No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Murdock wrote: »
    Those 4 tracks were good. It's his action music that stinks on ice.

@Murdock I would agree that some of the action tracks aren't nearly as good. But then again, when are action tracks any good at all? It isn't not generally music one can listen to on its own.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TripAces wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Those 4 tracks were good. It's his action music that stinks on ice.

@Murdock I would agree that some of the action tracks aren't nearly as good. But then again, when are action tracks any good at all? It isn't not generally music one can listen to on its own.
    Most of the David Arnold action tracks are brilliant.
    This is the challenge that faces composers for movies like Bond. The spectrum is very wide - from pure action to moments of levity and also tragedy.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I trust Yann Demange would do a fantastic job.
    I have never heard of Yann Demange before but the way you guys speak of him I trust him to give us a great final Craig Bond film.

Is Yann a Bond Fan? Cause thats a must for a Bond director.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Apparently he has offered ideas that wowed the producers.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    IMDb lists one feature film on his CV, namely 71, along with the upcoming White Boy Rick. The rest are tv series and documentaries.

So where is this confidence coming from, particularly for a complex production like Bond? Just curious. Was 71 such a blow out film? I'd never even heard of it until his name was bandied about in the press.

bondjames wrote: »
    IMDb lists one feature film on his CV, namely 71, along with the upcoming White Boy Rick. The rest are tv series and documentaries.

So where is this confidence coming from, particularly for a complex production like Bond? Just curious. Was 71 such a blow out film? I'd never even heard of it until his name was bandied about in the press.

The simple answer is "yes".

71 is truly a masterfully handled film. It's brisk, intense and thrilling. If people are worried that Demange is either inexperienced or another "auteur" nane, just need to watch the film.

His TV stuff is also mostly series' he has directed the entirety of. They are (for lack of beeter word) "his" shows, opposed to him just directing someone's scripts.

He's the real deal. Clearly EON have got to watch enough of White Boy Rick to know that Demange is their guy. I'm very excited about his appointment. According to his Instagram, he's in New York currently.....Craig lives there as well

The simple answer is "yes".

71 is truly a masterfully handled film. It's brisk, intense and thrilling. If people are worried that Demange is either inexperienced or another "auteur" nane, just need to watch the film.

His TV stuff is also mostly series' he has directed the entirety of. They are (for lack of beeter word) "his" shows, opposed to him just directing someone's scripts.

He's the real deal. Clearly EON have got to watch enough of White Boy Rick to know that Demange is their guy. I'm very excited about his appointment. According to his Instagram, he's in New York currently.....Craig lives there as well
    Ok, thanks. That's reassuring. If true it's him it will certainly be an interesting appointment. I presume he has a go to writer as well, who likely will be brought in at some later stage to clean up & finesse P&W's work.
  • 001 wrote: »
    Is the scooby doo gang returning for B25 ? Do you want them back ?

jinkies-check-out-what-the-scooby-doo-gang-looks-like-45-years-later-jpeg-222870.jpg

I like the alternate label Commander Bond And His Howling Commandos.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I think Arnold's scores for CR and especially QoS are way better than Newman's SF soundtrack ... Even I still like SF's soundtrack - it fits the film quite well actually.

I thought Adele's Oscar for "Skyfall" was well-deserved but since "Whinings On The Wall" got one, too I think the Oscar's lost all credibity.
    001 wrote: »
    Is the scooby doo gang returning for B25 ? Do you want them back ?

jinkies-check-out-what-the-scooby-doo-gang-looks-like-45-years-later-jpeg-222870.jpg

I like the alternate label Commander Bond And His Howling Commandos.
    Tanner and Q are far from being commandos, however. ;)

Don't know about Moneypenny. She's better than those two, but hasn't shown much competence either. Mallory/M is the only one who fits the bill.

So, Scooby Gang it is. :))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I am totally against Yann Demange as a Bond director until @Pierce2Daniel acknowledges him as a French director. ;) But more seriously, I really need to check out '71, I heard nothing but great things about it.

As long as one of them is not para surfing through ice bergs? I am all for new ideas!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

As long as one of them is not para surfing through ice bergs? I am all for new ideas!
    So you're okay if they give Bond an Iron Man suit. ;)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Iron Bond™
  • RC7RC7
    I've been touting Demange for years. It's not about the quantity of his work, it's about the quality. He's a talented director in the vein of Campbell. Someone who cut their teeth in TV.

When the argument of auteurs vs. journeyman crops up, I always think of Demange because he's neither. He'd bring style and energy, but he'd work within the Bond framework.
    Minion wrote: »
    Iron Bond™
    :))
    TripAces wrote: »
    I am always a bit saddened by Newman criticism, because I just don't get it. I was a Newman fan long before he even got this gig, and so I was excited. And his score for SF did not disappoint. SP was not as good, but there are still some beautiful moments in that score.

I mean, DAMN: this is good stuff:

Fully agree @TripAces

My favourites are actually these....in a row. From the expanded bootleg score, which was used for sreenings for the Academy Awards:

01 - Grand Bazaar (Ronson, Cars):
    The entire opening of this track to me is beyond majestic. It's mysterious, it got me goosebumps, and you know you're in for a big, exciting yet realistic chase of a terrorist. Lovely Turkish sounds as well (as executed by the lovely electric drums):

02 - Istanbul (Bikes, Roof):
    1min 12sec onwards is especially lovely. A little bit of Monty Norman's theme, but not too much. Perfectly dosed!

03 - The Bloody Shot Part 1 (Train, Digger):
    Lovely tongue-in-cheek during the bits starting at 1min 00sec. 1min 52 sec and onwards is very very John Barry esque to me.

04 - The Bloody Shot Part 2 (Tunnels, Shot):
    From 1min 30sec onwards it's especially marvellous. It really pinned me down in my cinema seat back in 2012. Did anyone in here actually know this is the best composed...heartbeat ever?

05 - Main Titles - Adèle - SkyFall (Film Version):
    And then straight into the slightly shortened film version of "SkyFall". I Always prefer the film versions. No wonder that in the end both Paul Epworth/Adele Atkins and Thomas Newman got Oscar nominations for their music.

If someone in here has the guts to call tracks 1 to 5, listened in the above order, bad? Then he or she is completely tone deaf. Nah, not tone deaf, since this is my personal opinion hehe. But still, calling the above tracks rubbish, bad or groce is a slight overreaction to me.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    @Gustav_Graves Very well said and completely agreee. Personally speaking, Newman's Skyfall score is easily my favourite Bond score since Serra's GoldenEye score. "New Digs" alone is miles above anything David Arnold has ever done.
    @Gustav_Graves Very well said and completely agreee. Personally speaking, Newman's Skyfall score is easily my favourite Bond score since Serra's GoldenEye score. "New Digs" alone is miles above anything David Arnold has ever done.
    I'm inclined to agree although we're in the minority opinion. I much prefer creativity on the composition front as opposed to weak pastiche. The same goes for Bond actor performances. Make it your own.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    So I'm hearing now that it is in fact Yann Demange.

De gustibus non est disputandum. However, your taste in Bond music is still somehow frightening.
    Very brave to sign this chap up for a double bill imho.

Yeah, it.....gets me excited. Reading about this man.....I kinda love his style. He loves good fashion as well ;-).
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Demange directing one action-light, Logan-esque send-off sounds far more believable than him directing two Bond films back-to-back. Do you still believe they are going to make two movies at the same time?

Yeah, it.....gets me excited. Reading about this man.....I kinda love his style. He loves good fashion as well ;-).
    Do get excited about Demange. Do not get excited about the back-to-back filming rumour.
    Demange directing one action-light, Logan-esque send-off sounds far more believable than him directing two Bond films back-to-back. Do you still believe they are going to make two movies at the same time?

No. But can't we just trust Daniel Craig's words for once? We saw that entire interview no? I prefer believing Mr Craig than an obscure Bond fan blog. Bond @25 will be Craig's final. But I'm looking entirely forward to it! Make no mistake, I wanna wear a white tuxedo during the royal premiere November 2019! I want to have A LOT of Craig signatures for probably the best send-off ever for a Bond actor! :-)
    Yann is a seriously smart filmmaker.

There are some brilliant choices made throughout 71 - for instance, the opening riot scene has a consistently disquiet feeling of uneasy. It's made more paranoid and intense by the sound design. The threat of violence is almost as punishing as watching any fighting. However, when the fight kicks off, it has a frenetic and shocking intensity.

Also the decision to change the filming formats (portions of 71 are filmed on both digital and film) depending on the setting is inspired. My favourite segment is the apocalyptic and surrealistic post-bombing scene where Jack O'Connell walks in a haze.

I can see Demange doing a stripped-down character focussed Bond movie. This is exactly what I want. I'm glad to hear he has the job.

Whilst, most of his films have a harsh and gritty aesthetic - Yann's classy and polished personal style convinces me that this guy understands the more glamorous side of Bond's world.

71+Premiere+2014+Toronto+International+Film+GhNChN50QlXl.jpg
    Yann+Demange+Closing+Ceremony+Red+Carpet+Arrivals+EbLvVBTnONZl.jpg
    I wanna make out with Yann! :-D
  • RC7RC7
    Yann is a seriously smart filmmaker.

There are some brilliant choices made throughout 71 - for instance, the opening riot scene has a consistently disquiet feeling of uneasy. It's made more paranoid and intense by the sound design. The threat of violence is almost as punishing as watching any fighting. However, when the fight kicks off, it has a frenetic and shocking intensity.

Also the decision to change the filming formats (portions of 71 are filmed on both digital and film) depending on the setting is inspired. My favourite segment is the apocalyptic and surrealistic post-bombing scene where Jack O'Connell walks in a haze.

I can see Demange doing a stripped-down character focussed Bond movie. This is exactly what I want. I'm glad to hear he has the job.

Whilst, most of his films have a harsh and gritty aesthetic - Yann's classy and polished personal style convinces me that this guy understands the more glamorous side of Bond's world.

71+Premiere+2014+Toronto+International+Film+GhNChN50QlXl.jpg
    Yann+Demange+Closing+Ceremony+Red+Carpet+Arrivals+EbLvVBTnONZl.jpg

If I recall correctly, you and I have mentioned him several times over the last few years, but I think it fell on deaf ears somewhat. I have to say despite really wanting him, I never thought he'd get it. If he has indeed bagged the job, I'm going to be seriously excited for this movie. I think he could nail it.