Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• barryt007 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    If I'd say I should be Bond publicly we would be talking about me being Bond and how good or bad I would, however unlikely the possibility.

Eh ? I thought you were 1/4 odds on to be BOND number 7 ?!
    I've got a tenner bet on you !!

Bet on my son: he's only one, but he's very active, he can hit and kick like a pro and he's a catch with the ladies. And there's actors in the family.

I'm not betting on a 3 year old in 2018 becoming Bond matey !! ;)

Give him a few more years though and he'll be ready for MGW's life's work: the live action James Bond Jr reboot (seriously I still can't believe the guy who wrote LTK was appparently involved in that trainwreck, even as a kid I knew it was crap).

I didnt actually know that....From that rubbish to writing the brilliant LTK ?
    Well well well.

Yeah it's really hard to believe but from what I've read he was fairly involved in developing the show. Did enough to be credited anyway. I don't get how a man who's been around since the beginning, who helped write and produce some of the very best Bond films, could at all be involved in that and think "yes, this is a good show that's good for the brand". Maybe money was getting tight during the six year gap and he decided to just let them churn out any old crap to keep the franchise going.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What age is too old to start playing Bond?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    How old is Turner???

(I jest @Mendes4Lyfe)
    peter wrote: »
    How old is Turner???

(I jest @Mendes4Lyfe)

That's why I'm asking. Turner is 38/9 in 2022. I heard some on here complain that he is too young in the face for Bond, so perhaps the extra time would help his chances. Plus it gives him time to prove himself in movies like he has done in television.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited October 2017 Posts: 7,976
    If I'd say I should be Bond publicly we would be talking about me being Bond and how good or bad I would, however unlikely the possibility.

Bet on my son: he's only one, but he's very active, he can hit and kick like a pro and he's a catch with the ladies. And there's actors in the family.

3 is the new 30 old boy!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

3 is the new 30 old boy!
    :)) True!
  • What age is too old to start playing Bond?

I know this isn't how EON will approach the casting at all but for me too young is more of an issue than too old. I'd rather have a 40 something actor for only a couple of films than a baby faced one that doesn't look the part of a seasoned agent until a few films in.

I know this isn't how EON will approach the casting at all but for me too young is more of an issue than too old. I'd rather have a 40 something actor for only a couple of films than a baby faced one that doesn't look the part of a seasoned agent until a few films in.
    +1

Hear hear!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    For me age isn't too much of an issue. I just want an actor who looks good in the role. Having said that, I've preferred all the actors when they were younger (including Craig). They all had more of an edge to them (the benefits of youth) which dissipated the longer they stayed in the role and the older they got. Of course they still delivered decent performances, but that certain lethal edge was most apparent during their first few films. This is why, like some others, I would prefer a three film maximum going forward.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    For me age isn't too much of an issue. I just want an actor who looks good in the role. Having said that, I've preferred all the actors when they were younger (including Craig). They all had more of an edge to them (the benefits of youth) which dissipated the longer they stayed in the role and the older they got. Of course they still delivered decent performances, but that certain lethal edge was most apparent during their first few films. This is why, like some others, I would prefer a three film maximum going forward.

I think a three film maximum is a little harsh but four is about right. I think it's better to be left wanting more than wishing they'd gone sooner (I do wish Brosnan had done a fifth though simply because I think he deserved a better exit than DAD). I don't know if I agree on them all losing their edge as they get older, I think Moore and Craig definitely mellowed, but Brosnan and Connery were fairly consistent (Brosnan I think actually got better and better). And I think the mellowing out of Craig's Bond has worked well and I enjoy Moore much more in his later films than his first two.

But I do think even if the film itself isn't brilliant, there's just something really exciting about a new actor doing his own thing with the role. After a while it stops feeling fresh and cool and more comforting and familiar, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's noticeable imo.

+1

Hear hear!

Glad I'm not the only one @ClarkDevlin. I think casting a 30 year old was fine back when they looked like Connery and Lazenby but nowadays a lot of the suggested candidates look more like the frontman in an indie band than a hardened secret agent imo.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think it differs from actor to actor. Dalton looked far too wet behind the years in '68, but had aged into his looks by '87. Whereas Conney in '71 was, what, 3 maybe 4 years younger than Dalton in '87, but looked a good 10 (and then some) years older. Also now we have longer gaps between films. I feel the next Bond will be around 30 (no younger), that way he can do 4 or 5 films.
    bondjames wrote: »

I think a three film maximum is a little harsh but four is about right. I think it's better to be left wanting more than wishing they'd gone sooner (I do wish Brosnan had done a fifth though simply because I think he deserved a better exit than DAD). I don't know if I agree on them all losing their edge as they get older, I think Moore and Craig definitely mellowed, but Brosnan and Connery were fairly consistent (Brosnan I think actually got better and better). And I think the mellowing out of Craig's Bond has worked well and I enjoy Moore much more in his later films than his first two.

But I do think even if the film itself isn't brilliant, there's just something really exciting about a new actor doing his own thing with the role. After a while it stops feeling fresh and cool and more comforting and familiar, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's noticeable imo.
    I agree that it depends on the actor and yes, perhaps one shouldn't put a predetermined limit on things. Brosnan was a bit of an exception to me, because I thought his portrayal didn't follow a predetermined path. Perhaps it's because he only made four films over seven short years.

All the others (including the incumbent) have shown notable signs of mellowing past their second film. The Connery of DN/FRWL is quite different from the one in GF/TB. I like both of his styles, but I don't think he would have been able to give us that raw edginess in DAF that he showcased so readily in DN. The same goes for Craig now vs. the Craig of CR/QoS (I realize many are hoping for that Craig to reappear, but I don't think he will).

Moore was perhaps the most mellow of all the Bonds, and I don't think it's a coincidence that he started as the oldest.
    I think it differs from actor to actor. Dalton looked far too wet behind the years in '68, but had aged into his looks by '87. Whereas Conney in '71 was, what, 3 maybe 4 years younger than Dalton in '87, but looked a good 10 (and then some) years older. Also now we have longer gaps between films. I feel the next Bond will be around 30 (no younger), that way he can do 4 or 5 films.

That's pretty much what I think. Connery looked like a veteran still im his prime in DN. In DAF he looked ready for a desk job. Brosnan started looking his age around DAD but he looked younger than he was in his first two films and it served him well.
    I personally loved Brosnan's look in TWINE the most. A very professional looking veteran secret agent.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,295
    I personally loved Brosnan's look in TWINE the most. A very professional looking veteran secret agent.

Agreed. Do think his wardrobe in TWINE was the best of his tenure, also.
    Brosnan peaked in TND. In fact, every Bond actor peaks in their second outing (except Lazenby!), which is a shame, because overall the second outing is usually a creative slump from a production stand point.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FRWL????

Agreed. Do think his wardrobe in TWINE was the best of his tenure, also.
    I couldn't agree more!
    peter wrote: »
    FRWL????
    I actually think Sean looked his best in FRWL.

Have to agree with this one as well. Good wardrobe, a Connery getting used to the role, and one of the best (in my opinion THE best) Bond film, as well.

Have to agree with this one as well. Good wardrobe, a Connery getting used to the role, and one of the best (in my opinion THE best) Bond film, as well.
    Near perfection as far as I'm concerned, and my favourite Bond film by some distance as well. The overall ambience which emanated romance, suspense and mystery in equal measure is quite unique. They came close to evoking that atmosphere during the Egypt scenes in TSWLM.
    Those Egypt scenes are really great. They haven't been close to evoking the same atmosphere since, if you ask me – but that's a discussion for another thread.

Regarding the age discussion, I can't really see a (ca.)30-year-old actor taking the role as a seasoned spy, unless he looks a 'seasoned' 30-year-old himself. How many actors in that age group really looks the part? Can't really think of anyone. I do hope they look for someone in the 35+ age group for Bond 26. Think we can live with an actor doing just 3-4 films if that actor looks his most Bondian during that period.
    Those Egypt scenes are really great. They haven't been close to evoking the same atmosphere since, if you ask me – but that's a discussion for another thread.

Regarding the age discussion, I can't really see a (ca.)30-year-old actor taking the role as a seasoned spy, unless he looks a 'seasoned' 30-year-old himself. How many actors in that age group really looks the part? Can't really think of anyone. I do hope they look for someone in the 35+ age group for Bond 26. Think we can live with an actor doing just 3-4 films if that actor looks his most Bondian during that period.

Well said. In addition, 30 today isn't exactly the same as 30 in the '60's. Lazenby looked quite seasoned in OHMSS. Today's 30 year old actors look like college kids or even younger. Bond needs to be worldly or world weary. Unless adaptations of the Young Bond novels are filmed post Craig I don't want a Bond actor younger than 35 really. I don't even really want to see Young Bond done either, TBH. I just want a Bond actor who at casual glance can pass for late 30's/ early 40's for a decade or so. I also don't want the films to pinpoint an exact age on Bond either as they seem to be implying in the Craig films.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Well said. In addition, 30 today isn't exactly the same as 30 in the '60's. Lazenby looked quite seasoned in OHMSS. Today's 30 year old actors look like college kids or even younger. Bond needs to be worldly or world weary. Unless adaptations of the Young Bond novels are filmed post Craig I don't want a Bond actor younger than 35 really. I don't even really want to see Young Bond done either, TBH. I just want a Bond actor who at casual glance can pass for late 30's/ early 40's for a decade or so. I also don't want the films to pinpoint an exact age on Bond either as they seem to be implying in the Craig films.

Agree. Lazenby (a good example, btw) could pass for being a man in his early 30's (after all, he was), just as much as a man in his late 30's. Few actors in that age group today have that 'quality' to their appearance. We do however have actors well into their 40's that look like they could be around 35. Or at least actors in the 40+ age group that can look like guys in their early 40's for quite a number of years. Robert Downey Jr. is one example. He's 52, but can probably play Tony Stark for several more years. He sure doesn't look too old for that part.
    @Torgeirtrap , good point. Robert Downey Jr is one actor I think is looking better and better with age. His Tony Stark is ageless in the way Bond should be IMO.
    Be nice to get a Bond actor with that quality so by the time their final film is out, and he does happen to be in his early '50's or so, one could argue he's at his peak.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tony Stark is now part of an ensemble. He hasn’t started in his own film for quite some time. I wonder how Downey Jr would fair if he had to headline and carry two or three more films based on he and his character; could he deliver the goods time and again.

I’m speculating, but he can bring zest and fun since he’s no longer carrying his own franchise by himself. Hard to compare Bond and Stark (not talking about appearance per se, but even they can start to look a little weighed down in conjunction with performances that become less and less “enthusiastic “)
    RDJ was always a fairly good looking and youthful guy. If he hadn't gone down the substance abuse path for a bit he may have even looked better now.

He is aging a bit but can certainly hold his own with the 'kids' on the Marvel roster. He's got massive amounts of charisma and wit and that counts for a lot. Up there with Samuel Jackson for sheer screen presence imho.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I wonder about Downey Jr and his screen presence-- Sam Jackson, as you say @bondjames, is sheer and unadulterated charisma. It really doesn't matter what role he plays; serious, semi-serious-serious-comi, whatever, he's got it (unless it's in those SW prequels where it looked as if they sedated him);

Downey Jr brings his game to the Marvel Uni and SH... his other recent films seem to be diluting him though, and I think this shows in his performances (and then the box office returns outside of his franchise films (and I'm not saying THE JUDGE had to make a billion at the WW Box Office, but that came out at the TIFF and was believed to be an Oscar run; it petered out financially and critically))...

I like Downey Jr in moderation, I just don't put him in the same league, charisma-wise, with the great Sam Jackson...
    You're correct, @peter, and I should have clarified my remarks. I mean as Iron Man/Stark. He is just magic in that role. He basically launched the Marvel juggernaut with 2008's Iron Man. Whenever he is on screen as that character he owns the space. Given how many films they release with him in it every other year, one could argue that he doesn't really have to appear in anything else.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, and, once again, @bondjames, now that he doesn't have to carry the films wholly on his shoulders, I think there's an effortless playfulness he brings more to the role now (although I loved the guy we met in the first IM, just a little more).
    Yes, that's certainly true @peter. Having said that, I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 and wish they'd let him do one more. A lot of that had to do with the dynamic and humour between RDJ and the kid Ty Simpkins, who I'm really glad to hear is back in Infinity Wars. It's amazing how much money IR3 made despite not having all the firepower of the Avengers cast behind it. That's testament to his clout as Stark.