Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    From what I've seen him in, Norton sure is a good actor,

So is Dustin Hoffman. Still nobody wants him as Bond. Except himself, of course.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

So is Dustin Hoffman. Still nobody wants him as Bond. Except himself, of course.
    Al Pacino should be cast in Old Man Bond, next.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

My name is Bond. ...HOOYAAH... James Bond.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,295

My name is Bond. ...HOOYAAH... James Bond.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Theresa May humiliates herself. I suppose she would say this though, being a politican. I wasn't even aware that Dr. Who is now a woman.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/leading-lady-theresa-may-calls-for-woman-to-play-james-bond
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am watching the Agatha Christie film adaptation of Crooked House 2017 Jeremy Irons son stars, out of all the recent actors I have seen around the early thirty mark Maximillion Irons is my first choice as the next Bond this guy can act and has great subtlety.

mistero_a_crooked_house_max_irons_jpg_351x0_crop_q85.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbwF6UDTDyIcjvtgo6koVDSf8C3tnhH5VxmNVAglphMuIRxF76
    I had a mentioned him a few months back @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Not bad, although I have to see him in more films before coming to a firm conclusion.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,394
    bondjames wrote: »
    I had a mentioned him a few months back @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Not bad, although I have to see him in more films before coming to a firm conclusion.

I have seen him in films he has been in and not really thought of him as Bond, though in Crooked House in some of the things Max does I definitely see a potential Bond, only 32 so time to age a bit more if needed and 6ft 2 which I think is important for Bond.

I have seen him in films he has been in and not really thought of him as Bond, though in Crooked House in some of the things Max does I definitely see a potential Bond, only 32 so time to age a bit more if needed and 6ft 2 which I think is important for Bond.
    I very much agree on the height and have mentioned that attribute many times here. I wasn't too keen on the show but he did stand out positively.
    I am watching the Agatha Christie film adaptation of Crooked House 2017 Jeremy Irons son stars, out of all the recent actors I have seen around the early thirty mark Maximillion Irons is my first choice as the next Bond this guy can act and has great subtlety.

A period piece, this Crooked House adaption?

I very much agree on the height and have mentioned that attribute many times here. I wasn't too keen on the show but he did stand out positively.

Crooked House is one of the few Christie novels I am unfamiliar with so the end was a shock, the acting was ok though the editing was poor and the director did not know how to frame a shot.

Yeah set in the early fifties.

Crooked House is one of the few Christie novels I am unfamiliar with so the end was a shock, the acting was ok though the editing was poor and the director did not know how to frame a shot.

Sounds like something to check out. Seen a lot of Christie adaptations over the years, and most of them have been good.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,394

Sounds like something to check out. Seen a lot of Christie adaptations over the years, and most of them have been good.

Apparently it's the first ever film adaption of Crooked House I'll watch it again because of how it ended, I am a big fan of Poirot and the Walter Huston version of And then there were none from 1945 thats one of my favourite films.

Apparently it's the first ever film adaption of Crooked House I'll watch it again because of how it ended, I am a big fan of Poirot and the Walter Huston version of And then there were none from 1945 thats one of my favourite films.

Interesting! As with And Then There Were None, this will be a adaptation of a story I'm unfamiliar with. Don't know when it's available here, though.

Interesting! As with And Then There Were None, this will be a adaptation of a story I'm unfamiliar with. Don't know when it's available here, though.

It's an old film though incredibly atmospheric a masterpiece of its time IMO

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/and_then_there_were_none/
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,295

It's an old film though incredibly atmospheric a masterpiece of its time IMO

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/and_then_there_were_none/

I will add that to my must-watch list!

I'm not a fan of Christie but Crooked House is one of her better/best novels. More a twisted psychological thriller than a whodunit.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'm not a fan of Christie but Crooked House is one of her better/best novels. More a twisted psychological thriller than a whodunit.

Only read a few selected Christie titles – all whodunit's. Might have to find the novel, as well!
  • dbowen007dbowen007 Virginia, United States
    I've always thought Dan Stevens would make an excellent Bond, particularly after his work in The Guest. I certainly fancy him taking over the role after Craig, as opposed to Hiddleston. I just believe Stevens has the right bit of menace about him that Hiddleston lacks.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    dbowen007 wrote: »
    I've always thought Dan Stevens would make an excellent Bond, particularly after his work in The Guest. I certainly fancy him taking over the role after Craig, as opposed to Hiddleston. I just believe Stevens has the right bit of menace about him that Hiddleston lacks.

He is still my Top choice as well. I agree he can be menacing when needed but he has lots of Charisma and a good sense of Humor. After Craig i really want to see the suave one liner Humor brought back in a proper way and Stevens could deliver that.
    Stevens has potential. Does anyone know if he has been tested or considered for this role? My only concern with him is I'm not sure if he can deliver that edgy killer look that Bond must have without overplaying it. There's something a bit 'nice' (for lack of a better word) about his face.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think Aidan Turner also has potential as well. The biggest legitimate criticism of him that I can see circulating at the moment is that he is too young looking and skinny to be Bond. I think that by the time they cast the next Bond in a few years, he will fit the part even more so.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Stevens has potential. Does anyone know if he has been tested or considered for this role? My only concern with him is I'm not sure if he can deliver that edgy killer look that Bond must have without overplaying it. There's something a bit 'nice' (for lack of a better word) about his face.

There is nothing official about him being tested (and I don't believe anyone has been tested the last couple years) but i have Seen many movies of Stevens and he is good at playing dark characters and can have a very serious 'he means business' look about him, definitly more so than Hiddles, which is his biggest weakness imo. I like Hiddles but i am Not sure he could sell the cold blooded murder aspect, which Dan easily could judging from the movies i saw.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    00Agent wrote: »

There is nothing official about him being tested (and I don't believe anyone has been tested the last couple years) but i have Seen many movies of Stevens and he is good at playing dark characters and can have a very serious 'he means business' look about him, definitly more so than Hiddles, which is his biggest weakness imo. I like Hiddles but i am Not sure he could sell the cold blooded murder aspect, which Dan easily could judging from the movies i saw.
    I perhaps have to see more of his work then. I haven't watched The Guest but have seen some clips online. As mentioned, I see a tendency to have to overdo it in order to demonstrate menace and that killer look Bond must have.

Hiddleston is far more refined than what we have now, but I have seen him deliver that look which is required imho. He can be subtle about it while being effective, like Moore was. His problem is his off screen image and his somewhat light frame. He would need to toughen both up.
    I think Aidan Turner also has potential as well. The biggest legitimate criticism of him that I can see circulating at the moment is that he is too young looking and skinny to be Bond. I think that by the time they cast the next Bond in a few years, he will fit the part even more so.
    As I've noted before, from what I've seen of him in that Christie adaptation there is potential. I'd have to see him in something else other than a period piece to form a better opinion.
  • The recent news story that Barbara Broccoli would cast a black actor to play James Bond got me thinking. I know the topic has been spoken about to death and I'm not interested in going over it again, mainly as you'll likely never be able to change the either side's mind.

The thing that got me thinking was that there aren't a ton of British black actors who immediately come to mind for a leading role in any franchise. There are numerous black actors from the USA who can play leading roles.

However, in the UK we have a ton of white Oxbridge folk populating our films and TV. Oft-mentioned Bond candidates, Tom Hiddleston and James Norton are just two examples of this. Why hasn't the industry in Britain been more inclusive?

If there is a black role for a black actor, it tends to be the same people mentioned for it. Surely there is are talented black actors or actresses just desperate for the same opportunity that is constantly afforded to folk like James Norton?

I did some digging on the net and found an actor who looks very appropriate for the Bond role called Sope Dirisu. Now, I haven't seen him in anything but he's played Coriolanus at the RSC and Muhammed Ali in an acclaimed play where he got great reviews.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/one-night-in-miami-donmar-warehouse-review-hard-hitting-ali-trib/

He has a look of a young Idris to me. Personally, I want someone like Sope to play Bond next. I'm tired of the conventional and open up to the new.

Sope-Dirisu-Cassius-Clay-in-One-Night-in-Miami...jpg
    Sope_Dirisu.png
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    But, why do you insist on specifically a black actor to play Bond? Is that some kind of an agenda-driven "change" you're after? Now, don't get me wrong, I love Idris Elba, but he's no Bond. For a black Bond, there are far more suitable candidates.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    But, why do you insist on specifically a black actor to play Bond? Is that some kind of an agenda-driven "change" you're after? Now, don't get me wrong, I love Idris Elba, but he's no Bond. For a black Bond, there are far more suitable candidates.

We're not going down this route again are we ? whats wrong with a white Bond as Fleming intended ?

Stop pissing around with Fleming's character people ffs !!

barryt007 wrote: »

We're not going down this route again are we ? whats wrong with a white Bond as Fleming intended ?

I'm with you, there, @barryt007. I was only speaking rather hypothetically.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I'm with you, there, @barryt007. I was only speaking rather hypothetically.

Oh I wasn't aiming that mini rant at you,me olde chum ! ;)

The thing that got me thinking was that there aren't a ton of British black actors who immediately come to mind for a leading role in any franchise. There are numerous black actors from the USA who can play leading roles.

However, in the UK we have a ton of white Oxbridge folk populating our films and TV. Oft-mentioned Bond candidates, Tom Hiddleston and James Norton are just two examples of this. Why hasn't the industry in Britain been more inclusive?
    Surely that's not true. Boyega, Kaluuya and Elba are all British. There's also Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ejiofor and Oyelowo who've all made strides. So I'd say there are actually quite a few British black actors who are making a name for themself in Hollywood.