No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    @peter, I also think the current political climate is going to make it even more difficult. People are extremely sensitive at this moment and consequently any new approach could potentially raise the ire of certain groups. Especially when it comes to Bond, because a lot of his personality attributes can be judged as part of a bygone era and be a lightning rod for criticism and wider commentary. It's really a worrying situation as far as I'm concerned.

Bond has been written off several times in the past and always come back,i'm sure it will be the same this time.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    barryt007 wrote: »
    @peter, I also think the current political climate is going to make it even more difficult. People are extremely sensitive at this moment and consequently any new approach could potentially raise the ire of certain groups. Especially when it comes to Bond, because a lot of his personality attributes can be judged as part of a bygone era and be a lightning rod for criticism and wider commentary. It's really a worrying situation as far as I'm concerned.

Bond has been written off several times in the past and always come back,i'm sure it will be the same this time.
    That's really not my point. It's not about Bond surviving. Rather, it's about what kind of Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

That's really not my point. It's not about Bond surviving. It's about what kind of Bond.
    I think the post-9/11 Bond introduced in Royale is going to maintain its presence in Craig's tenure. There's no change coming up in the next film.

That's really not my point. It's not about Bond surviving. It's about what kind of Bond.
    I think the post-9/11 Bond introduced in Royale is going to maintain its presence in Craig's tenure. There's no change coming up in the next film.
    Agreed, and I believe one of the reasons we have Craig again is because they are having difficulty making a change and reimagining the character at this sensitive moment. Better to stick with what you know given the political climate.

Agreed, and I believe one of the reasons we have Craig again is because they are having difficulty making a change and reimagining the character at this sensitive moment. Better to stick with what you know given the political climate.

Or that they believe that Craig is good in the role?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No @ClarkDevlin, not the next film; the direction of Bond post-Craig is the question. And yes, I think there’s a pause right now because of the political climate...

The Craig-era, has also, to a degree, disrupted the big picture— unlike actors before, more or less continuing the “same” character, the actor following Craig will have to be his own Bond in, I think, his own time line (and not Craig’s time line). That unto itself (another reboot of sorts) is problematic.
    peter wrote: »
    No @ClarkDevlin, not the next film; the direction of Bond post-Craig is the question. And yes, I think there’s a pause right now because of the political climate...

The Craig-era, has also, to a degree, disrupted the big picture— unlike actors before, more or less continuing the “same” character, the actor following Craig will have to be his own Bond in, I think, his own time line (and not Craig’s time line). That unto itself (another reboot of sorts) is problematic.

Problematic? Surely it's an opportunity - creatively speaking. I really like Craig - for me, he's the best Bond, but I am still really looking forward to where they take it after him, it'll have to be something different - what that may look like I'm having trouble imagining - unless they revert back to generic by-the-numbers Bond.
    Dennison wrote: »

So were all the others though.
    peter wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. It's become more complicated as a result of the reboot. So when they move forward, they likely will want to take an opportunity to reposition the character in the marketplace again (even if it's not a reboot), and timing is everything in that regard. There is no discernible wave to catch at present, unlike 2006. Except perhaps a 'pc' one.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    My simple request for the next film is that they drop this one word title template as it's become rather tiresome and uninspired if you ask me. Give me a four word title with creative motto-sounding Fleming-esque philosophy to it.

As for the next actor, I think it will be different from Craig's portrayal of Bond. But, I will also say this... the image of action heroes changed when The Bourne Identity reinvented the wheel for Hollywood. While the OTT-ness is slowly coming back to the cool fashion with the help of the MCU mostly, I don't think the image of the action hero has changed since Bourne at all. So, that begs the question... how different will the next Bond be from Craig's Bond? Unless... they'd be going down the Brosnan route, again (which I would love and welcome with open arms in a heartbeat).
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    My simple request for the next film is that they drop this one word title template as it's become rather tiresome and uninspired if you ask me. Give me a four word title with creative motto-sounding Fleming-esque philosophy to it.

+1

As for the next actor, I think it will be different from Craig's portrayal of Bond. But, I will also say this... the image of action heroes changed when The Bourne Identity reinvented the wheel for Hollywood. While the OTT-ness is slowly coming back to the cool fashion with the help of the MCU mostly, I don't think the image of the action hero has changed since Bourne at all. So, that begs the question... how different will the next Bond be from Craig's Bond? Unless... they'd be going down the Brosnan route, again (which I would love and welcome with open arms in a heartbeat).

Same here,they were good fun films,and I still watch them the most,alongside QOS.
    They would just need better scripts and tighter writing.

I don't think the image of the action hero has changed since Bourne at all. So, that begs the question... how different will the next Bond be from Craig's Bond? Unless... they'd be going down the Brosnan route, again (which I would love and welcome with open arms in a heartbeat).
    I think it's possible to bring back some of the more OTT elements, but they really do need an actor who can pull that off. Just like Craig was able to deliver CR so well, they will need someone who can naturally convey that suave stylish presence while inhabiting a larger than life world. If they get the right actor, anything will be possible going forward.

My concern is whether they will want to go back to that world. I certainly hope so. Not the Brosnan period necessarily, but certainly Moore.
    I think sometime after, they definitely will go back to that world. The Brosnan archetype certainly embodied the combination of the Connery and Moore OTT-ness and made it relevant to the modern times. They'll go down that route when they will.
  • The Bond fans might recognize Barry's "Soviet Capsule" track from You Only Live Twice mainly as SPECTRE's theme, but the general public won't...
    I would have absolutely loved it had EON used this modern remix of Capsule in Space over the main titles of SPECTRE... (Sorry, Sam.)

edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    The Bond fans might recognize Barry's "Soviet Capsule" track from You Only Live Twice mainly as SPECTRE's theme, but the general public won't...
    I would have absolutely loved it had EON used this modern remix of Capsule in Space over the main titles of SPECTRE... (Sorry, Sam.)

While I love that remix above, I think it's too cool for the current Bond. Had it been the previous era, I could see them going down that path. But, this sort of extravaganza won't be there in Craig's tenure. Because they're not trying to be "cool" with Craig's Bond films.
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here or not, but MGM just renewed Gary Barber's contract until 2022. It's quite a vote of confidence, and also indicates that he will be at the helm during the transition to B26 (actor changeover and the 60th anniversary) as well as any potential sale of the studio down the road.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/mgm-extends-gary-barber-contract-to-2022-1202182296/
    Is it possible that MGM is going independent again and they'll be distributing Bond?
    Is it possible that MGM is going independent again and they'll be distributing Bond?
    It's interesting that MGM has EPIX in their portfolio. This could be a redundancy if Amazon or Apple get a hold of the franchise, because they can stream it direct (particularly Amazon).

I'm not sure if they have the capacity to distribute B25. B26 is a possibility and I believe this is why we only have a one picture deal in the works (i.e. they plan on IPO'ing or selling after B25's release).
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I think the use of the OHMSS theme in the trailer addressed the SPECTRE organization rather than the film itself, as it's the closest thing we'll ever get to identifying Blofeld/SPECTRE in any form. The Bond fans might recognize Barry's "Soviet Capsule" track from You Only Live Twice mainly as SPECTRE's theme, but the general public won't, hence I think the OHMSS theme was used in it.

Personally, I don't mind if they regularize the OHMSS theme as SPECTRE's theme.

I think that the general public wouldn't have even recognised the OHMSS theme to be honest. As cool as it was in the trailer, I think that it was a bad call, because the only people who'd care are us lot and it was part of what made some members expect a very different film to what we got (I'd read the leaks so I knew what I was getting).

I do think the OHMSS theme could have been reused over the years though. I think it could have been a cool secondary Bond theme to show when he's in real danger, they could have done different variations on it. But now I think too much time has passed and it's too tied to that one specific film. Best leave it in the past. I want new iconic themes, moments, concepts.

That's why I thought the DB10 was really cool. A car just for Bond. It seemed like a genuine attempt at creating a new icon (but they sort of undermined it by wheeling out the DB5 again).
    Mike and Babs selling the franchise would seem very out of character for me, really. It's not like them.
    Anything is possible given the fast changes in the industry at the moment. The pace of change is ridiculous as is consolidation. Whether we like it or not, the EON 'independent' model is an anomaly in this industry, and it's not cost effective due to the fact that there are so many pieces and fingers in the pie (profits have to be split three ways,costs aren't equally shared and neither is creative control).

I wasn't referring to an EON sale of Bond earlier though. Rather of an MGM sale of the entire company to another entity. They tried to sell in 2016. They are like Aston Martin these days. Owned by a hedge fund looking for a return.
    Dennison wrote: »

Yes @Dennison. That would be a more rational explanation. Plus Craig's just starred in two of the most commercially successful Bond films ever. I wonder why EON are so keen to hang on to him?!
    Mike and Babs selling the franchise would seem very out of character for me, really. It's not like them.

I hope they don't really. Easily my biggest worry as far as Bond goes. Part of why I'm not as excited about B25 as I should be.
    Considering how many iconic characters and franchises have been redone the past 10 years, many are poorly written, miscast and awful. It would be a crime for that to happen to Bond. Yet deep down I still think someone else would mess with it too much.
    Damn, I just tried to watch The Mummy with Tom Cruise. Ironically it was Universal attempting to revive their old monster franchises, and the current heads screwed even that up. Then there's The Lone Ranger film from a few years ago and The Green Hornet with Seth Rogen. I could just see someone shooting a film called "James Bond" some years after B25 is over and done with, and it ending up like any of those atrocities.
    Mickey G and Barbara are protective enough of Bond, I'd hope they'd have clear guidelines as far as a sale goes.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    Take out the personal drama, delving into Bond's past and the dour overtones, up the tension and adventure.
    No, no, no! Personal drama is great, as long as it's not about Bond. (Vesper' past in CR, or Silva's and M's shared past in Skyfall.) I want drama in my Bond film as long as Bond is not the centre of it. (I agree about no delving into Bond's past.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a more dramatic Bond film but 4 films in a row and Skyfall (Which I did like.) I just feel like it's gone on far enough and I'm ready for a more TSWLM adventurous Bond film. However, Should Bond25 be more of the same, I at least hope its better than Blofeld being Bonds temporary adoptive brother.

I agree, I would assume they would pass it on to the next generation of the family, and just be active in an advisory role if asked? But as mentioned above, you can never rule anything out sadly.
  • Paul McGuigan's comments last night at the BIFF screening of the film he directed for Barbara would suggest that a director has indeed been hired (and it's not him)

@Pierce2Daniel what makes you think the director has been hired from his remarks? He says it's not him but I didn't see anything that suggested the director is a done deal.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    A director has not been hired yet according to Barbara Broccoli:

• Agreed, it's time to move it forward.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 5,745
    Paul McGuigan's comments last night at the BIFF screening of the film he directed for Barbara would suggest that a director has indeed been hired (and it's not him)

Just to transcribe the Bond parts for everybody:
    Is Bond something in your future that you would think about?
    Yeah, I would love to do James Bond. Of course I would. I would be lying to you--it's not going to happen this time around, but, you know, me and Barbara just love working with each other. Quite literally, if I could work with Barbara Broccoli every day of my life I would be a happy director.

Right before that, though, he mentioned that he was working on an Amazon television show, so I think that's what he meant about Bond 25 not working out for him. Not necessarily a confirmation that Eon has a director already lined up.