No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

ColonelSun wrote: »
    Dennison wrote: »
    Barbara Broccoli is awesome,
    You clearly haven't read the leaked Spectre-related Sony e-mails. BB is surprisingly incompetent, it's a miracle that CR and SF are as great as they are.

What in the leaks (which I've never read) leads you to this statement?

12 MAY 2014: "It's a mess." - Sony Pictures EVP Elizabeth Cantillon on the script
    16 JUNE 2014: "2nd Unit – start Austria in December; Main Unit – starts in UK for 2 weeks, and then hiatus, and then Austria in January; Rough plan would have main unit going to Rome, with 2nd Unit following. Main unit back to UK for interiors; Main unit to Tangiers and other location (what WAS diamond mines – may have changed). Wrap photography end of June for a 20 week post production." - Peter Oillataguerre (Exec VP at MGM)
    04 JULY 2014: "There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal
    14 JULY 2014: "I'm really worried." - Sam Mendes to Amy Pascal

These are just a few snippets. From these e-mails it's clear as day that in the summer of 2014, one and a half years after the peremiere of Skyfall they still didn't have a script that was anywhere near finished/acceptable. Not only that, but at the same time they were already making arrangements related to filming. No competent producer would have allowed this mess to happen.

That's interesting,i've never seen these snippets before.
    It does indeed sound like everyone was running around like headless chickens,without getting anything actually done !

You clearly haven't read the leaked Spectre-related Sony e-mails. BB is surprisingly incompetent, it's a miracle that CR and SF are as great as they are.

12 MAY 2014: "It's a mess." - Sony Pictures EVP Elizabeth Cantillon on the script
    16 JUNE 2014: "2nd Unit – start Austria in December; Main Unit – starts in UK for 2 weeks, and then hiatus, and then Austria in January; Rough plan would have main unit going to Rome, with 2nd Unit following. Main unit back to UK for interiors; Main unit to Tangiers and other location (what WAS diamond mines – may have changed). Wrap photography end of June for a 20 week post production." - Peter Oillataguerre (Exec VP at MGM)
    04 JULY 2014: "There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal

These are just a few snippets. From these e-mails it's clear as day that in the summer of 2014, one and a half years after the peremiere of Skyfall they still didn't have a script that was anywhere near finished/acceptable. Not only that, but at the same time they were already making arrangements related to filming. No competent producer would have allowed this mess to happen.

Sorry, but that kind of situation isn't unusual in filmmaking/Hollywood - it happens.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I was going to make the same point @Dennison. I'm sure if we had access to the production of any major multi million dollar film we would see the same.

Sorry, but that kind of situation isn't unusual in filmmaking/Hollywood - it happens.
    NicNac wrote: »
    I was going to make the same point @Dennison. I'm sure if we had access to the production of any major multi million dollar film we would see the same.

Good point.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,512
    What's the saying? 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. These leaks seem to have turned everyone and his brother into hotshot producers it seems. This is Hollywood. Shit happens. 'Imagining' what it's like from behind your keyboard is not the same as living it.

I'm being serious when I say go and make film. Any film. 10 secs, 30 mins, 2hrs. You can call out their editorial judgement, but I gaurantee most of you wouldn't be able to manage of finance your way out of a paper bag... and that's just for starters.

You absolutely would. At the risk of causing offence (yeah, right), you've got to be pretty thick to assume you don't encounter multiple, serious obstacles and challenges along the way. It's not a couple of people pissing about with a camera. It's like going to war.
    barryt007 wrote: »

It does indeed sound like everyone was running around like headless chickens,without getting anything actually done !

What is worth understanding is that big budget franchise films (often with fixed release dates) are like thundering juggernauts, and to meet all the numerous and mounting deadlines (scripting, scouting, casting, production etc. etc.) the juggernaut has to keep moving - and it can be a very bumpy ride sometimes.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    @RC7 What sexism? I couldn't care less about BB's gender. The reason I singled her out and did not mention MGW is that she is the one running the show.

@Dennison Of course it happens in filmmaking/Hollywood. Guess what? Most movies are mediocre to awful. I expect more from Bond.

What is worth understanding is that big budget franchise films (often with fixed release dates) are like thundering juggernauts, and to meet all the numerous and mounting deadlines (scripting, scouting, casting, production etc. etc.) the juggernaut has to keep moving - and it can be a very bumpy ride sometimes.

Yep,i can understand that @ColonelSun .
    These are good points being made,i can see the logic.

• NicNac wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Since we all know so much about making films, especially a globally-accepted franchise as Bond, perhaps we should start our own film companies and get cracking, eh?
    It's obvious that a LARGE percentage of people regularly posting here would be better at producing Bond movies than Barbara Broccoli & co. are. I'm NOT being ironic. Barbara Broccoli would NEVER be producing movies the size of Bond if she weren't the daughter of Albert R. Broccoli.

Can't agree with that. The fact she is Cubby's daughter and was brought up within the industry and therefore had good schooling makes her 100% more qualified to produce movies than even the most switched on forum member.

Still she hasn't been able to sustain a coherent vision of Bond in any of the movies she's responsible for. There are so many times in the from her produced movies where she should have gone in and have a word with is the director, but obviously she either wasn't able, willing or even capable to realize what was going wrong ( i'm looking at you second half of DAD and QoS editing. And there would be quite a few more examples if I would care to write them down, believe me ). To me she hasn't shown any trait that would especially qualify her as a producer of whatever.

Yep,i can understand that @ColonelSun .
    These are good points being made,i can see the logic.

Yes, for someone to broadly paint BB incompetent based on some leaks which show SP had a less than smooth development and pre-production is failing to grasp the complexity of such a production.

• NicNac wrote: »

But not any multi million dollar production turns out a train wreck like SP

I think 'train-wreck' is a bit strong.
    No official EON Bond film is a train wreck imo.

When you see the end credits of a film and there are hundreds of names rolling up I sometimes wonder how any film is pulled together.
  • @RC7 What sexism? I couldn't care less about BB's gender. The reason I singled her out and did not mention MGW is that she is the one running the show.

@Dennison Of course it happens in filmmaking/Hollywood. Guess what? Most movies are mediocre to awful. I expect more from Bond.

Thumbs up. Both of them!
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I find it telling that I've read more recently about her hands on involvement in the Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool production than anything on recent Bond films.

She also spoke about the characters in that film (based on a true story) more passionately than she's ever spoken about Bond. She has other interests beyond Bond. Cubby was more Bond focused imho.

I'd like to see more of a hands on approach by her for the next one (and less for Craig) quite frankly. B25 will be his last, and she should get more hands on in order to prepare for succession.

Hear. Hear. I find it telling too. Perhaps Michael Wilson is more Bond focused than Barbara atm. Although we know Michael has a huge passion for photography, and is even on the advisory board of Tate Modern (or something similar) in which he advises exhibition directors on photography collections.
  • RC7RC7

In your mind and others it may have been a train wreck but the general consensus skews towards it being a well made film, that on most counts falls short of its predecessor. If you want to have an adult discussion it's best to allow some context rather than letting your particularly hysterical view muddy the discussion.
  • RC7 wrote: »

In your mind and others it may have been a train wreck but the general consensus skews towards it being a well made film, that on most counts falls short of its predecessor. If you want to have an adult discussion it's best to allow some context rather than letting your particularly hysterical view muddy the discussion.

How old is @noSolaceleft ?
    RC7 wrote: »

How old is @noSolaceleft ?

Ask him Gustav ..

A guide to how BB could have avoided the mess that was the production of Spectre:

Step 1: hire a competent writer the day after your latest Bond film premieres and tell him/her that he/she has 6 months to write the script (which is really a HUGE amount of time considering we are talking about 120-140 sparse pages)
    Step 2: reteat to Tahiti for 6 month to recover after the very tiring production of your previous Bond film
    Step 3: read the script, if you are satisfied with it, skip the next step, if not, proceed with step four
    Step 4: if you are not happy with the script, hire another competent writer to rewrite it, tell him/her that he/she has 6 months
    Step 5: Congratulations! You have a pretty damn good finished script*, and only 1 year has passed since the premiere of the latest Bond film. (*If not, you hired incompetent writers, which makes you incompetent and should never work on a Bond film ever again.)
    Step 6: start location scouting, previz, etc. and then follow the usual steps.
    A guide to how BB could have avoided the mess that was the production of Spectre:

Step 1: hire a competent writer the day after your latest Bond film premieres and tell him/her that he/she has 6 months to write the script (which is really a HUGE amount of time considering we are talking about 120-140 sparse pages)
    Step 2: reteat to Tahiti for 6 month to recover after the very tiring production of your previous Bond film
    Step 3: read the script, if you are satisfied with it, skip the next step, if not, proceed with step four
    Step 4: if you are not happy with the script, hire another competent writer to rewrite it, tell him/her that he/she has 6 months
    Step 5: Congratulations! You have a pretty damn good finished script*, and only 1 year has passed since the premiere of the latest Bond film. (*If not, you hired incompetent writers, which makes you incompetent and should never work on a Bond film ever again.)
    Step 6: start location scouting, previz, etc. and then follow the usual steps.

Hilarious! It's all so simple.

Having a decent 120-140 page long Bond script in your hands after 1.5 years is really that simple, escpecially if you are not the one who has to write it. Give me the amount of money they gave John Logan for Spectre, and I guarantee you that I will hand you a Bond script just as good as CR within ONE year.
  • RC7 wrote: »

In your mind and others it may have been a train wreck but the general consensus skews towards it being a well made film ...

No it isn't. The most polite assessment about I have heard is "I find it a little bit boring", while some are decidedly harder on it.
    Having a decent 120-140 page long Bond script in your hands after 1.5 years is really that simple, escpecially if you are not the one who has to write it. Give me the amount of money they gave John Logan for Spectre, and I guarantee you that I will hand you a Bond script just as good as CR within ONE year.

You guarantee? So you're an experienced screenwriter?

Assessments by who?
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

In your mind and others it may have been a train wreck but the general consensus skews towards it being a well made film ...

No it isn't. The most polite assessment about I have heard is "I find it a little bit boring", while some are decidedly harder on it.

In terms of craft it's a well made film. Editorially everyone has their own individual issues.

What makes you think Barbara was happy with Logan's work?

Why don't you become a screenwriter then? To be fair, Barbara Broccoli did go through all those steps. Probably didn't go to Tahiti though.

LOL, I would obviously play BB's role (hiring screenwriters to write the script) in this scenario.

@Dennison No, she didn't. Logan did not even start working on Spectre's script in the first six months after Skyfall.
    If you took 500 half decent screen writers and asked them to come up with their best first drafts. how many would come up with an idea as bonkers as the adopted brother idea?

And, if one of them did, would you choose that draft over the others? I cant see why any producer would have just read that, signed and then got on the phone straight away:

"no, no, no"

The producers must take some responsibility not only for that script but where it has now put the plot line.

LOL, I would obviously play BB's role (hiring screenwriters to write the script) in this scenario.

Of course you would.

• edited September 2017 Posts: 1,031

@Dennison No, she didn't. Logan did not even start working on Spectre's script in the first six months after Skyfall.

So, what does it matter if the work didn't start after six months? Spectre's not that bad a film too. It's not great granted, but it's no Die Another Day.