Die Another Day New 2CD Release

Comments

• boldfinger wrote: »
    ...I just shelled out a little fortune for Lalaland´s expanded release of the Sky Captain soundtrack, which is so worth it!

Oh yes, that Sky Captain release is fantastic. Almost too much great music. I'm exhausted each time I reach the end of it. Still there are no individual tracks I'd dream of cutting. I'll have to give some thought to winnowing it down at some point. Stellar score.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sky Captain:
    - underrated movie
    - highly underrated score
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's the score; I don't need the Madonna song. It brings a fairly standalone aura to the film anyway. A few notes of it--what few notes it has--have made it into the score, but nothing to get worked up over. Furthermore, you can, as @JET007 pointed out, find it elsewhere. If you want it in the score, just do some ripping, copying, pasting and merging. ;-)

I'm hopeful though that THE CLASH will be featured in the score, since I've always loved how "London calling" segues into Arnold's ominous orchestral piece.
    Probably not. The release I´ve got features the JB theme we hear when Bond sits in the 747 segueing into the part we hear when Graves makes his parachute jump.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    ...I just shelled out a little fortune for Lalaland´s expanded release of the Sky Captain soundtrack, which is so worth it!

Oh yes, that Sky Captain release is fantastic. Almost too much great music. I'm exhausted each time I reach the end of it. Still there are no individual tracks I'd dream of cutting. I'll have to give some thought to winnowing it down at some point. Stellar score.
    Not only is every single track great, but most of all the score shines as one amazing coherence of music in this format. The old release featured great tracks (obviously), but the tracks among one another had barely any connection, making the listening experience on the whole disjointed.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Sky Captain:
    - underrated movie
    - highly underrated score
    +1.

• Up online now! I just grabbed mine!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Me too. As I live in the UK, the shipping costs made me wince.
  • Even stateside they made me wince, as they’ve gone up considerably. I can’t imagine what yours looked like.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Me too. As I live in the UK, the shipping costs made me wince.

Wait till you get to the import duty
    For people who until now only had the official soundtrack cd, all wincing will be forgotten once you hear the full score.
  • Oh absolutely, there’s so much wonderful stuff that was left off the OST. As the release announcement states, “revelatory.” I can’t wait to hear it all in fantastic sound quality.
    From the samples this sounds better than the b**t that I had heard.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Regarding the electronic-free version of Gustav Graves' Grand Entrance, from the album tracklist it would seem to me it's not available in the new release, right?

James Bond Will Return turns out to have been "David's End Credits."
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 5,767
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Regarding the electronic-free version of Gustav Graves' Grand Entrance, from the album tracklist it would seem to me it's not available in the new release, right?
    The second half of the track is as it appears in the film, the electronics bit is a short segue from the JB theme (which is the first half) to the second half. There is hardly any elecronics in the track to begin with. In the film you hear The Clash´s London Calling instead of the JB theme and the short electronic bit.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    boldfinger wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The second half of the track is as it appears in the film, the electronics bit is a short segue from the JB theme (which is the first half) to the second half. There is hardly any elecronics in the track to begin with. In the film you hear The Clash´s London Calling instead of the JB theme and the short electronic bit.

In the previously leaked music track, the electronics are present all throughout its second half, not briefly. In the film, the same part has no electronics whatsoever.

Film: https://youtube.com/watch?v=BRbTQKh1RN8&t=55s

Leaked track: https://youtube.com/watch?v=nqhvhvQ_has&t=55s

I don't know if the track included in the new album is the same as the previously leaked track.
    @mattjoes, wow, you´re right! I never realised that. Probably because I quite enjoy the electronics ;-).
    I would assume that the same version as the leaked one will appear on the new release, but let´s see.
    I would also assume that the version that´s in the film might be copied from one of the North Korea scenes at the beginning of the film, so you´d get that as well.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    @mattjoes, wow, you´re right! I never realised that. Probably because I quite enjoy the electronics ;-).
    I would assume that the same version as the leaked one will appear on the new release, but let´s see.
    I would also assume that the version that´s in the film might be copied from one of the North Korea scenes at the beginning of the film, so you´d get that as well.

The film version of Graves's Entrance IS the original recording, juist with the electronics dialled down. A similar thing happens with Ice Palace Car Chase: the original recording appears in the film, but the electronics which are present throughout are dialled down until the moment Bond tricks Zao into crashing.

Neither 'film version' appears on the new album, which would seem to indicate that the film versions that ARE on the album are different in other ways than a simple dialling down of electronics. We know this is the case with Hovercraft Chase, which appears in the film as a rather ugly edit of the original track. Still, the film versions on the new album are pretty much all the same length as the original tracks, so the question remains what the exact differences will be.
    I think there isn´t a Bond film where the composer delivered music exactly as it was going to be in the film. There always was an element of editing and shoving around and duplicating involved.
    Now the race is on to see whose arrives first!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It begins...my wish is coming true. Hopefully they can expand the remaining Barry scores. Moonraker and AVTAK would be a dream come true.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I just bought it.
    It just arrived! It’s bloody amazing!!!!!!! I really hope sales warrant more releases like this! Pure Double O heaven!
  • Wonderful! I'm expecting mine any time now. Hopefully tomorrow!
    I got mine, It's really good. The sound quality is fabulous though aside from that it's not that much different than what's been already floating around. I'm disappointed this new release didn't include the film versions of Ice Palace Car Chase and Switchblades which didn't have the techno drums in the background. Aside from that, It's a great release and I hope La La Land records does more expanded Bond scores very soon. A View To a Kill, Moonraker and Octopussy would be my top choices.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    I got mine, It's really good. The sound quality is fabulous though aside from that it's not that much different than what's been already floating around. I'm disappointed this new release didn't include the film versions of Ice Palace Car Chase and Switchblades which didn't have the techno drums in the background. Aside from that, It's a great release and I hope La La Land records does more expanded Bond scores very soon. A View To a Kill, Moonraker and Octopussy would be my top choices.
    I got mine today, as well! My thoughts parallel yours. I rather love the alternate version of Peaceful Fountains of Desire.
    I got mine today, as well! My thoughts parallel yours. I rather love the alternate version of Peaceful Fountains of Desire.

Oh yes that's a great track. :D

Yes, sir! :D

Also, not having Madonna on board is a major plus!

Yes, sir! :D

Also, not having Madonna on board is a major plus!

I wouldn't have minded an instrumental of just the orchestra on that one. ;)
  • My biggest disappointment is not having the orchestra-only film version of “Gustav Graves’ Entrance.” But this is what David Arnold wanted released, apparently. Still, tons of fantastic stuff on these two discs. Listening to it over and over with cues like “Kiss of Life,” “Wheelchair Access,” and “Bond Goes to Iceland,” my estimation of this score just keeps rising and rising. It’s a big, swaggering, cocky score full of great action writing. I think the electronics throw a lot of people—especially those scratching effects and the stuttering dub drums—but with enough listens, even those become a positive factor in DAD’s musical identity, somewhat akin to GoldenEye’s unique echoing, chanting, and wah-wah-wahhing industrial sound. And yes, beautiful sound quality on LLL’s release.
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, that's one I also forgot to mention. It's one of my favorite Bond scores for sure, I'm glad it's finally been given an official expanded release.
    Hear hear! It’s one of my favourite Bond scores as well. And it makes me love the film even more.
    I wouldn´t want to miss one beat of the techno drums, they are the first thing that attracted me back then to the music, and I still love them!