What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    Thinking of Tyldum, who met the producers a few years ago - who else do we know have met with Barbara and/or Michael in recent years? Wouldn't be strange for them to go back to one of these directors if they're available at the right time (for B26).
    Reportedly Nolan, MacKenzie, Demange & Villeneuve, among others.

All interesting picks, if you ask me. Never been a Nolan fan, though.
    Thinking of Tyldum, who met the producers a few years ago - who else do we know have met with Barbara and/or Michael in recent years? Wouldn't be strange for them to go back to one of these directors if one of them is available at the right time (for B26).

I believe Morten Tyldum was someone Eon spoke to about directing Bond 24.

As I understand, Eon really wanted either a 'name' director for Bond 24 or a rising talent.

Variety reported that Eon met with:
    https://variety.com/2013/film/news/who-will-eon-and-sony-tap-to-direct-next-bond-movie-1200488455/
    Nicholas Winding Refn: A seriously cool and interesting choice, though maybe a little too idiosyncratic and obscure for mainstream appetites.
    David Yates: A boring a flaccid suggestion
    Tom Hooper: Dull suggestion. He would feel like a supporting act to Sam Mendes's approach.
    Ang Lee: Somewhat inspired and excitingly risky
    Shane Black: Probably the outsider on the list and the most surprising. It's not a bad suggestion.

I think the names for Bond 25 were way more exciting. You had names that got genuine cineastes excited. People like David MacKenzie, Yann Demange and Denis Villenueve were truly exciting options.

It's a shame that Eon decided to go down the road of a 'name' director again in Danny Boyle.

It was. I found a quote from him, saying: "I can confirmed I've had a meeting with Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson. They are fans of « Headhunters», and wanted to know if I'm available at the moment. They also wanted me to read a script."

This must have been before Mendes returned.

Haven't heard all these names listed here mentioned before - only Winding Refn and Black. Winding Refn could be interesting, but probably an artsy option.
    Tomas Alfredson,David Leitch,Antoine Fuqua,Peter Jackson,James Mangold,Jon Watts,
    Patrick Hughes to name a few
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Peyton Reed did a smashing job, taking over Ant-Man from Wright. The sequel was just as enjoyable. Is he available to save Bond 25?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    I'd prefer an action director over a drama director. Heck, why not hire one of the second unit directors from one of the last four Craig Bond films? The second unit directors understand 'action'. John Glen went from second unit to director. He had the longest run as director.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,441
    Stuard Baid (editor) will be only one i consider with that option.
    But i think there better ask him back as editor and take The Vantage Point directer Pete Travis he work with (and made him un avaible for QOS) or Roger Donaldson. If not Marc Forster. Peter Weir.

Paramount/Universal ask baid as wagner (editor of DAD) fixer of Mission Impossible 2 and Mgm correct there two mistakes twice. Baid returns for Skyfall.

But on this moment i like what Lee Smith did on Spectre. His return as editor and Peter Weir is something i like to see. Him and some of other directers too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,894
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I'd prefer an action director over a drama director. Heck, why not hire one of the second unit directors from one of the last four Craig Bond films? The second unit directors understand 'action'. John Glen went from second unit to director. He had the longest run as director.

My thoughts exactly. From outside the Bond family, right now, i'd say Jaume Collect-Serra or possibly Isaac Florentine (both know their way around action thrillers). A few years ago, I would have suggested Peter Hyams (now retired it seems).
    Some interesting names being mentioned here now. Will be interesting to see who EON hires.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    And here we have it. He's said he wants to do one, and I for one would be very glad if he did.

There are key moments within the series where you see either a change in era, a change in Bond, or a change in tone, I would like to be there for something like that.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/christopher-mcquarrie-reveals-bond-movie-hed-want-make-exclusive-135754188.html
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And here we have it. He's said he wants to do one, and I for one would be very glad if he did.

There are key moments within the series where you see either a change in era, a change in Bond, or a change in tone, I would like to be there for something like that.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/christopher-mcquarrie-reveals-bond-movie-hed-want-make-exclusive-135754188.html

I would love for him to have a crack at one.
    I wouldn´t.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I wouldn´t.
    May I ask why @boldfinger? He's impressed me with pretty much everything he's done, including Valkyrie which he wrote the screenplay for. The guy has a good read on how to create and maintain tension as well as understanding what makes characters tick.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 7,976
    I wouldn´t.
    May I ask why @boldfinger? He's impressed me with pretty much everything he's done, including Valkyrie which he wrote the screenplay for. The guy has a good read on how to create and maintain tension as well as understanding what makes characters tick.

Yes, and he knows how it includes a light touch and a bit of humor without being heavy handed and breaking the tension of a suspenseful sequence; this was masterfully done within the Opera sequence of Rogue Nation

• edited November 2018 Posts: 5,767
    @bondjames, while I find the writing for Valkyrie top notch, and I love M:I5, I wasn´t particularly impressed with M:I6 as far as the Storytelling is concerned, and the first Jack Reacher was Pretty good but not fantastic.
    I am not fond of McQuarries choices of Color and light, I find his films´ look distinctive, but it´s not my flavor.

And I also don´t like directors´ quips that they would like to be there at a Moment of Change. I want directors who have the balls to make also a "continuing" Bond film great. I don´t understand why everybody wants to innovate. The Knowledge should have spread by now that Innovation in this context is usually an excuse for not being able to deliver true Innovation, which would be a compelling Story using well-known Elements IMO.
    @bondjames, while I find the writing for Valkyrie top notch, and I love M:I5, I wasn´t particularly impressed with M:I6 as far as the Storytelling is concerned, and the first Jack Reacher was Pretty good but not fantastic.
    I am not fond of McQuarries choices of Color and light, I find his films´ look distinctive, but it´s not my flavor.
    Fair enough @boldfinger. I've liked all of his films but I get where you're coming from. That opening sniper sequence in Jack Reacher is absolutely fantastic though. Amazing tension. One must keep in mind that they made that one on a small budget and despite that it's quite decent film, and reminiscent of smaller scale efforts from earlier years.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I wouldn´t.

Yes, and he knows how it includes a light touch and a bit of humor without being heavy handed and breaking the tension of a suspenseful sequence; this was masterfully done within the Opera sequence of Rogue Nation
    Very true. Just because TC is such a daredevil some folks make the mistake of thinking this is all about stunts. It's far more than that. The Opera sequence is one of the best things I've seen in film in the last decade. There's very little in the way of stuntwork there. Rather it's a beautiful update of the famous sequence in The Man Who Knew Too Much and very suspenseful. McQuarrie has said that it's about the sequence itself and not about the stunts. If one gets the sequence right the action and stuntwork will flow organically from there.
    @bondjames, I totally agree. And the western shootout in the quarry (what a coincidence, haha) is Genius. But Overall I find the film not that fantastic, and that has Nothing to do with Budget. I love smaller scale as much as big scale.
    @bondjames, I totally agree. And the western shootout in the quarry (what a coincidence, haha) is Genius. But Overall I find the film not that fantastic, and that has Nothing to do with Budget. I love smaller scale as much as big scale.
    I totally forgot about that sequence. Brilliant stuff. I'm due a rewatch soon. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I enjoy both the Reacher films, although I admit the sequel is nowhere as good.

I just liked the interactions between Cruise, Cobie Smulders and Danika Yarosh. Smulders in particular looked like she could really kick some serious 'a'.
    Doesn´t she Always, @bondjames ;-)?
    Quite true @boldfinger. She's great in Avengers too. Hope to see more of her in the next one.
    https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/1009771-exclusive-mission-impossible-fallout-bike-chase-clip

I just watched the above Clip multiple times. For some reason I don´t find that sequence exciting. I think it´s the camera angles, they are too many times close to the bike, there are not enough wide shots. I find it hard to relate to because those perspectives are totally improbable in real life. In Ronin there are lots of shots that make me feel like an incidental bystander, which makes the chases there so incredibly thrilling. I don´t see that in Fallout. Which I believe is Overall my biggest Problem with this film. Tom doesn´t do me a favor by insisting on being seen doing his Stunts.
    Morten Tyldum who directed the excellent Headhunters, the Imitation Game and first episode in the Jack Ryan TV series.
    On the bad side he directed the scifi movie Passengers?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/1009771-exclusive-mission-impossible-fallout-bike-chase-clip

I just watched the above Clip multiple times. For some reason I don´t find that sequence exciting. I think it´s the camera angles, they are too many times close to the bike, there are not enough wide shots. I find it hard to relate to because those perspectives are totally improbable in real life. In Ronin there are lots of shots that make me feel like an incidental bystander, which makes the chases there so incredibly thrilling. I don´t see that in Fallout. Which I believe is Overall my biggest Problem with this film. Tom doesn´t do me a favor by insisting on being seen doing his Stunts.
    @boldfinger, I'm going to avoid watching this clip until I get my hands on the 4K release. I'll probably view the film again at Christmas and then can discuss this. I can't remember everything about that chase, but I believe they were trying to go for a different feel in comparison to the similar sequence in MI:RN, which I did prefer. I think it worked in the context of the film though. With Fallout it wasn't so much about the individual scenes. Rather, I think it was about the mood and approach of the entire film, which I thought came together very well.
    renno61 wrote: »
    Morten Tyldum who directed the excellent Headhunters, the Imitation Game and first episode in the Jack Ryan TV series.
    I have to say I enjoyed Passengers very much. It's one of the most crisp and beautifully lensed space set films I've seen in the last few decades. It has a great underlying message wrapped in a sci-fi romance. I only saw The Shining for the first time a few months back, and now realize how it borrowed elements from that film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    He was under consideration at least once.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,280
    jake24 wrote: »
    He was under consideration at least once.

He met with Barbara and Michael, actually. If I remember correctly, they wanted to know his availability, and for him to read a script. This was before Sam Mendes was announced as the director of SP.

https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/er-det-mulig-blir-den-nye-bond-regissoren-norsk/62802289
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Interesting comment. I just rewatched the scene and I enjoyed it quite a bit, and in fact more than I did in theaters. However, I do feel I would've enjoyed it even more had they thrown in some static camera shots capturing the action, like in Ronin. Here, the camera is in motion following the vehicles practically in every shot. I can't say it's an objectively inferior way of shooting the scene but it does feel a tad monotonous to me. Luckily, I find the action itself very good, which makes up for that.
    If you haven't seen Headhunters Nikolaj Coster-Waldau plays a very good bad guy but I could also see him as Bond, a good film
    If you haven't seen Headhunters Nikolaj Coster-Waldau plays a very good bad guy but I could also see him as Bond, a good film
    Didn´t he Play the guy at the SPECTRE Meeting whom Hinx kills as his introduction?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Didn´t he Play the guy at the SPECTRE Meeting whom Hinx kills as his introduction?

That is not him.
    The two biggest names that come up in discussing possible directors are , in no order of preference, Christopher Nolan and Christopher McQuarrie.
    It’s safe to say that their Bonds would be quite different. Between these two, which Christopher would you choose?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Isn’t choosing Macquarie like an admitted defeat. Isn’t it weak? Like getting Greengrass to direct a bond film. Copying the style sure- (QOS). But just using the director seems a bit sad to me
    Isn’t choosing Macquarie like an admitted defeat. Isn’t it weak? Like getting Greengrass to direct a bond film. Copying the style sure- (QOS). But just using the director seems a bit sad to me

Not in the least ,he’s a strong writer and storyteller who doesn’t sacrifice character for action, nor does he wallow in melodrama at the expense of thrilling set pieces that serve the story rather than dictate it; McQuarrie would be an excellent Director for Bond and would make it unique from any other film he’s done.