Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Is this gonna be the final MI?

I'm willing to bet Cruise will do a 7th one, as M:I have long gaps so it will coincide with Bond #7 debut outing, so Cruise will have headlined an M:I film during 3 Bond tenures (Brosnan, Craig, Bond #7).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'd love to see Cruise do MI7, but I have a feeling he will drop out before Bond #007 @DaltonCraig007.

Awesome though he is, it will be very difficult for him to compete with a fresh, younger Bond actor. Even though he is older than Craig, I've always found him far more youthful looking, and that' a large part of his appeal. There is a gap which he is filling.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames that's true, but I think Bond #7 will also have his own tough competition - Daniel Craig. Physically I mean, of course. Craig in CR/QOS was pretty damn impressive , and neither himself or Cruise have done fight scenes that impressive since then. Not counting stunts - where Cruise totally owned in M:I Rogue Nation - , but in terms of hand to hand combat, I feel Cruise peaked in Collateral, as did Craig in CR/QOS. That's why it's tough for me to imagine certain actors as the next Bond - I have trouble imagining many of the main contenders doing fight scenes like the PTS in CR, or Slate fight in QOS.
    @DaltonCraig007 , I'm very optimistic about Bond #007. He can't get here fast enough as far as I'm concerned, because as you noted, Craig peaked physically in CR/QoS. Cruise has held up very well, but given his recent accident, I think he may realize he's not what he was. Ultimately as good as these two are, it's a young man's game.

So yes, Bond #007 will have to wrestle with the ghost of early Craig, but that was some time ago (a distant memory). Recent efforts have been far less impressive on the physical front.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It has now been confirmed that Preikestolen will be closed three days in early November for filming of the end scene.
    C_KDS6bXcAEh0hL.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I'm inclined to believe this little knee injury Cruise obtained a few weeks back won't set him back from his agility anytime soon. He'll be there for more of this alright. So, this "one crazy stunt" he'll be pulling (or performing) in the upcoming film won't be the last of it. Knowing Cruise, he will go for more ambitious things in life.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm inclined to believe this little knee injury Cruise obtained a few weeks back won't set him back from his agility anytime soon. He'll be there for more of this alright. So, this "one crazy stunt" he'll be pulling (or performing) in the upcoming film won't be the last of it. Knowing Cruise, he will go for more ambitious things in life.

@ClarkDevlin, I'm inclined to agree. I think there has been an overreaction and overly dramatic response to Tom's injury, as if it's a paradigm changing moment in his life that will change everything after it such that there will be a pre-rooftop leg injury and post-rooftop leg injury timeline. In reality, regardless of what we or anyone else thinks, you're probably right on the money to predict that Tom will be back for more stunts that are even more risky because that's who Tom is. He challenges himself and puts himself out there and instead of reducing his workload and stunts in his films he'll more likely take this moment as a learning experience to do similar stunts better in the future to avoid other injury. But this little incident won't make a lick of difference in his life, or how he involves himself in these films if I had to be a betting man.

For those concerned about an old man in a young man's stunt game, I think it's more salient to worry about when Tom does truly life-threatening stunts (like tying himself to a plane thousands of feet in the air) than the minor jump he made that caused the injury from a while back. To quibble about a rooftop jump in that case would be like warning a man about getting a paper cut while giving his ticket to ride a roller coaster with no seatbelts on it. The worry is misplaced and diverted from where it really should be.
    As always, Braders, you make yet another impeccably accurate post depicting how the facts of life around are played out.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I don't recall reading anything suggesting any paradigm shifts. Perhaps I've missed something. Regarding an old man in a young man's stunt game, the bottom line is it becomes more difficult to recover fully from injuries with age, no matter who you are. I wouldn't want him to be jumping buildings at 60 as an example. Aging is inevitable (despite some of us progressing at a different rate) until we invent a cure for it.

He didn't injure himself in the plane sequence in MI-RN because appropriate risk mitigation precautions, and planning were put in place. It was therefore in reality a 'safer' stunt for him to perform than the rooftop jump which injured him, despite being more extravagant. The difference: one stunt left very little to chance. The other relied on the actor himself to get it just right (velocity, trajectory, landing etc. etc.), and that's where errors can and did occur.
    good point, people relate the phyzical size of the stunt and the risk when there is no logic to a ratio of risk. The cleverness of the Airbus stunt was that it looked stunning but, at the same time, the physical dexterity/timing required by TC was much less than the jump stunt where he was injured.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't recall reading anything suggesting any paradigm shifts. Perhaps I've missed something. Regarding an old man in a young man's stunt game, the bottom line is it becomes more difficult to recover fully from injuries with age, no matter who you are. I wouldn't want him to be jumping buildings at 60 as an example. Aging is inevitable (despite some of us progressing at a different rate) until we invent a cure for it.

He didn't injure himself in the plane sequence in MI-RN because appropriate risk mitigation precautions, and planning were put in place. It was therefore in reality a 'safer' stunt for him to perform than the rooftop jump which injured him, despite being more extravagant. The difference: one stunt left very little to chance. The other relied on the actor himself to get it just right (velocity, trajectory, landing etc. etc.), and that's where errors can and did occur.

I think everyone is aware of the concept of things getting harder with age, but there was a pronounced drama surrounding the entire situation. At the end of the day Tom will do what Tom will do no matter what, and what he will do are more stunts. ;)

I think everyone is aware of the concept of things getting harder with age, but there was a pronounced drama surrounding the entire situation. At the end of the day Tom will do what Tom will do no matter what, and what he will do are more stunts. ;)
    Very true. He loves it and we as viewers continue to benefit from his commitment, although I'm sure it's getting more difficult every day, sadly.

Very true. He loves it and we as viewers continue to benefit from his commitment, although I'm sure it's getting more difficult every day, sadly.

@bondjames, don't be glib. ;) Tom's got it all covered and Scientology has taught him he's here on earth to be a hero to the human race, so that looniness must give him the proper motivation.
    @bondjames When are you seeing American Made?

@bondjames, don't be glib. ;) Tom's got it all covered and Scientology has taught him he's here on earth to be a hero to the human race, so that looniness must give him the proper motivation.
    I've heard that it can really inspire people to push themselves to achieve their life goals @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, so no matter how crazy it may seem (and I don't know anything about it personally) if it makes TC keep doing what he's doing then I'm all for it, cult or not.
    @DaltonCraig007, probably in a couple of hours if I can fit it in. Looking forward to it.
    When is the first teaser coming out for this
    Risico007 wrote: »
    When is the first teaser coming out for this

I'd say February or March 2018.

I've heard that it can really inspire people to push themselves to achieve their life goals @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, so no matter how crazy it may seem (and I don't know anything about it personally) if it makes TC keep doing what he's doing then I'm all for it, cult or not.
    @DaltonCraig007, probably in a couple of hours if I can fit it in. Looking forward to it.

For the price tag it requires you to pay to enlighten yourself with its delusional lore, Scientology should end up being some form of good in the life of those who choose to wrestle with it for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I wouldn't suggest looking too much into it, as you won't look at certain folks the same way again after knowing about it. In this case, ignorance is very much bliss when it comes to the sometimes crime and always present creepiness of Scientology.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 45,489
    I once took a test with the scientologists, just to pass some time. The results were clear. I was in serious need of a course.

I declined, and see where that got me. Go for it, Bond James.
    I declined, and see where that got me.
    Vampire State Building?
    I declined, and see where that got me.
    Vampire State Building?

lestat7.jpg
    That is right, Clark.
    It's wetting my appetite for an invasion.
    Look what I've bought ;-):

l9LVTEc.jpg
    3iBQoEx.jpg

So no one can say now that I'm belittling "Mission: Impossible" when I compare it with "Bond" ;-).
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I don't think this will be the last one but I think the next one could be. Cruise can't do it forever, the older he gets the harder it'll be to recover from any injuries, and I noticed when I watched the Jack Reacher movie that he's finally starting to look older as well. And it does take them 3 or 4 years at best to get these films out.

So I think this one, then one more, then that could be the end until the inevitable reboot/relaunch (unless they try to carry on from there with Cruise in an M sort of role and focusing on a whole team).
    I don't think this will be the last one but I think the next one could be.
    That's also what I suspect to be the case.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    So no one can say now that I'm belittling "Mission: Impossible" when I compare it with "Bond" ;-).
    Welcome to the club. What took you so long? Hope you enjoy. They are terrific and quite distinct entries. Blu ray quality is above average for the older entries too.
    I got all the MI films on a blu-ray a while back, around the time of MI:RN's disc release, and I look forward to getting to them sometime.
    Welcome to the club. What took you so long? Hope you enjoy. They are terrific and quite distinct entries. Blu ray quality is above average for the older entries too.

My favourite is "Rogue Nation". Just hoped that the PTS was a bit more real-life. I mean....I would have liked the action sequence to continue with Cruise doing a proper skydiing scene.

But apart from that....loved it.

My favourite is "Rogue Nation". Just hoped that the PTS was a bit more real-life. I mean....I would have liked the action sequence to continue with Cruise doing a proper skydiing scene.

But apart from that....loved it.
    I like Rogue Nation the best by far as well and agree that the PTS should have segued into a dive. That would have been the icing on the cake but perhaps it would have been too dangerous even for TC. Love Ghost Protocol and the original MI as well.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,602
    We have all seen Hollywood squeeze every last cent out of every franchise. I refuse to believe that MI will stop once TC leaves. The question is, will they go for a short term, lazy follow up or will they think long term and produce something that stands on its own as a great action/thriller.