The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I like how creepy the guy in the mini-sub is. Just by putting thick glasses on him and shooting him in close up. Pretty bleak ending for him to die trapped under the water.
    I love Moore's line to Melina 'we're not dead yet'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,721
    I dig that keel hauling sequence a lot. even with lucky scuba tank left at the bottom of the ocean by Melina.
    'ATAC to St Cyrl's!' 'ATAC to St Cyril's!'
    Bibi shows character to stand up to Kristatos, when Jacoba Brink would probably have kept her there even though she knew he was a bad guy ' you need a sponsor', 'I'll find another one'.
    This rock climbing sequence is tense. I quite like the music when it is used. Another breathtaking location too.
    Apostls really goes above and beyond the henchman's usual efforts climbing out on the edge of the rock. He probably should have said something to his fellow guards before hand - raised the alarm at least. Still, this sequence feels very Fleming.
    There's another unusual touch I like - when Melina shoots the guard with the arrow, but he doesn't die and they tend to him instead.
    Gogol seems pretty chilled about everything - I'd be at least irritated with all the flying and time it took to get there! I do like that it ends with the ATAC destruction and 'detente'
    And it's Maraget and Denis Thatcher and end credits. Another enjoyable viewing of FYEO done. Great ski sequence, keel haul, warehouse raid and rock climbing are all standouts.
    I love FYEO. I should pop it in again soon.
    A high point for Moore no doubt. He is excellent in FYEO.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love FYEO. I should pop it in again soon.

It's a top ten for me - and my second favourite Roger film. It's also quite high on rewatchability. Love the settings and Moore is solid in it with a couple of moments I really like. Obviously the classic kicking of the car but also his rejection of Kristatos' suggestion for a drink when they're having dinner and his line to Melina 'we're not dead yet'.
    I love that stuff. FYEO has only gotten better and better for me over the years. Takes my #10 spot right now. Wish Moore had gotten another one like this.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Gogol seems pretty chilled about everything - I'd be at least irritated with all the flying and time it took to get there! I do like that it ends with the ATAC destruction and 'detente'
    Maybe he was relieved of the complications possessing the ATAC would bring. Not least for his return trip.

The filmmakers were very smart to have the Gogol character as a thread through their maneuvering of Cold War politics.
    Maybe he was relieved of the complications possessing the ATAC would bring. Not least for his return trip.

The filmmakers were very smart to have the Gogol character as a thread through their maneuvering of Cold War politics.

Agree - Gogol is a good presence in all his Bond appearances. It's a real shame he didn't get to cap it off with that TLD subplot which they gave to to Pushkin instead - but then again we wouldn't have gotten the wonderful interplay between Dalton and John Rhys Davies - which they both nail in that scene. Gogol is a complimentary character for the Soviets - smart, charming, principled and pragmatic. I like how he pops up in the field in FYEO and AVTAK (even waiting outside bathhouses apparently!)
    Props to the motorcyclists in the ski chase. That's some impressive stunt work. That bobsled chase is especially ballsy

It certainly was ballsy. So much so that an Italian stuntman was killed during it when one of the bobsleds overturned!
    Just started Licence to Kill. A great candidate for the most underrated Bond film.
    I always thought it was underrated. I've always loved LTK. Watched it recently.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't believe that any of these films are "underrated". People's opinions ebb and flow. To varying degrees they all have there detractors or defenders, but you can't fault someone for disliking what they dislike. That aside, I have to say that LTK seems to be very well beloved around here; I don't see, even with my dislike of the term in this context, it as "underrated" in any way. Then again, to the general public the Dalton films are probably the least beloved.

I meant to the general public - probably should have specified. TLD is also somewhat underrated, but not as much. I have seen LTK slammed as one of the worst in far too many rankings.

I think both of Tim's films are more than often dismissed. Anytime I've had a casual Bond conversation with an acquaintance, co-worker, or whatever, Tim's films seem to be overlooked. They may remember he was Bond, but little else about his era, with the exception that Pierce was supposed to have been Bond back then.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,274
    LTK was among the first Bond films I saw, and it holds a special place in my heart. It has been in my Top 10 forever, and TLD snags a very respectable #13 spot. It's a brief but nice era in Bond history.

Just got past the scene with Bond and Sharkey infiltrating Krest's building. Really good scene.
    It's great stuff. LTK has some of my favorite action sequences in the series. The climax of the film is particularly a big highlight for me. I like TLD too, but Sanchez and the superior second half of LTK to TLD's puts LTK above it for me.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It's great stuff. LTK has some of my favorite action sequences in the series. The climax of the film is particularly a big highlight for me. I like TLD too, but Sanchez and the superior second half of LTK to TLD's puts LTK above it for me.

Understandable. LTK has a far more satisfying finale and Sanchez is leagues beyond the villains in TLD.

Understandable. LTK has a far more satisfying finale and Sanchez is leagues beyond the villains in TLD.

I think so.

Q's visit in LTK is a really good touch. Also, while TLD is a more traditional Bond film, I think LTK better fits Dalton's portrayal.
    I still think none of the post LTK Bonds have had a climax as satisfying as LTK, or TLD for that matter.
    I still think none of the post LTK Bonds have had a climax as satisfying as LTK, or TLD for that matter.

I personally really like GE's, CR's, and SF's (really underrated one), but other than those than I would say LTK does dominate the other climaxes after it.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    The showdown between Bond and Whitaker in TLD was terrible, though. Could've been a satisfying climax but instead it's a lackluster scene with a disengaged Dalton and a villain who we didn't even care about. Really takes the punch out of the film, which had been very intense up until then.

Though I've generally noticed that Bond movies have weaker third acts and especially weak final confrontations. That makes the final showdown between Bond and Sanchez in the desert in LTK all the more special, imho. Filled to the brim with intensity and character.

I personally really like GE's, CR's, and SF's (really underrated one), but other than those than I would say LTK does dominate the other climaxes after it.

I like GE's as well, and SF. Not quite as much as LTK, though. Part of it might be I was a kid when I saw LTK in the cinema and much older for the Craig films. So the kid in me still loves the tanker chase.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    When I first bought the Bond 50 Bluray Boxset LTK was one of the films that really stood out to me, it looks visually stunning on BD. I always rated the film highly it often nudges toward my top films, usually after I have revisited it lol