No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I personally wouldn’t mind Adele getting another song.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

We're not even past the distribution deal yet, and tabloids are talking about the soundtrack... The last thing that matters. Something that's only a construction in a post-production period.

I actually love when these rumors take place, because they're the easiest to call BS on. It's one of the last things they'll organize, yet seems to be one of the first rumors that circulates about a film. It needn't even be shared.

Who or what is a Paloma Faith anyway?
    Definitely. But, let's peek out of this forum and search for the average social media site user, they believe balderdash like this the moment the first word drops. That's why I find it infuriating.

Paloma Faith... Sounds like some kind of a new brand name for a fruit juice. Lol!

That's true. There are a LOT of people on social media who share articles and information with the click of a finger, regardless of how bogus or impossible it may seem. It's real sad.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I think you can have both quite easily. You can have a Bond film that's fun and thrilling while at the same time still have fleshed out characters and a real sense of violence/danger. SP struck a great balance imo. That film has its problems but I definitely don't think the tone was one of them.
    Totally agreed.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I think you can have both quite easily. You can have a Bond film that's fun and thrilling while at the same time still have fleshed out characters and a real sense of violence/danger. SP struck a great balance imo. That film has its problems but I definitely don't think the tone was one of them.
    Totally agreed.
    Thirded.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think it's a bit unfair to presume he'd approach Bond in exactly the same way he approached Batman or any of his other movies.
    Of all his films I've seen they are tonally all the same, bleak, depressing, sterile. That's not what Bond needs.

I've never sided with the complaints of the Craig era being "too dark." You can argue it's the darkest of the Bond eras, but they still have some camp in them and can be quite funny fairly often. I'm not sure if Nolan's take on Bond would be "too dark", but his Batman films had plenty of lighter moments.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    A second or two of "light" moments doesn't make the entry a product of camp.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't say it was too dark but with the constant, Trust issues, Double Oh section being at constant risk of shutdown. villains with mommy and daddy issues and Bond brooding and being miserable and joyless, I don't see how Nolan would bring the opposite of that since that seems to be where he thrives. They may have lighter moments but too few inbetween and like others have mentioned, I can't stand Hans Zimmer and after two dreadful Newman Bond scores, I sure as hell don't want Zimmer at the helm to score a Bond film. Nolan and Zimmer have a style I don't much care for and I don't want that to taint Bond for me.
    I don't see Nolan being any more dark or depressing than Mendes already has been. I still stand by taking anybody over Mendes. If it's not him directing, then I'm not allowed to complain about the choice.
    SP can be quite campy in more than two places. I’ll concede though that it is the most tonally unbalanced of the series. Craig’s others have better tonal balance.
    I also wouldn't mind the series going in a lighter direction again, but the "darkness" of Craig's era has never been a bother to me. For the most part, I don't see them as much darker than say FRWL or OHMSS, and certainly not LTK (the series' darkest IMO). Obviously some of the Bond films are darker than others, but none of the films are devoid of humor.
    I'm lenient on tonal imbalances if the film has interesting things to show. Having said that, I don't think Spectre really has significant imbalances, because the film gradually reduces the amount of humor, and the earlier, funnier scenes only feature little throwaway funny bits, nothing outrageous and/or out-of-character to really bring a moment down (unlike say, the San Francisco chase in AVTAK). And by the time we reach Blofeld's lair, things are played straight, so you feel there is something at stake in the film and the film feels organic as a whole.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,725
    The one moment that I find hilarious in context, but will concede hurts the scene is when Madeleine tells Bond she can't go with him. "No, I can't." "No, you can't stay here or..."
    But that's a small part of a long film, and as I said, I'm lenient on these things, in part because I think there is something great about the showmanship of breaking the fourth wall or acknowledging the audience from time to time.
    Everyone complains about oberhausers base being the films low point, I think it's the culminative high point, the scenery, music, bond & Madeline looking at the pictures in their rooms, & the meteorite scenes were among one of the best in the series imo.
    For me, the best scenes in SP are:

1. Bond and Mr. White’s reunion
    2. PTS
    3. Train fight
    4. SPECTRE meeting
    5. Snow plane chase
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited December 2017 Posts: 7,314
    I don't see Nolan being any more dark or depressing than Mendes already has been. I still stand by taking anybody over Mendes. If it's not him directing, then I'm not allowed to complain about the choice.

I'm with you 100%. I've had my fill of Mendes and will be open minded enough to give the next guy a fair chance, no matter who that might be. Please, let's see what someone else can bring to the table.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 3,279
    pachazo wrote: »

I'm with you 100%. I've had my fill of Mendes and will be open minded enough to give the next guy a fair chance, no matter who that might be. Please, let's see what someone else can bring to the table.

I don't rate Mendes at all. The only two decent Bond directors in the franchise for the past 40 years are John Glen and Martin Campbell, and they both were fortunate to direct more than one film.

Mendes has also been given the opportunity to direct more than one film, but IMO he did an ok job with one film, and messed up the other one completely. He isn't a good Bond director.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It does seem a bit suspicious that with less than two years to go we still have nothing to go on in the way of information regarding the film. It's as if EON are holding back for something.
    It does seem a bit suspicious that with less than two years to go we still have nothing to go on in the way of information regarding the film. It's as if EON are holding back for something.

It's just under two years, which is still an incredibly long time. Give it three or four months max and that'll likely change.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I think it's a bit unfair to presume he'd approach Bond in exactly the same way he approached Batman or any of his other movies.
    Of all his films I've seen they are tonally all the same, bleak, depressing, sterile. That's not what Bond needs.

Which ones have you seen? In a lot of his films there's humour and lighter moments. I can think of a few bits in Inception and in his Batman movies that come to mind. I think a lot of the movies that tried to ape the success of the Dark Knight movies went tried to be as dark and gritty as possible for the sake of it and it did get annoying but I think those people misunderstood what made Nolan's films successful.

I don't get what you mean by a sterile tone either. And I wouldn't say many of his films are bleak or depressing at all. Dark sure but not bleak. There's nothing depressing about Batman finally finding happiness or Churchill's speech being read out over the soldiers from Dunkirk being welcomed back as heroes.

Interstellar was probably his weakest film, and even that was really well made and emotional. And Dunkirk was like nothing he'd done before and he knocked it out of the park. I don't think it's fair to say that all his films are the same whatsoever, and with the amount if variety and the risks he's taken on his films I don't think it's fair to say any of us know how he'd approach Bond.

And I really don't get why people keep saying they want a "lighter" film when all the Craig films have had funny bits and the last two in particular have managed to strike a great balance and bring back a bit of that tongue in cheekness with the one liners and all that. I don't want a Marvel style quipfest. Even the Roger Moore movies had a genuine sense of danger and violence to them in a lot of scenes. Bond needs to have that edge imo.

I understand not wanting it to be personal, just Bond on a mission, no more traitor subplots and trust issues and all that stuff, but that has nothing to do with how "dark" the film is.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    No sense in discussing title song rumors when it's one of the last things decided during production.
    I don’t see the harm. The whole thing is speculation anyway.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The title track for Bond 25 should be called 'it better be worth the wait'
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I don’t see the harm. The whole thing is speculation anyway.
    True. I meant it's senseless for tabloids to claim certain artists are singing the theme when it would never be decided this early.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,725
    Murdock wrote: »

Which ones have you seen? In a lot of his films there's humour and lighter moments. I can think of a few bits in Inception and in his Batman movies that come to mind. I think a lot of the movies that tried to ape the success of the Dark Knight movies went tried to be as dark and gritty as possible for the sake of it and it did get annoying but I think those people misunderstood what made Nolan's films successful.

I don't get what you mean by a sterile tone either. And I wouldn't say many of his films are bleak or depressing at all. Dark sure but not bleak. There's nothing depressing about Batman finally finding happiness or Churchill's speech being read out over the soldiers from Dunkirk being welcomed back as heroes.

Interstellar was probably his weakest film, and even that was really well made and emotional. And Dunkirk was like nothing he'd done before and he knocked it out of the park. I don't think it's fair to say that all his films are the same whatsoever, and with the amount if variety and the risks he's taken on his films I don't think it's fair to say any of us know how he'd approach Bond.

And I really don't get why people keep saying they want a "lighter" film when all the Craig films have had funny bits and the last two in particular have managed to strike a great balance and bring back a bit of that tongue in cheekness with the one liners and all that. I don't want a Marvel style quipfest. Even the Roger Moore movies had a genuine sense of danger and violence to them in a lot of scenes. Bond needs to have that edge imo.

I understand not wanting it to be personal, just Bond on a mission, no more traitor subplots and trust issues and all that stuff, but that has nothing to do with how "dark" the film is.

I think Skyfall, while not devoid of funny bits, ultimately comes across as not light at all, not only --perhaps not even mainly-- because of the dramatic ending, but also because there is a slightly cold, clinical, detached feeling to the film, and it has a deliberate pace and a sense of "stillness", as if you were watching a drama instead of an action thriller. Also, Bond comes across as slightly muted in his emotions, even a bit stiff.

Quantum of Solace is, by comparison, funnier, not too funny, but funnier, and unlike Skyfall, it has so much energy and moves so quickly that it feels more alive. I like it better. Spectre needs no explanation regarding its sense of humor.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    How many people would have predicted Chris Cornell for a title song? Not many.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    How many people would have predicted Chris Cornell for a title song? Not many.

True but I think after the success of SF we can expect bigger, poppier names for the foreseeable.
    jake24 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I just get the impression Barbara Broccoli treats Bond like a hobby, whereas her father treated it as a job.
    I don't get that impression at all.

I don't know, I just get this feeling of laxity on their part, that is partially reflected by the fact the films are released further apart than back in the day.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree with comments that Nolan's films tend to have a darker aesthetic. Given the themes involved in Interstellar and Inception, that's not unexpected, and Batman requires no justification (he is a Dark Knight after all).

I also agree that his films have quite a bit of humour sprinkled within them (especially the Bat trilogy) which I quite enjoy, while still having dramatic heft. Interstellar was a bit on the heavy side for me, but I don't see how they could have avoided that given the 'time' and family aspect.

I found the humour in SF very enjoyable. Honestly I have never understood the comments I've read here about it being too heavy going. M's death scene is right at the end and I don't know about others, but I didn't get all teared up about it (I didn't think highly enough of her to get worked up about her death). In fact, I didn't understand why Bond was balling so much over her either. Still, as I said, it was at the end. I quite liked the humour in QoS as well. It was a bit more subtle, but was still there. If B25 handles it like either of these two films, I will be very happy.

I didn't like the humour in SP one bit however. To my eyes it just seemed tacked on for effect, and the delivery was flat (especially Craig imho). It was like a whole film worth of 'Circle of Life' from SF (the worst part of that film).