"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    001 wrote: »
    Sturridge not injured. He's a good dude and deserves some luck with injuries. :)

Indeed. He's one of the best finishers in the league. On his game I prefer him to Kane. But alas his game is only twice a season these days.
    Coutinho to stay. Read my lips. :)

If Barca go north of 80m the yanks won't be able to take the money fast enough.
    Liverpool a great chance to win a silverware this year. :)
    We might well be sniffing round the top of the table at Christmas but with no squad depth we will drop off a cliff again in the new year when gegenpressing and injuries take their toll.
    It's all looking great for the season. :)

We've made a net profit over the last two windows and in this one have just bought a 34m Chelsea reject, an 8m defender and picked up another Chelsea reject on a free.

Utd are spending more than that on a daily basis.

Scraping 4th on the last day again will be a triumph given the lack of investment in the squad.

Jurgen a good manager and taking us in the right direction but that can only get us so far if we're relying on doing it on the cheap.

They are looking after Sturridge better so he's injury free hopefully.

Oh right. Because all these years they've been keeping him in a cage and beating him with sticks during training. Good to know it's sorted now. So I can expect 40 odd games out of him can I?
    Coutinho (inter milan reject) is worth $200 million. 80m is chicken feed. Jurgen's not going to sell him.

He's worth what people will pay. And no one will go anywhere near that figure. Especially given the yanks will shake on anything north of 80m.

And I hate to break it to you but it's not up to Jurgen.
    Salah is only 23 and he's a star now (maybe as good as coutinho). Chelsea (morinho) treated him badly.

'Maybe as good as Couthino'? Who you rate at 200m? So Salah is at Neymar level going for the same money? Any chance we can get PSG to take him off our hands and make a massive profit because that's frankly ludicrous.
    Solanke looks like a star.

Based on what? He's hardly played any games.
    Plenty of money left to spend after Red bull didn't want to sell Keita to us................
    Windows not closed yet.

Wish I shared your optimism that we were sniffing anyone half decent.
    Man u spend big on duds. Pogba is hopeless. Nemanja Matic is average.
    Anthony Martial agrees Inter Milan move ...gone

Yeah Matic has only won the league twice in three years. You really haven't got a clue mate. I'm at the front of the queue when it comes to slagging off Utd but if you want to put our transfer business up against theirs over the last 25 years we're a joke.
    Leicester won the EPL on the "cheap"

Congratulations you just won the Internet. If you want to have a wager on how many times a club will win the title having spent nothing I'm happy to accomodate any amount you want.

You really are living in dreamland if you think Liverpool are going to challenge for the title. Still need a top class keeper, centre back, left back and striker as a minimum. The top three is sewn up and we're scrapping with Spurs (who have done as dismal business as us), Arsenal and potentially Everton for 4th. With a fair wind we might get 4th. If things go tits up we could just as easily end up 7th.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,369
    Beers check! feet up check! bring on Sampdoria, hope Jose plays a side close to the Super cup line up.

Edit: Matic starts
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Awesome counter by United that was surreal... United 1 up
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Prefer Mercedes and BMW anyway.
    Decent workout for United Jose has depth enough to challenge on all fronts, quietly confident we can mount a challenge been a far better pre season than 2016 debacle.
    Rosenborg out of the CL qualifications after a 0-1 defeat against Celtic. The goal against came in a good period for Rosenborg, where I actually thought they would make it. Still a chance in EL, but I guess that depends on which team they meet. Going to spend the rest of the evening with a much needed beer...
    Rosenborg out of the CL qualifications after a 0-1 defeat against Celtic. The goal against came in a good period for Rosenborg, where I actually thought they would make it. Still a chance in EL, but I guess that depends on which team they meet. Going to spend the rest of the evening with a much needed beer...

Commiserations what was the first leg score?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Nil nil
    Narrow defeat, Celtic certainly after last season not easy opposition.

Edited: Jose post match press conference was interesting and what he was alluding to, Ibra may play for United again... Which I expected to happen United really have been incredibly supportive in Ibra rehab.
    Celtic didn't look too dangerous until Griffiths came on. Totally changed Celtic for the better. Rosenborg did OK before, but struggled more with his work rate. The most annoying thing is that Rosenborg had two really big chances in Glasgow, which could have made the difference. Need a bit of luck in the EL-draw now!
    Celtic didn't look too dangerous until Griffiths came on. Totally changed Celtic for the better. Rosenborg did OK before, but struggled more with his work rate. The most annoying thing is that Rosenborg had two really big chances in Glasgow, which could have made the difference. Need a bit of luck in the EL-draw now!

It's a fine line in tight games, ability is one thing composure is another

Definitely. Rosenborg have troubled a bit in both departments this season so far. Especially in the attacking front. They have on the other hand looked better in the last few games, but CL is probably too much to ask for this season.

On a side note: do believe I read somewhere that changes are going to be made in the CL qualifications from next year. Anyone who knows what kind of changes?

Definitely. Rosenborg have troubled a bit in both departments this season so far. Especially in the attacking front. They have on the other hand looked better in the last few games, but CL is probably too much to ask for this season.

On a side note: do believe I read somewhere that changes are going to be made in the CL qualifications from next year. Anyone who knows what kind of changes?

Not heard of any changes myself upto now, usual changes are based on performance of domestic leagues determining allocation from each league, one thing I want to see is domestic cups giving champions league qualification. Though if that was applied in every league it would not work, in England I think it's something that should happen.
    Celtic didn't look too dangerous until Griffiths came on. Totally changed Celtic for the better.

Not really true. Celtic had their best spell in the first half where they were quite considerably the better team - without Griffiths. Rosenborg had a decent period in the second half albeit without really creating anything. One could try to describe this as a tight game based on the scoreline, but truth be told Celtic came much closer to making it two or three than Rosenborg was a single goal. We were simply not up to it this year and the better team won.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,291

Not heard of any changes myself upto now, usual changes are based on performance of domestic leagues determining allocation from each league, one thing I want to see is domestic cups giving champions league qualification. Though if that was applied in every league it would not work, in England I think it's something that should happen.

Found this bit online after a bit of searching:
    «...domestic champions eliminated in the Champions League qualifying rounds will have the chance to instead qualify for the Europa League via a dedicated champions' qualifying path. An extra €50 million per season will also be diverted from Champions League prize money to the Europa League.»
    Do believe it was the part about the €50 million I read some time ago. How do you think domestic cups giving champions league qualification will work in England?
    jobo wrote: »
    Celtic didn't look too dangerous until Griffiths came on. Totally changed Celtic for the better.

Not really true. Celtic had their best spell in the first half where they were quite considerably the better team - without Griffiths. Rosenborg had a decent period in the second half albeit without really creating anything. One could try to describe this as a tight game based on the scoreline, but truth be told Celtic came much closer to making it two or three than Rosenborg was a single goal. We were simply not up to it this year and the better team won.

Forgot to add «up front» to that. Although James Forrest scored the goal, Griffiths was good up front. Rosenborg didn't create much, and should have scored in Glasgow to really have the advantage.

Found this bit online after a bit of searching:
    «...domestic champions eliminated in the Champions League qualifying rounds will have the chance to instead qualify for the Europa League via a dedicated champions' qualifying path. An extra €50 million per season will also be diverted from Champions League prize money to the Europa League.»
    Do believe it was the part about the €50 million I read some time ago. How do you think domestic cups giving champions league qualification will work in England?
    jobo wrote: »

Forgot to add «up front» to that. Although James Forrest scored the goal, Griffiths was good up front. Rosenborg didn't create much, and should have scored in Glasgow to really have the advantage.

That suggests they are expanding the Europa league further, that format needs to be looked at its a grueling competition.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,291
    I have no opinion about the of EL as a competition, but I often hear people have strong opinions about it. What are your thoughts about the EL, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I actually like the EL a lot. In CL we get the same fixtures every year, how many PSG-Barcelona games have we seen the last few years?

EL gives us more variety in teams and countries and I quite like that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    14.jpg
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Man Utd are spending money like it is going out of fashion.

They have agreed a £27m fee for PSG right back Serge Aurier,and he is still banned from entering the UK at the moment..madness !!

That was left field for sure though last I read United were not interested, who is reporting it mate? If it's true Darmian is likely on his way unless they keep him for cover at left back.

BBC Sport reported it online yesterday.
    RC7 wrote: »

They have agreed a £27m fee for PSG right back Serge Aurier,and he is still banned from entering the UK at the moment..madness !!

We can afford to. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way it is. Your lot could do with a bit of the same, rather than sitting on your millions and maintaining you have some sort of philosophy to protect. The moment Arsene said it's not always about trophies is the day you should have let him go. At the end of the day it's a competition and you get jack for playing sexy football and not winning. Ideally you want both, but if that's not an option no one gives a fuck about you playing attractive football, because the likelihood is someone, elsewhere, is playing more attractive football and winning.

You cant say that until the transfer window is closed...once it is then come back to me if we haven't bought anyone...cheers.
  • RC7RC7

That was left field for sure though last I read United were not interested, who is reporting it mate? If it's true Darmian is likely on his way unless they keep him for cover at left back.

We can afford to. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way it is. Your lot could do with a bit of the same, rather than sitting on your millions and maintaining you have some sort of philosophy to protect. The moment Arsene said it's not always about trophies is the day you should have let him go. At the end of the day it's a competition and you get jack for playing sexy football and not winning. Ideally you want both, but if that's not an option no one gives a fuck about you playing attractive football, because the likelihood is someone, elsewhere, is playing more attractive football and winning.

You cant say that until the transfer window is closed...once it is then come back to me if we haven't bought anyone...cheers.

I'm not talking specifically about this transfer window, you've been doing it for years. So much so the perennial fourth placers have inevitably missed out on CL football.

I'm not talking specifically about this transfer window, you've been doing it for years. So much so the perennial fourth placers have inevitably missed out on CL football.

See my former message.

edited August 2017 Posts: 1,575
    Sturridge not injured. He's a good dude and deserves some luck with injuries. :)

Indeed. He's one of the best finishers in the league. On his game I prefer him to Kane. But alas his game is only twice a season these days.
    Coutinho to stay. Read my lips. :)

If Barca go north of 80m the yanks won't be able to take the money fast enough.
    Liverpool a great chance to win a silverware this year. :)
    We might well be sniffing round the top of the table at Christmas but with no squad depth we will drop off a cliff again in the new year when gegenpressing and injuries take their toll.
    It's all looking great for the season. :)

We've made a net profit over the last two windows and in this one have just bought a 34m Chelsea reject, an 8m defender and picked up another Chelsea reject on a free.

Utd are spending more than that on a daily basis.

Scraping 4th on the last day again will be a triumph given the lack of investment in the squad.

Jurgen a good manager and taking us in the right direction but that can only get us so far if we're relying on doing it on the cheap.

They are looking after Sturridge better so he's injury free hopefully.

Oh right. Because all these years they've been keeping him in a cage and beating him with sticks during training. Good to know it's sorted now. So I can expect 40 odd games out of him can I?
    Coutinho (inter milan reject) is worth $200 million. 80m is chicken feed. Jurgen's not going to sell him.

He's worth what people will pay. And no one will go anywhere near that figure. Especially given the yanks will shake on anything north of 80m.

And I hate to break it to you but it's not up to Jurgen.
    Salah is only 23 and he's a star now (maybe as good as coutinho). Chelsea (morinho) treated him badly.

'Maybe as good as Couthino'? Who you rate at 200m? So Salah is at Neymar level going for the same money? Any chance we can get PSG to take him off our hands and make a massive profit because that's frankly ludicrous.
    Solanke looks like a star.

Based on what? He's hardly played any games.
    Plenty of money left to spend after Red bull didn't want to sell Keita to us................
    Windows not closed yet.

Wish I shared your optimism that we were sniffing anyone half decent.
    Man u spend big on duds. Pogba is hopeless. Nemanja Matic is average.
    Anthony Martial agrees Inter Milan move ...gone

Yeah Matic has only won the league twice in three years. You really haven't got a clue mate. I'm at the front of the queue when it comes to slagging off Utd but if you want to put our transfer business up against theirs over the last 25 years we're a joke.
    Leicester won the EPL on the "cheap"

Congratulations you just won the Internet. If you want to have a wager on how many times a club will win the title having spent nothing I'm happy to accomodate any amount you want.

You really are living in dreamland if you think Liverpool are going to challenge for the title. Still need a top class keeper, centre back, left back and striker as a minimum. The top three is sewn up and we're scrapping with Spurs (who have done as dismal business as us), Arsenal and potentially Everton for 4th. With a fair wind we might get 4th. If things go tits up we could just as easily end up 7th.

Wizzer, have you been Headbutting Rams again ,haven't you ? :)

Keep Calm and you'll never walk alone.

• RC7RC7
    Looks like a concession to Wiz's point.
    Looks like a concession to Wiz's point.

Maybe, Maybe not................:)
    Shit ,our English girls are 1-0 down to Holland and not playing well......
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Neymar deal done. This is going to mean even more ridiculous prices for players.
    This is where football goes down the toilet faster than a turd.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Agreed.