No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I do understand your POV, @bondjames , and I will say I am the disgraceful;
    to experience my child's life, from beginning to end trumps any and all

But, I don't think this philosophical debate has any place in B25; and if V is at the helm, he knows that too-- this debate is not evident in SICARIO, nor PRISONER (although, like Hitchcock, through storytelling, there is a debate to be had in each of his films)
    If the director isnt in the bag then Babs probably has it down to a few choices & they have all read & discussed the script.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Does anyone find it strange that this news hasn't made it viral? Not even mi6 made an article about nor the other major movie sources are picking up on it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @peter, in each of Sicario, Prisoners and The Arrival (the only three films of Villeneuve's I have seen) there is an essential moral quandary at the crux of it which confronts the protagonist. Should Villeneuve be signed on for B25, I think it's safe to say that Craig will face such a crisis. This, I believe, is what is drawing him to this director. We could be in store for the successor to SF (in terms of emotional resonance), which is what I have been expecting. They will be haunted by that film for as long as he's in the saddle.
  • Does anyone find it strange that this news hasn't made it viral? Not even mi6 made an article about nor the other major movie sources are picking up on it.

This is the only one I've seen from The Playlist website.

http://theplaylist.net/villeneuve-james-bond-20170922/
    Perhaps because his name was already attached to the list of prospects in July (along with Demange and MacKenzie). Only fansites like ours made the assumption that it was Demange from then onwards. So there is an element of redundancy to the 'news'.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Haunted by which film? CR? Or SF? Or SP? @bondjames
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Does anyone find it strange that this news hasn't made it viral? Not even mi6 made an article about nor the other major movie sources are picking up on it.

This is the only one I've seen from The Playlist website.

http://theplaylist.net/villeneuve-james-bond-20170922/

Thanks for the link
    SF @peter. As long as Craig is Bond, the shadow of SF will loom large. It's the general public they are gunning for now, and SF is the big honcho. CR is a delight for fans like us (it's his DN). SF is is GF.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Perhaps because his name was already attached to the list of prospects in July (along with Demange and MacKenzie). Only fansites like ours made the assumption that it was Demange from then onwards. So there is an element of redundancy to the 'news'.

Variety did report in July that Demange was *the* frontrunner. So it's not just fan websites.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/yann-demange-bond-25-daniel-craig-likely-to-return-1202507288/
    bondjames wrote: »

Variety did report in July that Demange was *the* frontrunner. So it's not just fan websites.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/yann-demange-bond-25-daniel-craig-likely-to-return-1202507288/
    Fair enough. Nobody knows who Demange is though. So I don't think it got play.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Fair enough. Nobody knows who Demange is though. So I don't think it got play.

It may not have. Anyway, we'll see what happens next.
    It’s often reported here that Denis Villeneuve is a Bond fan. Do we have any idea which Bond movies Denis Villeneuve especially likes and why? Steven Soderbergh has already gone on record by stating his preference for OHMSS out of all the Bonds, as has Chris Nolan. Does anyone know what Villeneuve’s is?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And @bondjames , I'm sure there will be some existential anxieties in B25, but unlike Mendes, DV can weave it into an entertaining movie with edge... much more of a masculine filmmaker than pudgy and dowdy Sam.

DV can make art films, but always from the man cave perspective...

Mendes defanged DC; DV properly treated Del Toro like the animal he is.

So, no matter what anx DC has in B25, I do expect an entertaining, masculine perspective. If Bond is to kill Blofeld, he will kill him-- hopefully over a candlelit dinner, with his wife n children watching....
    peter wrote: »
    And @bondjames , I'm sure there will be some existential anxieties in B25, but unlike Mendes, DV can weave it into an entertaining movie with edge... much more of a masculine filmmaker than pudgy and dowdy Sam.

So, no matter what anx DC has in B25, I do expect an entertaining, masculine perspective. If Bond is to kill Blofeld, he will kill him-- hopefully over a candlelit dinner, with his wife n children watching....
    That was a brilliant scene @peter. Yes, I agree that if Villeneuve makes a Bond film it will likely be more edgy/gritty.
    --

@bondsum, I don't think he has mentioned which Bond film he likes the most. I recall him only mentioning that he wanted to direct one.
    --

EDIT: Can anyone surmise why Baz made this comment now? If they can't get Villeneuve we could all be let down. Could it be that they are close to nabbing him?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

That was a brilliant scene @peter. Yes, I agree that if Villeneuve makes a Bond film it will likely be more edgy/gritty.
    --

@bondsum, I don't think he has mentioned which Bond film he likes the most. I recall him only mentioning that he wanted to direct one.
    --

EDIT: Can anyone surmise why Baz made this comment now? If they can't get Villeneuve we could all be let down. Could it be that they are close to nabbing him?

My thoughts exactly. Baz has been careful about what he reports in regards to Bond 25. Waiting on the Daniel Craig news which I am sure he heard rumblings of.
    BTW, here is Villeneuve's pitch for Bond:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sicario-Director-Wants-Do-James-Bond-Movie-Which-Needs-Happen-Immediately-85457.html

"I was raised with James Bond. I love James Bond movies. I would love to do a James Bond movie one day. Action is very cinematic. I’m not someone that loves dialogue – I am someone that loves movement. Action, if it’s well done, can be very poetic and meaningful."
    Been reflecting on the last two years, Something drastic happened early this year to change Craigs mind, I think there was a point in late 2015 pre Spectre release & part of 2016 where EON/Babs were keen on getting Mendes & Craig to do another together maybe for a 2018 release. I believe this would have been the case had SP crossed a billion.

Craig decides in early 2016 he wants to bow out, I think EON took a year to go over their options & gave P&W a year to come up with something really really good to entice Craig to come back. They had to convince him to come back IMO after seeing Barbara say how happy she was to get him back. Craig then decides to come back in March/April 2017.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Don't want any more "poetic action". We've had that with the Mendes films.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames , you've got me thinking about my favourite film of the year so much, I have to add onto my previous strands: I think, and I could be wrong, that DV is saying that life is painful, and life also includes the experience of Death; that although the protagonist will experience the pain of her decision, having the life she had, is worth the pain that will follow.

It truly is a disgusting choice to contemplate, and that makes her decision (and mine), that much braver;

And who's to say that you adopt a child, and the same tragedy won't happen? Life is joy, it is pain, it is death-- I'd rather experience all of this, and grow, than avoid it...
    @peter, I get what you're saying and I agree that this was what he was trying to convey. No doubt about it. That's what most took from it. I think I'm in the minority, and my objections rest fundamentally on the reasons I noted earlier. I don't view it from the protagonist's point of view. Rather I view it from the others whose lives were impacted by her choice. The difference with adoption is it's a 50/50 chance (or even far less, given statistical probabilities). This was a 100% certainty.

As I said, a moral quandary, which is something Mr. V. is very good at bringing up in his films.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2017 Posts: 8,773
    Sorry, @bondjames , this is a lively conversation, and I can't stop thinking, so;

As soon as we are born, as THE ARRIVAL shows, life is a risk, a gamble, and tragedy will occur, but to experience it, rather than avoid it (adopting a child rather than have your own (through good n bad)), is worth the risk.

My best friend was killed when I was fifteen... true story... if I had the chance to spare his death, and my pain, would I choose an alternative universe where I never met my friend, Eddy? Or would I accept that this is the tragedy of life, and never meet him.

I chose life with eddy; he made my life richer.

I choose life with my three kids; they make my life richer.

I choose living with all of its consequences. As did Amy Adams. An awful decision, but a brave one.

Thank you for discussing with me!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Christ, I'm being pathetic, but, simplified: I have two beautiful Golden Retrievers; I absolutely know that nature will kill them before me; but they make my life full and happy, and, although I will suffer with pain at the their deaths, that I know I will witness, and I knew before I even got them, I got them anyways...
    @peter, we're going to get told off for taking this off topic so I'll just make one more post on it. I really do get where you're coming from and there are no right or wrong answers here.

I don't want to comment specifically on your experiences because they are deeply personal to you, but
    if I hypothetically knew that someone (who hadn't been born yet) would 100% die from an incurable disease or illness that would cause him or her terrible suffering, and I had a chance not to have him or her endure that, then I would take that choice, no matter how less enriched my life is as a result. Particularly if there are other choices for companionship (even if not as rewarding) available to me.

If they are never born to begin with, then they have never experienced consciousness and so are none the worse of for it.

If I never have a chance to meet them to begin with, I have nobody to miss either. All I would miss is the 'idea' of them.

Would I be worse off? Yes, perhaps, but I can live with that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames , I feel it's time to smoke a joint (something I haven't done in 20 years).
    @peter, if you have a chance, you should watch Passengers. It deals with a similar moral question and is also a sci-fi film. I much preferred that, although it was lambasted while The Arrival was lauded. It's a little more 'Traditional Hollywood', but still an excellent film imho. Don't read any reviews.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    But what about the life they would have experienced and enjoyed? And could have contributed to others. It's not an easy equation to include them out. I'll stop there.

A moral dilemma for BOND 25 to take on, maybe. Yes, I'm relating to the topic. And I need to watch PASSENGERS.

There is also the obverse.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2017 Posts: 8,773
    Ha! @bondjames, I read the script (I haven't seen the film yet), and I loved it, although it made me sick!!
  • peter wrote: »
    Surface level? Emotionally, I do think it went deeper and certainly affected those with children: if we know what is to happen, with all the potential pain and suffering, would we still follow through on our path? That to me is what THE ARRIVAL was all about; and that question was answered by our protagonist, but, smartly leaves it open for us the audience.

I never thought myself the sentimental type, not fully, but I was floored and had a visceral emotional reaction. It, to me, was sublime.

Same with me @peter ;-)
    Surface level? Emotionally, I do think it went deeper and certainly affected those with children: if we know what is to happen, with all the potential pain and suffering, would we still follow through on our path? That to me is what THE ARRIVAL was all about; and that question was answered by our protagonist, but, smartly leaves it open for us the audience.

I never thought myself the sentimental type, not fully, but I was floored and had a visceral emotional reaction. It, to me, was sublime.

Same with me @peter ;-)

I love Arrival. For me it's the best sci-fi film since Blade Runner and CE3K before that. It was superbly made and structured. Visually stunning. Poetic. Intriguing. Deeply intelligent. Amy Adams gives a remarkable and understated performance which, IMO, should have got an Oscar nomination. Really hoping Denis does Bond. He will bring something special to the table.