Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

The funny thing is Plummer hated The Sound of Music. Not sure I would have liked him as Bond. Amazing actor, but according to Anthony Burgess he was notoriously difficult to work with.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Yes, I seem to recall reading the same thing about Plummer as well @Ludovico. I have fond memories of going to see him in Silent Partner back in '78. A movie that I thought was brilliant then, and that I still think holds up pretty well even today, despite cellphones making it feel slightly obsolete. Plummer plays the psychopathic crook dressed as Santa very convincingly in this. It was probably Elliot Gould's last great movie, too, though I do have a soft spot for his The Last Flight of Noah's Ark.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, I seem to recall reading the same thing about Plummer as well @Ludovico. I have fond memories of going to see him in Silent Partner back in '78. A movie that I thought was brilliant then, and that I still think holds up pretty well even today, despite cellphones making it feel slightly obsolete. Plummer plays the psychopathic crook dressed as Santa very convincingly in this. It was probably Elliot Gould's last great movie, too, though I do have a soft spot for his The Last Flight of Noah's Ark.

Silent Partner is a movie I've been on the lookout for. Can't remember having seen a young(er) Christopher Plummer in any films before!
    I bought Silent Partner on DVD when it was first released in that format, I don't know, maybe 12 years ago, or more. Excellent cat-and-mouse thriller with Plummer playing a sadistic killer against type. It was actually an X-certificate when I saw it in the theatres in 78, and it did have enough nastiness in it back then to warrant the adult certificate. Today, it would probably only get a 15 cert at most. Worth tracking down if you can get hold of it, @Torgeirtrap
    I bought Silent Partner on DVD when it was first released in that format, I don't know, maybe 12 years ago, or more. Excellent cat-and-mouse thriller with Plummer playing a sadistic killer against type. It was actually an X-certificate when I saw it in the theatres in 78, and it did have enough nastiness in it back then to warrant the adult certificate. Today, it would probably only get a 15 cert at most. Worth tracking down if you can get hold of it, @Torgeirtrap

It's on my list, so I will definitely try to find it!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I saw Silent Partner many years back. Plummer was quite creepy in it, as I recall. It might be time for another viewing shortly.

I also saw The High Commissioner years ago too but don't remember much about that.
    The Terence Young WWII film TRIPLE CROSS is a pretty good showcase for Christopher Plummer as a potential Bond. He's quite Bondian in several scenes. Actually, some of his dialogue is spoken with a Connery style phrasing and emphasis. Claudine Auger and Gert Frobe make it even more worthwhile. I recommend it!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,554
    For Bond 26, EON (or whoever) might want to go younger, with the potential of picki ng up younger audiences, particularly female fans.

I was sorta lukewarm about Charlie Hunnam before. But now, after seeing Lost City of Z, I think he is primed and ready to take this on. He can be both rugged and charming. He is at the top of my list to succeed DC. Tom Hiddleston would be my #2. .

I'm quite certain JB#007 will be selected with an eye on the female fan quotient too. I'm not sold on Hunnam. He has the look but he hasn't really stood out in anything I've seen him in. I purchased a few of his flicks last year to check his suitability but he lacks gravitas imho.
    Hunnam has one big strike against him: King Arthur.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The only thing I've seen him in was Pacific Rim and thought he had zero charisma; in fact when I left the theater, I remember telling my girlfriend that it would have been a better movie with someone else in his role.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »
    The only thing I've seen him in was Pacific Rim and thought he had zero charisma; in fact when I left the theater, I remember telling my girlfriend that it would have been a better movie with someone else in his role.
    I saw that film when it came out and didn't even remember that he was in it until you mentioned it. Says it all really.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    talos7 wrote: »

I thought he was the one thing that dragged an otherwise enjoyable film down.
  • I've only seen him in Green Street as far as I can remember but that was one of the worst leading performances I've ever seen in my life. Keep him away from Bond please.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,490
    This might've been shared elsewhere already, but Hugh Jackman shared a little more on why he turned down Bond. It might be common knowledge and I never had heard it, but it seems then they were looking to replace Brosnan well before DAD even released:

“I was about to do X-Men 2 and a call came from my agent asking if I’d be interested in Bond. I just felt at the time that the scripts had become so unbelievable and crazy, and I felt like they needed to become grittier and real. And the response was: ‘Oh, you don’t get a say. You just have to sign on.’ I was also worried that between Bond and ‘X-Men,’ I’d never have time to do different things.”
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think he could have been great in the role; he is one of the few actors who could have brought charm and rugged physicality to the part.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This might've been shared elsewhere already, but Hugh Jackman shared a little more on why he turned down Bond. It might be common knowledge and I never had heard it, but it seems then they were looking to replace Brosnan well before DAD even released:

“I was about to do X-Men 2 and a call came from my agent asking if I’d be interested in Bond. I just felt at the time that the scripts had become so unbelievable and crazy, and I felt like they needed to become grittier and real. And the response was: ‘Oh, you don’t get a say. You just have to sign on.’ I was also worried that between Bond and ‘X-Men,’ I’d never have time to do different things.”
    Very interesting. How times have changed. These days one could be forgiven for thinking the actor is running the entire show. Craig certainly got a say when they crafted CR.

Hugh could have been good I think. I disagree with Babs, who allegedly considered him 'fey'.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Is it just me or does it seem like there loads of fairly young, rising star sort of actors who could have been good around that time (replacing Brosnan) but barely any now?

That's why I hope they don't think too much about longetivity/how old the actor is. Give me two or three films with Fassbender over five or six with Aiden Turner or someone off Game Of Thrones any day.
    I didn't think there were all that many good choices to replace Brosnan, but Chris Bale, Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen would have been top of my list at the time. Particularly Bale. It was bittersweet when he was cast as the Bat because I knew he wouldn't get Bond.

There is something to be said for maturity though certainly. I'm currently watching Berlin Station, and Richard Armitage definitely has the height and looks for the role along with the maturity. He's another one that could have done it if cast earlier but at 46 he's too old for it now (he looks very good for his age though).

Personally, I think actors should do three to four max and then get lost. Keeps it fresh and they normally peak on their third anyway.
    That's interesting about Hugh Jackman ,and he obviously was very interested in the role.
    But to be told 'you have no say' would put anyone off with his calibre.

And I think Babs has a lot to answer for re the situation then AND now.

How times have changed now eh ?
    Mr Craig - Co Producer and major input.
    Is it just me or does it seem like there loads of fairly young, rising star sort of actors who could have been good around that time (replacing Brosnan) but barely any now?

That's why I hope they don't think too much about longetivity/how old the actor is. Give me two or three films with Fassbender over five or six with Aiden Turner or someone off Game Of Thrones any day.

It's not only you: I always said the pool circa 2005 was overall very interesting.

Regarding Jackman I think he was too associated with Wolverine at the time, otherwise he'd been good. That said I sort of understand what Barb meant when she said he was too fey: outside his role of Wolverine I always thought he looked rather soft.
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's not only you: I always said the pool circa 2005 was overall very interesting.

Regarding Jackman I think he was too associated with Wolverine at the time, otherwise he'd been good. That said I sort of understand what Barb meant when she said he was too fey: outside his role of Wolverine I always thought he looked rather soft.
    Moi?
    KbDznza.jpg
    --

EDIT: Tom Holland reiterates his strong desire to be the next James Bond. Now that the height restriction has been removed anyone can apply it seems. 'James Bond: The Young Years' anyone?

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/05/tom-holland-spider-man-james-bond/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    bondjames wrote: »
    Tom Holland reiterates his strong desire to be the next James Bond. Now that the height restriction has been removed anyone can apply it seems. 'James Bond: The Young Years' anyone?

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/05/tom-holland-spider-man-james-bond/

*Cue James Bond Jr Theme*

Realistically, Fassbender isn't going to happen. He'll be too old for the role by the time Craig steps down, and on top of that, he's voiced no desire to even play 007. And let's say even if he did a one-off Bond, what would be the point? Eon would find themselves back to square one immediately after. No, I say go with a younger Bond, who's more virile and closer to Connery's age when he appeared in Dr No. As much as we like to think that we're all talent scouts here on the forums, that's what a real casting director does. I'm sure someone like Nina Gold has got a few suggestions that we haven't even considered yet.
    As much as we like to think that we're all talent scouts here on the forums, that's what a real casting director does. I'm sure someone like Nina Gold has got a few suggestions that we haven't even considered yet.
    Do casting directors really make the decision on Bond, or does Babs Broccoli? My understanding is that she does.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't think a casting director is going to be responsible for definitively casting everyone in the production. People like MGW or Broccoli have some say in the process (this likely fluctuates from production to production and whatnot. Tarantino, for example, likely casts a lot of the actors on his own accord).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Indeed, this is the big reveal to me, too. X-Men 2 began filming in summer of 2002, well before DAD was even released. What's interesting is that even as late as March 2004, MI6 was reporting that Purvis and Wade were writing with Brosnan in mind: https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/event_purvis_wade_talk.php3?t=bond21&s=bond21
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4
    Luke Evans
    Richard Madden
    Theo James
    Nicholas Hoult
    Richard Armitage
    Dan Stevens
    Aiden Turner
    Henry Cavill
    Armitage could have been an excellent Bond. I just finished off Berlin Station (on EPIX, owned by MGM coincidentally) and he definitely has the goods. Unfortunately I believe he is already in his mid 40s and so is a bit past it.

Dan Stevens has potential, but I find his acting a bit theatrical and overplayed. Lacking in subtlety.

Not too keen on the rest I'm afraid.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    James, Madden and Hoult are extremely weak to take up on the Bond character. Madden alone was enough for me in Bastille Day to rule him out as a leading actor. Theo James... well... don't cast him opposite Lara Pulver. Otherwise, he'll get his arse handed to him by her too easily. Hoult is good at what he does, but Bond isn't one of them.

Luke Evans however would make a terrific Bond.