What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

I always though John Carpenter could do an interesting bond film but alas I think the ship has sailed
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,087
    It would be nice for Martin Campbell and Phil Meheux to be brought back for old times sake. I believe they owe him considering how much he has done for Bond. Alternatively, maybe he could do a mission impossible film in future, if Mcquirre steps down.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sadly Martin Campbell is too old to helm another Bond film. He'll be 76 by the time Bond 25 comes out. We'd be looking at a guy in his 80's potentially for Bond 26. Just not practical anymore.
    I don't think EON owe him, it's not like they forced him to direct. He directed two very popular Bond films, that were the debut films for two very popular Bonds. Sadly he's too old to direct another.
    That really depends on the story they are going to tell. There's plenty of directors still putting out good work in their 70's. Heck look at George Miller, he made one of the best action movies in recent memory, and he is no spring chicken. Plus, Martin Campbell is built for directing action - it's his speciality.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,690
    George Miller was 67 years old when he directed Fury Road. Assuming Bond 26 comes out in 2022 (3 year gap after Craig's last), Campbell will be 79 years old.
    Yeah, and Eastwood was what 83/4 when he directed American Sniper?

Not to mention that Campbell just demonstrated his ability with the superb The Foreigner.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A film with a $59 million dollar budget. Why not give an example closer to both Campbell's age and the production scale of a Bond film?
    Ridley Scott.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The point is, campbell is too good of a director so his age doesn’t matter. They should take the risk because the reward is worth it.
    The point is, campbell is too good of a director so his age doesn’t matter. They should take the risk because the reward is worth it.

Yes, he has never let them down before, and The Foreigner proves he still has the knack.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Forget Nolan and all those types...if you want a great action thriller that can tell an engaging story and deliver majorly on the action and the director being British, get Gareth Evans!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Forget Nolan and all those types...if you want a great action thriller that can tell an engaging story and deliver majorly on the action and the director being British, get Gareth Evans!

Evans would be an interesting choice.

I believe that whichever director is chosen nowadays, it's ALWAYS going to polarize the community. Some want Nolan desperately, others would kill to keep him away from the series. Same with Villeneuve or Mendes.

I'm quite frankly surprised that Boyle has been somewhat favourably welcomed here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »

That immediately guarantees the action would be firing on all cylinders, that's for damn sure.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    So I recently watched Yann Demange's '71. I had no expectations and went in blind. I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The film has a kinetic quality (similar in that respect to films I've recently watched of Danny Boyle) and the performances are really good. I'd go so far as to say that the film may have potentially inspired Christopher Nolan's approach with Dunkirk (some cast members are in both and both films have sparse dialogue - it's more about motion).

I can't say I have enough to go on re: Demange, but this is a good film and I can appreciate EON's interest in him before he breaks out, especially if they were going to lock him in for a multi-contract scenario.
    Steve McQueen. We need to see Bond toil in unbroken takes of suffering.

Plus he's British so all's jolly good.
    Steve McQueen. We need to see Bond toil in unbroken takes of suffering.

Plus he's British so all's jolly good.

This suggestion actually has me really excited.

Steve McQueen is a terrific artist and great filmmaker. he'd have been great for Craig's finale (and a far better suited filmmaker than Boyle, who seems more appropriate for a reboot).

I really think the embargo on American directors is a little redundant now. I'd love Fincher to do a Bond (another filmmaker that would have been suited to Daniel Craig more than Boyle).

One filmmaker that has really done terrific work of late is Cary Joji Fukunga. True Detective was terrific and the action scenes were showstealing. His trailer for his next project also looks terrific

Ridley Scott or Steve McQueen would be great.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Scott is past it.
    Probably true. Wasn’t his Getty film supposed to be okay?
    I really think the embargo on American directors is a little redundant now

Not for me. I don't think American directors get British sarcasm or general banter or culture. We would see a caricature, not a nuanced picture.
    I really think the embargo on American directors is a little redundant now

Not for me. I don't think American directors get British sarcasm or general banter or culture. We would see a caricature, not a nuanced picture.

Because the recent Bond films have been nailing this so well, yeah?

Richard Maiubaum was an American and he wrote some of the best screenplays the series ever had.

Such nonsense. We've missed out on some of the best directing talent of the last 50 plus years because of this stupid ‘rule’.

Time it was ditched.
    I had this fantasy of the directors David Slade and Morten Tyldum taking turns doing grounded and lighter Bond films, respectively. Tyldum has been considered before and Slade has promise though he really needs help getting back to movies.

I still want Duncan Jones to make a Bond film but he seems to have other interests.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I always get the wrong idea on this subject line.
    2847c57cd154f6fac57f82607cd0bbc7.jpgc_matt_helm_book_01.jpg
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    I had this fantasy of the directors David Slade and Morten Tyldum taking turns doing grounded and lighter Bond films, respectively. Tyldum has been considered before and Slade has promise though he really needs help getting back to movies.

I still want Duncan Jones to make a Bond film but he seems to have other interests.

Tyldum had a meeting with the Broccoli's a few years back.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,980
    As with Star Wars, what seems to be a winning formula is a strong script an a solid director to put it on the screen; so many of the names being touted are big names and are, or want to be auteurs
    A solid director I would talk to is Greg McClean. He handles action and character really well and his films look really goof . Rogue, the giant croc film, is gorgeous and has a great score.
    talos7 wrote: »
    As with Star Wars, what seems to be a winning formula is a strong script an a solid director to put it on the screen; so many of the names being touted are big names and are, or want to be auteurs
    A solid director I would talk to is Greg McClean. He handles action and character really well and his films look really goof . Rogue, the giant croc film, is gorgeous and has a great score.
    I saw Rogue many years back. I don't remember much about it now, but remember finding it enjoyable at the time. I have the Belko Experiment in my collection but have yet to watch it.

I know he's been mentioned previously, but I wouldn't be averse to Alex Garland for B26. He's worked with Hodge before too I believe, so there could be some transition on the writing front. I'm not sure if he's ever been queried on possible interest to helm Bond.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,281
    Thinking of Tyldum, who met the producers a few years ago - who else do we know have met with Barbara and/or Michael in recent years? Wouldn't be strange for them to go back to one of these directors if one of them is available at the right time (for B26).
    Thinking of Tyldum, who met the producers a few years ago - who else do we know have met with Barbara and/or Michael in recent years? Wouldn't be strange for them to go back to one of these directors if they're available at the right time (for B26).
    Reportedly Nolan, MacKenzie, Demange & Villeneuve, among others.
    Thinking of Tyldum, who met the producers a few years ago - who else do we know have met with Barbara and/or Michael in recent years? Wouldn't be strange for them to go back to one of these directors if one of them is available at the right time (for B26).

I believe Morten Tyldum was someone Eon spoke to about directing Bond 24.

As I understand, Eon really wanted either a 'name' director for Bond 24 or a rising talent.

Variety reported that Eon met with:
    https://variety.com/2013/film/news/who-will-eon-and-sony-tap-to-direct-next-bond-movie-1200488455/
    Nicholas Winding Refn: A seriously cool and interesting choice, though maybe a little too idiosyncratic and obscure for mainstream appetites.
    David Yates: A boring a flaccid suggestion
    Tom Hooper: Dull suggestion. He would feel like a supporting act to Sam Mendes's approach.
    Ang Lee: Somewhat inspired and excitingly risky
    Shane Black: Probably the outsider on the list and the most surprising. It's not a bad suggestion.

I think the names for Bond 25 were way more exciting. You had names that got genuine cineastes excited. People like David MacKenzie, Yann Demange and Denis Villenueve were truly exciting options.

It's a shame that Eon decided to go down the road of a 'name' director again in Danny Boyle.
    Agree that McKenzie and Demange would have been more intriguing choices than Boyle.
    I believe Roger Michell (Notting Hill, Changing Lanes, Enduring Love) was approached for both CR and QOS!