"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Aah, a Liverpool fan no doubt Captain Wiz?
    001 wrote: »

Well wiz don't you think playing in front of 90,000 , at Wembley and winning a final against the PL champions or whoever on the last day of the season , not a trophy but the most Historic football trophy in the world,The FA CUP is more Famous and Prestigious than the Epl championship.

The Wizard's first rule of football debate: 'Anyone who uses the acronym 'EPL' automatically loses.'
    Do you agree it's the most Historic Prestigious football trophy in England ?

No. I agree its the most historic trophy only. But then I'm one of those strange people who doesnt think football only started in 1992 and differentiates bewteen the League Championship and the Premier League. Its all just 'the league' and to win it means you are indisputably the best team in the land. And that is way more prestigious than winning a handful of games half of which will be against lower league opposition no matter how many fans cram into Wembley.

EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL
    How that's Wizzer ? :)

If Chelsea were indisputably the best team in the land why couldn't they beat Average Arsenal in the FA Cup ? Answer that my fellow Liverpool fanatic ? :)

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Well wiz don't you think playing in front of 90,000 , at Wembley and winning a final against the PL champions or whoever on the last day of the season , not a trophy but the most Historic football trophy in the world,The FA CUP is more Famous and Prestigious than the Epl championship.

The Wizard's first rule of football debate: 'Anyone who uses the acronym 'EPL' automatically loses.'

No. I agree its the most historic trophy only. But then I'm one of those strange people who doesnt think football only started in 1992 and differentiates bewteen the League Championship and the Premier League. Its all just 'the league' and to win it means you are indisputably the best team in the land. And that is way more prestigious than winning a handful of games half of which will be against lower league opposition no matter how many fans cram into Wembley.

EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL EPL

If Chelsea were indisputably the best team in the land why couldn't they beat Average Arsenal in the FA Cup ? Answer that my fellow Liverpool fanatic ? :)

Because the ref was blind and should never have allowed the first goal.
    BTW, Chelsea are the best team in the league.
    Benny wrote: »

Because the ref was blind and should never have allowed the first goal.
    BTW, Chelsea are the best team in the league.

You Chelsea fans are always making excuses . :)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    WM_strip_2010-12-11.gif
    Everton confirm Rooney return
    Everton confirm they have re-signed Wayne Rooney after 13 years at Manchester United.

It will be interesting to see how many goals he scores at everton.
    SM_1fa75b87489842983.png
    James Rodriguez leaves Real Madrid for Bayern Munich on two-year loan deal.

He'll be starting on the bench at Bayern.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40590960

They say you shouldn't speak ill of the dead so I guess I have nothing more to write here.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40590960

They say you shouldn't speak ill of the dead so I guess I have nothing more to write here.

I thought they had put the wrong picture up for a moment. On first look I thought it was John Goodman with big hair and beard.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Phew! For a moment I thought it was George R R Martin (still waiting for his last ASOIAF books).

Thankfully it's just that blood sucking, money grubbing ne'er do well who took what he needed from football then turned his cronies in to the authorities.

A Goodfella indeed.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Phew! For a moment I thought it was George R R Martin (still waiting for his last ASOIAF books).

Thankfully it's just that blood sucking, money grubbing ne'er do well who took what he needed from football then turned his cronies in to the authorities.

A Goodfella indeed.

Heard some report calling him 'FIFA official turned whistleblower' like he was Edward Snowden.

He only turned whistleblower because the FBI had him bang to rights and staring down the barrel of a 50 year sentence so let's not make out he finally did the right thing for anything but self serving reasons.

My sympathies are with the poor sods who have to carry the coffin. Fat bastard.
    Watched Rosenborg play away against Dundalk FC last night, in a game which Rosenborg only managed a 1-1 tie - after letting Dundalk take the lead early in the game. Really not happy with the way they are playing now, and I can't figure why they play with players out of their usual positions. No way they can make it far in the CL qualifications this year.

Arsenal playing Sydney FC was much more enjoyable, even though this was only a friendly. The younger players played really well, and Lacazette scored his first in the Arsenal shirt. Not much to take from a friendly, but at least this game presented better football than the game I watched last evening.
    How are Celtic playing these days? Rosenborg will most likely meet them in the third qualifying round - given that Rosenborg doesn't loose or let Dundalk FC get a goal at Lerkendal next week.

Celtic will have an easy game against Linfield FC, won't they?
    Glad we are making some defensive signings for the new season! We certainly need it!
    06.png
    Presume we're all trembling with anticipation at England v the auld enemy in the women's Euros?

Kick off mere minutes away!!

Michael Owen's inclusion bringing some gender equality to what is frankly a very female centric programme. But overall I'm sure pretty outraged at the lack of diversity to be honest.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Presume we're all trembling with anticipation at England v the auld enemy in the women's Euros?

Kick off mere minutes away!!

Michael Owen's inclusion bringing some gender equality to what is frankly a very female centric programme. But overall I'm sure pretty outraged at the lack of diversity to be honest.
    indeed. Why can't us men have better representation in broadcasting?!? The sexism disgusts me.

Rosenborg through to the third qualifying round after beating Dundalk FC in a rather poor game. By the looks of it, Rosenborg's CL campaign will end with the two games against Celtic, but miracles have happened in football before.
    England decimating the jocks!

If only it mattered in the slightest.
    England decimating the jocks!

If only it mattered in the slightest.

Lol! Fair play to them though. You can only beat what is in front of you.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Good to see Rosenborg advance but what happened to that once so great team?
    Extra time against Dundalk???
    Anyway, happily for them, Celtic have been abysmal for years as well.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Good to see Rosenborg advance but what happened to that once so great team?
    Extra time against Dundalk???
    Anyway, happily for them, Celtic have been abysmal for years as well.

That is one good question. I have asked myself that over and over...

We sure miss our legendary coach Nils Arne Eggen. Some of the winning culture and philosophy disappeared with him. But still I had very high hopes for this season and thought maybe a new grand era was in the making. It has been dissapointing to say the least to watch how poor we have turned out to be this season.
    This season has been a step in the wrong direction for Rosenborg. The one so great 4-3-3 formation that clearly works, has been changed into a structureless way of playing, with a lot of backward passing instead of forward - if the passes are even completed. Way to often the ball fall into the feet of the opposition. I hope that Rosenborg can secure the double once more, or at least secure the title, but I'm not too sure if they can.
    Why cant the England men's team perform like the ladies...talk about skill and passion...awesome performance.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,575
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Why cant the England men's team perform like the ladies...talk about skill and passion...awesome performance.

It's a bit of Mystery why the England men's team are Average...

Maybe if the World Cup or Euro' were held in Engalnd they might do much better like they did in 1966 and 1996?
    Dominic Solanke scored a great goal for Liverpool against Crystal Palace yesterday.
    Very talented player. Chelsea didn't want him.
    Dominic Solanke scored a great goal for Liverpool against Crystal Palace yesterday.
    Very talented player. Chelsea didn't want him.

Chelsea have just bought another striker. They'll survive.
    This will be an interesting PL-season. So many quality strikers either making their PL debut, returning to PL, or changing teams. Who'll score the most goals?
    This will be an interesting PL-season. So many quality strikers either making their PL debut, returning to PL, or changing teams. Who'll score the most goals?

Very interesting indeed.