No Time To Die: Production Diary

19649659679699702585

Comments

  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Posts: 2,725
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'd prefer having the traditional opening gunbarrel. Closing on the gunbarrel seems too wink-wink at the audience for closing out Craig's era.

    How about both??
    One standard and one CR style
  • Posts: 10,534
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'd prefer having the traditional opening gunbarrel. Closing on the gunbarrel seems too wink-wink at the audience for closing out Craig's era.

    How about both??
    One standard and one CR style

    That might be overkill. I just don't think it's necessary to end it with a gunbarrel; it would feel a little forced most likely.
  • Posts: 12,598
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'd prefer having the traditional opening gunbarrel. Closing on the gunbarrel seems too wink-wink at the audience for closing out Craig's era.

    Precisely. The GB has been tampered with far too many times in the Craig era. Once was more than enough.
  • Posts: 10,534
    I think it worked well in CR. QoS and SF's uses of it were so-so; I'd have preferred each at the start instead. SP's is good besides missing the barrel's movement.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Posts: 2,725
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think it worked well in CR. QoS and SF's uses of it were so-so; I'd have preferred each at the start instead. SP's is good besides missing the barrel's movement.

    Whats wrong with the movement?
  • Posts: 10,534
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think it worked well in CR. QoS and SF's uses of it were so-so; I'd have preferred each at the start instead. SP's is good besides missing the barrel's movement.

    Whats wrong with the movement?

    It just fades out instead of the usual shaking movement of older gun barrels. Not a big deal but I'd like to see that little quirk return again.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,407
    I LOVED the CR gunbarrel and loved the Spectre one as well. Controversially I also loved how it just went to black, and we got the text "The dead are alive" which had cool subtext, and then straight into Dia de los Muertos. As long as the gunbarrel is at the beginning of B25, I have faith that it'll be cool.

    Casino Royale, the pseudo-retconning of the gunbarrel to represent his first kill on the path to becoming 007 was brilliant, and it was so unexpected that I was blown away by it when it happened.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. I would argue that DC perfected the swagger in QoS.

    He just wasn't given any help by Mendes in SP. The arty, ponderous style was anti-swagger which is why it seemed odd in context.
    Yes, that's probably it, because as you note he had it down in QoS.

    I liked your earlier post and suggestions but don't see the point in bringing back Craig at this stage unless Waltz also returns and they wrap up the interconnected story. Swann is not necessary, but unfortunately Blofeld took an interest in her (and gave her a threatening staredown at the end) so they've somewhat tied their hands.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,407
    The threatening staredown (assuming you mean while he was lying on the bridge) could just as likely have been for Bond, no? I feel they could safely proceed with the Craig/Waltz story without having to mention Swann at all. Bond is in retirement, M is dealing with the crisis of Blofeld having escaped and needs Bond to return.

    I'd have loved a simple post-credits in Spectre showing heavily armed police/guards escorting Blofeld to a cell in some military prison or something, and then slowly zooming in to show one of the guards wearing a Spectre ring. People everywhere and all that.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,057
    That could be your B25 PTS right there.
  • Posts: 1,904
    Gunbarrel has to be at the start again for Bond 25 and Craig also needs to shoot another gunbarrel. He needs to be the only Bond actor to have done a different gunbarrel for all his movies.
  • Posts: 12,598
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Gunbarrel has to be at the start again for Bond 25 and Craig also needs to shoot another gunbarrel. He needs to be the only Bond actor to have done a different gunbarrel for all his movies.

    Yes. I'd also like to hear a traditional version of the Bond Theme, the music in sync with the dots and melody played twice after the gun is fired. This hasn't happened since TLD.
    In addition, and I'm going to be picky here, I'd like the composer to put their individual stamp on the sequence by variety in instruments. For instance, YOLT is traditional in it's music sequencing, but has a bass melody. LALD and FYEO are both classic yet distinctive. Lets forgo that same Bond Theme arrangement that's been used since, when........ TWINE?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP's box office was impressive. The decline in the US was precipitous and disconcerting however. Some have excused that by suggesting SF was an anomaly. That's true. It was, but the simple fact is the continuation narrative shouldn't have lost so much % box office stateside. It didn't connect, and I'm quite sure EON will consider that when looking at whether to continue this story so directly 4 years on.

    As I've said before, the US still controls the global media narrative. There is a reason Craig announced his return on Colbert.

    Indeed. And I think it therefore would be a great idea to predominantly film the 25th Bond film in the US of A. Hasn't been done in a long long time, except for some minor US-cameo's.

    Well, I don't know, Ive never been much of a fan of Bond in america. I just feel he doesnt belong in the u.s.

    Nonsense. First of all, James Bond is a globetrotter, a world citizen. And he has given us some wonderful US locations in films like GF, DAF, LALD, AVTAK and LTK. So why do you say "he doesn't belong there"?

    I agree with James Bond Kenya on this one. Bond in the US has rarely if ever been a success. He always seems diminished slightly on American soil. May be its because the harsh realities of geopolitics have to kick in and underlying absurdities of British exceptionalism are exposed for what they are - fantasy.
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP's box office was impressive. The decline in the US was precipitous and disconcerting however. Some have excused that by suggesting SF was an anomaly. That's true. It was, but the simple fact is the continuation narrative shouldn't have lost so much % box office stateside. It didn't connect, and I'm quite sure EON will consider that when looking at whether to continue this story so directly 4 years on.

    As I've said before, the US still controls the global media narrative. There is a reason Craig announced his return on Colbert.

    Indeed. And I think it therefore would be a great idea to predominantly film the 25th Bond film in the US of A. Hasn't been done in a long long time, except for some minor US-cameo's.

    Well, I don't know, Ive never been much of a fan of Bond in america. I just feel he doesnt belong in the u.s.

    Nonsense. First of all, James Bond is a globetrotter, a world citizen. And he has given us some wonderful US locations in films like GF, DAF, LALD, AVTAK and LTK. So why do you say "he doesn't belong there"?
    As I said to your suggestion previously, I have no problems with OO7 in the US. I agree it's been a while. I'd just prefer it if they don't do it in a cheap fashion, like they normally do. Let it feel a bit more glamorous & stylish.

    May be the issue is the way they've used the US previously. I agree it should be possible to make it work and there are so many amazing locations available. A Bond villain hanging out in a Frank Lloyd Wright house would be awesome.

    But for whatever reason Bond in the US has never felt right.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    IMO B25 will be a complete breakaway from the other DC films and this is why:

    The SP experience appears to have been miserable for most of the creative principals. Mendes arrived with zero game, Craig injured himself and endured the majority of the shoot in pain, Waltz couldn't get a sighter on Blofeld, the writers conspired to throw their hands in the air and abandon all pretense of quality in the third act.

    Most importantly of all, the entire film was at great pains to connect narrative tissue between all of Craig's previous efforts. It was clearly designed to cap his tenure off with a resounding, satisfying conclusion. As we know full well, it didn't.

    Yes, it scored heavily at the worldwide box office. But you do not need to be an industry analyst to see that much of that turn-out was built on the goodwill that Skyfall generated. SF resonated with girlfriends, wives, generalist audiences who only interact with the brand in an incidental fashion. If the product appeals, it will be consumed.

    I think EON are under no illusions that SP eroded much of that goodwill. Not that it was bad - there are many individual elements to recommend it, not least is the high production sheen we have come to expect and treasure. SP was simply inert - there was nothing for generalist audiences to take away and think "Yes, I'll be on the lookout for the next one."

    The error lay in looking backwards. Trying to make sense of what had come before at the expense of telling a gripping story in an exotic world.

    Everything we have seen (or not seen) since SP was released points toward a re-evaluation. First, a long period of radio silence. Then, P&W came out and said that B25 will be a departure. Finally, Craig's apparent hesitation.

    My opinion, and I base this only on speculation, is that Daniel Craig planned for SP to be a 'get-out' if it proved to be successful. A parachute. When the box office rolled in, everything started off well. He may have known about various problems with distributors or with MGM, etc, and felt like it might be time.

    But then the ambiguous reviews began to mount. The on-set experience remained a bitter memory. He knew they'd botched the narrative in SP. The critics certainly knew it. Over time, once the cinema lights dimmed, the fans knew it too.

    So DC wondered how he could make things work again, like they did in CR and SF. He, more than most actors, seems to take great, great pride in his contribution to each and every Bond film. "Don't be shit," is his advice to any prospective Bond. It isn't arrogance, its respect and perfectionism.

    Then he begins his regular conversations with P&W.

    "We need to break away, lads. I'm thinking about another one. But I need to step away from the shit we've created. Help me do that."

    In isolation, of course it is tempting to assume that the narrative strand that everyone has been waiting for - the rise of Blofeld - was set up to continue in SP. I'm not so sure. As M intoned with suitable gravity in that film, it's about knowing when not to pull the trigger. Bond faced off against a very personal adversary and won. Yes, you could argue the spectacle was mishandled, or that Waltz wasn't given enough to do, but the fact remains that he is incarcerated and Bond has overcome the itchy trigger finger that hounded him throughout DC's other movies.

    Waltz probably deserves another go, and there may even be a contract, but I don't think it'll be triggered. I don't think Swann will be back either. Bond wasn't leaving MI6, he was simply concluding his story in a manner we have seen in almost every Bond film - with a bit of R&R.

    I think that the (admittedly scant) evidence we have points to a confident, brassy standalone for Daniel Craig's last mission. He's served his arc and done it well. It's time to sever all the links that are holding him back.

    Naturally, the Scoobs will return. They are bedrock, as evidenced by 20 other Bond films.

    But Spectre is dead.

    Well argued post but if past behaviour is the best indicator of future perofrmance then B25 will be a continuation of SP. I accept everything is speculation at this point but getting back Blofeld was a big deal for EON. They waited years for that. They now have a very clear and obvious chance to make the YOLT that never was during the Connery/Lazenby era.

    As for SP and its reception and the implications for B25 this conversation could go on endlessly. All I will say is that I've heard the same criticisms of QOS ("it was sh*t", "the audience and critics hated it") but QoS was followed by the biggest film in Bond history, so these alleged dud entries clearly never do too much harm. Ditto LTK was supposedly a disaster but was followed by the highly successful GE.

    My suspicion is that with Bond, if people are slightly disappointed this just increases their hunger for the next one to be a step up.

    Any way, SP is not the sh*t on the doorstep people make it out to be. No It wasn't as successful as SF but what were the chances of that happening?

    The DC era has overall been highly successful from a critical and commercial perspective. It would be strange if they suddenly changed tack dramatically for the last entry in his era. Which is why everything points towards YOLT (or something very closely inspired by it) for the denouement.
  • Posts: 365
    Getafix wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP's box office was impressive. The decline in the US was precipitous and disconcerting however. Some have excused that by suggesting SF was an anomaly. That's true. It was, but the simple fact is the continuation narrative shouldn't have lost so much % box office stateside. It didn't connect, and I'm quite sure EON will consider that when looking at whether to continue this story so directly 4 years on.

    As I've said before, the US still controls the global media narrative. There is a reason Craig announced his return on Colbert.

    Indeed. And I think it therefore would be a great idea to predominantly film the 25th Bond film in the US of A. Hasn't been done in a long long time, except for some minor US-cameo's.

    Well, I don't know, Ive never been much of a fan of Bond in america. I just feel he doesnt belong in the u.s.

    Nonsense. First of all, James Bond is a globetrotter, a world citizen. And he has given us some wonderful US locations in films like GF, DAF, LALD, AVTAK and LTK. So why do you say "he doesn't belong there"?

    I agree with James Bond Kenya on this one. Bond in the US has rarely if ever been a success. He always seems diminished slightly on American soil. May be its because the harsh realities of geopolitics have to kick in and underlying absurdities of British exceptionalism are exposed for what they are - fantasy.
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP's box office was impressive. The decline in the US was precipitous and disconcerting however. Some have excused that by suggesting SF was an anomaly. That's true. It was, but the simple fact is the continuation narrative shouldn't have lost so much % box office stateside. It didn't connect, and I'm quite sure EON will consider that when looking at whether to continue this story so directly 4 years on.

    As I've said before, the US still controls the global media narrative. There is a reason Craig announced his return on Colbert.

    Indeed. And I think it therefore would be a great idea to predominantly film the 25th Bond film in the US of A. Hasn't been done in a long long time, except for some minor US-cameo's.

    Well, I don't know, Ive never been much of a fan of Bond in america. I just feel he doesnt belong in the u.s.

    Nonsense. First of all, James Bond is a globetrotter, a world citizen. And he has given us some wonderful US locations in films like GF, DAF, LALD, AVTAK and LTK. So why do you say "he doesn't belong there"?
    As I said to your suggestion previously, I have no problems with OO7 in the US. I agree it's been a while. I'd just prefer it if they don't do it in a cheap fashion, like they normally do. Let it feel a bit more glamorous & stylish.

    May be the issue is the way they've used the US previously. I agree it should be possible to make it work and there are so many amazing locations available. A Bond villain hanging out in a Frank Lloyd Wright house would be awesome.

    But for whatever reason Bond in the US has never felt right.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    IMO B25 will be a complete breakaway from the other DC films and this is why:

    The SP experience appears to have been miserable for most of the creative principals. Mendes arrived with zero game, Craig injured himself and endured the majority of the shoot in pain, Waltz couldn't get a sighter on Blofeld, the writers conspired to throw their hands in the air and abandon all pretense of quality in the third act.

    Most importantly of all, the entire film was at great pains to connect narrative tissue between all of Craig's previous efforts. It was clearly designed to cap his tenure off with a resounding, satisfying conclusion. As we know full well, it didn't.

    Yes, it scored heavily at the worldwide box office. But you do not need to be an industry analyst to see that much of that turn-out was built on the goodwill that Skyfall generated. SF resonated with girlfriends, wives, generalist audiences who only interact with the brand in an incidental fashion. If the product appeals, it will be consumed.

    I think EON are under no illusions that SP eroded much of that goodwill. Not that it was bad - there are many individual elements to recommend it, not least is the high production sheen we have come to expect and treasure. SP was simply inert - there was nothing for generalist audiences to take away and think "Yes, I'll be on the lookout for the next one."

    The error lay in looking backwards. Trying to make sense of what had come before at the expense of telling a gripping story in an exotic world.

    Everything we have seen (or not seen) since SP was released points toward a re-evaluation. First, a long period of radio silence. Then, P&W came out and said that B25 will be a departure. Finally, Craig's apparent hesitation.

    My opinion, and I base this only on speculation, is that Daniel Craig planned for SP to be a 'get-out' if it proved to be successful. A parachute. When the box office rolled in, everything started off well. He may have known about various problems with distributors or with MGM, etc, and felt like it might be time.

    But then the ambiguous reviews began to mount. The on-set experience remained a bitter memory. He knew they'd botched the narrative in SP. The critics certainly knew it. Over time, once the cinema lights dimmed, the fans knew it too.

    So DC wondered how he could make things work again, like they did in CR and SF. He, more than most actors, seems to take great, great pride in his contribution to each and every Bond film. "Don't be shit," is his advice to any prospective Bond. It isn't arrogance, its respect and perfectionism.

    Then he begins his regular conversations with P&W.

    "We need to break away, lads. I'm thinking about another one. But I need to step away from the shit we've created. Help me do that."

    In isolation, of course it is tempting to assume that the narrative strand that everyone has been waiting for - the rise of Blofeld - was set up to continue in SP. I'm not so sure. As M intoned with suitable gravity in that film, it's about knowing when not to pull the trigger. Bond faced off against a very personal adversary and won. Yes, you could argue the spectacle was mishandled, or that Waltz wasn't given enough to do, but the fact remains that he is incarcerated and Bond has overcome the itchy trigger finger that hounded him throughout DC's other movies.

    Waltz probably deserves another go, and there may even be a contract, but I don't think it'll be triggered. I don't think Swann will be back either. Bond wasn't leaving MI6, he was simply concluding his story in a manner we have seen in almost every Bond film - with a bit of R&R.

    I think that the (admittedly scant) evidence we have points to a confident, brassy standalone for Daniel Craig's last mission. He's served his arc and done it well. It's time to sever all the links that are holding him back.

    Naturally, the Scoobs will return. They are bedrock, as evidenced by 20 other Bond films.

    But Spectre is dead.

    Well argued post but if past behaviour is the best indicator of future perofrmance then B25 will be a continuation of SP. I accept everything is speculation at this point but getting back Blofeld was a big deal for EON. They waited years for that. They now have a very clear and obvious chance to make the YOLT that never was during the Connery/Lazenby era.

    As for SP and its reception and the implications for B25 this conversation could go on endlessly. All I will say is that I've heard the same criticisms of QOS ("it was sh*t", "the audience and critics hated it") but QoS was followed by the biggest film in Bond history, so these alleged dud entries clearly never do too much harm. Ditto LTK was supposedly a disaster but was followed by the highly successful GE.

    My suspicion is that with Bond, if people are slightly disappointed this just increases their hunger for the next one to be a step up.

    Any way, SP is not the sh*t on the doorstep people make it out to be. No It wasn't as successful as SF but what were the chances of that happening?

    The DC era has overall been highly successful from a critical and commercial perspective. It would be strange if they suddenly changed tack dramatically for the last entry in his era. Which is why everything points towards YOLT (or something very closely inspired by it) for the denouement.

    You make a compelling case and I certainly wouldn't be against this scenario.

    My only caveat is that a direct continuation of the Spectre narrative carries a higher degree of difficulty than a clean slate, considering the initial failure to establish a strong enmity between Bond and Blofeld.

    Which isn't, of course, a valid reason to abandon that course of action.
  • Posts: 1,031
    GetCarter wrote: »
    It would be cool if Bond drowns the final villain in a grimy toilet basin after a desperate scrap.

    Nice way to bring DC full circle.

    Would that mean closing on the gunbarrel? ;)

    Thats actually not a bad idea. They should end it with him saying bond...James bond then shooting a guy and going into the gunbarrel.
    Ooo Im just getting so giddy and excited thinking about how good this film could be.
    They better not cock this up.

    No, bad idea. We've had all of that at the start of CR, end of CR, end of QoS and end of SF. Gunbarrel has to be at the start and we need the proper opening up of the iris too.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Posts: 3,139
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cjksg
    This was on my twitter feed this morning thought I would share.
  • Posts: 11,425
    Dennison wrote: »
    GetCarter wrote: »
    It would be cool if Bond drowns the final villain in a grimy toilet basin after a desperate scrap.

    Nice way to bring DC full circle.

    Would that mean closing on the gunbarrel? ;)

    Thats actually not a bad idea. They should end it with him saying bond...James bond then shooting a guy and going into the gunbarrel.
    Ooo Im just getting so giddy and excited thinking about how good this film could be.
    They better not cock this up.

    No, bad idea. We've had all of that at the start of CR, end of CR, end of QoS and end of SF. Gunbarrel has to be at the start and we need the proper opening up of the iris too.

    Amen to that.
  • Posts: 1,031
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cjksg
    This was on my twitter feed this morning thought I would share.

    I was gutted to miss a special event with Lucy Fleming recently - she was reading from her mother's (Celia Johnson) letters. I think she's right and that's what they've pretty much done in the film series - given a new Bond for each generation.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,463
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cjksg
    This was on my twitter feed this morning thought I would share.

    She's spot on. This is why a period film is off the cards.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Posts: 281
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    If Jeffrey Wright is coming back it makes sense for Bond to go to America, but it should be one among a few locations in bond 25

    I'm not sure. I mean, everyone knows that I greatly respect director Sam Mendes. I love both his Bond films. Bit his talk that he wanted to have both 'hot and cold scenery' in SP kinda escaped me. If you only choose locations to alternate between 'hot and cold' cinematography, so that it has this balance and that artistry.....escapes me.

    You choose locations because the story is asking that. In my story the adventure was really predominantly set in the USA because my story was set there. The story should Always be the driving force for locations, not a sense of artistry.

    I agree, the yellow filters used in Sp didn't help with that hot/ cold idea either, but one of the aspects of Bond that I personally love is the use of locations, Sp didn't use them well. Tswlm or FYEO made great use of locations IMHO
  • Posts: 789
    Well I read it & I'm glad he coming back he one of my favourtie Bond 12 years ago I was glad. The title should Risico. One unused Ian Fleming titles. One more time with girls,fighting Villain & driving in the Aston Martin again 1 more time.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,644
    Tom Cruise broke his angle filming Mission Interminable 100. I wonder if Craig will do less stunts/action in Bond 25? He injured his knee making Spectre and I'd imagine his reluctance to return to the role might have been due to a fear of future injuries. He has to be careful with his knee - he had to have surgery.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Did he injure his knee while making Spectre? Or was it just a scheduled operation that he was due to attend?
  • Posts: 19,339
    And sliced off the tip of his finger making QOS..
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And sliced off the tip of his finger making QOS..

    I thought that was CR when Vesper sneezed?
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Posts: 281
    And separated his shoulder during qos
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And sliced off the tip of his finger making QOS..

    I thought that was CR when Vesper sneezed?
    :)) Good one!!
  • Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And sliced off the tip of his finger making QOS..

    I thought that was CR when Vesper sneezed?

    Hahaha fair play Wiz,that made me laugh out loud...bravo !

  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Posts: 2,138
    Still think they should nag Martin Campbell to come back for one more. He and Craig should finish what they started. He captured action and Drama perfectly in Casino.
Sign In or Register to comment.