Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
    gone-with-the-wind_a-G-2479277-0.jpg

Being my mother s favourite film, I never thought that this would be to my own liking. Well, glad to see that I was wrong. Epic movie.

Didn t know that George Reeves was in it:
    george_reeves_as_stuart_tarleton_t670.jpg?b3f6a5d7692ccc373d56e40cf708e3fa67d9af9d
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Punisher 89'
    Punisher89poster.jpg

With the new Punisher Netflix series coming out (November?) I decided to watch all the live action Punishers. Starting with Punisher 89', then onto Punisher 04', Punisher: War Zone, and DareDevil - Season 2.
    I have to admit, this movie is decent and probably was the best MARVEL movie for the better part of a decade until Blade was made in 1998. Dolph Lundgren is actually a good Frank Castle. He looks a bit like him from the comics. Lundgren pulls off the deranged psychopathic look well and he seems like a guy you just don't want to mess with. The movie does feel like a made for TV movie and does have some cheesy parts but the action is decent for its time. The vibe I get from this is the same vibe I get from Batman 89' and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 90'. It's dark and gritty and the world almost feels dirty. It's my least favorite of the Punisher movies but I'm by no means saying it's a bad film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've yet to see it fully (saw bits when I was a kid with my parents and found it quite boring, but then again I felt the same way about FRWL back then too).

Must get to it soon. I have the special edition blu.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've yet to see it fully (saw bits when I was a kid with my parents and found it quite boring, but then again I felt the same way about FRWL back then too).

Are you talking about Punisher or Gone With the Wind?

Gone With The Wind. Sorry, I should have quoted your post in my initial reply.

Wasn't that filmed in black and white first and then they added the colour later? Must have been quite a task.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BLOODY BIRTHDAY (1981)

bloody_birthday_1.jpg

There is something irresistible about a slasher film with a bunch of killer kids, the right amount of T&A and a title like BLOODY BIRTHDAY. Released in the same year as HALLOWEEN 2, MY BLOODY VALENTINE and FRIDAY THE 13TH PT. 2, not only does BLOODY BIRTHDAY capture the essence of the slasher genre in its heyday, it adds a twisted element that even CHILDREN OF THE CORN would fail to deliver with such proud cruelty and immorality three years later.

Consider a couple of really young kids, barely old enough to have outgrown dolls and water pistols. Not only do they spy on a young woman dancing nude in their bedroom, they poison, stab and kill people with real toxic products, knives and guns. Of course no one suspects the little ones, and so for most of the film, they can plan and execute their sick little games with little or no danger of being caught.

Granted, BLOODY BIRTHDAY is, in essence, a deranged collection of gory murder scenes and little else. The connective tissue isn't even a decent investigation of the murders; rather, it's the children moving from one target to the next without any remorse or regret. Despite being an amusing example of what it was like when we weren't yet appalled by blood and nudity the way our PC society is today, it's almost absurd that BLOODY BIRTHDAY didn't at least try to be a little bit more than that. Unlike HALLOWEEN and FRIDAY THE 13TH, which actually built tension and delivered a somewhat interesting story, BLOODY BIRTHDAY seeks neither context nor justification for its carnival of death. It merely sequences all the murders out and puts a full stop to that after about 85 minutes.

The surprising part is that they do get away with it! There's something deliciously twisted about the concept of killer kids whose age is still in the single digit range, but even more so about the nihilistic approach the film takes. Rather than dragging in some funky pedagogy or bad-youth explanations, we're simply asked to shut the brain down and go with it. Truth be told, most films wouldn't do well with such silliness. BLOODY BIRTHDAY, however, accidentally or not, is such an enjoyable ride on the crazy roller-coaster, it's one of the more praiseworthy "failed" slashers I've seen in a very long time.

Be sure not to confuse this film with that other birthday slasher released in 1981, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, which is a boring, much more held-back and anything but sexy excuse for an exciting hack-and-slash flick.

Gone With The Wind. Sorry, I should have quoted your post in my initial reply.

Wasn't that filmed in black and white first and then they added the colour later? Must have been quite a task.

They did? The colours are magnificent, so outstanding work if so.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,473
    Going to catch mother! later on tonight in theaters; I know absolutely nothing about it, past a random teaser trailer I saw. Looking forward to it.

Watched It Comes At Night late last night, easily part of my Top 10 of the year thus far. Very chilling, unnerving film, and felt much longer than the 90 minute runtime let on.

Nope. Filmed in colour from the beginning. No reworking needed on that part. The production was still troubled, though. Almost as much as that of CR '67.
    Gerard wrote: »

Nope. Filmed in colour from the beginning. No reworking needed on that part. The production was still troubled, though. Almost as much as that of CR '67.
    Wow. Thanks. Colour in the 1930s? That's impressive, especially when some films were black and white all the way into the 60s. I suppose that played into its box office success, just like how 3D did Avatar's
    Colour film was developed before WW1, but I guess it was too expensive for it to be used extensively.
    It had been used in parts of movies during the silent era, but the first full colour movie was Becky Sharp in 1935. By the end of the thirties, it was well established, but only used for big projects, including Gone With The Wind. In England, it wqs used for The Thief of Bagdad (the second version).
    Interesting.First ever use of colour film is from 1901/02.
    Yes, but those were handpainted. Georges Mélies had the habit of selling his movies in two versions : back & white, and colour. The colours were applied by hand on the films themselves, after filming. For technicolor films, you have to wait until the twenties, with movies such as Phantom of the Opera.
    A Fistful of Dynamite. 1972.
    Many moons ago BBC2 showed a season of spaghetti westerns. This was the first, and i've loved it ever since! Sergio Leone directs a marvellous epic entertainment. Rod Steiger and James Coburn hamming it up, spectacular set pieces and of course a wonderful score from the maestro Ennio Morricone!
    Generally dismissed in the shadow of his dollar trilogy, i still find it just as enjoyable.
    "Duck you sucker!"
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    IT (2017)
    mkJErdy.jpg

I was supposed to see Mother today. Sadly the theatre had some problem with its projector and we were all offered two free tickets for our troubles. Thankfully, IT was showing a few minutes later so I decided to view that instead. What a fantastic film this is! I will go so far as to say it's one of the best films I've seen all year. It's suitably frightening, but not in that 'cheap thrills' kind of manner. There is depth to the characters here and some of them are really quite well developed. The acting is first class by everyone, the characters are sympathetic and genuine, and the 'big bad' is quite terrifying in an old school manner.

While watching this I was reminded of some of the classic films (not just the horror ones) of the past due to the way it slowly builds. The cinematography is first class, the score is excellent and the environment is moody and creepy on account of the film maker's prowess. If only all films made today (some that cost so much more) could have such effort and care given to them, I thought. There's a little bit of King's Dreamcatcher (which I also enjoyed) in this, but this is far better. Congratulations to director Andy Muschietti, composer Benjamin Wallfisch, cinematographer Chung-hoon Chung (South Korean expertise in full effect) and the entire cast. Bring on Part 2! Highly recommended.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Brosnan wishes he was in IT instead of I.T.
    Good to see IT getting good attention around here. Maybe my favorite film this year.
    mother!

Really enjoyed this, but I can tell it's going to take me a few days and possibly another viewing to really formulate my thoughts. The one thing I know is I've never seen a film so weird and "off" in my life. The whole thing felt like a fever dream. Kudos to those involved for getting a studio to sign off on something like this.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    edited September 2017 Posts: 81
    A neat little Australian thriller called Killing Ground. Starts off pretty standard with a couple of different groups camping in a national park, then winds up with three different timelines that eventually converge. Hard to talk about without giving it away, but well worth a watch. I haven't yelled at a screen in a long time.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yes, but those were handpainted. Georges Mélies had the habit of selling his movies in two versions : back & white, and colour. The colours were applied by hand on the films themselves, after filming. For technicolor films, you have to wait until the twenties, with movies such as Phantom of the Opera.

It isn t smart to comment on a video you did not watch.
    Colour film was developed before WW1, but I guess it was too expensive for it to be used extensively.
    You raise a very interesting point. I've got an old movie magazine from 1921 that discusses a prizma color movie review for Bali the Unknown. It was around, but very rare, and of course wasn't anything like the technicolor process made popular in the 30s. Gone With the Wind is cinematic history, and is an amazing movie when you consider the constraints of production at the time, much like the Wizard of Oz.
    Many of the oldest colour movies have not been preserved.
    "Godzilla" 2014.

Have to say I really enjoyed this more than the Broderick movie. A big part of that be Godzilla looking how I have always remembered him from the classic Japanese movies from years ago.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Kill Bill vol 1 & 2, great films.
    Kill Bill vol 1 & 2, great films.

I keep thinking of my double bill rewatch of these from a couple weeks back - incredible pairing. When I first saw Vol. 2 upon release, I was much younger and didn't appreciate it as much as the first installment, due to a lack of action, but damn, do they highlight one another ever so well, especially when viewing them in one sitting.

The Bride vs. O-Ren makes for one of my favorite fight sequences.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Every time I watch a Tarantino movie, I'm always impressed. The guy simply
    knows how Film works and where to put a camera.
    Every time I watch a Tarantino movie, I'm always impressed. The guy simply
    knows how Film works and where to put a camera.

He can make the slowest scenes the most exciting. The entire underground bar scene from 'Inglourious Basterds' is nothing short of nail-biting.
    I enjoy RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION.

For me JACKIE BROWN is by far his best work — a really great film.

Never been too excited by the rest. (Haven't seen HATEFUL EIGHT yet though.)
    Strog wrote: »
    I enjoy RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION.

For me JACKIE BROWN is by far his best work — a really great film.

Never been too excited by the rest. (Haven't seen HATEFUL EIGHT yet though.)

Jackie Brown is easily one of my favorites of his, as well. I'm in the minority by saying that The Hateful Eight is my favorite of his.