Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All eyez on me! The Tupac movie..
    8/10, it was different.. Cast looked the parts acting was bad.

Is it a beginning to end sort of biopic or does it focus on a certain section of his life?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @FoxRox, share your thoughts if you end up seeing it. Was sold out mostly this weekend and I didn't want to deal with scores of teenagers screaming and giggling every minute, so I'll go catch it on Tuesday.

I might try to see it Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Preferably at nighttime. I really would love a solid new horror film - even if it is an adaptation.
    Pacific Rim.

Well to me this was like Godzilla Vs Power Rangers. Somehow I managed to watch the whole thing and kind of enjoyed it. Guess this was one of those films that is a guilty pleasure for me? lol!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story & Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    C0C4ku0UQAAsDBG_jpg_large.jpeg

I've been wanting to watch these back-to-back for sometime now and I finally did it the other day. I can honestly say that I'll never watch these two movies in the same day ever again. I didn't get the experience I wanted out of doing that.
    I thought it would be neat to watch these films in one sitting since they are basically one story told in two parts. However, the fact that they are so different from one another made watching them awkward. Rogue One is dark, gritty, and so tonally different from the rest of the saga that it feels like a completely separate universe, which is one of the reasons why I rank it so low.

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    v1.bTsxMTI5MDkzMTtqOzE3NTAwOzEyMDA7OTAwOzEyMDA
    I hadn t seen this exciting thriller from 1978 since the 80s. Really fascinating plot and a great leading cast. Walter Gotell shows up too as SS officer Mundt, and another Bond connection is that Peter Lamont is in charge of the production design. Based on a book by Ira Levin.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I hadn t seen this exciting thriller from 1978 since the 80s. Really fascinating plot and a great leading cast. Walter Gotell shows up too as SS officer Mundt, and another Bond connection is that Peter Lamont is in charge of the production design. Based on a book by Ira Levin.
    Damn good film. Essential viewing imho. Glad you liked it and I'm surprised you hadn't seen it before.
    You didn t read my post properly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    You didn t read my post properly.
    Ah yes. My mistake. Still, one shouldn't wait 30 years to revisit this film imho. Thanks to you, I'm planning to take in a viewing in a few days. Super stuff.
    Yes. I had forgotten that Steve Guttenberg makes an appearance here. I must have seen this before the Police Academy films came out.
    ZORBA THE GREEK (1964) / Dir. Mihalis Kakogiannis
    zorbathegreek.jpg
    A very good film whose in-the-moment impression was soured by certain events that transpire two-thirds or so of the way through; not the events themselves so much as what would've been a fittingly poignant ending for one of the main characters (resting entirely on his inability to remedy his flaws) appears to occur too soon. It feels like the rest of the film will be spent scorning him. Indeed the ensuing minutes distractingly are. On reflection, though, the final third serves as more true to life. Changes in character often don't occur immediately, even after momentous events. The way the film does end, taking its time, is in small part redemptive, and manages to come off feeling more like the tiniest start of some greater process rather than as the final, definitive changing point (for better or worse) that the earlier ending might've implicated.

Bates is good as Basil, but Quinn is marvelous, and his Zorba, though pitched upon his arrival as something archaic and out of the wild, turns out to be the closest thing the film has to a shining example of humanity. His contrast to Basil's more civilized demeanor is obvious, and some of what he says and does might leave viewers tsk-tsking (especially in today’s culture). It's tempting to call him uncivilized; some would definitely go so far as 'barbaric.' But as the film progresses, in what is a far more interesting contrast, true barbarity becomes apparent in the rural inhabitants of the island. Zorba stands opposed to Basil, for sure, but also he stands more vehemently in opposition of everything backwards that the villagers represent, and in so doing he points to the balance we ought to strike in ourselves.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    edited September 2017 Posts: 191
    The last film I've watched is an odd, little known French sci-fi film called "Immortel ad Vitam", a rather good blend of CGI and real actors/sets. It's up on Youtube in it's entirety, it's quite entertaining.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    IT (2017) at my local little cinema. Really enjoyed this version. Bill Skarsgard is a brilliant Pennywise. His first time on screen is very creepy. Also I'm rereading the book at the moment (30 odd years after first reading). This (film) being Chapter 1 it concentrates on the kids' story. Has some very creepy moments. Probably see it again before it goes…
    THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN (1976)
    movie-the-pink-panther-strikes-again-big.jpg
    First PP movie for me. I remember being very curious about this as a kid, so it was great to finally get to see it. A bit of silly fun. I enjoyed it.

This is my third Chrome movie.

Great movie I have the boxset, I probably rank it joint third with The Pink Panther behind A shot in the Dark and Return of the Pink Panther. Sellers was a genius

Love those movies but you're dead right 'A Shot in the Dark' and 'Return..' were the best. I got a box set but for some reason 'Return..' wasn't included! Had to buy it separately at a later stage. "Do you have licance for that minkey?"
    bondjames wrote: »
    Damn good film. Essential viewing imho. Glad you liked it and I'm surprised you hadn't seen it before.

Great thriller! Remember seeing it first and seeing the great Gregory Peck in a role a million miles away fron Atticus Finch!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I'll have to add that to the list. They seem to have gotten a lot of great black and white film stars for a more modern (at that time) film. Lamont on production design seals it. One of the unsung (in comparison to Adam) heroes of Bond's visual life.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Top Secret, still a zany funny film.
    IT (2017) at my local little cinema. Really enjoyed this version. Bill Skarsgard is a brilliant Pennywise. His first time on screen is very creepy. Also I'm rereading the book at the moment (30 odd years after first reading). This (film) being Chapter 1 it concentrates on the kids' story. Has some very creepy moments. Probably see it again before it goes…

Cool. I really want to see this soon. Definitely a good review if you plan on seeing it again in the theater because that isn't cheap!
    ENEMY OF THE STATE (1998)
    51QR8SZKK7L._SY300_.jpg

Dynamite thriller? Then why did I zone out during half of the film or so?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Great thriller! Remember seeing it first and seeing the great Gregory Peck in a role a million miles away fron Atticus Finch!!

Peck steals the show here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,447
    HER

amis-robot-spanky-few-her.jpg

I must admit I'm rather overwhelmed by this unique story of introvert Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) who starts "dating" his advanced OS 'Samantha' (voiced by Scarlett Johansson) while trying to cope with divorcing his childhood sweetheart and long-time wife (Rooney Mara). He seeks solace among his colleagues (Amy Adams and Chris Pratt) but never with great success and so he always escapes back into his newly established relationship with Samantha. Even a promising blind date with a beautiful woman (Olivia Wilde) ends in a fiasco because Theodore can't stomach the pressure of a blind adherence to social norms. Meanwhile, his intimacies with Samantha provide him with an almost surreal sense of comfort, which, however, still often conflicts with his longing for physical love.

Set in the near future, HER doesn't pursue clichés in either the 'dystopian' or 'bright future' genre, but shapes its very own cosmetically sterile world which serves as a warm shell for Theodore to hide in. Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema avoids the colour blue as much as possible due to its over-abundance in many futuristic science fiction films. Samantha's interface is orange, clean and sober, and her satin voice comes off as amiable and charming. These details help to underpin all our expectations of her female albeit digital beauty. Recognising the voice of Scarlett Johansson, an actress who has for many years now been celebrated for her natural attractiveness, more or less settles the deal in that regard.

As the story is told from the perspective of a loner and an introvert, HER may set about 75 % of the audience on an illuminating expedition into a world that is largely unknown to them, a world in which people recharge their inner battery by spending time 'alone' but not 'lonely'. The truth is that many introverts build a well-defended social safe zone for themselves, similar to how Theodore escapes the traps and clutches of every day's social interactions in favour of his ever closer relationship with an A.I. whom he trusts will never embarrass or emotionally damage him. But as Samantha adopts more human characteristics, even a programmable entity like her will eventually bring its own share of complications and challenges to the game.

Spike Jonze wrote and directed this impressive thesis on how increasingly 'smarter' technology locked up in computers, mobile phones and certain portable games can transcend its digital reality and become as large a part of our lives as friends, family and, indeed, lovers. Cleverly speculating on the various ways such man-A.I. bonds can invite both happiness and pain, HER asks us to reflect upon our own admissive tendencies towards the many seducing fruits of modern operating systems. Neither clouded by abstruseness nor by discursive opacity, HER negotiates its somewhat unusual theme with skill, never once straying into aridity or encumbering itself with rhetorical banner-waving. Instead, we only focus on Theodore and experience his vulnerability, confusion and romantic desires. Due to Phoenix and Johansson giving very convincing performances, it's fairly easy to be engaged in their emotional struggles while leaving the obvious dogmatic assertions at home. HER may in fact force you to revise some ideas you are likely to have right now about how acceptable it is to emotionally connect with an A.I. and about some of the hidden obstacles such a connection consequently establishes vis-à-vis our interactions with other people.

HER is a beautiful and moving film, simple and devoid of loud drama and theatrical pathos, well acted, incredibly well shot and very intelligent in its approach to the subject matter.

Highest of recommends.

5/5
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi, loved this film-- thanks for your review...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,102

Mathis1 wrote: »
    THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN (1976)
    movie-the-pink-panther-strikes-again-big.jpg
    First PP movie for me. I remember being very curious about this as a kid, so it was great to finally get to see it. A bit of silly fun. I enjoyed it.

This is my third Chrome movie.

Great movie I have the boxset, I probably rank it joint third with The Pink Panther behind A shot in the Dark and Return of the Pink Panther. Sellers was a genius

Love those movies but you're dead right 'A Shot in the Dark' and 'Return..' were the best. I got a box set but for some reason 'Return..' wasn't included! Had to buy it separately at a later stage. "Do you have licance for that minkey?"

Likewise bought Return separate also it has to do with distribution rights though I read recently that's not a issue now, hopefully a decent Bluray boxset will be released the films I have are on dvd.
    I think you mixed up the posts somehow.
    Rollerball (1975)

This movie is a piece of

crap-pile_400x400.jpg
    It (2017). Wow; I am seriously impressed. Has amazing comedy and horror value. This was AWESOME.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    001 wrote: »
    Rollerball (1975)

This movie is a piece of

crap-pile_400x400.jpg

What makes you say that? If you think a film is a pile of poo, at least say why…oh, and you are wrong by the way! (IMHO). A great dystopian film from the second golden age of Hollywood. I have just recently got the Arrow release and enjoyed it a lot more than I did on my first viewing all those years ago.
    81EI8t2eYyL._SX342_.jpg

Now, those are all massive exaggerations. It is so-so, but does have its moments.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A Serbian film. Banned in many countries, an odd, bad taste but very predictable horror movie.
    001 wrote: »
    Rollerball (1975)

This movie is a piece of

crap-pile_400x400.jpg

What makes you say that? If you think a film is a pile of poo, at least say why…oh, and you are wrong by the way! (IMHO). A great dystopian film from the second golden age of Hollywood. I have just recently got the Arrow release and enjoyed it a lot more than I did on my first viewing all those years ago.

Agreed. Rollerball is a superb film. Directed by Nornan Jewison, the Game scenes are terrifically staged and James Caan is great as always and i always loved John Houseman vocal delivery (remember him in The Fogs great opening sequence?)
    Avoid the poor John McTiernan remake. Now if you said that was a pile of poo....!
    BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW (2010)

A really clever, original, bizarre and umpleasant film by Panos Cosmatos. Proof that you don t need a huge budget to make something special, just a lot of creativity.

During the first half, I wasn t sure if I liked it or not, but then it turned into something truly magnificent. A future cult classic, I think.

It apparently has a sequel called Stranger Things. Would really like to see that one.