The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LTK was Llewellyn s favourite, and Dalton his favourite Bond.
    LTK beats the hell out of TLD.....a totally superior and more entertaining film,in my top 10 at #9 I think.
    It’s #9 on my list too. Had a blast with it last night. That’s cool to hear Llewellyn liked it the most; I wonder if Dalton preferred it over TLD or not.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It’s #9 on my list too. Had a blast with it last night. That’s cool to hear Llewellyn liked it the most; I wonder if Dalton preferred it over TLD or not.

He preferred TLD. Apparently he thought LTK went too far.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Licence To Kill Eye popping visuals during the pre title sequence, first time I have watched this since I got a 4K TV this film looks amazing
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,685
    Such a fantastic opening sequence, awesome Bond theme. I am remembering when I first saw this at the cinema, at the time I felt the Lethal Weapon influence was there which I did not mind as I watched Lethal Weapon hundreds of times on video. LTK score was a slow burner for me initially though love it now, much more appealing to me than Newmans efforts.
    Such a fantastic opening sequence, awesome Bond theme. I am remembering when I first saw this at the cinema, at the time I felt the Lethal Weapon influence was there which I did not mind as I watched Lethal Weapon hundreds of times on video. LTK score was a slow burner for me initially though love it now, much more appealing to me than Newmans efforts.

The Lethal Weapon influence was probably down to the Michael Kamen score! LTK only weakness, for me! I so wish Barry could have done it, but i believe he was ill at the time!
    Great to see so much love for Daltons second.
    For me i cant decide which is best. Love TLD too (including the final showdown with Whitaker!) But LTK is superb thriller. The barefoot waterski sequence is one of the best action set pieces in the series. And Sanchez one of the very best villains!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,685
    Agree in that it's a shame Barry could not have done the score for LTK, though Kamen's score has improved for me plus I have the Lethal Weapon score which I love. My initial issues were does Kamen sound suit Bond, now I think it is of its time and the score for me fits the subject matter and locations of the film.
    The score of TLD is one of the few things I prefer about it to LTK. Every Bond score Barry did was pretty good, and that one was definitely no exception. I think LTK has a decent score; it's not really a favorite or least favorite of mine overall in the series.
    TLD is much better than LTK for sure, today I was looking for extended Album Score of LTK, the CD I have only has ten tracks not sure a deluxe version exists.? I found alot of LTK unreleased tracks on YouTube, LTK would be a much better score to listen to if they were included.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    LTK had a nice, Latin American rendition of the Bond theme. Couple of sustained, intense cues. But sometimes it also sounded like a horror flick.

TLD is classic Barry.
    I do believe those who dislike LTK would have a changed view if Barry had scored it!
    Kamen, for me, is a very limited composer, and didnt do enough for the film, particularly the climax!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I do believe those who dislike LTK would have a changed view if Barry had scored it!
    Kamen, for me, is a very limited composer, and didnt do enough for the film, particularly the climax!

Probably, yeah. Kamen managed a few things but on the whole his score just didn't feel Bond-like enough.
    I used to feel the Kamen score kept the film from feeling classic Bond. That said, the return of the guitar plucked melody for the first time since TSWLM was most welcome.

Right now I'm watching
    FRWL

A bit past the past the half way mark: M and Moneypenny listening in on Bond and Tania.

Great scene, though the thought of M and Bond in Tokyo makes me think of Geoffrey Keen in TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA hotting the brothels with his buddies.
    Grant knocks Bond out. The ankle-holster is one of my earliest memories of Connery/Bond. This aired on ABC- probably around 1980 and this scene stood out for me as a young kid.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    You had me at 'Right now I'm watching FRWL'. Dangerous of Bond to turn his back on anyone in FRWL! The Orient Express sequence is glorious.
    You had me at 'Right now I'm watching FRWL'. Dangerous of Bond to turn his back on anyone in FRWL! The Orient Express sequence is glorious.

He drops his guard for just a moment. I love the genuine tension here and the build up. Just great dialogue and performances as well as the setting.

Grant slaps Bond...............

I may have to go back to the other thread and put this one as my number one Bond.
    Bond/Grant fight- love the lighting here. Pretty vicious stuff, and no I don't think the Hinx fight even remotely compares (though it is pretty damn good).

Bond strangles Grant. The audience ROARED a loud applause in the cinema.
    I don't remember the last time I saw a Bond in the cinema in which the audience cheered so loudly.
    Kronsteen wears a navy dinner jacket with gray slacks. Not mad about his tailor are you?
    Connery looks cool in the pea coat. He rocks the hat as well.
    Another moment where the audience cheered, Bond shooting at the gas canisters and creating that huge explosion.
    I forgot Barry samples Norman's score for this scene. He gets a pass while Newman does not.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 15,882
    Unlike other editions, the Blu ray has the "THE END credit play over Connery's waving hand. A mistake thanks to the 2006 Lowery restoration?
    Then again for ages, many editions cut out the James Bond will be back in GOLDFINGER credit.
  • mattjoesmattjoes It's Neil Connery's world, we're just living in it.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I forgot Barry samples Norman's score for this scene.

Are you sure he does? (I'm not.)
    mattjoes wrote: »

From DR NO- the music as Bond and Honey escape Crab Key plays during the section after Bond blows up the canisters and Morzeny burns.

From DR NO- the music as Bond and Honey escape Crab Key plays during the section after Bond blows up the canisters and Morzeny burns.

I know, but I'm not sure that it was Barry's decision to reuse that theme. I'm not even sure if it's a re-recording or the original cue. Even if it's the former, he could've been following orders.

In FRWL, the Bond theme plays in the hotel scene. Barry wouldn't score the scene like that, so that was probably out of his hands. It's possible the same happened with the boat scene.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 15,882

I know, but I'm not sure that it was Barry's decision to reuse that theme. I'm not even sure if it's a re-recording or the original cue. Even if it's the former, he could've been following orders.

In FRWL, the Bond theme plays in the hotel scene. Barry wouldn't score the scene like that, so that was probably out of his hands. It's possible the same happened with the boat scene.

Good point. Never sounded like something Barry would have used. I wonder if it was Terence who made that call?
    I don't mind it, though I imagine Barry might have come up with something better.
    I actually kind of like the Bond theme during the hotel, but James Bond With Bongos would have been pretty cool too.
    I know the use of the DN music in FRWL was discussed in some other thread a few months ago, but I don't remember what was concluded about it.

I too like the Bond theme in the hotel scene just fine, but even then I must acknowledge there is a slight disconnect between the tempo of the music and the tempo of the scene. Ideally, the scene should feature slower paced, less bombastic music.
    I know the use of the DN music in FRWL was discussed in some other thread a few months ago, but I don't remember what was concluded about it.

I too like the Bond theme in the hotel scene just fine, but even then I must acknowledge there is a slight disconnect between the tempo of the music and the tempo of the scene. Ideally, the scene should feature slower paced, less bombastic music.

The volume changes so it's kind of funny. I can picture Connery casually snapping his fingers to it as he inspects the room for bugs.
    Music akin to what played when Lazenby checked his Piz Gloria room for wires would have been more appropriate really.
    I should really pop both DN and FRWL and compare those cues again. Now I'm wondering if it was another take for the boat scene.
    I find it fascinating when previous music is recycled in some form. Years ago I was having a movie night with some friends and we were watching some episodes of Maverick, and discovered there were music cues from THE BIG SLEEP used throughout. Also Adventures of Superman used cues from various B movies- sci fi films and noirs.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I hate saying it, but Roger looks ghastly through parts of AVTAK.

There's certainly a few angles that don't flatter him.