression that continues incrementally straight on through the series. Extinction is generally held in higher regard. It didn't connect with me at first but I've come around on it and have been appreciating it more and more. Some references to Romero's third zombie flick Day of the Dead, and the deserted Las Vegas setting makes for a great action centerpiece. Afterlife is on the smaller-scale side of things but entertains in its own way and is a perfectly enjoyable bridging film. Retribution might actually be my favorite. The opening sequence alone—played backwards and in slow motion and set to tomandandy's seriously cool score—is a work of explosion-filled art. They're all great fun really, all six of them, and short enough that you can get two or three in at a time to make for one long popcorn-entertainment packed evening. Check your brains at the door—they'll be safer that way. ;)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,395
    My rating for the Resident Evil Films

Resident Evil
    Apocalypse and Extinction are on par for me
    The Final Chapter
    Afterlife
    Retribution

Though even the lower ranked films I enjoy alot.

Resident Evil
    The Final Chapter
    Afterlife
    Retribution

Thanks F&I!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,490
    255a85ab-d340-4bb0-acf6-0aa9ef939eef_1.95c0c547ed350416fe5e49fc39db4592.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

6169802_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    255a85ab-d340-4bb0-acf6-0aa9ef939eef_1.95c0c547ed350416fe5e49fc39db4592.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

6169802_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

The kingsman films are not only funny but incredibly entertaining, however am I the only one who wasn’t a massive fan of IT, I found it entertaining enough but not really scary, more lighthearted
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t like any of the IT films.
    I will definitely be buying It when it comes out. I also plan on buying Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, and Coco when they release; some of my favorites from 2017.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Frivolous Lola (1998) dir. Tinto Brass. Arrow Video DVD. Not seen any Brass before (except Caligula back in the day), but was intrigued when I read the essay about this in my Cult Cinema: An Arrow Video Companion book. Seems like some harmless fun with some lovely ladies.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    9200000050270704.jpg9200000056859123.jpg
    BD299: Crimson Peak (2015) € 5,00 (New)
    BD300!: Hail Caesar! (2016) € 5,00 (New)

9200000056859121.jpg9200000058296948.jpg
    BD301: Room (2015) € 5,00 (New)
    BD302: Anomalisa (2015) € 5,00 (New)
    Carrie (1976) dir. Brian de Palma - Arrow Video blu-ray box set. Another cracking Limited Edition (already sold out) from Arrow, featuring a 4K restoration of the film, archive features ported over from previous issue, couple of new featurettes, double sized poster, featuring original "If you've a taste for terror…" poster and new artwork, and a 40-page booklet filled with essays and great pics.
    I've seen this film more times than is good for me, but still love it. From Sissy's great performance, de Palma's excellent film-making and Donaggio's hauntingly beautiful score. This film started my love of de Palma's films and King's novels. Great.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Beguiled
    Song To Song
    Doctor Who: The Face Of Evil
    Doctor Who: Shada
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,447
    DVD:

K-Pax-2001-Dutch-Front-Cover-98263.jpg
    K-Pax (2001) € 0,50

9200000048064994.jpg
    The Last Five Years (2014) € 0,50
    91HuUzVL0KL._RI_SX200_.jpg

Ultra HD
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    chrisisall wrote: »

Resident Evil
    The Final Chapter
    Afterlife
    Retribution

Thanks F&I!

I'm a little late in commenting but I really enjoy the films. However a lot don't. My ranking is...

Resident Evil
    Extinction
    Apocalypse
    Afterlife
    The Final Chapter
    Retribution (this is the only one that I actually don't like and I've only seen it once)

Let us know what you think and your ranking of each film.
    Batman Begins Blu ray. Because I only own the DVD, ;)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Doctor Who:
    Robot
    Terror Of The Zygons
    The Invasion Of Time
    Horror Of Fang Rock
    The Sun Makers
    The Key To Time (The Ribos Operation - The Pirate Planet - The Stones Of Blood - The Androids Of Tara - The Power Of Kroll - The Armageddon Factor)

That'll keep HMV in business a while longer.
    Doctor Who:
    Robot
    Terror Of The Zygons
    The Invasion Of Time
    Horror Of Fang Rock
    The Sun Makers
    The Key To Time (The Ribos Operation - The Pirate Planet - The Stones Of Blood - The Androids Of Tara - The Power Of Kroll - The Armageddon Factor)

That's some good watching there. Got all apart from Robot and Horror of Fang Rock, but my son's got HoFG.
    Doctor Who:
    Robot
    Terror Of The Zygons
    The Invasion Of Time
    Horror Of Fang Rock
    The Sun Makers

That's some good watching there. Got all apart from Robot and Horror of Fang Rock, but my son's got HoFG.

Seeing so many on the shelf, it was hard to stop there, I was tempted to also grab the New Beginning set as well as Genesis Of The Daleks.
    Doctor Who:
    Robot
    Terror Of The Zygons
    The Invasion Of Time
    Horror Of Fang Rock
    The Sun Makers

A nice collection of Tom Baker titles well worth your time. I have got them all as wel except for the Sun makers.
    Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Vol. 1 - dual format. Another Arrow Video release, this one limited to 3000 copies and only a few left. So with my Arrow points I purchased this set of three films from Nikkatsu studios. Films are: Voice Without a Shadow; Red Pier (both widescreen mono) and The Rambling Guitarist. Should be a nice addition to my growing collection of Japanese movies.
    Damn you Arrow Video and your Festive Sale! Been very restrained and only got Caligula - The Ultimate Edition (1979) and Kinji Fukasaku's Cops vs Thugs (1974). Could have bought so much more…
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn you Arrow Video and your Festive Sale! Been very restrained and only got Caligula - The Ultimate Edition (1979) and Kinji Fukasaku's Cops vs Thugs (1974). Could have bought so much more…

I've been itching to see Caligula for years now, but it seems so incredibly divisive.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I've been itching to see Caligula for years now, but it seems so incredibly divisive.

Yes, I suppose that's one of those films you kind of just have to see at some point just to have seen it. I'm sure I'll get to it myself some day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw Caligula in the cinema, a few years later. It has a lot of great scenes. McDowell is perfect in the part.