Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Haha, that Craig guy is a friggin genius! :))

My all-time favorite late night host. :)
    The only one who has ever been funny in the last 30 years. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Haha, that Craig guy is a friggin genius! :))

My all-time favorite late night host. :)
    The only one who has ever been funny in the last 30 years. ;)

I wouldn't go that far, but he was by far the most unconventional host regarding the idea of having a late night show and it's that same refusal of his to do a typical late night program that will endear him to me forever. After watching Craig for so many years it's a bore to watch any other show with the same slavish commitment to formula, interviews, network approved content and all the rest.

Craig threw out his question cards and took the p*ss out of his sponsors because he didn't give a toss. That was what made him awesome: he was the fun and off the cuff garage band when all the other shows were attempting to be boring big orchestra shows with all the hollowness.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    No thanks. Film Stars Do Die In Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    I don't know any one personally who might aspire to BE like Jamie Bell if he were cast as 007. I do know many people who'd love to be Sean Connery's Bond, though.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I do know many people who'd love to be Sean Connery's Bond, though.
    May I raise my hand? Connery's Bond. I'd like to be him for at least one day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2017 Posts: 7,981
    Following the latest Thor I’m starting to warm up to the thought of Chris Hemsworth as Bond, any thoughts?
    See above.
    I assume you mean the “Out of Step”
    Way out, talos!
    Found this posted on Twitter. Remember what I said about Scott Adkins a few months ago? Well, I'll repeat it.

DOhCKm_X0AAgAJi.jpg:large
    I saw him in El Gringo. He isn t Bond material.
    I saw him in El Gringo. He isn t Bond material.
    But, neither was Craig before appearing in Royale.
    He was.
    He was.
    for Red Grant. ;)
    talos7 wrote: »
    Following the latest Thor I’m starting to warm up to the thought of Chris Hemsworth as Bond, any thoughts?
    I mentioned it on the Last Movie thread. He has what it takes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Found this posted on Twitter. Remember what I said about Scott Adkins a few months ago? Well, I'll repeat it.

From the film 'Home Invasion' in case anyone wanted to see that pic in motion. Adkins has the physicality for a modern Bond, not unlike Lazenby. Surround him with high calibre actors for the acting, and allow his physicality to do the talking in the fight scenes. I bet we'd have some blistering fight sequences.

From the film 'Home Invasion' in case anyone wanted to see that pic in motion. Adkins has the physicality for a modern Bond, not unlike Lazenby. Surround him with high calibre actors for the acting, and allow his physicality to do the talking in the fight scenes. I bet we'd have some blistering fight sequences.
    Aye aye, Major. It's fascinating that other than the case of Brosnan we see eye to eye in most things.
    Way out, talos!
    Fair enough, I’ve gone back and forth; if they go in a more traditional direction he has many of the qualities needed. He’s he’s tall, physically imposing, has good looks and has slowly cultivated an appealing on screen charm; on top of these qualities he has just the right amount of public awareness.
    All in all he deserves a screen test
    Atkins has a DTV vibe that he just can’t shake.
    Atkins has a DTV vibe that he just can’t shake.
    That's because he keeps being wasted in DTV materials. Give the guy a blockbuster film and a vigorously established film director, and you'll see he's great.
    Way out, talos!
    Fair enough, I’ve gone back and forth; if they go in a more traditional direction he has many of the qualities needed. He’s he’s tall, physically imposing, has good looks and has slowly cultivated an appealing on screen charm; on top of these qualities he has just the right amount of public awareness.
    All in all he deserves a screen test
    Agreed. I think many will look at him differently after Ragnarok. He's found his voice as an actor, and he certainly has a unique imposing physicality without looking like a thug (unlike that chap above).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 13,894

Aye aye, Major. It's fascinating that other than the case of Brosnan we see eye to eye in most things.

I am critical of Brosnan a lot, but he did have his moments. And I would rather watch him as Bond, than Craig, but that's for another thread.

If we take Vivienne Michel's reaction to seeing Bond, in TSWLM, as an indication as to what Bond looks like, than Adkins looks more like Bond than other names thrown around, and most of the actors that have played Bond. I'd take Adkins as Bond, over someone like Tom Hiddleston, who looks like he would be affraid of his own sneeze (and yes, I have seen The Night Manager).
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    At this point, of the modern actors, Scott Adkins and Tom Hiddleston are my picks.

Chris Hemsworth is just a soft version of Daniel Craig if he becomes Bond.

I am critical of Brosnan a lot, but he did have his moments. And I would rather watch him as Bond, than Craig, but that's for another thread.

If we take Vivienne Michel's reaction to seeing Bond, in TSWLM, as an indication as to what Bond looks like, than Adkins looks more like Bond than other names thrown around, and most of the actors that have played Bond. I'd take Adkins as Bond, over someone like Tom Hiddleston, who looks like he would be affraid of his own sneeze (and yes, I have seen The Night Manager).
    I share your concerns regarding Hiddles, Major. But, I'm starting to warm up to him as Bond, even though it's highly unlikely he'll ever get the part. Scott Adkins on the other hand? While also impossible because we've got three more years to wait till Craig steps down and a new actor comes on board, and Adkins would be 45/46 by then, which immediately and sadly also qualifies him out of the possibilities, I would prefer him to be Bond than anybody else on the list so far. Unless we're introduced with newer alpha male action stars in five years time, I'm sticking to my endorsements.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    He has far better comedic timing than Daniel Craig (you'll see it in Ragnarok), and his height and looks are superior these days too. He's not a dramatic actor unlike Craig, but he has star power potential.

I'd be perfectly fine with Hiddleston as well. More Roger Moore'esque suave but with an edge. He's perhaps too good of an actor for Bond though. I'd much rather see him continue to deliver in varied film styles, as he's done to date.
    bondjames wrote: »
    He has far better comedic timing than Daniel Craig (you'll see it in Ragnarok), and his height and looks are superior these days too. He's not a dramatic actor unlike Craig, but he has star power potential.

I'd be perfectly fine with Hiddleston as well. More Roger Moore'esque suave but with an edge. He's perhaps too good of an actor for Bond though. I'd much rather see him continue to deliver in varied film styles, as he's done to date.
    He has a comedic side, sure. But, the guy is of the dudeism category than that sophisticated yet intimidating side when it comes to the character of Bond. Even Moore had that threatening menace of death stare in him when the situation required, and that dates back to the days he played Simon Templar (circa 1964).

He has a comedic side, sure. But, the guy is of the dudeism category than that sophisticated yet intimidating side when it comes to the character of Bond. Even Moore had that threatening menace of death stare in him when the situation required, and that dates back to the days he played Simon Templar (circa 1964).
    It's a good point about the 'death stare'. That's something that every Bond actor must have. Moore was able to turn that on with ease. At the risk of offending, this is an area where I thought Laz and Brossa were lacking (the former just didn't have it and the latter had to overdo his facial expressions to demonstrate it).

Hemsworth really impressed in Ragnarok. I look at him differently these days as a result. He has something, but the tone of the films have to accomodate his strengths.

He starred in one of the Bourne films, didn't he?

He starred in one of the Bourne films, didn't he?
    Yep! But, he was hardly noticeable. He appeared in Utimatum during the Madrid sequence and got his arse kicked. Lol!

It's a good point about the 'death stare'. That's something that every Bond actor must have. Moore was able to turn that on with ease. At the risk of offending, this is an area where I thought Laz and Brossa were lacking (the former just didn't have it and the latter had to overdo his facial expressions to demonstrate it).

Hemsworth really impressed in Ragnarok. I look at him differently these days as a result. He has something, but the tone of the films have to accomodate his strengths.
    I think it's a matter of perspective/vision of things when it comes to Brosnan. I for one think he did greatly in his tenure, but there were scenes he overdid it in The World Is Not Enough. But, that element was toned down and perfected in Die Another Day. As for Lazenby, it's mainly his overall acting that comes off bland sometimes. He can't do the death stare at all, despite having the chance of doing it when Blofeld exposed him while demonstrating half his plan. But, other than Craig (in a draw match), I don't think anybody can really portray the combatant physicality of Bond the way Lazenby did. I was watching OHMSS the other day and the man really impressed me (felt like a first time despite being... what? Seventy-Fifth? Haha!) during that fight with Draco's henchman in Tracy's hotel suite.

Regarding Hemsworth, I can't picture him in the role. He's not too different from Chris Evans in form. There's too much dudeism about the guy. I can't picture him being that sophisticated rugged handsome hardman that Bond is and behaves like.