"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited July 2017 Posts: 17,241
    Tonight we learned that Celtic FC has denied Norwegian broadcasters buying the rights to the match against Rosenborg on Wednesday. This match will not be broadcast on tv at all - except on Celtic TV, with subscriptions starting at £14.99.
    (Reports also has it, that they will be charging visiting fans £30 at the stadium.)

In other words, this sh***y club effectively denies fans of Rosenborg a chance to see the most important match for years without throwing money straight at them, or by going to Glasgow, of course. Classy move...

On a side note: why wouldn't UEFA want to own the right to qualification matches leading up to play off?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Tonight we learned that Celtic FC has denied Norwegian broadcasters buying the rights to the match against Rosenborg on Wednesday. This match will not be broadcast on tv at all - except on Celtic TV, with subscriptions starting at £14.99.
    (Reports also has it, that they will be charging visiting fans £30 at the stadium.)

In other words, this sh***y club effectively denies fans of Rosenborg a chance to see the most important match for years without throwing money straight at them, or by going to Glasgow, of course. Classy move...

On a side note: why wouldn't UEFA want to own the right to qualification matches leading up to play off?

What a grubby move (the TV scam not the ticket price - £30 for a CL game seems pretty standard. Don't tell be Rosenborg don't bump up the tickets if Real or Barca come to town?)

I suggest you go for the illegal stream option on this occasion.

And I agree how do Celtic own the rights to a CL match? Don't UEFA have anything to say about this?

What a grubby move (the TV scam not the ticket price - £30 for a CL game seems pretty standard. Don't tell be Rosenborg don't bump up the tickets if Real or Barca come to town?)

I suggest you go for the illegal stream option on this occasion.

Oh, the ticket price seems quite alright. Only mentioned it as a side note i brackets.

Celtic's official statement, according news reports and Viasat - the channel who tried to get the TV rights from the club (and the channel who'll show next weeks match between the teams), is that Celtic fear illegal streaming will affect the attendance at the stadium.

This is strange of course, as illegal streaming will sure happen if they don't sell the rights to a broadcaster. Viasat probably would have payed whatever Celtic had asked for anyway.
    And I agree how do Celtic own the rights to a CL match? Don't UEFA have anything to say about this?

A commentator at Viasat asked the very same question on Twitter last night, saying that if its possible for a club to do a move like that in 2017, UEFA must step in and make sure THEY, and not the clubs can decide over the rights like this.
    Well, I am kind of happy I have an excuse not to watch the game. It will not be pretty... If we can somehow escape without a hammering I will be delighted.
    jobo wrote: »
    Well, I am kind of happy I have an excuse not to watch the game. It will not be pretty... If we can somehow escape without a hammering I will be delighted.

I fear the worst, one can only hope the defenders deliver the match of the year! ...Which in case, we'll don't have the chance to see anyway...
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 17,241
    I feared the worst, but this game turned out to be one of the better games for Rosenborg this year so far. A Celtic without some key players were still dangerous, but Rosenborg were just as dangerous up front on the chances created. Can't wait for next weeks game. Here's hoping for a Rosenborg win!
    I thought we would be out of it by now. I don't know what happened... But clearly underdog status for once must have felt like a relief, and many players decided that this was the right time to finally turn in a solid effort. Now we suddenly have decent chances of qualifying! But it requires having to win the game at Lerkendal. Any draw (except a highly unlikely goalless one) will send Celtic through.
    jobo wrote: »
    I thought we would be out of it by now. I don't know what happened... But clearly underdog status for once must have felt like a relief, and many players decided that this was the right time to finally turn in a solid effort. Now we suddenly have decent chances of qualifying! But it requires having to win the game at Lerkendal. Any draw (except a highly unlikely goalless one) will send Celtic through.

It's a good starting point! Deciding the game at home can be the significant factor, especially if Rosenborg match the performance of tonight's game. I'm just happy that there's still an opportunity. :-)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,105
    Looks like Matic is on the brink of signing for United good acquisition by Jose if so, hope we keep hold of Fellaini we need the depth in midfield he gets alot of stick from me included though I think he has improved and Jose seems to love him.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Danny Sturridge there, summing his career up in just a few seconds. What a finish. What a striker. Shame he is made out of quavers.
    DCisared wrote: »
    Danny Sturridge there, summing his career up in just a few seconds. What a finish. What a striker. Shame he is made out of quavers.

Yep,make the most of it..when it matters it will be another paycheck on the bench..
  • RC7RC7
    I hope he has good people around him. I've often thought the bloke must be all over the place psychologically.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    22.jpg
    RC7 wrote: »
    I hope he has good people around him. I've often thought the bloke must be all over the place psychologically.

Apart from his bank balance.

• RC7RC7
    barryt007 wrote: »

Apart from his bank balance.

Means fuck all if he falls into depression.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    True depression does not discriminate

Well the guy believes in God so that's a given.

Anyway chin-up LFC fans:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/40776157

So our season already over as when the yanks trouser the Cout money from Barca Jurgen might just get given about 40m to replace him.

So going from a position where we needed (conservatively) 6 players to compete on two fronts we'll actually finish the window weaker.

Cherish the prestigious Audi cup final tonight because its the only sniff of a trophy we'll get this season.

JW Henry is just David Sullivan with a fitter wife.
    Latest gossip is Barcelona are after Dembele to replace Neymar
    Sturridge not injured. He's a good dude and deserves some luck with injuries. :)

Coutinho to stay. Read my lips. :)

Liverpool a great chance to win a silverware this year. :)

It's all looking great for the season. :)

Same. There's been rumours floating around for a while now that he is one of the number of high profile PL players that are gay. I'm not sure if that would affect someone physically but who knows. Being religious and a gay footballer at the same time would bring heavy thoughts im sure.

edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    001 wrote: »
    Sturridge not injured. He's a good dude and deserves some luck with injuries. :)

Indeed. He's one of the best finishers in the league. On his game I prefer him to Kane. But alas his game is only twice a season these days.

If Barca go north of 80m the yanks won't be able to take the money fast enough.
    We might well be sniffing round the top of the table at Christmas but with no squad depth we will drop off a cliff again in the new year when gegenpressing and injuries take their toll.

We've made a net profit over the last two windows and in this one have just bought a 34m Chelsea reject, an 8m defender and picked up another Chelsea reject on a free.

Utd are spending more than that on a daily basis.

Scraping 4th on the last day again will be a triumph given the lack of investment in the squad.

Jurgen a good manager and taking us in the right direction but that can only get us so far if we're relying on doing it on the cheap.

Same. There's been rumours floating around for a while now that he is one of the number of high profile PL players that are gay. I'm not sure if that would affect someone physically but who knows. Being religious and a gay footballer at the same time would bring heavy thoughts im sure.

He has himself admitted having a girlfriend. Therefore there is no chance that he is gay. Any rumors about Sturridge being gay is a totally false assumption and baseless rumors as having a hot girlfriend in the past, and dating one currently, Daniel can't be labeled as gay.

http://liverampup.com/sports/daniel-sturridge-while-secretly-dating-crushes-off-transfer-rumors-explained-how-religion-does-affect-play.html
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,329

He has himself admitted having a girlfriend. Therefore there is no chance that he is gay. Any rumors about Sturridge being gay is a totally false assumption and baseless rumors as having a hot girlfriend in the past, and dating one currently, Daniel can't be labeled as gay.

http://liverampup.com/sports/daniel-sturridge-while-secretly-dating-crushes-off-transfer-rumors-explained-how-religion-does-affect-play.html

Says his fella. Messin.

I was just mentioning a rumour. Not at all saying he is. There must be hundreds of gay footballers though and sportsmen an women. The numbers dont match societies numbers. Wish ronaldo would come out. Would do a lot for LGTB community and sport ;)

*edit*

Btw that article just like me mentioning a rumour means sweet FA
    Man Utd are spending money like it is going out of fashion.

They have agreed a £27m fee for PSG right back Serge Aurier,and he is still banned from entering the UK at the moment..madness !!

Indeed. He's one of the best finishers in the league. On his game I prefer him to Kane. But alas his game is only twice a season these days.

If Barca go north of 80m the yanks won't be able to take the money fast enough.
    We might well be sniffing round the top of the table at Christmas but with no squad depth we will drop off a cliff again in the new year when gegenpressing and injuries take their toll.

We've made a net profit over the last two windows and in this one have just bought a 34m Chelsea reject, an 8m defender and picked up another Chelsea reject on a free.

Utd are spending more than that on a daily basis.

Scraping 4th on the last day again will be a triumph given the lack of investment in the squad.

Jurgen a good manager and taking us in the right direction but that can only get us so far if we're relying on doing it on the cheap.

They are looking after Sturridge better so he's injury free hopefully.

Coutinho (inter milan reject) is worth $200 million. 80m is chicken feed. Jurgen's not going to sell him.

Salah is only 23 and he's a star now (maybe as good as coutinho). Chelsea (morinho) treated him badly.
    Solanke looks like a star.

Plenty of money left to spend after Red bull didn't want to sell Keita to us................
    Windows not closed yet.

Man u spend big on duds. Pogba is hopeless. Nemanja Matic is average.
    Anthony Martial agrees Inter Milan move ...gone

Leicester won the EPL on the "cheap"

I know we all like to think we are knowledgeable about our beautiful game. Can we all agree though that football punditry is at best, calamitous. Folwer and ince adding to the growing list of ex pros just chatting pure and utter drivel.

They have agreed a £27m fee for PSG right back Serge Aurier,and he is still banned from entering the UK at the moment..madness !!

That was left field for sure though last I read United were not interested, who is reporting it mate? If it's true Darmian is likely on his way unless they keep him for cover at left back.
  • RC7RC7

We can afford to. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way it is. Your lot could do with a bit of the same, rather than sitting on your millions and maintaining you have some sort of philosophy to protect. The moment Arsene said it's not always about trophies is the day you should have let him go. At the end of the day it's a competition and you get jack for playing sexy football and not winning. Ideally you want both, but if that's not an option no one gives a fuck about you playing attractive football, because the likelihood is someone, elsewhere, is playing more attractive football and winning.

It's Mourinho Utd ( the lunatic,nut job ) who's asking for the player's.
    He's to blame. He's going to send them broke. :)
    No Sir Alex, no Man utd ?
    Seriously City are the ones spending crazy money...