What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I've said this before, and after watching Annihilation, I have to emphasize it: ALEX GARLAND. (And he could write the script, too.)

He traffics in sci-fi, but I don't care. Stunning visuals. Terrific use of music (who'd even think of CSN's "Helplessly Hoping" as a suitable song for a film about the end of humankind?)
    Everyone here knows I believe Christopher Nolan should be the one who kicks-off the next era, but I have been wondering, who would be the best director to create a modern day DR. NO? Who cound direct a smaller-scale movie as stylish, sexy, exciting and fresh as the first Bond movie was back in 1962? I believe the answer is TOM FORD.
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    Everyone here knows I believe Christopher Nolan should be the one who kicks-off the next era, but I have been wondering, who would be the best director to create a modern day DR. NO? Who cound direct a smaller-scale movie as stylish, sexy, exciting and fresh as the first Bond movie was back in 1962? I believe the answer is TOM FORD.

I second that. As for a smaller-scale yet stylish, Dr. No-esque story, I'd kill to see a fleshed-out adaptation of The Hildebrand Rarity, where Bond is invited by his contact to join a crass American billionaire and his Stepford-smiling wife on a pleasure cruise/rare fish finding trip. Over the course of the trip and its stops along the African coast, OO7 learns that the cruise is a facade for an arms deal, but that goes awry when Mr. Krest is mysteriously killed shortly before the stop at Mombasa.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Chris Addison (English, 1971)
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1128050

The Hustle (2019) made by MGM (and released in VS and The Netherlands by Universal)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298644/videoplayer/vi1566882329?ref_=tt_ov_vi
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I’m not happy with any none Brit Directing. British Directors only for me.

I second that. As for a smaller-scale yet stylish, Dr. No-esque story, I'd kill to see a fleshed-out adaptation of The Hildebrand Rarity, where Bond is invited by his contact to join a crass American billionaire and his Stepford-smiling wife on a pleasure cruise/rare fish finding trip. Over the course of the trip and its stops along the African coast, OO7 learns that the cruise is a facade for an arms deal, but that goes awry when Mr. Krest is mysteriously killed shortly before the stop at Mombasa.

Sounds great!
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Nolan 2 years ago on possibly directing a Bond film: "...you would have to be needed. Those guys [EON] are doing fantastically well on their own." https://youtube.com/watch?v=yc3d6ZoWwZ4

Well, they aren't doing so well anymore, and Nolan is VERY much needed.
    If it were possible I’d have Terrence Young direct them all. He was near perfect.
    Someone British.

And only British.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    If it were possible I’d have Terrence Young direct them all. He was near perfect.
    He was indeed, for as Long as he did them. However, if he had done all of them, he might have run out of Motivation sooner or later.

Guess we can throw the Avengers' Russo Brothers hats into the ring...they've signed a deal with MGM to develop remakes of their library titles like The Thomas Crown Affair

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-agbo-joe-russo-anthony-russo-mgm-library-the-thomas-crown-affair-1202591932/

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Helmers Joe & Anthony Russo’s AGBO To Godfather Remakes Of MGM Library Title IP
    Steven Spielberg and Steven Spielberg.
    Mack_Bolan wrote: »
    Steven Spielberg and Steven Spielberg.

One at a time please.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    After rewatching Taken the other day i'd say Pierre Morel

Not sure if he's been mentioned but boy this guy can handle action. Fights, gunplay and car chases all top notch. He would suit Craig's Bond down to the ground.

He also made the good actioner From Paris With Love

I have yet to see Peppermint
    After rewatching Taken the other day i'd say Pierre Morel

Not sure if he's been mentioned but boy this guy can handle action. Fights, gunplay and car chases all top notch. He would suit Craig's Bond down to the ground.

He also made the good actioner From Paris With Love

I have yet to see Peppermint
    He was one I was hoping for since Quantum of Solace time... but fear we may never get him
    antovolk wrote: »
    Guess we can throw the Avengers' Russo Brothers hats into the ring...they've signed a deal with MGM to develop remakes of their library titles like The Thomas Crown Affair

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-agbo-joe-russo-anthony-russo-mgm-library-the-thomas-crown-affair-1202591932/

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Helmers Joe & Anthony Russo’s AGBO To Godfather Remakes Of MGM Library Title IP

Oh great, remakes.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Yann Demange still needs a Bond film.
    Yann Demange still needs a Bond film.

I would still have been interested to see what he would have done with Bond 25...'71 was a fantastic thriller.
    Bring back Martin Campbell!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2019 Posts: 4,437
    Mabey another Martin: Martin McDonagh

2953.jpg?width=965&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=c9cd147957542cfdb3e3909b31e17ee8
    With 4th writer of Bond 25, Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Because of time (2 years and 8 months after Bond 25) i prefer Bond 26 should have new directer. So Bond 26 for release in atleast December 2022.
    As someone who has always been hopeful Christopher Nolan would join the Bond franchise, I'm worried about his next movie "Tenet" which comes out next year and is described as: "an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage."

Would he really turn around and sign on to do Bond 26 after making what's likely his ideal espionage thriller?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Better still: Bring back Marc Forster.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I believe that ship might sailed by the time of Bond 26, at this rate. He would have been the perfect guy for Bond 25, with some good experience making big budget spectalce mpvied under his belt, over a career spanning 40 plus years. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Moving ahead I think Christopher Nolan has to be the frontrunner to take over the franchise, and breathe some new life into it once Craig leaves. The guy has explained how he has been chomping at the bit to get involved, and has dreamt of the opportunity ever since he was a child. There really is no one like him around today, literally everything he makes is a smash hit on a massive scale, and one cannot say that he plays it safe either. Who would guess that a movie about Dunkirk would be an international boxoffice success? Such is the prowess of Nolan, at the peak of his powers right now. I'm more than intrigued to see what his next project will look like next year.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    naplogic wrote: »
    As someone who has always been hopeful Christopher Nolan would join the Bond franchise, I'm worried about his next movie "Tenet" which comes out next year and is described as: "an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage."

Would he really turn around and sign on to do Bond 26 after making what's likely his ideal espionage thriller?

Probably not...
    Nolan is never making a Bond film. Too established, too expensive, too in-control.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Nolan is never making a Bond film. Too established, too expensive, too in-control.

Exactly.

Plus, Cambpell will never direct another Bond movie.
    Too old.
    I just watched the Irishman. And holy ish guys! Holy ish! Scorsese should, like, totally direct the next Bond film. Legit.

Imagine a James Bond opening steadicam oner with the Rolling Stones blaring in the background?

Imagine Joe Pesci as the next Bond villain? Sick!
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Justin Lin.

I love his Fast And Furious movies and Star Trek Beyond was a hugely entertaining romp (deserved far better than it got). I think he'd make a GREAT Bond movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Todd Phillips.