No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I'd like Harris to keep going, partly because I think she is able and hasn't been given the best scripts really that are the best extension of a modern take on moneypenny. Also I like continuity across the series. Michael kitchen, Colin salmon, judi dench. It adds a certain something to the series
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    bondjames wrote: »
    The reason I don't like Harris (as I've said before) has to do with the fact that she comes across as more of an action girl than a behind the desk type. She is naturally better for the field imho (at least that's how she comes across to me). So even though her character is framed as a field incompetent in SF, I found her credible running around and holding / shooting a gun. I find her less credible being all dressed up behind a desk. I just find it doesn't suit her.
    Precisely. I'd rather we've had Eve as a 00-agent. Missed opportunity, if you ask me.

Thandie Newton, on the other hand, would've been an outstanding Moneypenny.

• //Traditionally, the distribution deal is for all major MGM releases, and not just 007. //

Not since MGM came out of bankruptcy in 2010. Here's a sampling:

--The Hobbit series (2012-14). New Line (part of Warner Bros.)

--Robocop (2014). Sony via Columbia Pictures.

--Ben Hur (2016). Paramount

--Death Wish (2018). Annapurna

Michael G. Wilson did say in that November 2015 video that the distribution deal would be for all of MGM's slate. But I think he was mistaken, or events changed. The Bond 25 deal, based on the New York Times story from April, seems to be a one-off and not tied to any other MGM films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks for the clarification @AlexanderWaverly . I stand corrected, and that is good to know.
    Does anyone think the premiere date could still be pie in the sky. It's only two years and going by the old timetables of a bond every two years pre production would be already started
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Does anyone think the premiere date could still be pie in the sky. It's only two years and going by the old timetables of a bond every two years pre production would be already started
    According to the rumours, pre-production is set to commence in May 2018. Just rumours, however.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification @AlexanderWaverly . I stand corrected, and that is good to know.

You're welcome.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 2,115

It's not pie in the sky. But until the distributor is settled, I don't think it's completely nailed down. As noted over the last page of this thread, release dates can change *even when the distributor is known*. A few examples:

--Batman vs Superman had three announced release dates (July 2015, May 2016, March 2016).

--MGM's Death Wish remake recently was pushed back into 2018 after being scheduled for November. When I saw Blade Runner 2049, the theater still had a Death Wish trailer with the November date.

--Ant-Man was originally announced for November 2015. Then SPECTRE was announced for the same date. Ant-Man was moved up to the summer of 2015.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    My main discussion point is the term "multi ethnic feminazis".

Who are these people?

The ones who like Harris?
    The ones who employed Harris?
    The one who maintain Harris?

rory kinear is (quite rightly) derided on here for being a nobody in the role of tanner. But there are no criticisms or arguments made for him based on his gender or skin colour. Maybe eon like him. Maybe he signed a multi picture contract. Maybe he's cheap(!). Maybe Harris is all those things but she gets different assumptions made for her.

No one tries that line with Caroline Bliss's 'performances' - now she really was the worst moneypenny. Dear god!

The term 'multiethnic feminazis' was just a throwaway line referring to the increasingly tedious modern obsession but I should've forgotten that flippancy and a sense of humour are strictly verboten.

I'm still waiting for an explanation about why Bond going to Eton is of any relevance. Apparently random assumptions made based on someone's skin colour or gender are objectionable but where they happened to go school are not?

Personally I have no problem with Harris, she is ok in a fairly meaningless role (see CR - did anyone really miss the character) although I would say the way the character is portrayed I suspect she would have gone to somewhere like Cheltenham Ladies College or Roedean which obviously would be hard to stomach.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    bondjames wrote: »
    The reason I don't like Harris (as I've said before) has to do with the fact that she comes across as more of an action girl than a behind the desk type. She is naturally better for the field imho (at least that's how she comes across to me). So even though her character is framed as a field incompetent in SF, I found her credible running around and holding / shooting a gun. I find her less credible being all dressed up behind a desk. I just find it doesn't suit her.
    Precisely. I'd rather we've had Eve as a 00-agent. Missed opportunity, if you ask me.

Thandie Newton, on the other hand, would've been an outstanding Moneypenny.

I have to agree. Harris is much more suited to being an agent, and Newton would have made a fantastic MP.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 832
    I'd like Harris to keep going, partly because I think she is able and hasn't been given the best scripts really that are the best extension of a modern take on moneypenny. Also I like continuity across the series. Michael kitchen, Colin salmon, judi dench. It adds a certain something to the series

But what is a "modern take on moneypenny" actively involved in every plot? Because in my view that isn't welcome, not anymore than moneypenny in from russia with love. Bond should meet unique characters in the field for the most part. Though I loved wishaw in sf and in sp until the 4th act london scenes, and giving him more to do was a good idea in those films (though i hated his involvement in london at the end, amoung other things in that part). Just as judi dench was great in twine, cr, sf. I like fiennes, but he shouldnt be as involved as dench was, though perhaps a bit more than before. I do not see a similar situation to these two cases (debch as m, wishaw as q) working ever with moneypenny, its just not that kind of role. I would rather not have moneypenny than have her as a major character in every film.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

But what is a "modern take on moneypenny" actively involved in every plot? Because in my view that isn't welcome, not anymore than moneypenny in from russia with love.
    Agreed. Her role to play will come only when M is threatened, since this new Moneypenny is also M's personal bodyguard. And M being threatened in every plot is, simply to say, stupid as well as lazy as the agility of a three-toed sloth.
    since this new Moneypenny is also M's personal bodyguard.

You must have watched a different film to me because what I saw was an ex SAS officer who can still handle himself and someone who bottled their only active assignment in the field and then opted to retreat behind a desk.

Why would the former have the latter as a bodyguard? He'd do better with Rory 'where's the nearest deskfor me to cower under when it's all kicking off' Kinnear watching his back.

M being threatened in every plot is, simply to say, stupid as well as lazy as the agility of a three-toed sloth.

In this respect you are right. In both films so far Fiennes has picked up a gun. Bernard Lee never did it once. You do the math(s).

You must have watched a different film to me because what I saw was an ex SAS officer who can still handle himself and someone who bottled their only active assignment in the field and then opted to retreat behind a desk.

Why would the former have the latter as a bodyguard? He'd do better with Rory 'where's the nearest deskfor me to cower under when it's all kicking off' Kinnear watching his back.
    She's depicted as such. I don't support it. With the new graphic novels openly stating she is "the last line of defense" as well as showing her repeatedly cleaning up her gun and keeping it in her desk compartment just in case, I commented in regard to that, as well as the publisher being inspired by Naomie's version of Moneypenny both in characterization and resemblance.

M being threatened in every plot is, simply to say, stupid as well as lazy as the agility of a three-toed sloth.

In this respect you are right. In both films so far Fiennes has picked up a gun. Bernard Lee never did it once. You do the math(s).

I of course may be wrong, especially since I haven't seen Skyfall very often, but I don't think Mallory was ex SAS. If he had been Bond wouldn't have any doubts about his knowledge of life at the front.
    Mallory was a former British army with the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel.

She's depicted as such. I don't support it. With the new graphic novels openly stating she is "the last line of defense" as well as showing her repeatedly cleaning up her gun and keeping it in her desk compartment just in case, I commented in regard to that, as well as the publisher being inspired by Naomie's version of Moneypenny both in characterization and resemblance.

When is she depicted as such? And I mean in the films not some comics.

I of course may be wrong, especially since I haven't seen Skyfall very often, but I don't think Mallory was ex SAS. If he had been Bond wouldn't have any doubts about his knowledge of life at the front.

Yeah you are wrong.

In the films? Not verbally. My assumption went by the publisher's claim that she was based on Naomie's version of the character in the graphic novels. I assumed she'd be given a position as such due to her field agent background as opposed to the deskbound secretary Moneypenny of the old films. But, it's not given a literal confirmation on the screen.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,043
    @noSolaceleft I think Skyfall is pretty explicit in saying that Gareth Mallory is Ex SAS, it also mentions him being held captive by the IRA.

I have seen SF many times and maybe it's time you checked your facts before spouting such nonsense.

Your disdain for the DC era makes you not the best person to be commenting on the history of the character in this era.

Fair enough don't like it and make snidey remarks in a really patronising manner but do your research before you do.

Irregardless of you thinking it and not being convinced the films script plainly mentions it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    "You should do your homework". One of Harris's better delivered lines in SF.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,162
    Shardlake wrote: »
    @noSolaceleft I think Skyfall is pretty explicit in saying that Gareth Mallory is Ex SAS, it also mentions him being held captive by the IRA.

I have seen SF many times and maybe it's time you checked your facts before spouting such nonsense.

Your disdain for the DC era makes you not the best person to be commenting on the history of the character in this era.

Fair enough don't like it and make snidey remarks in a really patronising manner but do your research before you do.

Irregardless of you thinking it and not being convinced the films script plainly mentions it.

Pardon? Those were my words:
    "I of course may be wrong, especially since I haven't seen Skyfall very often, but I don't think ..."

I see two possible reasons for this:
    Either you aren't capable of contemplating the meaning of my words from an intellectual point of view or you or you don't take the time to read posts before you start to reprimand people.
    Whatever the reason may be I would ask you to refrain from commenting on my posts as long as you haven't found a solution to your problem.

Have a nice day

• edited October 2017 Posts: 1,162

Yeah you are wrong.

So why has gone no respect for him from the very start? If he is a former SAS commander it's obvious that he knows about the tough life, since to become so do you half to be one of them. I should think that anyone who qualifies for the SAS should have Bonds utmost respect.
    But of course we are talking about Skyfall, the movie in which nothing makes sense. My mistake.
    Bond doesn't respect Mallory at first simply because he doesn't trust him. An idiotic play on their part because Skyfall's ending scene told us differently, but somehow everything was retconned. I would also say that Craig's version of Bond doesn't really give a toss about people's ranks. He respects them when they earn his. That's how his persona is.

Yeah you are wrong.

So why has gone no respect for him from the very start? If he is a former SAS commander it's obvious that he knows about the tough life, since to become so do you half to be one of them. I should think that anyone who qualifies for the SAS should have Bonds utmost respect.
    But of course we are talking about Skyfall, the movie in which nothing makes sense. My mistake.

I would tend to agree with you.

Suggest you address your complaints to:

P&W
    c/o EON Productions
    Cobbled Together Script Avenue
    London
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Bond doesn't respect Mallory at first simply because he doesn't trust him. An idiotic play on their part because Skyfall's ending scene told us differently, but somehow everything was retconned. I would also say that Craig's version of Bond doesn't really give a toss about people's ranks. He respects them when they earn his. That's how his persona is.

Well that, and then there's the "pathological rejection of Authority due to unresolved childhood Trauma" from Skyfall
    00Agent wrote: »

Well that, and then there's the "pathological rejection of Authority due to unresolved childhood Trauma" from Skyfall
    There you go.
    Alright, alright. I am convinced

Yeah you are wrong.

P&W
    c/o EON Productions
    London

Judging from the predominant quality of the movies hitting the screen these days I would guess this Cobbled Together Script Avenue to be long enough to connect London and Glasgow.
    no I don't think a modern take on moneypenny is her in the field. a modern take would be similar to the snappy dialogue between bond and vesper - sexy, fun, flirtatious and clever. Not the scooby doo gang that we got in SP nor retreading the arse slapping of connerys era. Certainly not a granny going to the races as per AVTAK. She looked like the queen mum.

Yeah you are wrong.

P&W
    c/o EON Productions
    London

Judging from the predominant quality of the movies hitting the screen these days I would guess this Cobbled Together Script Avenue to be long enough to connect London and Glasgow.

They have several premises for tax reasons. SP was written at:

Piss On Fleming's Grave House
    Narrative Cul de Sac
    Thirdactcollapseville