The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

Comments

• Just voicing my opinion as a fraction of either the majority or the minority.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    vzok wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll likely do the same and wait until the last moment so it's as fresh as possible when it's time to discuss.

Thats very wise when it comes to Memento!

That it is! Hell, that one might demand a second viewing.

No need to watch it twice. If you think you might forget anything just write it down.

If the movie's good enough, I've no problems watching it twice. Jotting stuff down as I go will only make it so I'm paying less attention than I'd like.
    I'm happy to seek out and watch the next film while discussing the previous, if the majority are in agreement.

How well that would work depends to some extent on how far the discussion progresses and how much of what there is to be said can be said in a week rather than in two weeks, though this is obviously variable; some films are likely to generate more comments than others. In that case, the one way to control might be to, say, batch watch the first five films within a month and open up discussion for all of them at once (but this is messy, and the only way it would work would be if the films were, as was tossed around some pages back, related thematically or in some other fashion conducive to comparing/contrasting).

Going back to the two options at hand now, however, my initial hunch is that two weeks for discussion might prove too long (i.e. two weeks will more often feel like a stretch than one week feels too tight a window).

@Thunderfinger is probably right that most will watch it on the weekend anyway, so I can kind of see a pace developing by which the weekend ends up being primarily for watching and wrapping up discussion of the previous entry, early week for discussion of the new entry that peaks by mid-week and tails off through the Friday and weekend as everyone begins watching the next.

Happy to try out the longer pace, first, though as @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 suggests before making any long-term calls. And again if the longer window is what everyone wants, I'm happy to abide it. No complaints either way from me.
    I think most will watch during the weekend anyway.

I've gotten used to watching movies in parts, myself. I like it.
  • @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 As usual I am late to the party. I’ll have to read through this topic and see how it all works, but I’m certainly honored to see my name mentioned with other members of the forum. I have many favorite films, but many are obscure or older (as has been noted earlier I’m a fan of the old eurospy group of films) but if you’re still interested I’ll try and see what I can come up with that won’t be difficult for other members to find. I haven’t been on for some time because of my ever changing schedule, so I’m not sure how often I can participate, but I appreciate being mentioned.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Looks like I'm on my own with Memento! Asked the wife if she'd like to watch it with me, and apparently she's seen it more times than she can count. "It's never quite as good as the first time..."
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    I've seen it only once, about a decade ago. I remember little of it, so it'll be virtually like watching it for the first time.

Planning on viewing it tomorrow.
    I'll watch memento on sunday or monday.
  • SharkBait wrote: »

You could start it on Monday and finish on Sunday.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I watched it last night.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 As usual I am late to the party. I’ll have to read through this topic and see how it all works, but I’m certainly honored to see my name mentioned with other members of the forum. I have many favorite films, but many are obscure or older (as has been noted earlier I’m a fan of the old eurospy group of films) but if you’re still interested I’ll try and see what I can come up with that won’t be difficult for other members to find. I haven’t been on for some time because of my ever changing schedule, so I’m not sure how often I can participate, but I appreciate being mentioned.

@Legionnaire, by all means make a suggestion if you find yourself interested. Even if you can't participate most of the time I'd love to hear what film you'd select and it would give the group a film to see that they might not have before.
    SharkBait wrote: »

You could start it on Monday and finish on Sunday.

You're right!

Second part on sunday and first part on monday!
    Damn. My brain just froze.
  • There are many good films listed here, and choosing a favorite of my own isn’t particularly easy. I’m tempted to toss out several, but that’s probably not the point of all this, so I’ll go with The Sand Pebbles, a 1966 Steve McQueen movie. Not particularly obscure but a favorite none the less.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There are many good films listed here, and choosing a favorite of my own isn’t particularly easy. I’m tempted to toss out several, but that’s probably not the point of all this, so I’ll go with The Sand Pebbles, a 1966 Steve McQueen movie. Not particularly obscure but a favorite none the less.

@Legionnaire, I've added your pick to the list. I randomly selected a number from 1 to 39 of the total participants, and 21 came up. That is the spot in the list that you currently have.
    There are many good films listed here, and choosing a favorite of my own isn’t particularly easy. I’m tempted to toss out several, but that’s probably not the point of all this, so I’ll go with The Sand Pebbles, a 1966 Steve McQueen movie. Not particularly obscure but a favorite none the less.

Just watched it last weekend .
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 17,301
    May need a few days until I have the chance to watch Memento. Something's come up, and I'm a bit uncertain about how much time I'll have for movies.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I'm ordering a Frank Sinatra Triple Pack today, which includes The Detective. Might take a few weeks until delivery. Hopefully I'll get it in time!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So I just watched Memento. Must be 15 years since I saw it, which at least means my VHS is still in pristine order.

Guy Pearce is so young here, you can hardly recognize him.
  • Yeah, he does look really young there. It's been a rough 15 years for Guy.

prometheus.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Yeah, he does look really young there. It's been a rough 15 years for Guy.

prometheus.jpg

He has aged really well ;)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Alright Ill be the first to give my thoughts on Memento. Spoiler free in case you haven't seen it yet.. though I think most of us have. I watched this film a couple years ago because I love Christopher Nolans films and the premise sounded very intresting to me. I was immideatly blown away by how amazingly made this films is. By keeping the audience in the dark it is able to captivate the viewers mind for pretty much the whole film. Its almost like a chore to watch- a fun chore- because you have to be constantly paying attention or you will get lost and confused. This film is a perfect example of how to make a film that is unique and intresting and not just some retread untalented hollywood garbage. It really takes cinema to new heights by having a story that is incredibly out of order and its up to the viewer to peice thogether the puzzle themselves. Its great and immediately became my second favorite film( only behind CR) Ive seen it 4 times in the last 3 years and it always keeps my attention the whole time through becaue I keep picking up on new elements of the story that I didnt notice before. Guy pierce gives the performance that in my opinion hasnt been matched so far in his career and probably never will. Carrie anne moss and joe pantoliano are also great and act the hell out of their roles. But the credit has to go to christopher and his brother who were able to come up with this absurd premise for a film. Who would think of soemthing like this? A film that plays a game with its audience. There isnt much left to say besides getting into the plot and what really happend and when and what is really going on but ill leave that for someone else to say...
    It is a really smart story.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I remember watching Memento on its release and being blown away by it, after which I was intent on watching every subsequent Nolan film. I knew immediately I was witnessing an emerging great talent, it's been some years since I watched Memento I'll rewatch it tomorrow when I can give it my full attention.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Memento was my first Nolan film as well.

It is based on a short story by his brother Jonathan. Anyone who read that?

It was later elaborated on and given the title Memento Mori.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I haven't, but from what I've seen, Jonathan is a damn good writer, so I may have to give it a go some day.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Can I see it someplace?
    The book? I don t know.

Interesting story telling technique that the black and white sequences, which are the oldest, are shown chronologically, while the colour sequences are shown in reverse.
    I've seen Memento at least 3 times, but it's been awhile and I'm happy to re-watch. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. It's been a busy weekend even though I've been mostly sitting on my arse. Sadly I'm at home instead of Telluride, but I've done my best to follow it as much as possible anyway, and been grinning from ear to ear a lot. I expected good things, it's been even better. Also, there's US Open. Since I'm in Europe, the time difference to both Colorado and New York means I haven't been sleeping at night. So... But I'll get to Memento soon...
  • @SharkBait If it comes up for review I'll be interested in your thoughts. On the other hand as for Memento. It is a good film, just not one that I like. It’s very clever and therein is my problem with it. The structure of color juxtaposed with black and white is nicely done as a technique, but I’ve never really liked clever story lines. I saw it several years ago, and watching it again only made it worse since I knew what to expect and so there was no mystery for me as the audience.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 6,747
    I watched Memento and enjoyed it; will offer my thoughts later.