What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Nolan is at his best with film experiments. But he has respect for Bond and Bond films.
    I don't like the Bond with kids idea expressed elsewhere regarding writer Logan, and I don't even like Young Bond. That is absolutely not my interest to see on screen.

It was great to see Bond's first two kills and his first mission. But he was already Bond with a career in the military and the important elements. I never want to see less than that, even in flashback.

Definitely recognize the non-linear storytelling element, but it doesn't have to go back that far.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,400
    Personally, I'm in two minds as a lot depends on what the story is for Bond 25:

Route A:

Some names to consider:

Yann Demange ('71, Top Boy)
    Corinna McFarlane (The Silent Storm)
    David Mackenzie (Starred Up, Perfect Sense)
    Justin Chadwick (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, The First Grader)
    Susanna White (Our Kind of Traitor, Parade's End)
    Lenny Abrahamson (Frank, Room)
    Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game, Headhunters)
    Justin Kurzel (Macbeth, The Snowtown Murders)
    John Maclean (Slow West)

It's slightly vain of me to quote myself. BUT......I did accurately guess two of the shortlisted candidates way back in December 2015.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,438
    Those directers i also have considerd in past and take look back.

James Marsh. English. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1016428/

Worked with Andrea Risebourg who i like see as Bondgirl. I hoped on QOS refreshing. What he did since then: Made The Theory of Everything with another actres i like to see as Bondgirl. On the moment making a movie with Daniel Craig girlfriend Rachel Weisz and music is by composer who working with that Denise guy. Also making cia movie on the moment ''All the Old Knives''.

Richard Kwietniowski. English. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0477193/ John Hurt (who earlier this year past a way.) then possible star in movie too. Based it on trailer of Owning Mahowny.

Michael J. Bassett. English. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1068186/
    Search for Skyfall fans and people who liked Nolan. Solomon Kane have some Batman Begins cinematography. Also for some time i search to a warr directer. Give me feeling he be a bit of Nolan and Edward Zwick. And at same time mabey another choose next to Alfonso Cuarón and Rob Bowman.

Maxime Alexandre. Belgium/Italian. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1131817/ only direct two movies and who also his only two movies written by him self. As Cinematographer for some movies of Michael J. Basset. In first place i based it on trailer of Christopher Roth who is a bit CR/QOS and is his second directed movie. Also thaught out of box thriller/horror cinematopher/directer. In meantime he be cinematographer of The 9th Life of Louis Drax.

Bernard Rose. English. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0741262/ Thriller, Drama and comedy directer.
    Mr Nice (2010) & The Kreutzer Sonata (2008).
    Nolan is at his best with film experiments. But he has respect for Bond and Bond films.
    I don't like the Bond with kids idea expressed elsewhere regarding writer Logan, and I don't even like Young Bond. That is absolutely not my interest to see on screen.

It was great to see Bond's first two kills and his first mission. But he was already Bond with a career in the military and the important elements. I never want to see less than that, even in flashback.

Definitely recognize the non-linear storytelling element, but it doesn't have to go back that far.
    Don't worry @RichardTheBruce, these are only guesses as to what Nolan was implying when he mentioned his pitch for "a concept that hadn't been done yet". None of us actually know what that is. Also, I think that reminds me of one gripe I had with CR. It's not really clear what his background was. Vesper takes a stab at it on the train by assessing his taste in watches, but he neither denies or confirms it. And another thing worth remembering is that Bond didn't have a career in the "military", he had a nautical background in the Navy and was once a Commander on a submarine. Maybe the modern equivalent could be the Special Boat Service (SBS) as it's the special forces unit of the Royal Navy in a future Nolan movie?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Navy isn t the military now? And where is it mentioned that Bond commanded a submarine?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondjames wrote: »
    All I can say is EON should have cast Cate Blanchett in a Bond film. It's probably too late now, but she is going to show everyone how brilliant she is (as if there was any doubt) in Thor Ragnarok. I might add that I find her extremely attractive as well.

Yes, please.
  • dogtor_nodogtor_no on the set of bond 25
    I would like to see Kevin Smith direct Bond 25, i think he would add a sorely needed comedic element!
    patb wrote: »
    The danger with Nolan possibly is that he would bring his own style too much
    That could be a problem with other directors. Not with Nolan, his style is perfect for Bond.
  • dogtor_nodogtor_no on the set of bond 25
    That could be a problem with other directors. Not with Nolan, his style is perfect for Bond.

Yes, if Bond was Batman
    Denis Villeneuve. - He has a great ability in adding complexity to a seemingly simple character. The general public stereotypes Bond to being a simple 'drink martinis, shoot bad guys, get girls' character, and I'd love to see how Villeneuve can go beyond that.

It also seems like the producers are interested in exploring Bond's past. Villeneuve is a huge talent with these themes. One of his indie movies, Incendies, is all about this in an amazing story. He has my vote.
    dogtor_no wrote: »

Yes, if Bond was Batman

This.
  • shobairshobair London
    Nolan selected as BOND 25 Director
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No, he's not. At least not yet. Not until official announcements are made will I make such presumptions.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi I think we have the 2017 edition of the classic B-) Ralph Fiennes B-).

;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm beginning to suspect that much, @DaltonCraig007.
    I'm thinking Nolan as well, too much rumor & buzz for no reason
    Seems to be the most likely. Things are lining up for it to be real. And I’m slowly warming up to the idea. In theory I think Bond 25 could be very good - maybe even great.
    Gore Verbinski
    Jon Turteltaub
    Mike Newell
    Stephen Sommers
    Jon Favreau
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Verbinski and Favreau could both be interesting. Not sure about the others, but it s a strange , strange world we live in, Master Mike.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,438
    Jan Dunn. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1152175/ Famale English directer. She wins a movie price she get by Sean Connery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Dunn

• ThomosGryeThomosGrye India
    Boyle directed the wonderful opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics and he is a decent choice. I'm a huge fan of Bond series. It will be interesting to know who will play villain in the film. Eagerly waiting for the film.
    Hollywood Movies
    I've been thinking Ron Howard would make a highly entertaining Bond film ever since watching Rush.

Sounds like he's done a very decent salvage job on Solo as well
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Howard seems a save bet in the sense that he doesn´t deliver garbage. But he also doesn´t seem to give his films a strong identity. As one reviewer wrote about Solo: "I don´t have a bad feeling about this. I have no feeling about this."
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    We desperately need Christopher Nolan to direct a Bond film at some point. Preferably he would kick off an new era on a high, and help establish a new tone and direction for the series. It is my opinion that the current territory has been raked dry, and we are in need of a bold shift and a director with the vision to provide. In the modern landscape, no fits the bill better than Nolan. Not only does he represent the prestige cinema that Bond often is linked to, but he has a passionate affinity for cinematic traditions such as using real celluloid film instead of modern glossy digital rubbish, and creating in-camera would nowadays would be mocked up in post by computers. Bond is becoming a harder property to get right, when action films are becoming a dime a dozen and the more "dirty" aspects are frowned upon. There needs to be a way to keep what we love intact, and embrace a new style which will set the franchise fair for the next decade and beyond. Right now, it feels like we are living movie to movie, and more or less winging it. There doesn't appear to be a clear direction or goal in mind, just recycling what we have seen for 10 years now. Its time to break the cycle, and that means more than just delivering a solid entry, it means delivering a new definition for what Bond is and can be. I'm just not sure where we are anymore, seemed to have lost our way and drifted into the mists without a paddle.
    I find Nolan's films to be a bit of a bore, to be honest. Haven't really taken a liking to any of them.
    We desperately need Christopher Nolan to direct a Bond film at some point. Preferably he would kick off an new era on a high, and help establish a new tone and direction for the series. It is my opinion that the current territory has been raked dry, and we are in need of a bold shift and a director with the vision to provide. In the modern landscape, no fits the bill better than Nolan. Not only does he represent the prestige cinema that Bond often is linked to, but he has a passionate affinity for cinematic traditions such as using real celluloid film instead of modern glossy digital rubbish, and creating in-camera would nowadays would be mocked up in post by computers. Bond is becoming a harder property to get right, when action films are becoming a dime a dozen and the more "dirty" aspects are frowned upon. There needs to be a way to keep what we love intact, and embrace a new style which will set the franchise fair for the next decade and beyond. Right now, it feels like we are living movie to movie, and more or less winging it. There doesn't appear to be a clear direction or goal in mind, just recycling what we have seen for 10 years now. Its time to break the cycle, and that means more than just delivering a solid entry, it means delivering a new definition for what Bond is and can be. I'm just not sure where we are anymore, seemed to have lost our way and drifted into the mists without a paddle.
    And what has that got to do with you wanting Nolan?

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I find Nolan's films to be a bit of a bore, to be honest. Haven't really taken a liking to any of them.

Same here.
    I’m very intrigued by the idea of a Christopher Nolan-directed Bond film.

Firstly, it would be absolutely beautiful visually. But I think he would require a complete clean slate. Which would mean no Fiennes, Whishaw or Harris. Which would be a huge loss of talent.

Looking over Nolan’s films, you can get an idea of what he would do with the series.

I think we’d get something with a younger Bond in the army before joining the SAS. Then M would scout him out as the perfect candidate for a covert mission. Basically, Bond wouldn’t earn his 00 till the very end of the film. Not too dissimilar to the idea that Michael G Wilson had for a Bond prequel in 1987. Perhaps they’d even let Nolan do it as a period piece? Especially after the success of Dunkirk.

There’s even a good chance that an total unknown could play Bond. I could see someone like Henry Cavill in 2006 playing the role. Now, you could have Taron Egerton or Jack O’Connell.
    Yeah great, let´s have a director who almost always makes a huge point of a protagonist being obsessed with the idea of being responsible for the death of a loved one make a film about a man with a license to kill. Brilliant idea. Let´s turn a devoted, level-headed patriot who handles his license to kill with professionalism into a psychological invalid driven by his obsession.

Looking over Nolan’s films, you can get an idea of what he would do with the series.
    I agree, and I see hardly anything that would suit or benefit a Bond film.