Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    James, Madden and Hoult are extremely weak to take up on the Bond character. Madden alone was enough for me in Bastille Day to rule him out as a leading actor. Theo James... well... don't cast him opposite Lara Pulver. Otherwise, he'll get his arse handed to him by her too easily. Hoult is good at what he does, but Bond isn't one of them.

Luke Evans however would make a terrific Bond.

I've mentioned Evans before, which got shot down quickly because he's gay in real life. Those who disagreed apparently don't understand what acting is.

He is nearly 40 though, and I figure they'll go for someone mid-30's when the time comes.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I think Evans' being gay is the one thing holding him back from getting the role, which @bondjames explained before why it wouldn't be a wise marketing angle due to many countries in the east not condoning that sort of thing. A terrible waste though since Evans is hell of an actor. I was watching him in High-Rise only two days ago, and I saw how the man conveniently oozed screen presence. Give him the right material to work with and he'll exceed your expectations.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @ClarkDevlin, what did you think of High-Rise? Really weird film don't you think?

Any further thoughts on Hiddleston? I thought he showed Bond potential in this film.
    I forgot to post it here, @bondjames, but High-Rise is the sort of film you either love or hate. I happened to love it, despite not getting all the occurrences on the screen. It really felt like watching a Stanley Kubrick film. Considering it was only made on $8 Million budget, Ben Wheatley is a master director for delivering such a quality film. Makes you wonder how other “talented” directors botch a whole movie project with $300 Million.

As for Hiddleston, I’m all for his casting as 007. He certainly won me over.
    Glad you liked it @ClarkDevlin. I only really got it on second viewing and now I love it. An artsy allegory on life, similar to how Mother! was (I thank that film for making me revisit it).
    There are some very disturbing scenes as well in it. But, that was one of the elements why the film was so great. It was a “heaven of hell.”
    @bondjames, maybe they'll go in this direction next, and give him hair. :))

PsWCnLK.jpg
    It's interesting that you mention Statham @ClarkDevlin, because during the earlier discussion about Evans, my mind wandered to Statham instead. After all, they were both in FF, and I found JS far more charismatic and memorable.

I've said this before, but I really would prefer a more suave chap next time out however, and with some height. Someone who can really wear those suits naturally like Connery did. It would make a welcome change for me from the incumbent, who I find Statham quite similar to.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I thought of our discussion about Statham and Adkins a while back, @bondjames when I found this image in one of my folders when we talked about how Adkins was a cheaper version of Statham but with hair. It was amusing, hence I attached some hair to Statham.

And I agree about Statham's character being far more charismatic than Evans' in the F&F franchise, which is why he's given the leadership when it comes to the Shaw familia.
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    As much as we like to think that we're all talent scouts here on the forums, that's what a real casting director does. I'm sure someone like Nina Gold has got a few suggestions that we haven't even considered yet.
    Do casting directors really make the decision on Bond, or does Babs Broccoli? My understanding is that she does.
    No, I didn't say "make the decision to cast Bond" but a casting director would obviously be there to make suggestions. Every Bond movie has had its own casting director. Seriously, you don't think Broccoli casts all the movies on her own, do you? Debbie McWilliams has been the stalwart casting director for Bond, I think probably since GE. Clearly, Babs Broccoli would have ultimate final say, I'm not suggesting otherwise, but that doesn't mean that she wouldn't have a list of suggestion given to her by the likes of Debbie McWilliams to mull over.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As much as we like to think that we're all talent scouts here on the forums, that's what a real casting director does. I'm sure someone like Nina Gold has got a few suggestions that we haven't even considered yet.
    Do casting directors really make the decision on Bond, or does Babs Broccoli? My understanding is that she does.
    No, I didn't say "make the decision to cast Bond" but a casting director would obviously be there to make suggestions. Every Bond movie has had its own casting director. Seriously, you don't think Broccoli casts all the movies on her own, do you? Debbie McWilliams has been the stalwart casting director for Bond, I think probably since GE. Clearly, Babs Broccoli would have ultimate final say, I'm not suggesting otherwise, but that doesn't mean that she wouldn't have a list of suggestion given to her by the likes of Debbie McWilliams to mull over.
    Ok, understood and I agree. That certainly makes sense. Although from what I've read, they just go through the list to do their due diligence, while normally having one chap in particular in mind from the outset.
    I think one has to make the distinction between the truth and good PR, @bondjames. None of the producers are/were ever going to come out and publicly state: "Well, we couldn't get such-and -such for the role so we had to go with option C and cast 'whathisface'." They're always going to make out that their final choice was always their first choice, despite various actors names coming to light afterwards that turned the role down before. But accepting the role is another thing entirely to drawing up a list of suitable candidates. At this stage, I'm merely focusing on the candidates, not the post-PR spin that'll come with the casting news.
    That's another good point @bondsum, and I agree. They will always 'stand by their man' and they have to really.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think one has to make the distinction between the truth and good PR, @bondjames. None of the producers are/were ever going to come out and publicly state: "Well, we couldn't get such-and -such for the role so we had to go with option C and cast 'whathisface'." They're always going to make out that their final choice was always their first choice, despite various actors names coming to light afterwards that turned the role down before. But accepting the role is another thing entirely to drawing up a list of suitable candidates. At this stage, I'm merely focusing on the candidates, not the post-PR spin that'll come with the casting news.

And even if they don't get their first choice it tells you luittle about the end result. After all, many classics became such due to the talent of their lead actor/actress whom often weren't the first choice at all.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tom Selleck was the first choice for Indiana Jones; the second pick didn’t turn out too bad.

Can’t imagine Selleck as Indie. He was better off in Magnum, P.I.
    Can’t imagine Selleck as Indie. He was better off in Magnum, P.I.

Strange as it may seem, I actually can picture him as Indy (thought quite different from Harrison). I thought he was great in LASSITER as well as HIGH ROAD TO CHINA.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is this for real, or did some nutcase make it up?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tabloid fodder
    talos7 wrote: »
    It's just Daily Mail click bait. Anyone photographed in a tux nowadays is a candidate for the feature's desk at that paper.
    I really should strap on my own tux, then!
    He has been mentioned in the past, including by an insider, as someone to consider. He looks the part, but has none of the screen presence or gravitas to carry the role. Most notably, his voice is just not right for Bond.
    It's just Daily Mail click bait. Anyone photographed in a tux nowadays is a candidate for the feature's desk at that paper.

I call this the tuxedo fallacy.
    This was predicted a few months back anyway.
    Upcoming BBC series McMafia may do for Norton what The Night Manager did for Hiddleston, namely make him a more serious contender. I'll be sure to check it out.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/779547/#Comment_779547
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well you haven't checked it out yet, have you ;-)
    Well you haven't checked it out yet, have you ;-)
    No. I think it's on New Year's Day on BBC. I won't be able to catch that so will either pick up the blu or catch it eventually on AMC. I don't think Norton has the goods however, because since my initial post on the subject I saw him in Flatliners. He's very fit and looks the part but lacks something. Reminds me a bit of Charlie Hunnam in that respect.
    Well I haven't seen him in anything but for me he doesn't have the Bond-aura. The radiation of confidence Bond needs.
    Well I haven't seen him in anything but for me he doesn't have the Bond-aura. The radiation of confidence Bond needs.
    Good point. No, he doesn't and that is an essential component of screen Bond. I agree.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,272
    From what I've seen him in, Norton sure is a good actor, but (as mentioned by many here), he does have a soft voice. Bond needs a commanding voice preferably.

Then again, many actors talk with a lower voice when acting in action roles…