Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited November 2017 Posts: 14,839
    bondsum wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Aidan's a TV actor which limited presence. He'll never be Bond hopefully. With a beard he also looks a tad Arab as well and very unbondian.
    Moore and Brosnan were “TV actors”, Lazenby was a model and I’m sure he would shave fore the role.
    Looks Arab? Great observation; come to think of it , a PTS where he is undercover, bearded, in a middle eastern country that concludes with him coming out of a bathroom in a posh hotel, clean shaven, to an awaiting beauty with two glasses of champagne, would be a great introduction.

But Moore and Brosnan have movie star screen presence and charisma. Aiden doesn't.

Thanks. I thought it was a good observation too. Arab looking rules him out as well.
    If anything, Roger Moore lacked big screen movie star presence, hence why he gravitated towards the small screen after a failed attempt at making it big in Hollywood. His performance opposite Lana Turner in the 1956 movie “Diane” was likened by Time magazine to “a lump of English roast beef.” Let's also not forget, it wasn't until Moore was into his forties that he gained big screen notoriety, and yet it was only because of his Bond casting in the first place, did that ever happen. Otherwise, I honestly don't think Sir Roger would've successfully broken into movies, despite him having been a popular TV star. Brosnan was pretty much in the same boat. His Bond casting was what turned Brosnan from a B-list movie actor, who was mostly consigned to dreadful TV roles, into a bonafide movie star. In both cases, their movie careers were floundering, and stuck in first gear, and it took Bond to launch them properly. The same thing could equally be said of Turner, if he was get the gig.

What's interesting about Brosnan is that he built his pre Bond career on Bond, at least from TLD. I don't think a potential Bond actor could do it and get away with it nowadays.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,295
    What about this guy? He'd do a cracking job if given the chance... again!

source.gif

From what film is that?
    I suspect you're right @Ludovico. I was one of the few that paid good money to see Brosnan in The Fourth Protocol in the cinema back in 87, just to see how he measured up as the possibly contender for the role of Bond, having narrowly lost out to Dalton due to his TV contract debacle. It would be the first and last time I'd get to see Brosnan in a proper movie until GoldenEye came out. His career really nosedived after the lukewarm reception of T4P. I thought he was actually quite good in it, though maybe a bit too young to play Bond. But Hollywood clearly had other ideas with his casting. I tried watching some of his other TV-made movies, but they were all dreadful. It took me a while to realise that I found him rather lightweight in most of his roles up until GE.

source.gif

From what film is that?

It's "Return of the Pink Panther". Love those films!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

source.gif

From what film is that?

Only seen the first one. Have to check out the rest of the series at some point!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333

source.gif

From what film is that?

Only seen the first one. Have to check out the rest of the series at some point!

Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, and Return of the Pink Panther are the best ones out of the Clouseau movies IMO. Strangely after "Returns", Peter Sellers altered his Clouseau voice to sound more like Spike Milligan doing a lazy impersonation, which has always grated with me. It's definitely more nasally later on.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

source.gif

From what film is that?

Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, and Return of the Pink Panther are the best ones out of the Clouseau movies IMO. Strangely after "Returns", Peter Sellers altered his Clouseau voice to sound more like Spike Milligan doing a lazy impersonation, which has always grated with me. It's definitely more nasally later on.

Can't argue with those three choices. STRIKES AGAIN, and REVENGE were ok. TRAIL was an unashamed cash-grab. The only good I have to say about CURSE and SON are that I do like the opening themes to both films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I know most here are against a cgi Connery or whoever in future films, but what if they would cast one of those shape-shifting lizard people as Bond? That would be really neat.

source.gif

From what film is that?

Can't argue with those three choices. STRIKES AGAIN, and REVENGE were ok. TRAIL was an unashamed cash-grab. The only good I have to say about CURSE and SON are that I do like the opening themes to both films.

Didn't know there were that many in the series! Not counting the remakes, I've only heard of the original, 'A Shot in The Dark', 'The Return of the Pink Panther' and 'The Pink Panther Strikes Again'.

...and the character of course.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

source.gif

From what film is that?

Didn't know there were that many in the series! Not counting the remakes, I've only heard of the original, 'A Shot in The Dark', 'The Return of the Pink Panther' and 'The Pink Panther Strikes Again'.

There were additionally two without Clouseau as a whole. One being Curse of The Pink Panther and the other being The Son of The Pink Panther. Both were critically panned.

source.gif

From what film is that?

There were additionally two without Clouseau as a whole. One being Curse of The Pink Panther and the other being The Son of The Pink Panther. Both were critically panned.

Not worth the time these two, I gather?

source.gif

From what film is that?

Only if you love Roger Moore, @Torgeirtrap. He replaces Sellers as Clouseau in Curse, but more so as a minor character rather than major.

source.gif

From what film is that?

Only if you love Roger Moore, @Torgeirtrap. He replaces Sellers as Clouseau in Curse, but more so as a minor character rather than major.

Sold – I'll watch anything with Roger Moore! Curse had a good cast too, it seems.

source.gif

From what film is that?

Sold – I'll watch anything with Roger Moore! Curse had a good cast too, it seems.
    Funnily enough, @Torgeirtrap, it was only Moore's scenes that are good in the film.

I'm sure you know Roberto Benigni, right? He plays Clouseau's illegitimate son who's exactly like him in Son of The Pink Panther. I personally like Benigni, so I watched it for him. :)
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Aidan's a TV actor which limited presence. He'll never be Bond hopefully. With a beard he also looks a tad Arab as well and very unbondian.
    Moore and Brosnan were “TV actors”, Lazenby was a model and I’m sure he would shave fore the role.
    Looks Arab? Great observation; come to think of it , a PTS where he is undercover, bearded, in a middle eastern country that concludes with him coming out of a bathroom in a posh hotel, clean shaven, to an awaiting beauty with two glasses of champagne, would be a great introduction.

But Moore and Brosnan have movie star screen presence and charisma. Aiden doesn't.

Thanks. I thought it was a good observation too. Arab looking rules him out as well.
    If anything, Roger Moore lacked big screen movie star presence, hence why he gravitated towards the small screen after a failed attempt at making it big in Hollywood. His performance opposite Lana Turner in the 1956 movie “Diane” was likened by Time magazine to “a lump of English roast beef.” Let's also not forget, it wasn't until Moore was into his forties that he gained big screen notoriety, and yet it was only because of his Bond casting in the first place, did that ever happen. Otherwise, I honestly don't think Sir Roger would've successfully broken into movies, despite him having been a popular TV star. Brosnan was pretty much in the same boat. His Bond casting was what turned Brosnan from a B-list movie actor, who was mostly consigned to dreadful TV roles, into a bonafide movie star. In both cases, their movie careers were floundering, and stuck in first gear, and it took Bond to launch them properly. The same thing could equally be said of Turner, if he was get the gig.

What's interesting about Brosnan is that he built his pre Bond career on Bond, at least from TLD. I don't think a potential Bond actor could do it and get away with it nowadays.

Yeah when GE was announced I had heard of him, but only because of the Bond connection. To be fair though he's never shied away from admitting that Bond made him. One of the things I like about him in interviews is that he always seems grateful for how it made his career.

That's interesting though @Ludovico because you're right, I can't really imagine anyone doing that today. I guess the closest thing I can think of is Elba, Turner, Hiddleston enjoying the free press it's given them but all of them have successful careers in their own right. With Brosnan it really was just the Bond connection. And Remington Steel I guess, but I get the sense that was only really popular in America.

I should watch The Fourth Protocol. I'm a big fan of Brosnan as Bond but I always thought he got it at the right time, from the little snippets and photos I've seen he seemed too baby faced and lightweight back in 87. Maybe TFP will change my opinion there (although I don't think anyone would have been a better choice than Dalton).

source.gif

From what film is that?

Funnily enough, @Torgeirtrap, it was only Moore's scenes that are good in the film.

I'm sure you know Roberto Benigni, right? He plays Clouseau's illegitimate son who's exactly like him in Son of The Pink Panther. I personally like Benigni, so I watched it for him. :)

Yet to see a film where Roger Moore isn't the highlight!

Roberto Benigni is a great actor! Long time since I've seen him in anything, though. Might give Son of The Pink Panther a watch if I find it. :-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

source.gif

From what film is that?

Yes, the last few ('Trail of....', 'Curse of....', and 'Son of....') are the sharp decline of the series.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I may be one of the very few in the actual fandom, but I rather like the Steve Martin films.
    I don't remember much about those two.
    The Hamburger gag is hilarious! :))
    Anyways, back on topic, whenever I read Christopher Wood's novelization of The Spy Who Loved Me, it certainly isn't Roger Moore who I see in the shoes of Bond. Seeing as the character in the book was translated to the persona of Fleming's original (and quite remarkably at that, as if Fleming himself wrote it!), and having the story take place in the seventies, I couldn't help but see Christopher Plummer as Bond, filtered through the image and scenes of him I had in mind from Return of The Pink Panther. There are many identical scenes that parallel between Spy and Return, plus adding to that both use almost the same locations for their adventures, it's as if Spy was in a way influenced by the Pink Panther movie containing Plummer's scenes. Plummer himself plays a rather rugged handsome swaggering character in the film unlike Roger Moore's charming and gentlemanly swashbuckler. And his British English accent is unmistakably well done.

O9McRXY.jpg
    pMcVKlU.jpg
    qNtyLMd.jpg
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yeah when GE was announced I had heard of him, but only because of the Bond connection. To be fair though he's never shied away from admitting that Bond made him. One of the things I like about him in interviews is that he always seems grateful for how it made his career.

That's interesting though @Ludovico because you're right, I can't really imagine anyone doing that today. I guess the closest thing I can think of is Elba, Turner, Hiddleston enjoying the free press it's given them but all of them have successful careers in their own right. With Brosnan it really was just the Bond connection. And Remington Steel I guess, but I get the sense that was only really popular in America.

I should watch The Fourth Protocol. I'm a big fan of Brosnan as Bond but I always thought he got it at the right time, from the little snippets and photos I've seen he seemed too baby faced and lightweight back in 87. Maybe TFP will change my opinion there (although I don't think anyone would have been a better choice than Dalton).

I think the difference between Brosnan and Elba, Turner and others is that he was so serious a contender that he had been practically cast in the role only to lose it. So he could afford reminding the public about it. When that Nip/Tuck guy and Idris Elba started self promoting they passed (rightly) as arrogant.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I think the difference between Brosnan and Elba is that Elba is a black actor wanting to portray a white character. Brosnan on the other hand fit the bill.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Anyways, back on topic, whenever I read Christopher Wood's novelization of The Spy Who Loved Me, it certainly isn't Roger Moore who I see in the shoes of Bond. Seeing as the character in the book was translated to the persona of Fleming's original (and quite remarkably at that, as if Fleming himself wrote it!), and having the story take place in the seventies, I couldn't help but see Christopher Plummer as Bond, filtered through the image and scenes of him I had in mind from Return of The Pink Panther. There are many identical scenes that parallel between Spy and Return, plus adding to that both use almost the same locations for their adventures, it's as if Spy was in a way influenced by the Pink Panther movie containing Plummer's scenes. Plummer himself plays a rather rugged handsome swaggering character in the film unlike Roger Moore's charming and gentlemanly swashbuckler. And his British English accent is unmistakably well done.

O9McRXY.jpg
    pMcVKlU.jpg
    qNtyLMd.jpg
    I've always felt Plummer could have made an excellent Bond in his prime. The same goes for Richard Burton.
    I'd actually sacrifice a bored Connery in YOLT and DAF, Lazenby and Moore's first two for Christopher Plummer as Bond in those four entries. An OHMSS with Plummer would've been fantastic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    He has a dark edge to him while still being naturally suave and stylish, & is a very compelling actor, even today at 87.

Coincidentally, he starred in a 60's war film entitled Triple Cross along with Yul Brynner, Claudine Auger and Gert Frobe - directed by Terence Young. I saw it years back and recall enjoying it.
    It's been years since I've seen his The High Commissioner film, co-starring with Rod Taylor, a political spy thriller released in 1968. He had Bondian moments in it as far as I can remember. Although, I haven't purchased a copy of it on DVD yet. Last I heard, Kino Lober was working on a BluRay version.
    I think the difference between Brosnan and Elba is that Elba is a black actor wanting to portray a white character. Brosnan on the other hand fit the bill.

That too, but boasting like he did certainly didn't make him come off as very professional.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well actors just don't seem to be very, how do I say that, charismatic anymore. Plummer could've been very much Bond if you ask me, and the likes of him, Connery, Moore, Caine, or even McQueen, are just not matched by the current 30-ish generation.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I'd actually sacrifice a bored Connery in YOLT and DAF, Lazenby and Moore's first two for Christopher Plummer as Bond in those four entries. An OHMSS with Plummer would've been fantastic.
    You might, but the problem still remains that the producers didn't want a big name in the role of Bond. Christopher Plummer, at this stage of his career, was still universally known as Mr Von Trapp from the colossally successful The Sound of Music. No way would Cubby & Harry have entertained the idea of casting Plummer in the lead role. I dare say, the cinema-going public would have found it a hard act to swallow, too, with Mr Von Trapp as the new Bond back in 67 or 69. Even to this day, Roger Moore is still the biggest name that's ever been cast in the role, despite being an abject failure at the BO prior to his casting. I'm sure that had Moore been a huge BO star, then the producers wouldn't have even considered him for the role. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that the producers wanted someone that they could mould into the part, that wouldn't cost them a big salary, and that they could control. That's why it's easy to dismiss all the rumours of any A-list actor being considered for the part after Connery left. It was mostly good PR that never came to anything as there was never any intention of casting them as 007 to begin with.