The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    Then all of a sudden he looks pretty good in the back seat of the car with M. Next scene in the stables he looks horrific again.

I always thought he looked great in the PTS holding up the microchip and bottle of Vodka.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,721
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I forgot Barry samples Norman's score for this scene.

Are you sure he does? (I'm not.)

From DR NO- the music as Bond and Honey escape Crab Key plays during the section after Bond blows up the canisters and Morzeny burns.

I know, but I'm not sure that it was Barry's decision to reuse that theme. I'm not even sure if it's a re-recording or the original cue. Even if it's the former, he could've been following orders.

In FRWL, the Bond theme plays in the hotel scene. Barry wouldn't score the scene like that, so that was probably out of his hands. It's possible the same happened with the boat scene.

Good point. Never sounded like something Barry would have used. I wonder if it was Terence who made that call?
    I don't mind it, though I imagine Barry might have come up with something better.
    I actually kind of like the Bond theme during the hotel, but James Bond With Bongos would have been pretty cool too.

I always imagined it was Peter Hunt who made that decision. He seemed to have a lot of influence, and may even have been left to his own devices a little more in the first couple of Bond films to edit them as he pleased, especially when it came to applying the music.

If I recall correctly Hunt was the one who lacquered the Bond theme throughout Dr No - which added to Barry's annoyance at his lack of recognition for the iconic theme. He thought his arrangement of it was only to be used in the title sequence but found it played five or six times throughout the whole film instead. So I can imagine the editor saw the need for a quick music cue or two - and I know that Barry didn't have that much music prepared for the action sequences (helicopter and boat scenes). He seemed to almost write sequentially so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have anything for those moments.
    Ha ha, you amuse me, Mr. Bond.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    I think Gogol at the racecourse is a fine scene, but the nonsense with Gogol and Pola Ivanova definitely deserve to be cut (and Pola's scenes in general). They had a 57-year old Moore just bang with some chicks to pass time when the time was already superfluous. And the warehouse fight is terrible, even for the slapstick sort that it was tending towards. Definitely should've gone.

I agree the film is long and it adds to the weighed down, tired feeling of it all. Had it been properly trimmed to the intense moments then I doubt anyone could complain that it was boring.
    I love that whole sequence. She is very annoying but it is still a good scene. She might be my least favorite Bond girl.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    It's frightening to think that they probably actually wanted her to be screeching like that. She does the same thing during the Golden Gate fight, but thankfully I'm too occupied by Barry's amazing score to pay too much attention to that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It's frightening to think that they probably actually wanted her to be screeching like that. .

Glen probably got off on it.
    I know the use of the DN music in FRWL was discussed in some other thread a few months ago, but I don't remember what was concluded about it.

I too like the Bond theme in the hotel scene just fine, but even then I must acknowledge there is a slight disconnect between the tempo of the music and the tempo of the scene. Ideally, the scene should feature slower paced, less bombastic music.

The volume changes so it's kind of funny. I can picture Connery casually snapping his fingers to it as he inspects the room for bugs.
    Music akin to what played when Lazenby checked his Piz Gloria room for wires would have been more appropriate really.
    I should really pop both DN and FRWL and compare those cues again. Now I'm wondering if it was another take for the boat scene.
    I find it fascinating when previous music is recycled in some form. Years ago I was having a movie night with some friends and we were watching some episodes of Maverick, and discovered there were music cues from THE BIG SLEEP used throughout. Also Adventures of Superman used cues from various B movies- sci fi films and noirs.
    A mainstream example of recycled music I can recall is the 1976 western The Last Hard Men, which I believe dumped Leonard Rosenman's work in favor of reusing a Jerry Goldsmith's score from a 60s western.

I hate saying it, but Roger looks ghastly through parts of AVTAK.
    The worst shot IMO: 007.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/AVTAKJamesBond41.jpg

In other shots he looks wrinkled but still a bit youthful. Here he looks old and, well... old.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 15,843
    Make up and lighting can either really flatter an actor or do just the opposite. I remember Raymond Benson's James Bond Bedside Companion describing Roger's eyeliner as being so overdone it accentuated the wrinkles.
    Still, if I look just half as dashing and suave when I hit 57 as Roger does in even the most unflattering shots in VIEW, I'd be happy.

Watching

OHMSS

Half way through again and Bond is getting ready to meet Blofeld- GREAT score here.
    This is an old CBS/FOX VHS pan and scan copy, and I must say on my high def television it looks pretty good. Good colors. I'm going old school today.

Bond looks bored when Blofeld is talking about vaccines.
    A ruler, an eraser and a clip. MacGyver would be proud at Bond escape from his suite.
    It's true!!!!!

This scene with Ruby is pretty funny.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mr Kilt.
    Mr Kilt.

One of George's iconic outfits.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, 007!

I must say Blofeld has a nice Christmas Tree. I should decorate mine like that.
    I think George and Telly have great chemistry. They're a great Bond/Villain pair.

Bond get his hair pulled.

Every time I see that I think of when Clark Kent gets his hair pulled in Superman II.

This version is truncated here- the bits between the angels of death and shots of Bond looking at his watch are trimmed.
    Ski chase! I can remember late summer 1983 the ABC network had a Sunday night airing scheduled at some weird time like 7pm.

It didn't air due to some sports event and I had to wait 2 more years to finally see it.

I was disappointed as the promos seemed to showcase the ski chase and I was very curious about this film.
    I think George and Telly have great chemistry. They're a great Bond/Villain pair.

I agree. Though it might have even been stronger with Connery. Bold Arrogance v. Bold Arrogance.

I think so actually. I'd almost bet had Sean been willing to read the magnificent script he might have been enticed to come back. He might have even gotten himself back into TB shape for it. It's certainly one of the best written Bond's IMO.
    Tracy arrives as Bond hides out. One of my favorite moments in the series.

Always difficult to pick my number one favorite Bond girl- however, Diana Rigg as Tracy is a very strong contender.

As they pull out and George hides his face, I think Roger would have done his nod/smirk expression.
    Race car chase. Diana looks great behind the wheel here. An underrated chase scene, especially cool since Bond isn't driving.
    I moved to a rural area with lots of land and farms. We get heavy snow and sometimes when I'm driving I look around and picture myself pulling into to some barn like Bond and Tracy.

George is excellent in the proposal scene. Especially having never been an actor previously. It does help that he's surrounded in the film by an excellent cast.
    So were Bond and Tracy planning to leave the barn by skis,and go into town to contact London, or are they just goofing around and getting some casual morning exercise?
    Great Bond film. I never tire of OHMSS.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 1,469
    Right on @Birdleson! Thanks for reminding me...I just finished my viewing of it (OHMSS) a night or two ago and still have to add it to the "Bond viewing list" here. Such a great film...I guess I was in tune with you guys though I haven't logged on in a while.
    @ToTheRight...two things I noticed this last time I watched it...in the barn, Tracy or her legs must've been chilly in that cold barn in her skimpy outfit, though very attractive. And I noticed a few similarities with Indiana Jones movies...near the end when Blofeld jumps over the snow "bridge", it collapses, and Bond jumps over it and hangs on the edge...kind of like the scene with Indy in the temple at the start of Raiders. Then on the bobsled track, Blofeld pushing Bond's head/helmet into the ice on the side of the track reminded me of Indy hanging off the side of the tank in Last Crusade as he gets pushed into the dirt ledge. I wonder if Spielberg or his scriptwriter had thought of the OHMSS scenes.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    @ToTheRight...two things I noticed this last time I watched it...in the barn, Tracy or her legs must've been chilly in that cold barn in her skimpy outfit, though very attractive. And I noticed a few similarities with Indiana Jones movies...near the end when Blofeld jumps over the snow "bridge", it collapses, and Bond jumps over it and hangs on the edge...kind of like the scene with Indy in the temple at the start of Raiders. Then on the bobsled track, Blofeld pushing Bond's head/helmet into the ice on the side of the track reminded me of Indy hanging off the side of the tank in Last Crusade as he gets pushed into the dirt ledge. I wonder if Spielberg or his scriptwriter had thought of the OHMSS scenes.

I never thought of the snow bridge jump before, but that is very INDY. Same with the bobsled scene.
    I think Spielberg was a pretty big Bond fan. Interestingly at the time of RAIDERS, OHMSS wasn't getting the appreciation it has now, especially with the ABC re-edit. Maybe Spielberg saw something in the film other fans didn't back then?

I always notice Tracy's legs in the barn, too. :)
    In reality she probably would have been freezing. It's not like Bond built a nice cozy fire while on the hideout from Spectre. Come to think of it, I wonder how warm Bond's ski out would have been? Roger always looked to be dressed in layers during his snow scenes.
    The first half of NSNA is far more entertaining and moves at a much brisker pace than the second half.

Once Fatima is blown up, the film's pace slows considerably. I do like the bit on the boat, the Palmyra escape, and the somewhat tame battle in the caves. As limp as the underwater fight with Largo is, I'll take it over the climax of SP any day, or TWINE........or QOS.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The audio commentary on the DVD is very interesting, not least for details on the production budget dwindling by the time the cave scenes were shot (so obviously in a studio). Or that the Michel Legrand musical tracks were so obtuse they were actually rearranged and applied to scenes other than what he wrote them for.
    Recommended.
    Hearing about how shambolic the production and development of NSNA was I'm always relatively impressed how it holds together. The final third is a damp squib of a finale but until then it's entertaining - Connery and Klaus Maria Brandeur elevate every scene they're in - especially opposite each other. And I prefer the Shrublands sequence in NSNA to TB's.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,281
    Started OHMSS - my second favorite Bond film. It has:

-My favorite Bond girl (Tracy)
    -My favorite Bond villain (Telly Savalas's Blofeld)
    -My favorite Bond soundtrack

Those are some huge pluses. I'm only on the PTS now, which would probably rank somewhere in the middle of my list of PTSs.
    It's funny, but even though the PTS is decent, it is probably one of my least enjoyed scenes because the rest of the film is so good. Lazenby is a good Bond; I admit sometimes is rough around the edges, but on the whole really he does a good job.