Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Crazysoul95
    Regarding Pretty In Pink, this one and The Breakfast Club never did it for me. First of all, Molly Ringwald. Yikes! Secondly, John Huston's concept of a good romantic comedy or coming-of-age film or whatever, clearly differs from mine. I love Weird Science though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Thor Ragnarok (2017)
    EgmTcjK.jpg
    Just got back from an IMAX 3D viewing. This was one of my most anticipated films of the year, and it definitely didn’t disappoint. Taika Waititi’s entry is a totally daft ‘fun blast’ from start to finish. Nearly every actor is given an opportunity to display their comedy chops here, and they all step up to the plate and deliver to perfection, and that includes the big ‘Green CGI Heavy’ (who now speaks). I was either in stitches or had a wide grin on my face throughout most of the runtime, and judging from the audience reaction in the packed theatre, I was not alone.

In case there was any doubt, Cate Blanchett nails it as Death Goddess Hela, and silkily sashays her way across the screen in a manner which recalls Michelle Pfieffer’s legendary Catwoman in Batman Returns. Unfortunately her screen time is extremely limited, and her motivations and back-story are glossed over in this film packed with so many characters, and therefore we don’t nearly see enough of her, which is sad. Tessa Thompson is also outstanding as alcoholic Asgardian warrior turned ‘gladiator finder’ Valkyrie. I really want to see more of her in future Marvel entries. The always charismatic Jeff Goldblum (where the heck has he been all these years?) has a scene stealing role as the eccentric colourful ruler of Sakaar, a planet strewn with junk where the heroes spend a lot of time in exile. Waititi himself appears as Korg, a wonderfully funny creature made of rocks (sort of reminiscent of Fantastic Four’s The Thing, but just far more interesting). Chris Hemsworth really stands out as Thor in this film. He has some of the best lines and his comedic timing is first class - I had no idea he had it in him. His interplay with Tom Hiddleston's Loki is pitch perfect (these two always work well together, but whereas their prior interactions were characterized by angst, this time around it’s all about humour and wit). Hiddleston wisely underplays and lets Hemsworth deliver most of the punchlines, and it works beautifully.

So in summary this film is a camp romp where the jokes land. It doesn’t take itself seriously at all but rather just goes all out for laughs, and on that front it succeeds, immeasurably. Those expecting meaningful depth are going to be sadly disappointed because it's as far in tone from 2011's Thor as one can imagine. In a way, it’s a throwback to the pre-911 blockbuster, and the frivolity is even telegraphed in the film’s aesthetic, which is almost gaudy in its exaggerated oversaturated colours. At times the playfulness reminded me of Star Wars (the original film), Star Trek (the 60's tv series), Flash Gordon, & even Schumacher’s Batman Forever. If I have one criticism it’s that the film as told is too short at 2 hrs. Waititi should perhaps be commended for compressing it, but the film feels as though it’s been edited down to within an inch of its life & doesn’t breathe at all because there’s just so much going on in every frame. Also, I selfishly wanted to see more of these fantastic actors in their respective roles because they all seemed to be having so much fun. I am now totally pumped for next year's Infinity Wars. Bring it on!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Moving this off the Halloween thread which is pretty much done now.

Horror of Dracula (1958). Basically a classic IMO. I love it.
    Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966). Nicely made, very atmospheric, but Lee plays it silently... still, I liked it.
    Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968). This one had me going, and the supporting cast was great. I liked it almost as much as the original!
    Taste the Blood Of Dracula (1970). Okay, this was nowhere near as good as I remembered. It starts off promising, but loses it in the last reel.
    I remember really disliking Scars of Dracula and Satanic Rites Of Dracula, and I don't own them anyway... no loss there.
    Next up: my goofy guilty pleasures- Dracula AD 1972 and Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires!

I love the Hammer Draculas, the first and HAS RISEN being my favorites. Actually I really like SCARS. Has it's own vibe and Lee gets far more dialogue and screen time. I think his make up though, looks far better in the 2 "modern" films. I love AD '72.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Road to Perdition

Not being a fan of either Sam Mendes Bond efforts, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this little drama/thriller. The film starts out very serious and dry. You think you're in for a really dark, thought provoking gangster flick, and that's not really what you get. Once the plot gets going the two main characters go on a road trip of sorts, and for a while it turns into a family friendly capper. All the cast do well, although the chemistry between Hanks and is son doesn't really strike you, although perhaps that's intentional. Daniel Craig chews the scenery as this sniveling stooge who inexplicably decides to go on a rampage early on, and the rest of the run time involves Hanks both attempting to escape, and to get revenge, and to reconnect with his son.

This is the sort of film which Sam Mendes is good at, not big action fare like Bond. This is a solid, smart film with a bit of a message to it (Although a lot is left to the imagination).

7/10
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love the Hammer Draculas, the first and HAS RISEN being my favorites. Actually I really like SCARS. Has it's own vibe and Lee gets far more dialogue and screen time. I think his make up though, looks far better in the 2 "modern" films. I love AD '72.
    Yeah, but getting killed in a THORN BUSH??? LOL, that had to be embarrassing for the poor guy... ;)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Commando
    The action is good.... but this film is too dumb for its own good.
    4/10

That's its charm, though, if you get into the right frame of mind. It's a violent cartoon, with cheesy one-liners aplenty. "Let off some steam, Bennett."
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Commando
    The action is good.... but this film is too dumb for its own good.
    4/10

That's its charm, though, if you get into the right frame of mind. It's a violent cartoon, with cheesy one-liners aplenty. "Let off some steam, Bennett."
    "I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And now I'm hungry!"

Agreed. That's what made the 80s action films lovable. You shouldn't take them seriously at all, and just enjoy the ride.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,336
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Crazysoul95
    Regarding Pretty In Pink, this one and The Breakfast Club never did it for me. First of all, Molly Ringwald. Yikes! Secondly, John Huston's concept of a good romantic comedy or coming-of-age film or whatever, clearly differs from mine. I love Weird Science though.

John Hughes you mean. ;) I liked The Breakfast Club the first time i saw it, the second time it disappointed me though. Overall a decent film. Didn't like Weird science, except for Kelly LeBrock :)
    Silly me. I stand corrected.
    Dracula AD 1972. WOW! So much fun. I'd rate it up there with the first, second and third Hammer Dracula's! My 18 year old Son who's never seen any of them was here for it, and HE liked it!
  • Police story 2 a classic jackie chan action gem
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dracula AD 1972. WOW! So much fun. I'd rate it up there with the first, second and third Hammer Dracula's! My 18 year old Son who's never seen any of them was here for it, and HE liked it!
    I first saw that movie about ten years ago. With my father being a fan of Hammer Horrors, it influenced some liking to my tastes, too. I loved the main theme tune for that film. Sadly, that was the last Dracula film by any production that had some decency to it (not counting Leslie Nielsen's parody of Horror of Dracula, which was outstanding).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Yeah, but getting killed in a THORN BUSH??? LOL, that had to be embarrassing for the poor guy... ;)

A hawthorne bush, the same kind of bush that the crown of thorns that christ wore is from. I actually do like SATANIC RITES. LEGEND is the one I really don't like.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I first saw that movie about ten years ago. With my father being a fan of Hammer Horrors, it influenced some liking to my tastes, too. I loved the main theme tune for that film. Sadly, that was the last Dracula film by any production that had some decency to it (not counting Leslie Nielsen's parody of Horror of Dracula, which was outstanding).

I absolutely love both the jack Palance film, and the Gary Oldman film personally.

WILD AT HEART (1990)
    v1.bTsxMTM3MjQ2NTtqOzE3NTkxOzEyMDA7MTIwMDsxNjAw

Don t know how many times I have seen this. My favourite Lynch movie akong with Blue Velvet. When I saw this in the theatre, several people walked out during the violent scene featuring Willem Dafoe towards the end.

I absolutely love both the jack Palance film, and the Gary Oldman film personally.

WILD AT HEART (1990)
    v1.bTsxMTM3MjQ2NTtqOzE3NTkxOzEyMDA7MTIwMDsxNjAw

Don t know how many times I have seen this. My favourite Lynch movie akong with Blue Velvet. When I saw this in the theatre, several people walked out during the violent scene featuring Willem Dafoe towards the end.

I love Blue Velvet, but didn’t much care for Wild at Heart.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Crazysoul95

John Huston? Hughes, surely?! And I have to say those films of his that I've seen are dire!
    Yes, you're correct, @Lancaster007. I already admitted my error a few posts ago. ;-)

Always felt it was underrated. It was often thrashed in horror movie film books and film guides. Lee opposed placing the Count outside the correct time period. The Universal Draculas, though, were contemporary for their day. The Lugosi Dracula is most certainly set in 1931.
    I love AD '72. Stephanie Beacham, the great Michael Kitchen, and Christopher Neame.
    A fun Dracula flick.

The Jack Palance version is one of my favorites, and I easily saw the Gary Oldman film 10 times in the cinema. I wish, though there had been at least a few scenes with Dracula traditionally costumed, or at least as he is described in the book. Clad in black without a single speck of color, his cloak spreading like bat's wings, etc

edited November 2017 Posts: 17,691
    Dracula AD 1972. WOW! So much fun. I'd rate it up there with the first, second and third Hammer Dracula's!

Always felt it was underrated. It was often thrashed in horror movie film books and film guides. Lee opposed placing the Count outside the correct time period.
    I love AD '72. Stephanie Beacham, the great Michael Kitchen, and Christopher Neame.
    A fun Dracula flick.
    It had it all. Lee AND Cushing, Stephanie as the babe (wow) AND Caroline Munroe, lots of Drac menace, and a whoah ending. The groovy 70's vibe is a bonus.
    dracula-ad-1972-e1478723158928.jpg

Dracula AD 1972. WOW! So much fun. I'd rate it up there with the first, second and third Hammer Dracula's!

Always felt it was underrated. It was often thrashed in horror movie film books and film guides. Lee opposed placing the Count outside the correct time period.
    A fun Dracula flick.
    It had it all. Lee AND Cushing, Stephanie as the babe (wow) AND Caroline Munroe, lots of Drac menace, and a whoah ending. The groovy 70's vibe is a bonus.
    dracula-ad-1972-e1478723158928.jpg

Also a great PTS set in the 19th century. I love the imagination Hammer used for disposing of Dracula. Impaling him on a carriage wheel was pretty cool.
    Just enjoyed a rewatch of Blue Velvet (1986). A classic for sure - love it.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,730
    THOR RAGNAROK
    Its a lot of fun and Hulk is great in it. However I found the level of silly and just general unrealistic nature to take away from the enjoyment by diminishing the stakes. Also every scene with Hella slows the film down to snail pace. But it was over all an entertaining film.
    6.5/10
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bridge on the River Kwai It's remarkable that this film is 60 year old much like Lawerance of Arabia it looks like it was shot yesterday. David Lean truly is one of the greatest directors of all time
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Wild Geese (1978) dir. Andrew V. McLaglan. Arrow Video blu-ray.
    A tough boy's-own action adventure film in which Dumbledore, James Bond and Mark Anthony and a group of mercenaries train and go to Africa to rescue a deposed President ready to reinstall him as head of his country. But during the operation those that sent them there make a deal with the opposition…and then the shit hits the fan!
    At a 135 mins this was a bit longer than I thought it was going to be, but it did not seem as long. Old style film-making that shows its age, but hasn't really dated. Will enjoy watching again with commentary by Roger Moore, Euan Lloyd (producer) and John Glen (second unit and editor) as Roger and John are always worth a listen to.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Can't sleep. So it's time to watch my favorite flick, Scarface.
    Remington wrote: »
    Can't sleep. So it's time to watch my favorite flick, Scarface.

I've yet to see it actually. Hope you have fun with that; always a good plan to watch a movie when you can't sleep.
    Black Hawk Down.

This film never fails to grip me. Incredible film about what happened in Somalia almost 25 years ago. I remember watching it on the news all those years ago.
    The Wild Geese (1978) dir. Andrew V. McLaglan. Arrow Video blu-ray.
    A tough boy's-own action adventure film in which Dumbledore, James Bond and Mark Anthony and a group of mercenaries train and go to Africa to rescue a deposed President ready to reinstall him as head of his country. But during the operation those that sent them there make a deal with the opposition…and then the shit hits the fan!
    At a 135 mins this was a bit longer than I thought it was going to be, but it did not seem as long. Old style film-making that shows its age, but hasn't really dated. Will enjoy watching again with commentary by Roger Moore, Euan Lloyd (producer) and John Glen (second unit and editor) as Roger and John are always worth a listen to.

Only watched this myself last week. Never fails to entertain. And great supporting cast of British stalwarts, Kenneth Griffith, Jack Watson (originally Stephen Boyd was to play his part!) and Barry Foster! Composer Roy Boyd does a great score! Old style Producer Euan Lloyd was under pressure to get Michael Winner to direct, but he stuck with Mclaglen, who does a great job!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Been a while since I had rewatched The Fifth Element (after having only seen it once or twice before, so my recollection of it in its entirety was pretty fuzzy), but damn, was is this one entertaining movie, made all the better in 4K as the details and coloring of the costumes and world simply pop and dazzle on screen. This one is easily rewatchable, thanks to some terrific pacing and a cast with wonderful chemistry (never fails to make me smile watching Ruby and Korben on-screen together).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Thor Ragnarok - 2nd viewing.

This is the first time I've seen a film twice in the theatre this year. I loved it the first time out and it's even better to me this time. The light tone and jokes are uplifting and the performances are all great, even if the film overall is on the goofy side. It's the MR of Marvel films. I really had no clue before that Hemsworth had a comic side to him.