Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I wouldn't disagree with that at all.

Supposedly with the kid coming back, it hints at a major spoiler.

I'll leave that tease with you, lol...
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,295
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap , good point. Robert Downey Jr is one actor I think is looking better and better with age. His Tony Stark is ageless in the way Bond should be IMO.
    Be nice to get a Bond actor with that quality so by the time their final film is out, and he does happen to be in his early '50's or so, one could argue he's at his peak.

Indeed. Brosnan had a little of the same quality as Bond. Didn't feel that he looked to old by DAD. If anything, he delivered a good performance in a film that just wasn't as good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Brosnan always looked good. He still does.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap , good point. Robert Downey Jr is one actor I think is looking better and better with age. His Tony Stark is ageless in the way Bond should be IMO.
    Be nice to get a Bond actor with that quality so by the time their final film is out, and he does happen to be in his early '50's or so, one could argue he's at his peak.

Indeed. Brosnan had a little of the same quality as Bond. Didn't feel that he looked to old by DAD. If anything, he delivered a good performance in a film that just wasn't as good.

Brosnan in DAD is one of my favourite Bond performances. He has to sell the stupid stuff and the serious dramatic stuff and make it seem consistent. The film shifts tones so often that it should be jarring, so Brosnan really has to anchor the film, and I think he really pulled it off. Genuinely can't picture any other Bond doing DAD. Moore would have sold the OTT stuff to perfection but the dramatic North Korea scenes I'm not so sure. Opposite for Dalton and Craig, they'd have nailed that stuff but can they make the audience buy into an invisible car and a giant space lazer? Connery would have taken one look at the script and phoned it in. But Brosnan gives it his all and nails it.

I think it's also the most consistent and confident he'd ever been as Bond. He seemed really comfortable and self assured by that point, he wasn't playing James Bond anymore, he was James Bond. It's a real shame that he got given his worst film right as he hit his stride imo.

Brosnan in DAD is one of my favourite Bond performances. He has to sell the stupid stuff and the serious dramatic stuff and make it seem consistent. The film shifts tones so often that it should be jarring, so Brosnan really has to anchor the film, and I think he really pulled it off. Genuinely can't picture any other Bond doing DAD. Moore would have sold the OTT stuff to perfection but the dramatic North Korea scenes I'm not so sure. Opposite for Dalton and Craig, they'd have nailed that stuff but can they make the audience buy into an invisible car and a giant space lazer? Connery would have taken one look at the script and phoned it in. But Brosnan gives it his all and nails it.

I think it's also the most consistent and confident he'd ever been as Bond. He seemed really comfortable and self assured by that point, he wasn't playing James Bond anymore, he was James Bond. It's a real shame that he got given his worst film right as he hit his stride imo.
    I agree. He had at least one more in him and given what we saw in DAD, he may have really nailed it too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Agreed 100%. One of the most underrated Bond performances.
  • I think because he was sort of a jack of all trades Bond he often gets taken for granted in all his films. Even when his films did look at Bond as a character, he was still a pretty broad/vague character, he never really got a script that played to specific strengths like Moore, Dalton and Craig did so a lot of fans don't notice how good he actually was. Some might say that means he was generic/replaceable but I disagree because it's hard to find an actor who can switch gears so effortlessly. DAD is a bad film as it is, but if you replaced Brosnan with any other Bond then I think it'd fall apart completely. That some fans think Brosnan was so easily replaceable is actually a testament to how good he actually was imo. Call him the greatest hits Bond all you like but I think it's probably a lot harder to have to play all those different sides of Bond in situations that are so different tonally and still make it feel like he's a consistent and rounded character than it is if you just focus on one side of him.

I find it really sad how down on his performances he seems to be nowadays, saying he was never good enough, etc. He shouldn't be so hard on himself. He was brilliant.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @thelivingroyale, I know you are big fan of him as Bond. I can't say I have the same view, and so I don't share the same feelings you just expressed above. However, I think he did deliver very good Bond performances in GE, the first half of TND & DAD. I recognized that Bond in those films. I'd seen him before. It's the same guy as the best of them, even if a bit unsure and self conscious in GE as he got his feet wet.

If I could erase the later half of TND and all of TWINE from my memory (believe me when I say sometimes I try to) I'd look at him as Bond in a far more positive light. I'm referring to his performances in those sections of the film more than I am the films themselves (although I thought both were quite poor).
  • bondjames wrote: »
    @thelivingroyale, I know you are big fan of him as Bond. I can't say I have the same view, and so I don't share the same feelings you just expressed above. However, I think he did deliver very good Bond performances in GE, the first half of TND & DAD. I recognized that Bond in those films. I'd seen him before. It's the same guy as the best of them, even if a bit unsure and self conscious in GE as he got his feet wet.

If I could erase the later half of TND and all of TWINE from my memory (believe me when I say sometimes I try to) I'd look at him as Bond in a far more positive light. I'm referring to his performances in those sections of the film more than I am the films themselves (although I thought both were quite poor).

To be honest I completely understand why you don't like TWINE. It's definitely rough around the edges and probably his weakest performance because he does overact at times. But I love it because there's just so many great original ideas in there and I think it has a really good story and loads of cool inventive concepts and action scenes. I felt like with TND they really phoned it in towards the end, but TWINE was more the sort of thing I was expecting after Goldeneye. I remember sitting in the cinema watching it for the first time and when he lands on the dome and the titles finally kicked in I thought "this is already better than the last one".
    obama-putin-trump-which-political-figure-would-play-james-bond-best-4__880.jpg

I don't get it. Why did you post that Daniel Craig image but changed the title?
    bondjames wrote: »

To be honest I completely understand why you don't like TWINE. It's definitely rough around the edges and probably his weakest performance because he does overact at times. But I love it because there's just so many great original ideas in there and I think it has a really good story and loads of cool inventive concepts and action scenes. I felt like with TND they really phoned it in towards the end, but TWINE was more the sort of thing I was expecting after Goldeneye. I remember sitting in the cinema watching it for the first time and when he lands on the dome and the titles finally kicked in I thought "this is already better than the last one".
    I can fully understand where you're coming from as well. If I wasn't so put off by some of the scenes, some of the cast members, and some of the specific performances in sections of the film, I would look at it more favourably as well. I have come round to the realization (thanks to you among others) that it was really a brave film, and definitely a precursor to the Craig era.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I can fully understand where you're coming from as well. If I wasn't so put off by some of the scenes, some of the cast members, and some of the specific performances in sections of the film, I would look at it more favourably as well. I have come round to the realization (thanks to you among others) that it was really a brave film, and definitely a precursor to the Craig era.

I think that's something that every fan should keep in mind while watching TWINE, especially newer fans who first got into Bond during the Craig era. Because the context of the Craig films it might all seem a bit played out but at the time all that stuff, MI6 being blown up, the trust issues, the personal drama, M playing a big role. This was all new. By the time SF came out that stuff had sort of become a formula in itself so it's easy to forget how different it was at the time.
    At the time of it's release TWINE was my favorite Pierce film. I thought it had enough character and suspense without throwing it in our face, yet still kept a grip on Bondian formula. Compared to John Glen, though I felt the action scenes seemed a bit ordinary- the copter buzz saw at the caviar factory never really excited me.
    Pierce was solid. I kind of felt he reminded me of John Gardner's 007 rather than Fleming.

Yes, he really is confident. One could pick many moments from the film, but the clilic scene(s) are one of several examples of this.
    Anthony Mackie throws his hat into the ring. I'll have whatever he's smoking.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/avengers-infinity-war-star-reveals-11427205
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/avengers-infinity-war-star-reveals-11427205

Never heard of him. But he's black so 'no'.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't think he was being serious. He's a cool guy in real-life, though. And by cool, I don't mean he's Steve McQueen, just someone you'd get along nicely with.
    Well he did make the announcement at the UK Comic Con. It was pretty funny, I'll give him that.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well he did make the announcement at the UK Comic Con. It was pretty funny, I'll give him that.

It was a funny announcement.
    The pool ain't getting any better these days.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That's some good stuff, i'm sure. I will happily let him be Bond. But first, I have to be cast as Shaft, and the film must cross the $1 billion dollar mark at the box office.

From what I understand how this goes, because I have said that I want to be Shaft, everyone must now automatically overlook three things, I am not a) black, b) american and c) an actor.
    @MajorDSmythe if Mrs. Smythe is allowed to play Foxy Brown alongside your Shaft, then I'll help produce your film there, lad. :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That's some good stuff, i'm sure. I will happily let him be Bond. But first, I have to be cast as Shaft, and the film must cross the $1 billion dollar mark at the box office.

From what I understand how this goes, because I have said that I want to be Shaft, everyone must now automatically overlook three things, I am not a) black, b) american and c) an actor.

Well considering his seriousness, you might be in for a real chance there! ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe if Mrs. Smythe is allowed to play Foxy Brown alongside your Shaft, then I'll help produce your film there, lad. :))

I had her in mind for Coffy, but Foxy Brown could also work. :D

Well considering his seriousness, you might be in for a real chance there! ;-)

And with my clout that Shaft will bring, I will get my dog cast as Lassie. My dog is a Borador, but that won't matter.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Meet the new Black Beauty
    200354137-001-56a0001e5f9b58eba4ae653e.jpg
    This is a triumph for diversity.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, I see that and raise you this:
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

We dodged a bullet there. No wonder he didn t get the part.
    @ClarkDevlin, I see that and raise you this:
    Haha, that Craig guy is a friggin genius! :))

We dodged a bullet there. No wonder he didn t get the part.
    He dodged a few bullets himself. And one that didn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Haha, that Craig guy is a friggin genius! :))

My all-time favorite late night host. :)