Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited January 2018 Posts: 4,400
    bondjames wrote: »
    The thing that got me thinking was that there aren't a ton of British black actors who immediately come to mind for a leading role in any franchise. There are numerous black actors from the USA who can play leading roles.

However, in the UK we have a ton of white Oxbridge folk populating our films and TV. Oft-mentioned Bond candidates, Tom Hiddleston and James Norton are just two examples of this. Why hasn't the industry in Britain been more inclusive?
    Surely that's not true. Boyega, Kaluuya and Elba are all British. There's also Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ejiofor and Oyelowo who've all made strides. So I'd say there are actually quite a few British black actors who are making a name for themself in Hollywood.

They were exactly the names I was alluding to you.

It's the same actors. Maybe throw Adrian Lester and Paterson Joseph in. If you need a black British actor, you pick one of those and if they turn it down, you go to the next one.

I'm not saying that there should be a black James Bond - I'm just saying that the opportunity should exist for these type of roles to be given to a broader cross-section of actors.

It's perhaps to big a conversation point for a James Bond fan forum, but there is a bigger argument at play.

We should all be aware of a much wider range of actors of all races, but we're not. I seriously can't think of one Chinese actor from Britain in his 20/30s. You can't say the roles don't exist, because there is nothing saying that James Norton's role in McMafia for example has to be played by a white guy. The same goes for Hiddlestone in the Night Manager.

Why is the opportunity to be more diverse not being grabbed? I like to think that EON are savvy enough to be ahead of the curve on these matters and do something about it.

Maybe there is a larger commercial imperative I am ignorant about. Maybe the statistics show that no one wants a black James Bond or a Chinese action hero in a BBC show or Hollywood movie. Whatever the reason, I'm seriously bored of watching middle-aged white guys.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    The thing that got me thinking was that there aren't a ton of British black actors who immediately come to mind for a leading role in any franchise. There are numerous black actors from the USA who can play leading roles.

However, in the UK we have a ton of white Oxbridge folk populating our films and TV. Oft-mentioned Bond candidates, Tom Hiddleston and James Norton are just two examples of this. Why hasn't the industry in Britain been more inclusive?
    Surely that's not true. Boyega, Kaluuya and Elba are all British. There's also Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ejiofor and Oyelowo who've all made strides. So I'd say there are actually quite a few British black actors who are making a name for themself in Hollywood.

They were exactly the names I was alluding to you.

It's the same actors. Maybe throw Adrian Lester and Paterson Joseph in. If you need a black British actor, you pick one of those and if they turn it down, you go to the next one.

I'm not saying that there should be a black James Bond - I'm just saying that the opportunity should exist for these type of roles to be given to a broader cross-section of actors.

It's perhaps to big a conversation point for a James Bond fan forum, but there is a bigger argument at play.

We should all be aware of a much wider range of actors of all races, but we're not. I seriously can't think of one Chinese actor from Britain in his 20/30s. You can't say the roles don't exist, because there is nothing saying that James Norton's role in McMafia for example has to be played by a white guy. The same goes for Hiddlestone in the Night Manager.

Why is the opportunity to be more diverse not being grabbed? I like to think that EON are savvy enough to be ahead of the curve on these matters and do something about it.

Maybe there is a larger commercial imperative I am ignorant about. Maybe the statistics show that no one wants a black James Bond or a Chinese action hero in a BBC show or Hollywood movie. Whatever the reason, I'm seriously bored of watching middle-aged white guys.
    Ok, I get your point and you're right. However, that's nothing new imho. That's been the case ever since I've been alive. The only opportunities for a broader cross section of actors from various ethnic groups to have visibility is in shows and films that target those communities specifically.

Perhaps Black Panther may change that, if it gets box office traction. Let's see.

It's much more difficult for an actor from a minority group to 'break out' certainly, but when they do, they are usually exceptional or above average as a result.

I haven't seen McMafia but I'm quite gratified that Hiddleston was the lead in The Night Manager. I wouldn't change that for the world. Neither of these two actors are typecast (yet). Rather, they appear to be stretching their wings and getting exposure. That's what every actor should strive for, but of course it will be more difficult for someone from a minority background. Such is life.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Even though dench was great, M prob shouldn’t be a woman for the same reasons bond isn’t.
    I mean picture what fleming would say if he watched goldeneye.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wouldn’t mind a female M or Q. Because these are positions, not characters. Gardner’s novels had a female quartermaster nicknamed Q’ute by Bond, much to her annoyance.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I get what @Pirce2Daniel is saying, but shouldn't the answer be to nurture more black (British) talent and not just recast a traditionally white character, just because? Make a spy thriller with a lead character that just happens to be black, and if it's any good, I'll watch it, but I believe that Bond should remain white.
  • I get what @Pirce2Daniel is saying, but shouldn't the answer be to nurture more black (British) talent and not just recast a traditionally white character, just because? Make a spy thriller with a lead character that just happens to be black, and if it's any good, I'll watch it, but I believe that Bond should remain white.

But it's a "fictional" character. James Bond isn't real.

Regardless whether he has traditionally been played by white people. I mean, I saw a production of Hamlet where the actor was black.

Daniel Craig, Timothy Dalton and Roger Moore do not lookalike. Yet they played the same character. One of the big things they have in common is the colour of their skin. Are we saying that being white is a minimum requirement for being considered as Bond?

I think audiences are sophisticated enough to appreciate that different actors with different faces can play the same part. If they can get over Roger Moore miraculously looking like Timothy Dalton, then surely they can get over Daniel Craig turning into a black man.

But I should underscore my point, more ethnic talent should be considered for roles that historically go to white people, especially in Britain. I feel there is a lot of great talent going unnurtured here.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Just to put my two cents in on this discussion. There's no doubt that there is a lot of ethnic talent that is going unnurtured and unrecognized. However, I'd argue that this is the case with 'white talent' as well. So ultimately, I'm not one for affirmative action but agree that everyone should get a fair shot.

The movie business is notoriously competitive, and studios go for what has worked and what makes money (why do we think that a significantly 'older' looking Craig is reportedly back for B25?). Will Smith was a big moneymaker for studios in the past and he got great roles as a result. When his star waned, the roles dried up. The same goes for Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes. So ultimately it comes down to putting butts in seats and being able to guarantee that.

RE: Bond - he was imagined as a white character by his author. I personally believe that's how he should remain, but that shouldn't stop black actors auditioning for the part. If someone is off the charts, then he should be given serious consideration.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 2,896
    As the James Bond Memes blog has pointed out, if the goal of having a non-White actor play Bond is to reflect the modern diversity of Britain, then casting a British Asian (i.e. South Asian) actor would fulfill that purpose better than an Afro-British one, since there's a higher population of British Asians. Yet the media is fixated on Idris Elba and never mentions Asians. Could this be...racism?
    Revelator wrote: »
    As the James Bond Memes blog has pointed out, if the goal of having a non-White actor play Bond is to reflect the modern diversity of Britain, then casting a British Asian (i.e. South Asian) actor would fulfill that purpose better than an Afro-British one, since there's a higher population of British Asians. Yet the media is fixated on Idris Elba and never mentions Asians. Could this be...racism?
    I was going to point that out, as well. Good catch!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    To be clear Broccoli never indicated that changing Bonds race/ethnicity or gender was being considered; she gave a polite, well thought out , PC response to a hypothetical.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,730
    Why would a brown dude be named James Bond unless it was a code name ofcoarse
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Why would a brown dude be named James Bond unless it was a code name ofcoarse

It always has been.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    talos7 wrote: »
    To be clear Broccoli never indicated that changing Bonds race/ethnicity or gender was being considered; she gave a polite, well thought out , PC response to a hypothetical.

Correct, but some news outlets still managed to turn it into a clickbait headline and then ran with it.
    I'm afraid this will happen every couple of weeks now until actor nr. (00)7 is finally confirmed
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837
    barryt007 wrote: »
    But, why do you insist on specifically a black actor to play Bond? Is that some kind of an agenda-driven "change" you're after? Now, don't get me wrong, I love Idris Elba, but he's no Bond. For a black Bond, there are far more suitable candidates.

We're not going down this route again are we ? whats wrong with a white Bond as Fleming intended ?

Stop pissing around with Fleming's character people ffs !!

This would be a fine argument if all we'd gotten for the last 50 years was a pure undiluted take on Fleming's character. As it stands film Bond is pretty much its own thing. Why is changing Bond's race a step too far but not his whole personality or the tone/content of the stories he's in? Fleming didn't even like Sean Connery at first.

For me changing his skin colour is at this point no different to changing his hair colour. I'm not saying doing it for the sake of it (although I do kind of hope it happens soon just so it's out of the way and we can all stop arguing and learn to live with it), but I don't see why minority actors shouldn't be allowed to audition. If we were still in the 1960s it wouldn't work but there's nothing about the modern James Bond that suggests he has to be white.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Correct, but some news outlets still managed to turn it into a clickbait headline and then ran with it.
    I'm afraid this will happen every couple of weeks now until actor nr. (00)7 is finally confirmed
    We know that, of course. But, you see, some people just can't resist.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 2,896
    Why would a brown dude be named James Bond unless it was a code name of course

Because whiteness is no longer synonymous with Britishness, and the core attributes of Bond's identity are maleness and Britishness. The more considerable objection to having a non-white Bond is that the filmmakers would be less able to stress his Scottish/Swiss ancestry, since those nations are less diverse than England. But on the other hand, Bond was continually referred to as English in every Bond novel up to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. So even in Fleming's books Bond's identity was up for revision.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Because whiteness is no longer synonymous with Britishness, and the core attributes of Bond's identity are maleness and Britishness. The more considerable objection to having a non-white Bond is that the filmmakers would be less able to stress his Scottish/Swiss ancestry, since those nations are less diverse than England. But on the other hand, Bond was continually referred to as English in every Bond novel up to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. So even in Fleming's books Bond's identity was up for revision.

So a gay Bond is no problem then, as long as he is male and British?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    00Agent wrote: »
    We know that, of course. But, you see, some people just can't resist.

Everybody needs a Hobby.

Very well said. It's not like the Scottish/Swiss thing has ever even mattered. It was a throwaway line in the YOLT obituary which, as you mentioned, was a bit of a retcon itself.

So a gay Bond is no problem then, as long as he is male and British?

I'd say that his sexuality is another core trait that @Revelator forgot to mention. Changing his race nowadays is just changing his appearance again. Wouldn't be a fundamental change like his nationality or sexuality.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I get what @Pirce2Daniel is saying, but shouldn't the answer be to nurture more black (British) talent and not just recast a traditionally white character, just because? Make a spy thriller with a lead character that just happens to be black, and if it's any good, I'll watch it, but I believe that Bond should remain white.

Since when? This news is too much, I need to have a sit down.
    Regardless whether he has traditionally been played by white people. I mean, I saw a production of Hamlet where the actor was black.

As far as I care, Hamlet could be played by a muppet.
    Daniel Craig, Timothy Dalton and Roger Moore do not lookalike. Yet they played the same character. One of the big things they have in common is the colour of their skin. Are we saying that being white is a minimum requirement for being considered as Bond?

It's more of an unwritten rule, really. Everyone knows that Bond is white, it doesn't really need to be said.
    I think audiences are sophisticated enough to appreciate that different actors with different faces can play the same part. If they can get over Roger Moore miraculously looking like Timothy Dalton, then surely they can get over Daniel Craig turning into a black man.

I hope his last words will be better than "Carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice".
    But I should underscore my point, more ethnic talent should be considered for roles that historically go to white people, especially in Britain. I feel there is a lot of great talent going unnurtured here.

Ethnic, you mean black, right? I mean, the press have a raging hard on for the first black Bond, and only black Bond. How come this diversity push begins and end with black actors?

Since when? This news is too much, I need to have a sit down.

As far as I care, Hamlet could be played by a muppet.

It's more of an unwritten rule, really. Everyone knows that Bond is white, it doesn't really need to be said.

I hope his last words will be better than "Carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice".

Ethnic, you mean black, right? I mean, the press have a raging hard on for the first black Bond, and only black Bond. How come this diversity drive begins and end with black actors?
    Well said, sir. =D>
    I think the reason a black actor is most often suggested is there's less cultural preconceptions/misconceptions in comparison to say, an Asian actor. We're the whitest of the non white groups despite our skin color being the darkest ;) But personally I don't see any reason why he couldn't be played by an actor of south or east Asian descent.

It's only an "unwritten rule" because it hasn't happened yet. There's no reason the modern James Bond couldn't be played by a non white actor. Him being white isn't an important part of the identity of the character in 2018. A black guy chilling at Blades in the 1950s/60s? Pretty silly. But nowadays it would really just be changing his appearance, something they've done many times before. If Daniel Craig was black or brown it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to his movies. The only hurdle is the Scottish/Swiss background but really, who cares about that? We're fine with them butchering most of the books, turning the man himself into a quip spewing playboy, sending him off into space and making his arch enemy his long lost foster brother, but that little line from YOLT about his mum being Swiss and his dad being Scottish (which kind of goes against how he's portrayed as distinctly English early on anyway) is one bit of Fleming that's sacred?

I think what it comes down to is a lot of white people don't want to lose a white hero. Which is a perfectly valid reason, but I wish people would be more open about that instead of pretending to care about what Fleming would have wanted and all the rest of it. Because lets be honest, how many actual Fleming purists are there on here? We all love most of the films and can accept all the Bond actors so far, with their drastically different looks and versions of the character (you could even make a case for Craig and Dalton being very far from Fleming in a lot of ways) in stories that frequently stray ridiculously far from the source material (MR anyone?), but for some reason changing his skin color is a step too far?

Basically, Bond should be white because that's how Fleming wrote him? Fair enough, but by that logic you should hate most of the film series so far.

I've always said I'm against them doing it for the sake of it, but part of me does hope the next actor isn't white. Because I'm sure it'll happen eventually, and at least then it'll be out the way with and we can all stop arguing and live with it (or abandon the series in the case of some people, apparently).
  • I think what it comes down to is a lot of white people don't want to lose a white hero. Which is a perfectly valid reason, but I wish people would be more open about that instead of pretending to care about what Fleming would have wanted and all the rest of it. Because lets be honest, how many actual Fleming purists are there on here? We all love most of the films and can accept all the Bond actors so far, with their drastically different looks and versions of the character (you could even make a case for Craig and Dalton being very far from Fleming in a lot of ways) in stories that frequently stray ridiculously far from the source material (MR anyone?), but for some reason changing his skin color is a step too far?

Basically, Bond should be white because that's how Fleming wrote him? Fair enough, but by that logic you should hate most of the film series so far.

Unfortunately, I think this is really the key point at hand here.

However, I believe that despite Bond's creator being a deeply conservative bloke and the fan-base generally being traditionalists; Bond fans are generally an accepting and considerate bunch. They've (mostly) accepted a female M and a black Moneypenny and Leiter.

If there was ever a non-white actor cast and a huge Ghostbusters-esque backlash, it wouldn't come from the fan-base on these type of forums.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    There is something about the character of James Bond that represents old school. Elitism. Colonialism. Arrogance. Flair. Also independence and servitude to the monarchy. There's also his approach towards women.

While there is no logical reason why a non-white actor couldn't play this part, I personally find that it is most credible and easy to appreciate if these attributes and characteristics are portrayed by a white actor. Some of that may be due to familiarity with the way it has been done for 50+ years in my favourite franchise, and some of it may be due to my own preconceived notions. I'm not sure.

I realize that EON seems intent to change the character with the times so anything is possible in the future. In all honesty I still see the Daniel Craig reboot gritty short action man grim portrayal as a one off, and hope that they get back to a more traditional template once he's gone. I guess what I'm saying is that ultimately I'd prefer if they keep him white and try to take him back to the refined character that I've known and grown up with, even if that is increasingly an anomaly in today's day and age. It's like comfort food for me, even if it doesn't reflect today's Britain.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s not limited to Bond; John Shaft is an iconic movie character. How accepting would fans of this series be if an Asian lesbian was cast in the role? Would those who would not accept it be labeled “racist “ or “homophobic? Or would their preference be respected?
    Traditional does not mean hateful.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    87wQl.gif
  • talos7 wrote: »
    It’s not limited to Bond; John Shaft is an iconic movie character. How accepting would fans of this series be if an Asian lesbian was cast in the role? Would those who would not accept it be labeled “racist “ or “homophobic? Or would their preference be respected?
    Traditional does not mean hateful.

In many ways, you are right in this respect.

However, to my knowledge, there is not a long history of recasting the part of Shaft. The Bond role is recast approximately every 10 years. It's become part of the cultural dialogue of "who will be the next James Bond", much like the casting of Doctor Who. Furthermore, each of the actors who have played the role have mostly looked different and bought different interpretations to the part. There is a lot of established room to reinterpret the Bond character. For example, there is light and day between Craig and Moore's respective turns.

In any regard, @talos7 your brining up of Shaft as a reference point is very telling. The first black character you can think of that is entrenched in our cultural purview is someone who was big in the 1970s and had an aborted attempt at a reboot 17 years ago.

This somewhat cements my point further; there just hasn't been enough roles for very capable non-white actors in big-tentpole Hollywood ventures. I hope Black Panther represents a sea-change this year (the trailers of which look very 007-inspired)
    Murdock wrote: »
    87wQl.gif
    Exactly. It's tiresome to even talk about this miserable subject, let alone trying to justify it with thousands of paragraphs that enormously repeats the same words only in variably different order for each.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Exactly. It's tiresome to even talk about this miserable subject, let alone trying to justify it with thousands of paragraphs that enormously repeats the same words only in variably different order for each.

Agreed. As Blofeld would say. "Finish it."
    @thelivingroyale
    I’m afraid not for me. I love what fleming wrote down, I don’t think M should be a woman, and I definitely don’t think Bond should be anything but a straight white male. I don’t give a shit about losing a white hero, I’m not white myself, but I love the character and don’t want to see it butchered. Continuing on, I’m not much of a fan of Daniel Craig as bond. He’s had two really amazing films and he’s a good actor but he isn’t really bond enough. Also you have to look at the reason they want a black bond. It’s not because Elba is particularly bond like but really it’s just affirmative action. Why make bond a woman?- it’s just affirmative action. Why make bond gay- same answer. So that’s a shitty reason.