Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2017 Posts: 5,131
    bondjames wrote: »
    Difficult to place Hemsworth acting-wise if you ask me. Sort of an actor who can end up either as a 'Brosnish' or 'Craigish' type of Bond, if given the chance – and depending on the tone of the future Bond films.
    I don't think he can pull off a Craig style except for his physicality. He is better suited to a lighter portrayal, as evidenced in Ragnarok. He has certain attributes that Craig does not have, and that makes him an interesting choice for slightly different take on the character while still retaining the 'macho superhero' attributes which they've injected over the past decade.

Well, I don't know. He has a few drama roles too, which possibly gives something that's closer to a Craig than a Brosnan acting-wise. But I agree a lighter portrayal is more suitable, perhaps.

Regarding Hiddleston, he sure has the acting ability and screen presence. Among few clear candidates he's one of the better, and possibly one that might attract the regular moviegoers based on name alone.

Not to mention a really good (and real/ genuine) English accent and tone to his voice.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Difficult to place Hemsworth acting-wise if you ask me. Sort of an actor who can end up either as a 'Brosnish' or 'Craigish' type of Bond, if given the chance – and depending on the tone of the future Bond films.
    I don't think he can pull off a Craig style except for his physicality. He is better suited to a lighter portrayal, as evidenced in Ragnarok. He has certain attributes that Craig does not have, and that makes him an interesting choice for slightly different take on the character while still retaining the 'macho superhero' attributes which they've injected over the past decade.

Well, I don't know. He has a few drama roles too, which possibly gives something that's closer to a Craig than a Brosnan acting-wise. But I agree a lighter portrayal is more suitable, perhaps.

Regarding Hiddleston, he sure has the acting ability and screen presence. Among few clear candidates he's one of the better, and possibly one that might attract the regular moviegoers based on name alone.

Not to mention a really good (and real/ genuine) English accent and tone to his voice.

Yep. Any candidate for Bond must have the voice to carry the role as well. Hiddleston's voice can seem a bit 'nice' at times, but surely he can turn his voice into something more commanding if necessary.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    At this point, of the modern actors, Scott Adkins and Tom Hiddleston are my picks.

Chris Hemsworth is just a soft version of Daniel Craig if he becomes Bond.
    Found this posted on Twitter. Remember what I said about Scott Adkins a few months ago? Well, I'll repeat it.

DOhCKm_X0AAgAJi.jpg:large

From the film 'Home Invasion' in case anyone wanted to see that pic in motion. Adkins has the physicality for a modern Bond, not unlike Lazenby. Surround him with high calibre actors for the acting, and allow his physicality to do the talking in the fight scenes. I bet we'd have some blistering fight sequences.
    Aye aye, Major. It's fascinating that other than the case of Brosnan we see eye to eye in most things.

I am critical of Brosnan a lot, but he did have his moments. And I would rather watch him as Bond, than Craig, but that's for another thread.

If we take Vivienne Michel's reaction to seeing Bond, in TSWLM, as an indication as to what Bond looks like, than Adkins looks more like Bond than other names thrown around, and most of the actors that have played Bond. I'd take Adkins as Bond, over someone like Tom Hiddleston, who looks like he would be affraid of his own sneeze (and yes, I have seen The Night Manager).
    I share your concerns regarding Hiddles, Major. But, I'm starting to warm up to him as Bond, even though it's highly unlikely he'll ever get the part. Scott Adkins on the other hand? While also impossible because we've got three more years to wait till Craig steps down and a new actor comes on board, and Adkins would be 45/46 by then, which immediately and sadly also qualifies him out of the possibilities, I would prefer him to be Bond than anybody else on the list so far. Unless we're introduced with newer alpha male action stars in five years time, I'm sticking to my endorsements.

That's a good point actually. We won't be seeing a new Bond until 2022 at the earliest.
    Tom Hiddleston, who looks like he would be affraid of his own sneeze

he he he

"My name is Boond, Jaaa...aaatchooo!!!! Wh..what was that?!"

He looks more suited to a slimy Alex Dimetrios type role. A sort of lower mid level villain, not tough enough to be top dog, but devious enough to have climbed a few rungs up the ladder.
    I couldn't disagree more with you. I think he's one of the best actors of his generation. Tremendously versatile and almost chameleon like. Bond would be a piece of cake for him.

Having said that, you needn't worry though because I think he's built up a decent enough career trajectory that Bond will most likely hamper due to time commitments. As I said earlier, I'd much rather see him in other roles where he can flex his acting muscles. The same goes for Fassbender.

I have seen him in a number of different roles, and he isn't a bad actor, but he lacks a certain something. I agree that the thuggish Bond has to end (same with the emotional baggage the films now carry), but that doesn't mean that the role needs to swing all the way back in the other direction to a foppish Bond.

Fassbender one popular choice that I would have been fine with seeing cast as Bond.
    OMG! We're not back to promoting that wet lettuce Hiddleston again, are we?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think Fassbender would be the most universally accepted if cast.
    Judging by past history, neither Hiddleston, Hemsworth, or Fassbender would be contenders, since the producers have never cast big-name, leading man film star. TV stars are another matter, as Moore and Brosnan demonstrate.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Revelator wrote: »
    Judging by past history, neither Hiddleston, Hemsworth, or Fassbender would be contenders, since the producers have never cast big-name, leading man film star.

But they did try a few times.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,333
    Judging by past history, neither Hiddleston, Hemsworth, or Fassbender would be contenders, since the producers have never cast big-name, leading man film star. TV stars are another matter, as Moore and Brosnan demonstrate.

That's a factor for sure – which make names like Aidan Turner and James Norton not unlikely to be mentioned. Not promoting anyone here, just saying that these two have a acting background similar to Moore and Brosnan.

Before coming to their senses. There are strong incentives against hiring a leading man film star--his salary will be far more than a less famous actor's and his availability for appearing in multiple films will be precarious. The latter is why Cary Grant refused the role--he didn't want to commit to an entire series--and partially why Connery grew fed up with it--he wanted more time to make non-Bond films.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Before coming to their senses. There are strong incentives against hiring a leading man film star--his salary will be far more than a less famous actor's and his availability for appearing in multiple films will be precarious. The latter is why Cary Grant refused the role--he didn't want to commit to an entire series--and partially why Connery grew fed up with it--he wanted more time to make non-Bond films.
    Agreed. This is one of the biggest reasons an A-Lister will never become Bond. Not under Eon's governance, anyway.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    suavejmf wrote: »

Yep. Any candidate for Bond must have the voice to carry the role as well. Hiddleston's voice can seem a bit 'nice' at times, but surely he can turn his voice into something more commanding if necessary.
    He can. It won't be a problem. However, as mentioned he has a good thing going right now and I'm not sure if Bond is a good choice for him as it locks you down during the most important time of your acting career.
    talos7 wrote: »

This is what makes him an intriguing possibility; for some Craig is too "brutish", a brawler who struggles with the lighter side of the character. Brosnan, on the other hand was at ease with the lighter charming side of Bond but struggled to be convincing in the physical side of the role. Hemsworth can strike a balance.
    I think he can. He should at least get a screen test as you said.

Things are changing. More actors are committing to multiple film contracts and even longer stints on tv. I wouldn't be surprised if a semi-big name follows Craig. There is no need for a complete 180 degree shift (or a reimagining) this time around. They just need someone to take the baton and run with it, big name or not.
    That's a factor for sure – which make names like Aidan Turner and James Norton not unlikely to be mentioned. Not promoting anyone here, just saying that these two have a acting background similar to Moore and Brosnan.
    Turner can do it based on what I've seen of him. Norton has not impressed me at all and doesn't have the voice for it.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,333
    Turner can do it based on what I've seen of him. Norton has not impressed me at all and doesn't have the voice for it.
    Only seen Turner in And Then There Were None, in which he was good. Mentioned Norton mostly for him being discussed on the thread before. Think he's done really well in what I've seen, but he has a soft voice.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm sure I've put his name forward before as a potential candidate.
    Tom Hughes
    Right height and age, good actor, I think he has the looks to play a decent Bond. Not a huge amount of film work. But I would imagine his work on 'Victoria' would help boost his profile.
    Benny wrote: »
    Tom Hughes
    Right height and age, good actor, I think he has the looks to play a decent Bond. Not a huge amount of film work. But I would imagine his work on 'Victoria' would help boost his profile.
    5Nl0teV.jpg
    rH1os4Q.jpg
    He cleans up pretty well and as you say is of the right age and height. I've only seen him in The Game. He was decent in it but didn't necessarily scream Bond to me. Lacks a bit of gravitas imho, but it could be possible.
    Oh my. They've got to give this lad a proper haircut. He looks like a bloody hipster that gets under your skin. :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    Tom Hughes
    5Nl0teV.jpg
    rH1os4Q.jpg
    He cleans up pretty well and as you say is of the right age and height. I've only seen him in The Game. He was decent in it but didn't necessarily scream Bond to me. Lacks a bit of gravitas imho, but it could be possible.

Agreed. He needs to get a bigger film under his belt to make himself more widely known. I enjoyed ‘The Game’.
    Whilst he doesn’t scream Bond, I think he has enough to throw his hat in the ring.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think Fassbender would be the most universally accepted if cast.

I think he was born to play the role, but with his age likely never will
    blimey,no way...
    I'm surprised Dan Stevens hasn't been mentioned more,looks ideal to me,and has a great voice,similar to Craig's :

theguest3.jpg

New_LOWRES_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq6sl0PMcqPKYfYzP4XwNXrmHCBmHUtsNJf6pS3KE2BFM.jpg?imwidth=450

ds3.jpg

dan-stevens-4a23036aa04aa2799a8f633cd8e31254912ee879.jpg.pagespeed.ce.ae90bJdkXV.jpg

1409875965344_wps_21_DAN_STEVENS_in_the_action.jpg

He has a decent look, but from what I've seen of him, I don't think he has the 'edge'. A bit of a pretty boy who needs to overdo it to show menace (again, at the risk of offending fans, I detect a bit of Broz in him).
    Don't think I've seen Stephens in anything but a Miss Marple episode, in which he played a German. Did fine in that role, but can't remember much from the episode.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I could see that work, with some more meat on him and shorter hair. And properly shaven. Could someone give him a scar on his cheek as well?
    Don't think I've seen Stephens in anything but a Miss Marple episode, in which he played a German. Did fine in that role, but can't remember much from the episode.

He was also in Downton Abbey and has made a few films in America now,such as the new Beauty & the Beast film etc.
    Too many to list but have a look here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Stevens#Filmography

• Dan Stevens is a great choice. Loved him in The Guest.
    He's the #1 choice for me,you can tell that by the photos I put on here on the last page...perfect for the role,and famous but not too famous yet.
    barryt007 wrote: »

He was also in Downton Abbey and has made a few films in America now,such as the new Beauty & the Beast film etc.

Never seen Downton Abbey, but I understand it's a popular show, as it's regularly mentioned and/or spoken of. Does Stephens have a big role there?
    barryt007 wrote: »

Never seen Downton Abbey, but I understand it's a popular show, as it's regularly mentioned and/or spoken of. Does Stephens have a big role there?
    Temporarily, yes.

I don't have a problem with the guy, but feel he has to exaggerate facially to convey menace. There is a lack of subtlety in his approach to danger.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,730
    He’s great in downton abbey, nothing screams bond about him though
    I know a friend who hates Dan Stevens with passion. :))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I hate to say it, but Dan Stevens is still better than Hiddlekins.

They always said that Bond has a plain name, because he's a blunt instrument.