The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Does LTK feel cheap to you?

Cheap, un-Bondian, and just plain bad. I may need to revisit it at some point though as I've only seen it once.

Ah, definitely revisit it. These craig films have proved bond can get gritty and real. Retroactively making LTK great
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Cheap, un-Bondian, and just plain bad. I may need to revisit it at some point though as I've only seen it once.

Ah, definitely revisit it. These craig films have proved bond can get gritty and real. Retroactively making LTK great

Considering that I don't like that Bond has gotten gritty and real, I don't think that will help LTK's case.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

I can see why you would think that. And compared to other Bond films, it doesn't have the 'money on screen' feel.
    I guess it's a late 80's film, shot largely on location, Key West and Mexico. Very few studio shots, and when it is, it's all in Mexico. It's a very outdoors type of Bond film. Some excellent action set pieces, and an unique storyline to put Bond as a rogue agent seeking revenge. At least it was unique at the time. ;)

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

It's very late 80s, early 90s style.

Gritty realism can look cheap. Perhaps that was the point of the thing?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I always wondered what this was about:

In Nightfire, the lorry you can jump into to entre Drake's castle says to the guard:

"Ich habe 6 Stunden gefahren."

Why would you have your wine for your party delivered by a guy who has to drive for 6 hours?
    Also, 6 hours? Did he buy his wine from someone in Italy or Germany? A 6 hour drive would take you further than Austria, right?

Always wondered what that was about. Used to amuse me everytime though.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Benny wrote: »

I can see why you would think that. And compared to other Bond films, it doesn't have the 'money on screen' feel.
    I guess it's a late 80's film, shot largely on location, Key West and Mexico. Very few studio shots, and when it is, it's all in Mexico. It's a very outdoors type of Bond film. Some excellent action set pieces, and an unique storyline to put Bond as a rogue agent seeking revenge. At least it was unique at the time. ;)

Very true, and I hear its more expensive to shoot on location in the long run.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Speaking of Dalton, based on what we know about his proposed third film, do you think it was better for the franchise that it was never made? Personally, I would love to have an early 90's sci-fi thriller where Bond is fighting Chinese robots, but would that have sunk the franchise even further in the eyes of the general public?
    I not convinced at all that Dalton would want to play Bond v Robots.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    What got me thinking about it was this interview I read the other day, where Dalton seemed quite excited about his next Bond movie. Hard to say what iteration of the plot this was, but here's what he said about it in 2014:

"We had the script. They were interviewing directors. We were really rolling forward, ready to start. It was actually quite a good story, I thought."

http://theweek.com/articles/447045/timothy-dalton-opens-about-penny-dreadful-leaving-james-bond-demon-all

What's also interesting about that interview, which I didn't know before, was ol' Cubby Broccoli apparently offered TD a 4-to-5-film contract when EON's legal disputes were resolved. All this time I thought Tim got canned by the producers to get a fresh face for Goldeneye, but it actually sounds like the decision to not return was his.

"When [the next movie] did come about, it was probably four or five years later," he explains. "[Broccoli] asked if I would come back, and I said, 'Well, I've actually changed my mind a little bit. I think that I'd love to do one. Try and take the best of the two that I have done, and consolidate them into a third.' And he said, quite rightly, 'Look, Tim. You can't do one. There's no way, after a five-year gap between movies that you can come back and just do one. You'd have to plan on four or five.' And I thought, oh, no, that would be the rest of my life. Too much. Too long. So I respectfully declined." When Goldeneye hit theaters in 1995, it was Pierce Brosnan in the starring role.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Ah thats a shame. I love brosnan (as bond; not all his films) but I would have loved to see dalton do 5 films. Hes a fool.
    Cubby is right in a way. You can't have Dalton in Goldeneye then not use him for TND.
    Minion wrote: »
    What got me thinking about it was this interview I read the other day, where Dalton seemed quite excited about his next Bond movie. Hard to say what iteration of the plot this was, but here's what he said about it in 2014:

"We had the script. They were interviewing directors. We were really rolling forward, ready to start. It was actually quite a good story, I thought."

http://theweek.com/articles/447045/timothy-dalton-opens-about-penny-dreadful-leaving-james-bond-demon-all

What's also interesting about that interview, which I didn't know before, was ol' Cubby Broccoli apparently offered TD a 4-to-5-film contract when EON's legal disputes were resolved. All this time I thought Tim got canned by the producers to get a fresh face for Goldeneye, but it actually sounds like the decision to not return was his.

"When [the next movie] did come about, it was probably four or five years later," he explains. "[Broccoli] asked if I would come back, and I said, 'Well, I've actually changed my mind a little bit. I think that I'd love to do one. Try and take the best of the two that I have done, and consolidate them into a third.' And he said, quite rightly, 'Look, Tim. You can't do one. There's no way, after a five-year gap between movies that you can come back and just do one. You'd have to plan on four or five.' And I thought, oh, no, that would be the rest of my life. Too much. Too long. So I respectfully declined." When Goldeneye hit theaters in 1995, it was Pierce Brosnan in the starring role.

I always thought United Artists president John Calley had pressured EON to recast, and that was that. Timothy Dalton's words paint a different picture, though it's not necessarily incompatible with the Calley situation. If Cubby Broccoli wanted Dalton back, he probably knew he needed to have him on board for several films, if he hoped to have a least a chance of convincing UA to keep him in the role, not to mention it was important for the Bond brand to have a stable actor associated with the role. It seems that was not to be. I have to respect Timothy Dalton's decision, but how I wish things hadn't turned out that way. Of all the Bond actors, he's the one I most wish had made another film.

I'm not sure he could've played Bond for that many movies, though. He was almost fifty when GoldenEye was released. If he had played the role three more times, he would've entered Roger Moore territory, in terms of age.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    mattjoes wrote: »

I always thought United Artists president John Calley had pressured EON to recast, and that was that. Timothy Dalton's words paint a different picture, though it's not necessarily incompatible with the Calley situation. If Cubby Broccoli wanted Dalton back, he probably knew he needed to have him on board for several films, if he hoped to have a least a chance of convincing UA to keep him in the role, not to mention it was important for the Bond brand to have a stable actor associated with the role. It seems that was not to be. I have to respect Timothy Dalton's decision, but how I wish things hadn't turned out that way. Of all the Bond actors, he's the one I most wish had made another film.

I'm not sure he could've played Bond for that many movies, though. He was almost fifty when GoldenEye was released. If he had played the role three more times, he would've entered Roger Moore territory, in terms of age.
    Indeed. Plus he wasn't physical that agile of a Bond, either. Not that Brosnan was (no hating on Brosnan, just stating the facts) either, and like you said he was approaching his fifties. Moore also seemed to move like a pappy during intense situations in most of his films post-Spy.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Obviously it's to move the story forward. But in SP, during the final act. When Bond is bought to the old Mi6 building, rigged for demolition, why is there a perfectly good boat left behind?
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'm only being a little hyperbolic when I say Tim could play Bond *now*. He looked great on Penny Dreadful. But he certainly could have filled the 1995-2002 window.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I'm only being a little hyperbolic when I say Tim could play Bond *now*. He looked great on Penny Dreadful. But he certainly could have filled the 1995-2002 window.

Considering how well Dalton looked in Hot Fuzz a decade ago I would have to agree that Dalts could have done Brosnans run, though the freshness of a new Bond in 1995 would always have been a bigger impact. I prefer Dalton greatly to Brosnan, though Brosnan fit the 90's well.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    A question about Bond's Beretta from the Fleming novels. We know how Major Boothroyd described the weapon, but I was wondering if any members have experience of this weapon and could share their thoughts on it.
    Speaking of Dalton, based on what we know about his proposed third film, do you think it was better for the franchise that it was never made? Personally, I would love to have an early 90's sci-fi thriller where Bond is fighting Chinese robots, but would that have sunk the franchise even further in the eyes of the general public?

It would have been DAD times ten and could have destroyed the franchise.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Haha, flying robots done with stop motion technique and poor CGI in the early 90s... I don't think the franchise would've survived that. :))
    Is there a place for robots in a future Bond film? Or would it be too much?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Is there a place for robots in a future Bond film? Or would it be too much?

Not just robots, nanobots.
    GW180H180
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Benny wrote: »
    Obviously it's to move the story forward. But in SP, during the final act. When Bond is bought to the old Mi6 building, rigged for demolition, why is there a perfectly good boat left behind?

Wouldve said more obviously is the fact that the third act is a shambles.
    Is there a place for robots in a future Bond film?

No. Snooper was bad enough.

Utter bollocks idea and I really can't understand how it even got through a brainstorming session for a Dalton film. Even for a Brozza vehicle it would have been embarrassing.
    Maybe in the 22nd Century.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Haha, flying robots done with stop motion technique and poor CGI in the early 90s... I don't think the franchise would've survived that. :))

Yes, everybody salivates over the prospect of a third Dalton and in theory, given the direction they were heading with LTK, that sounds like it should have been a tremendous film. But what they were actually working on would have been a disaster. I really do think we were spared an early 90s Dalton dud that would have tarnished his otherwise quite praiseworthy run of two.

For me, it's as if Brosnan had stopped with GE, TND, and TWINE (though I know others think differently of his various films).

Yes, everybody salivates over the prospect of a third Dalton and in theory, given the direction they were heading with LTK, that sounds like it should have been a tremendous film. But what they were actually working on would have been a disaster. I really do think we were spared an early 90s Dalton dud that would have tarnished his otherwise quite praiseworthy run of two.
    Agreed. Although, the later script after jettisoning the robot story, The GoldenEye by Michael France, wasn't that great, either. It was very messy, though having its moments, I am very glad that Dalton bailed out on it, as well. The shootout at the KGB with Xenia messing up everything by wielding a machine pistol and firing recklessly, then with Bond hanging from a remote controlled mini-helicopter across the Kremlin skyline was just... not fanciable for a Bond movie. Especially done in the 90s. With the resources and technology of today, you could easily achieve that, but in the 90s it would've been laughable and hideous.

Glad GoldenEye was rewritten with Brosnan in mind.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Bond hanging from a remote controlled mini-helicopter across the Kremlin skyline was just... not fanciable for a Bond movie. Especially done in the 90s. With the resources and technology of today, you could easily achieve that, but in the 90s it would've been laughable and hideous.

Sounds pretty laughable now to be honest. The best effects in the world cant make up for a lame concept.
    Bond hanging from a remote controlled mini-helicopter across the Kremlin skyline was just... not fanciable for a Bond movie. Especially done in the 90s. With the resources and technology of today, you could easily achieve that, but in the 90s it would've been laughable and hideous.

Sounds pretty laughable now to be honest. The best effects in the world cant make up for a lame concept.
    I have to agree with that.
    Question: where is the thread about dreams on Bond? I once had a really weird one that I want to share and it would be the proper place.

Agreed. Although, the later script after jettisoning the robot story, The GoldenEye by Michael France, wasn't that great, either. It was very messy, though having its moments, I am very glad that Dalton bailed out on it, as well. The shootout at the KGB with Xenia messing up everything by wielding a machine pistol and firing recklessly, then with Bond hanging from a remote controlled mini-helicopter across the Kremlin skyline was just... not fanciable for a Bond movie. Especially done in the 90s. With the resources and technology of today, you could easily achieve that, but in the 90s it would've been laughable and hideous.

Glad GoldenEye was rewritten with Brosnan in mind.

Is there a copy of this script floating around, or just leaked tidbits?
  • The whole thing exists somewhere. All 300+ pages of it. I've actually never read the whole thing. It was definitely a very strangely structured screenplay. I can't imagine why France wrote it that way or how he got anyone to seriously consider it, untrimmed.