Who should be a Bond girl?

Comments

• Marion Cotillard :-)

2dafd368cce18c5713aa40c28eab26ec--french-actress-marion-cotillard.jpg
    Marion Cotillard :-)

2dafd368cce18c5713aa40c28eab26ec--french-actress-marion-cotillard.jpg

I hope so.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    She is within a decade of Craig at least.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Cotillard would've been great. But, we have had too much of the Vesper type in the recent 11 years. I'd like to see something different.
    She would've been a good Vesper. About 28 at the time.
    She kind of played an afterlife Vesper in Inception.
    She kind of played an afterlife Vesper in Inception.

Yes, I suppose so.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    She's a very good actress, but they've od'd on French girls during the Craig era, and even though I'm generally partial to them, the last one was a major disappointment for me.

They'll probably have to go with someone age appropriate for Craig (unless he's going to be in another one of his brooding QoS revenge moods in B25).

So what are the options in the +40 yr range? Limited surely.
    Kate Beckinsale, Milla Jovovich, the list goes on...
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    All a bit too well known. I suppose they could cast a primarily foreign language older actress who isn't all that familiar to English speaking audiences. Like Sidse Babett Knudsen for instance.
    Cotillard is 40+.
    Cotillard is 40+.
    I didn't realize that. I can't see her getting it though as she's quite famous.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    bondjames wrote: »
    She's a very good actress, but they've od'd on French girls during the Craig era, and even though I'm generally partial to them, the last one was a major disappointment for me.

They'll probably have to go with someone age appropriate for Craig (unless he's going to be in another one of his brooding QoS revenge moods in B25).

Kerry Washington is in her 40s now I think. She'd be good. If they're going the YOLT route though we should be looking at Japanese actresses who could play Kissy's part. Hoping if they do go down that road that they don't use that name again though, and same with Tiger and Diko; just make up new characters to fill those roles, reusing one offs sets a dangerous precedent imo.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Yes to both. :D

What about your wife, @MajorDSmythe? :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,894

Naturally, she'd also make the list. I'm trying to coax her out of retirement, but she doesn't seem interested.

Kerry Washington is in her 40s now I think. She'd be good. If they're going the YOLT route though we should be looking at Japanese actresses who could play Kissy's part. Hoping if they do go down that road that they don't use that name again though, and same with Tiger and Diko; just make up new characters to fill those roles, reusing one offs sets a dangerous precedent imo.
    Yes, if they go down this path, they will surely come up with new reimagined characters, like they've essentially done with White/Swann (emulating Draco/Tracy to a degree, but different).

I've only seen Washington in Django, where she had a small part and was impressive.
    Cotillard is 40+.
    I didn't realize that. I can't see her getting it though as she's quite famous.

I'm against big names for Bond girls. Even Monica Bellucci was a bit too famous for my taste. But I'd make an exception for Cate Blanchett. In fact having the two act together again would be a dream come true.

Naturally, she'd also make the list. I'm trying to coax her out of retirement, but she doesn't seem interested.
    Cast yourself in the role of Bond, and have the wife as the Bond Girl. That's a lifetime achievement, old boy. :D

Cast yourself in the role of Bond, and have the wife as the Bond Girl. That's a lifetime achievement, old boy. :D

I like that idea, I like it a lot.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Karen Gillan oh my... Too young for Craig though
    True and that'a a problem for me. I am not too keen on them being forced into a corner with 'women' (as opposed to girls) in order to accommodate an ageing Bond.

Well, unless it's Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale or Carice van Houten of course. I'll make exceptions there.

They could have a younger woman involved that is not a romantic interest along the lines of Camile in QOS.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Bring Camille back
    True and that'a a problem for me. I am not too keen on them being forced into a corner with 'women' (as opposed to girls) in order to accommodate an ageing Bond.

Well, unless it's Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale or Carice van Houten of course. I'll make exceptions there.

They could have a younger woman involved that is not a romantic interest along the lines of Camile in QOS.
    These are the kind of compromises I would prefer they not make. I'm expecting Craig to go out 'on a high' as he proclaimed. That means beating Rog's number (I think he had 4 conquests in AVTAK).

These are the kind of compromises I would prefer they not make. I'm expecting Craig to go out 'on a high' as he proclaimed. That means beating Rog's number (I think he had 4 conquests in AVTAK).

That's still a record isn't it? Ironic when he was 57 lol.

All these suggestions are too old for me. Bond girl should be late 30's at oldest. Sorry if that's sexist or whatever but that's Bond lore for me.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I'd be okay if he doesn't get laid at all to be honest. I want them to go the YOLT route. Maybe he can have sex with the Kissy stand in before he goes to fight Blofeld (sort of a passionate reawakening of the old 007, he trains and then finally gets his end away to signify he's back and ready for the mission) or if they go all out and follow the book ending then obviously he'll have to at the end (and I hope they include her being pregnant if they do go down that road, makes the ending all the more tragic) but I don't need him beating Moore's record. He should go out on a high by giving the performance of his life time in a long awaited proper adaptation of the best Bond novel imo.

I'd be okay if he doesn't get laid at all to be honest. I want them to go the YOLT route. Maybe he can have sex with the Kissy stand in before he goes to fight Blofeld (sort of a passionate reawakening of the old 007, he trains and then finally gets his end away to signify he's back and ready for the mission) or if they go all out and follow the book ending then obviously he'll have to at the end (and I hope they include her being pregnant if they do go down that road, makes the ending all the more tragic) but I don't need him beating Moore's record. He should go out on a high by giving the performance of his life time in a long awaited proper adaptation of the best Bond novel imo.

Yes I'm fine with that as well. No need to stick to a formula.

Didn't Connery have as many in FRWL (although Sylvia Trench was from the previous film)? And two at the same time!

I like that idea, I like it a lot.
    @MajorDSmythe: "The name is Smythe. Dexter Smythe. I'm the man. I'm the man."
    Missions Handler: "Did you tell him to say that?"
    Mrs. Smythe (maiden name Love-Hewitt): "No! Well... Sort of."
    Missions Handler: "Oh, God!"
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

I can understand. I was only partially joking in my prior post however. Much as I'd like a grittier film with a really excellent and 'authentic' final Craig performance (which I don't believe SP was btw), I also long for a return to the wittier, lighter fare of yore, with a bit of carefree fun.

I'm not looking for anyone rummaging around for a bar of soap necessarily, but would still like to see him sign off with a bit of customary nooky at least.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I can understand. I was only partially joking in my prior post however. Much as I'd like a grittier film with a really excellent and 'authentic' final Craig performance (which I don't believe SP was btw), I also long for a return to the wittier, lighter fare of yore, with a bit of carefree fun.

I'm not looking for anyone rummaging around for a bar of soap necessarily, but would still like to see him sign off with a bit of customary nooky at least.

Yeah I understand, and I don't disagree, but I think the time for that sort of thing with Craig has passed now. I think he could have done with a straight forward stand alone between QoS and SF, to show him in his prime, but with where we're at for Bond 25 the next one needs to be bleak and surreal. Really do the book justice and finish the Craig era in a fitting, ballsy way. And then we can get something more straightforward and fun with the next guy (someone posted on here suggesting two good Bond girls, with Bond ending up in bed with both of them at the end, I love that idea).