"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Not sure what the answer is. Maybe take them simultaneously at opposite ends of the ground in front of your own fans (or better still in front of the opposition fans)? Would make it even more theatrical as the crowd would be going mental trying to out scream each other although if you are behind there's still pressure not to miss.
    Haha, would be interesting to see that! Almost like a strange kind of duel, both taking the penalty (shot) at the same moment.

bond11.jpg

Not sure how if it would work really but I can't say the ABBA system did much for me. Maybe put a partition across the centre circle so they don't know if the other team has scored or not? Although the crowd reaction would give it away I suppose.
    Yeah, would be difficult to make it work, but in a friendly or something, it would be fun to see!
    I see whist I have been away the silly season continues through the transfer market. Some seriously silly amounts of money changing hands yet again. How on earth this continues to happen is completely beyond me?!!!

On a more personal note I am glad my City boys came back to earn a hard fought point away at Fulham at the weekend. They have always seemed to be a bit of a bogey team for us. OTBC!!!!
    Maybe they should have penalty shoot outs for drawn league games ?

oooh no. would not want that to happen. Personally I would just have penalty shoot outs to cup matches. So if neither team has won after 90 mins? Then have the 30 minutes extra time and then penalties if required?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    oooh no. would not want that to happen. Personally I would just have penalty shoot outs to cup matches. So if neither team has won after 90 mins? Then have the 30 minutes extra time and then penalties if required?

They have penalties for FA cup and CL stages and it would make drawn games especially 0-0 games more exciting.

Goal less games are boring.

And English players need more penalty practice anyway as they always seem to lose them, especially against Germany. :)
    001 wrote: »

They have penalties for FA cup and CL stages and it would make drawn games especially 0-0 games more exciting.

And English players need more penalty practice anyway as they always seem to lose them, especially against Germany. :)

I gave up on the England football team along time ago.

The voice of the FIFA generation.

Depends on how you see it. A goal less game against a better team is usually has a lot of tense moments, and a 0-0 result can feel like a victory.
    Also seen a few goalless matches over the years, and the only thing missing has been a goal. However they have been highly entertaining.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,267
    Also seen a few goalless matches over the years, and the only thing missing has been a goal. However they have been highly entertaining.

Indeed, goalless matches can be very entertaining, with Celtic-Rosenborg the most recent example that comes to mind. Some very nervous 90+ minutes away at Celtic Park.

Just read that the referee for the Arsenal - Leicester City game will be Mike Dean. The chances for a good result for The Gunners just became very difficult...

Depends on how you see it. A goal less game against a better team is usually has a lot of tense moments, and a 0-0 result can feel like a victory.

True but having a winner for the game in a penalty shootout is even more entertaining and exciting for everyone. Don't you think ?

Maybe they could trial it in the lower leagues ?

4 subs max instead of 3 sounds better too.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

True but having a winner for the game in a penalty shootout is even more entertaining and exciting for everyone. Don't you think ?

No!
    Just...no.
    Do people really still care about the moral cesspit that is modern football?
    Benny wrote: »

No!
    Just...no.

Yes!
    Just...yes.
    You know you want it. :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No I really don't.
    It often baffles me why the need is there to change such things.
  • RC7RC7
    Draws are completely necessary within the format of league football. I shouldn't have to explain this.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    RC7 wrote: »
    Draws are completely necessary within the format of league football. I shouldn't have to explain this.

Especially if you're Jose Mourinho.
    DCisared wrote: »

HAHAHA!
    But seriously, I really, really can't see why one should take away draws for a penalty shootout only for entertainments sake. How many teams wouldn't take their chances playing a super defensive game, and go all in for the penalties? Where is the fun in that?
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote: »

Exactly! We don't want to finish mid-table, thanks.
    Not sure what the answer is. Maybe take them simultaneously at opposite ends of the ground in front of your own fans (or better still in front of the opposition fans)? Would make it even more theatrical as the crowd would be going mental trying to out scream each other although if you are behind there's still pressure not to miss.
    Haha, would be interesting to see that! Almost like a strange kind of duel, both taking the penalty (shot) at the same moment.

bond11.jpg

Or another version: Let the object be to hit the other player in the face first? Five duels. Most knock outs win!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/06/jurgen-kloppthere-arent-five-better-centre-halves-already-have/

I'm really not sure what is more laughable here - Klopp actually coming out with such utter bullshit or idiots like @001 who will actually believe it (when he takes a break from petitioning FIFA to introduce genius ideas like pens after every match, bigger goals and make it worth 2 goals if you score from 30 yards or further). I've sent my entry in and expect Jurgen to send me my prize by return of post, suggest you all do the same before they run out.

This video is also pretty funny (or depressing if you're a Liverpool fan); worth sticking with to the end for the line about having a plug in your boat:
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

I'm really not sure what is more laughable here - Klopp actually coming out with such utter bullshit or idiots like @001 who will actually believe it (when he takes a break from petitioning FIFA to introduce genius ideas like pens after every match, bigger goals and make it worth 2 goals if you score from 30 yards or further). I've sent my entry in and expect Jurgen to send me my prize by return of post, suggest you all do the same before they run out.
    these are some pathetic ass posts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/06/jurgen-kloppthere-arent-five-better-centre-halves-already-have/

This video is also pretty funny (or depressing if you're a Liverpool fan); worth sticking with to the end for the line about having a plug in your boat:

Cry me a river. If the transfer goes through, which by no means has been confirmed, it will reportedly be for a price way over 100 million which is way more than Coutinho is actually worth. If true Liverpool has simply used the fact that Barca now 'have to' buy to push the prize out of proportion.

Whether selling or keeping your best players is not simply a matter of ambition, but also, crucially, about accepting the player's wishes.
    jobo wrote: »

Cry me a river. If the transfer goes through, which by no means has been confirmed, it will reportedly be for a price way over 100 million which is way more than Coutinho is actually worth. If true Liverpool has simply used the fact that Barca now 'have to' buy to push the prize out of proportion.

Whether selling or keeping your best players is not simply a matter of ambition, but also, crucially, about accepting the player's wishes.

I haven't got a problem with Cout going. Such is the way of the world and when the big two Spanish clubs bark South American players jump. Good luck to him.

The problem with this is are we European royalty or just a Barca feeder club? OK Cout is gone fine. We've got a decent whack for him (agree 100m is generous but thats the market and Barca need to buy) so lets go out and slap 120M down for Mbappe. No doubt he wont come to us but at least show the fans you are trying. I dare say 60 would get Sanchez given he only has a year left. Do something FFS. But these are Americans remember who have zero interest in winning anything and will just pocket the Cout money and, to quote the late, great George Cole, they'll be laughing all the way to the Leeds!

And shelling out on Van Dyke isn't good enough because we should've been doing that anyway. Fenway are no better than Mike Ashley to be honest.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512

Awful timing. I guess he was always going to go, but if there were any hope you'd surely break the bank to make a statement to both him and the league. Then, even if he does go, you've can at least be buoyed by a new signing. Who that would be I don't know. Could be difficult to pull off now.

EDIT: re. Klopps comments about your defence (and I'm not using this as any scientific benchmark) but I reckon you'd struggle to find too many Fantasy Football teams across the country bolstered by Liverpool full backs.

Awful timing. I guess he was always going to go, but if there were any hope you'd surely break the bank to make a statement to both him and the league. Then, even if he does go, you've can at least be buoyed by a new signing. Who that would be I don't know. Could be difficult to pull off now.

EDIT: re. Klopps comments about your defence (and I'm not using this as any scientific benchmark) but I reckon you'd struggle to find too many Fantasy Football teams across the country bolstered by Liverpool full backs.

Alexander-Arnold mate - 4.5m for a top 4 club defender. Mind that's only till Clyne is back and because I've spunked all my wedge on Kane, Jesus, De Bruyne, Sanchez and Pogba.

Are people here playing Fantasy Premier League? Considering checking it out, but a bit on the fence if I should spend my time playing it. How can I play a game which only allow so many Arsenal players?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Watching build up to the Super Cup on MUTV come on United, strong line up from Jose
    I was aware they've changed the rules for ABBA penalties but didn't realise they'd also changed it so you're not allowed out of your own half too.

Once again the fallacy of the premier league being the 'best in the world' being cruelly exposed - one of the favourites for the title and having spent hundreds of millions yet it's still like watching men against traffic cones. Has any Utd player touched the ball yet?

Why the hell would Cout want to go and play in Spain when he could stay here?