Batman

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wonder if he gave the dude a ride?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wonder if he gave the dude a ride?

He'd just call Alfred and make him give the guy a ride, secret identity be damned.
    12237138_851341124983685_1719971578_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTExOTUzNzE2NTgxMTE1ODc2Nw%3D%3D.2
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    But THAT is Doctor! Chase! Meridian!
    ... and a grand pursuit she must be.

latest?cb=20140306215259

Any questions? ;-)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,366
    Finally got round to watching Lego Batman the film was fun some good references, the Fortress scene was epic when The Superman The Movie track played.

Nicole Kidman definitely one of the highlights of Batman Forever.

Just found this on Youtube...

I think some of our bigger Batmaniacs will appreciate this--a rare interview with Bill Finger, conducted by Robert Porfirio in May, 1972. It was unpublished for more than 40 years, until it appeared in the book Creators Of The Superheroes:
    Do you think that Batman got too humanized with the introduction of Robin?

Robin was an outgrowth of many conversations that Bob and I had. Batman was really a combination of Douglas Fairbanks Sr., Sherlock Holmes, and The Shadow and a bit of Frank Merriwell and Nick Carter. We had talked about a Watson character many times. Batman was always a loner. This seemed fine in the beginning because he had his vengeance motive and you think of someone going through the night as being a loner. After a time it seemed that he needed someone to talk to. I don't know whose idea it was to come up with Robin. It was not mine. It might have been Jerry's, it might have been Bob's, it might have been an outgrowth of their working together over the drawing boards and making some casual chance remark about kids reading comics and needing a figure to emulate. I don't know where it came from and I'll never know.

You can't have a kid named Robin, with a colorful Robin Hood costume, running around in the night shadows; somehow it doesn't jibe. It jars a bit and the image is wrong. We tried to humanize Batman with his father relationship to Robin. It may have taken away from Batman and probably did. But then again there were many stories in which I would try to compensate for that where I would have Robin elsewhere and Batman would then be a lone figure of the night. Many times I would write a sequence deliberately where Batman would be involved in some kind of danger, which suggested the night and menace of that kind, but when Batman and Robin were together somehow the situation would be lighter. Part of it was an instinct to make the kids not afraid, and you would treat Robin as a kid who would naturally make cracks, because kids do that. Except I didn't make as many puns as I'm supposed to have been guilty of. I did it at times. I cut it out after a while because it was getting a little too much. You'd like to have punning every now then, especially after he'd heave a sigh of relief and make a funny crack about a danger. But I tried not to overdo it. Certainly I didn't carry it to the extremes that other writers do.

Did the Comics Code hurt your Batman stories?

Oh yeah. I will say this for National Periodicals, they had a code all along. When I first started writing for them they didn't know I was writing Batman, or Rusty and His Pals, or Clip Carson. I was a ghost. I really was. It wasn't until later that they found out that I was the writer and that Bob Kane wasn't the writer. So I came up to the National offices for the first time—gee, there I was, a kid in these big offices. Bob Kane was using me as a kind of tool all this time, to bolster his own paycheck. One of the first things I was given was one or two sheets of yellow paper—National had its own code. There was to be no scenes of someone being shot with a gun. If you wanted to have a killing you would have one person firing in one panel and the victim would be offstage in the next panel. We weren't allowed to use bullwhips or any kind of torture devices of the sadistic type, no hangings. Of course, every now and then there was a flagrant violation. So National did have its own code so that when the Code Authority came along it was nothing very new to us. The term "flick," for instance, was never used because the lettering might run together, and words like "prick" were never used. They had their own code and I respected them for that. That's why Whitney Ellsworth didn't want Batman to use a gun—like the scene in Batman #1 where Batman uses a machine gun in the Batplane on Professor Strange's monsters. And, we had Batman on a cover with a gun. We never did that again. I admired Whit for that; I thought he was very smart.

Of course there was a lot more sadism in other comics like Marvel's titles.

National never indulged very much in that. I remember when DC Comics was turning out their horror stuff, their idea of a horror comic was some lovely girl being pursued by wolves. They were so mild as to be incredible compared to the shock and violence and blood and gore of other comics that were out.

What about the influence of the comics reformer, Frederic Wertham?

Wertham was a first-rate psychiatrist and a good man in his field. However, he was like the old maid always looking for somebody under the bed. He saw sex and violence in everything. Also he was astute enough to cash in on it. He wrote many articles for various women's magazines, and others. He overdid it. I know a couple of students in his class at NYU [New York University] and they admitted to me that he was a kind of nutty character. I remember one story he had an objection to I think I wrote: Superboy is jumping up a tree to get an apple for somebody and Wertham saw this as a sexual symbol. The tree was a phallus and the apple, balls.

What about his claim that Batman and Robin were homosexual fantasies?

Of course I've never been orientated that way. I knew many homosexuals but I certainly didn't think of Batman in those terms. I thought of it in terms of Frank Wharton, and Frank Merriwell and Dick Merriwell, his half-brother, who was the kid he was taking care of. Wertham got his views on the homosexuality of male heroes in popular culture from Gershon Legman's book, Love and Death, and he extended this analysis to literary characters like Ishmael and Queequeg in Moby Dick.

This is nonsense, really. In America we always talk about the Western hero and the pioneer kind of man—the Davy Crockett-types—as being loners. They're never really. They always have a sidekick. In all your Westerns you have a Gabby Hayes, or whatever. Certainly there's no homosexual relationship. It's just part of the American syndrome. The American who drifted through the trees and had to worry about Indians, never did it alone, there was always somebody with him. When I was a boy I got my first library card, which was the biggest thrill in my life. I went to the library and one of the first books I ever read was about two Revolutionary War fighters; they were Indian fighters, because Indians in those days were always the villains. These two young men were sidekicks. There was no homosexual relationship. It was just that the author realized that you've gotta have somebody to talk to. Sherlock Holmes had Watson—were they homosexuals? Baloney. You just can't have your hero walking around thinking aloud all the time. He'd be ready for the men in white coats after a time. So we created a junior Watson and that's all he was.

Did the Comics Code tone down the Batman stories?

Yes, it did a bit. But, not too much because, frankly, National has always been, and still is, a fairly conservative outfit compared to other companies. Conservative in the sense of trying to be clean, upright-good boy scouts. You've got to commend them for that. National Comics certainly was never in on the horror stuff like other companies. They're the MGM of comics and wanted to stay that way. As far as covers with sexual symbolism, that's nonsense. You'd go home and try to think of a cover that was going to sell. Sex was the furthest thing from your mind when you're working at the typewriter. All we wanted to do was write a story that pleased the editor and to get a nice cover. We'd pick out the best scene in the story and that became the cover, or sometimes we'd dream up a cover to fit a story. Sex was certainly in the old pulp covers, like Dime Detective, but never in comics. We never dreamed of it.

Critics say that Bob Kane got his villains from Dick Tracy.

Baloney, no. He was inspired by Chester Gould and many of the good cartoonists and illustrators like Milt Caniff. But Tracy's villains came along after Batman. I used to have a whole collection of Tracy books. Tracy would have villains but they were gangster villains. They didn't have names like Flattop or The Mole until much later when comic books were well on their way and Batman had already established itself. I've got to give Bob Kane credit for that. The villains in Batman were dreamed up well before Chester Gould ever invented Flattop.

What did you think of the old Batman TV show?

He's never been done well. The costumes were great. It isn't that the scripts were terrible, after all I wrote one myself, it's just that they were a lampoon, a burlesque of Batman. They camped it up to the point where it wasn't serious at all. I felt that there were times it could have been more, not grim, but a little more real. Certainly with the multitudinous villains, you got overwhelmed, and it got boring, there was always one after another. They should have had just done some stories with interesting characters. And burlesque it if they want to, but certainly within limits. It was a caricature of a caricature of a caricature. You can't go on like that. You can carry the burlesque so far that it crosses the borderline and becomes bad taste.

You said that you approved of the idea of making superheroes more relevant while trying to recapture some of their mystique. Do you think that the style of writing in comics has improved?

Oh, yes. The writing is much more slick, relevant, and now kind of writing, which I approve of. The kind of writing you see in a good, solid TV dramatic show. However, I would say that the pulp style should be brought in along with it, a good pulp style. You know Ray Bradbury started out in pulps and his writing is still beautiful, and if you read The Martian Chronicles, which was published in science fiction magazines, there is beautiful poetry in there, beautiful imagery. I was always a nut for imagery. I remember Mort Weisinger once objected to a caption I wrote: A villain was coming at Batman and the caption read: "his hand was fanged with a knife." Nice imagery. It's cornball, but what the hell. That's the kind of writing I feel should be in comics today, Batman especially.

What did you think of the old pulp stories like the Shadow and Doc Savage?

I read some Doc Savage's a couple years ago when they first came out in paperback and I was appalled at some of the writing. Whereas The Shadow, despite its cornball stuff, has its own quality. Walter Gibson did something to The Shadow like the old Phantom stories, [which] were great, they stand up, they're in the style of the old-time masters.

What do you think comics' future is?

I think comics are here to stay. They will change in style. Comic books are going to get much more relevant than they are, and they will go more directly into race problems and political problems. There is a comic book coming out shortly with a black superhero which will have an influence on comic books. I was supposed to do a story for them [DC] in Tomahawk, which I never did. It was done by Bob Kanigher. It was about a black doctor who was supposed to join the group. And, I worked up a whole plot: "Cannonball" was supposed to be a bigot and there was constant squabbling. I never delivered it. I was deep into villains at the time. Comic books are going to become much more sophisticated; more mature, and much more like television shows. There will be adult comics like there are adult Westerns now, with little forays into sex or whatever. It's inevitable. It's part of the progress of the medium.

For those who could stand a bit more Fingering, here are some excerpts of Finger discussing the creation of various Batman characters. They were transcribed from a panel held at a New York Academy Convention in 1966 and printed in issue 14 of the fan magazine Batmania.
    Robin came about when I got a call from Bob Kane saying Batman needed somebody to talk to...he needed a 'Watson.' Let's put it that way! So, Bob Kane called me and he said that he had dreamed up a character; a boy. So, I went up there. Jerry Robinson was there, and they both came up with this boy. I tried to get a name for him. I had loads of names...as Jerry Bails once saw a list. Anyway, the name Robin came about for some reason...I think it was Jerry Robinson who put it there...because his name was Robinson. Anyway, he didn't even look very much like Robin. I suggested the Robin Hood boots that he wears. But we needed a name...Dick Grayson! I immediately thought of the old Frank Merriwell books I had once read. Frank Merriwell had a half-brother named Dick Merriwell. So, that's how we got the name 'Dick.' And Grayson was just the name of a man who used to composite short adventure stories. His name was Charles Grayson. I happened to have a volume with me. So I took the name Grayson. It's as simple as that!

...The Joker? Well, again I got a call from Bob Kane, who asked me to come up. He had a new villain. When I arrived he was holding a playing card. Apparently Jerry Robinson or Bob, I don't recall who, looked at the card and they had an idea for a character...the Joker. Bob made a rough sketch of it. At first it didn't look much like the Joker. It looked more like a clown. But I remembered that Grosset & Dunlap formerly issued very cheap editions of classics by Alexandre Dumas and Victor Hugo. These editions included photographs, movie stills from old movies...Three Musketeers, lots of them. The volume I had was The Man Who Laughs--his face had been permanently operated on so that he will always have this perpetual grin. And it looked absolutely weird. I cut the picture out of the book and gave it to Bob, who drew the profile and gave it a more sinister aspect. Then he worked on the face; made him look a little clown-like, which accounted for his white face, red lips, green hair. And that was the Joker!

[On Bruce Wayne] The name came from Robert Bruce. Wayne came from, actually, Mad Anthony Wayne. He was a socialite. I had to give him a name, so, I started to think of a good, colonial name; and I thought of Mad Anthony Wayne, who suggests out-going action. Which is how I got the name.

[On the Penguin, and whether he was inspired by cigarette packaging] Oh, he never came off a package of Kools...I happened to be looking at a copy of the old Saturday Evening Post that had an article on the Emperor Penguin. It had some photographs of Emperor Penguins waddling about. To me they looked exactly like portly Englishmen going to their private clubs. Naturally when you think of an Englishman, you think of the perpetual umbrella. So, I decided to make a character who...well, it can't just be an umbrella. I decided to gimmick them. I gave him a top hat; make him looking like the Englishman, and gave him a thousand umbrellas, gimmicked. Alas, we have the Penguin."
  • Once again, @Revelator, you have found some very interesting historical material. Thanks!
    Yes, that was a very interesting read.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,366
    Watch this one first...

Awesome!!!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 you will appreciate this mate.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, wow, that was such an experience listening to that. Goosebumps when Batman said he'd do anything for Gotham. It makes me want an animated version of The Dark Knight now with all the roles being filled by the original actors from the series.

I love that Dini got misty just hearing the lines done in front of him. What a guy.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, wow, that was such an experience listening to that. Goosebumps when Batman said he'd do anything for Gotham. It makes me want an animated version of The Dark Knight now with all the roles being filled by the original actors from the series.

I love that Dini got misty just hearing the lines done in front of him. What a guy.

Dini has been through alot I remember an interview he had with Kevin Smith, Dini loves Batman.

Conroy has so much pathos, delivering TDK lines had so much depth of character in his voice. To be honest I would have Conroy do any of the live action films in animated form, Conroy is Batman.

Dini has been through alot I remember an interview he had with Kevin Smith, Dini loves Batman.

Conroy has so much pathos, delivering TDK lines had so much depth of character in his voice. To be honest I would have Conroy do any of the live action films in animated form, Conroy is Batman.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, when Dini was making the animated series he got mugged and that started him down a dark path in his life where he was wondering to himself, "Where is Batman? What good is he if he doesn't help me?" His fiction work and his reality were colliding and giving him trouble. Here's a great interview where he goes into it:

He made a comic inspired by the event and I still haven't read it, but will sometime soon. I think @DarthDimi did a review of it once.

The guy just has a big heart, and you can tell whenever he does interviews. He can still get teared up just talking about how he wrote "Heart of Ice" so he really pours himself into his work and injects a lot of emotion into it that resonates for him too. Not surprising, considering he also created Harley Quinn, a character predicated on an abusive relationship. Deep cuts.

As for Conroy, he's an interesting voice actor for his low range. He's a guy that, when doing that type of voice, he has a low tone, and then a lower one. That he is able to create some emotion or put some heft of humanity behind it for Bruce to peek outside of Batman's mask is great, and why he's so amazing as the character. And really, his voice is exactly how I would picture Bruce/Batman's voice to sound like. He'd have a stiff, deep, slightly robotic voice not only from the past trauma that kicked all his lightness and joy out of him, but also because of how forward thinking and focused he is; the low tone is also a great fear tool, again fitting the character. There's no other voice I've heard for a Batman that gives me the feeling hearing it as Kevin's does, and it suits the character perfectly.

A large part of why the animated Batman is my definitive and most loved Batman is down to Kevin, who nailed him from the start and has only gotten better over time.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, when Dini was making the animated series he got mugged and that started him down a dark path in his life where he was wondering to himself, "Where is Batman? What good is he if he doesn't help me?" His fiction work and his reality were colliding and giving him trouble. Here's a great interview where he goes into it:

He made a comic inspired by the event and I still haven't read it, but will sometime soon. I think @DarthDimi did a review of it once.

The guy just has a big heart, and you can tell whenever he does interviews. He can still get teared up just talking about how he wrote "Heart of Ice" so he really pours himself into his work and injects a lot of emotion into it that resonates for him too. Not surprising, considering he also created Harley Quinn, a character predicated on an abusive relationship. Deep cuts.

As for Conroy, he's an interesting voice actor for his low range. He's a guy that, when doing that type of voice, he has a low tone, and then a lower one. That he is able to create some emotion or put some heft of humanity behind it for Bruce to peek outside of Batman's mask is great, and why he's so amazing as the character. And really, his voice is exactly how I would picture Bruce/Batman's voice to sound like. He'd have a stiff, deep, slightly robotic voice not only from the past trauma that kicked all his lightness and joy out of him, but also because of how forward thinking and focused he is; the low tone is also a great fear tool, again fitting the character. There's no other voice I've heard for a Batman that gives me the feeling hearing it as Kevin's does, and it suits the character perfectly.

A large part of why the animated Batman is my definitive and most loved Batman is down to Kevin, who nailed him from the start and has only gotten better over time.

Yeah the mugging was what I was referring to, that very interview p.s. Kevin Smith really should get seats or stools for his guests.

Dini is a honest man it's obvious it took its toll on him, he wrote one of my favourite Batman stories ever Heart of Ice.

Agree Conroy is fantastic and it's quite a legacy of appearances as Batman he has, luckily I own the majority of his Batman which I have collected over the years. Mask of the Phantasm is close to being my favourite Batman film, very happy it's getting a Bluray release.
    I have the graphic novel and it's an honest and quite good read. Like Dean Trippe's SOMETHING TERRIBLE it talks in earnest about how great a source of inspiration Batman can be.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I have the graphic novel and it's an honest and quite good read. Like Dean Trippe's SOMETHING TERRIBLE it talks in earnest about how great a source of inspiration Batman can be.

Thanks for that I'll see if its on Kindle sounds fascinating, Batman I think because of the psychology of Bruce/Batman and the Villains and being human and relatable makes him the greatest graphic novel character... Along with Superman ;)

Thanks for that I'll see if its on Kindle sounds fascinating, Batman I think because of the psychology of Bruce/Batman and the Villains and being human and relatable makes him the greatest graphic novel character... Along with Superman ;)

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Batman and his rogues seem steeped in psychology, and I think that's what makes them so fascinating, deep and worth reading into. So many villains engage a human fear, whether it's the organized and terrific chaos of the Joker, paralleled with our own unpredictable terrors in the real world, Harvey's constant battle between the good and bad of himself, again a very human concern, and of course Crane's fear, Ivy's lust, and on and on. When I read those stories the villains make me think about aspects of myself, and how well I'm doing avoiding or dealing with the fears or dangers they represent. In that way Batman's comics become more than an assortment of panels, and go much deeper.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Batman and his rogues seem steeped in psychology, and I think that's what makes them so fascinating, deep and worth reading into. So many villains engage a human fear, whether it's the organized and terrific chaos of the Joker, paralleled with our own unpredictable terrors in the real world, Harvey's constant battle between the good and bad of himself, again a very human concern, and of course Crane's fear, Ivy's lust, and on and on. When I read those stories the villains make me think about aspects of myself, and how well I'm doing avoiding or dealing with the fears or dangers they represent. In that way Batman's comics become more than an assortment of panels, and go much deeper.

You hit the nail on the head many of Batman's Rogues gallery are primal fears/instincts many a reflection or manifestation metaphorically of Batman's psychosis or can be seen as a opposite. Batman's choices are what makes him not one of his own Rogues. Batman is fundamentally good though is often pushed to the edge and his moral code is tested, the way the character has evolved truly is brilliant.

The Rogues are through a mirror darkly
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, "Through a Mirror Darkly." Sounds like a good title for a Batman comic featuring Hatter. ;)
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, "Through a Mirror Darkly." Sounds like a good title for a Batman comic featuring Hatter. ;)

That's a great idea the Hatter would have to be aided by Scarecrow ;)

And as a psychologist, I'm sure Crane would be fascinated to see how Tetch's mind control worked on his "Alice's." ;)

And as a psychologist, I'm sure Crane would be fascinated to see how Tetch's mind control worked on his "Alice's." ;)

The greatness of the tales of The Dark Knight so many levels
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Batman vs Two-Face gets a potential release date.

https://www.newsarama.com/35836-report-adam-west-s-final-batman-performance-gets-release-date.html#undefined.gbpl

"Best Buy has listed October 17 as the release date for the animated film Batman Vs. Two-Face, a sequel to Batman: Return of the Caped Crusader, which takes place in the world of the 1960s Batman TV series and which features the late Adam West's final performance as Batman.

The film also features William Shatner as the voice of Two-Face, who never appeared on the original TV show. Julie Newmar and Burt Ward are expected to reprise their roles as Catwoman and Robin, respectively.

The release date for Batman Vs. Two-Face has not been confirmed by Warner Bros."
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Just throwing this out there: If Batman doesn't kill, doesn't that weaken the idea of his being a symbol to instill fear among criminals? I mean, if a hood knows that with Batman his life won't be threatened, and the only risk he runs is that of going to jail, how is Batman significantly more intimidating than an average cop? He can still be a symbol of justice, but the fear of him is diluted.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there: If Batman doesn't kill, doesn't that weaken the idea of his being a symbol to instill fear among criminals? I mean, if a hood knows that with Batman his life won't be threatened, and the only risk he runs is that of going to jail, how is Batman significantly more intimidating than an average cop? He can still be a symbol of justice, but the fear of him is diluted.

"...the only risk he runs is that of going to jail with several broken bones, a rearranged nose, and internal bleeding."

Fixed for you.

Also, Batman generally takes down the criminals the cops can't catch. The super criminals. So there is need. There will always be need for Batman.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 28,694
    mattjoes wrote: »

I hate to keep beating this rotting horse corpse, but this logic again doesn't hold up.

I'm always happy to see Bat fans, as I have always understood the power of the character, but I've also found that many don't think about the real consequences that would come from a murderous Batman who just killed every criminal he met on his path. His code is the thing that sets him apart and has been that way for decades now, so to see it written off as, "He should kill, he can't cause fear without it" is a myopic view that doesn't see the whole picture. I can only speak for myself, but I'd prefer death to a cell any day of the week, because if you're alive you suffer and if you're dead you feel nothing. If Batman kills every criminal in sight he wouldn't be a deterrent force, because deterrence can only happen when you leave a man alive to learn from his mistakes. On top of this the fear of Batman can only live on if he leaves the men alive to tell their friends. To say that you can't be intimidating if you don't kill is just false, as death is final and suffering happens only when your life is spared. By sparing life, Batman teaches through fear, leaving criminals alive to learn a lesson (with some freshly broken bones) instead of cutting out the middle man and just shooting them dead.

It's contradictory that Batman could be expected to be both a symbol of justice and a killer at the same time, because the action is the opposite of true justice that is gained through an impersonal and principled assessment of a criminal by those appointed for the job who are tasked with debating their punishment for their crimes. If Batman acts alone and from his own point of view, he isn't acting for society, but for himself, because he is ignoring society's thoughts and is usurping the power of the GCPD, the city judges, the mayor and everyone else involved in the running of Gotham through his actions.

But this isn't even getting into the complex layers of morality and morality theory that Batman signifies in the comics, actions which are very much in line with the deontological ideas expressed by Immanuel Kant that run in contrast to other moral ideas out there by valuing rationality while acting for the right reason because it's right and because you have a moral obligation to do your duty, and not for any expected gain by completing said action. In Kant's mind we judge the person committing the act and the value of their motives in doing so regardless of what consequences arise from the act, such that a man who acts with good a intention that creates problems isn't damned because of his good motives and a man who acts with bad intentions to create a good end is repelled for his bad motives despite those positive ends he reached. This idea of morality is inherent in Batman's makeup, and has been for a long time.

Ever since the Kane and Finger days Batman has increasingly become more Kantian from a criminal justice perspective, and Bruce follows Kant's teachings of right action at any time and at any expense in his most well known appearances, including Miller's seminal Batman works Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, the landmark run of Denny O'Neil, the iconic 90s animated series and even in Nolan's Batman films. As a Kantian disciple Bruce Wayne acts in accordance to the moral obligations that society has defined for him (and that he defines for himself) no matter what the consequences of that action is, meaning that he won't kill a criminal because robbing a life is crossing a line and is itself a bad motive, even if that man does something horrible at a later date that would warrant such a response. Despite the consequences that could come from not killing, the idea and act of killing is so ruinous and wrong that one should avoid it at all costs, the basic outline of Bruce's response to crime and the general idea of what Kant meant when he outlined the importance of acting with good intentions no matter the consequences because of the goodness of said act alone.

If Bruce was utilitarian, an opposing perspective in relation to Kant's teachings, he would only act in a way that creates the greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. In the hypothetical scenario above, Bruce would kill any criminals because he couldn't trust what they would do in the weeks, months or years ahead, and there would be a need to protect society from their possible acts. The problem with utilitarianism, however, is when does it stop? You kill one or two in an attempt to justify your protection of society, but over time the bodies will rack up and soon you'll be killing those who pose no threat, or those who you haven't seen commit a crime yet, despite a bad record that predicts criminality. Whereas Kant's concept of deontology focuses on the rightness or wrongness of a person's motives to value the overall action, utilitarianism focuses on consequences, where any act, no matter how barbaric, could be justified if the consequences of said action proved to do the greatest amount of good for the largest amount of people. Because of this utilitarianism ultimately becomes dangerous from a societal perspective, as there would come a point where any heinous action could be justified under the guise of protection.

Deontology in contrast leaves no room for comforting justification, as Kant made it clear than any abiding actor would respond in a manner that reflected the moral obligations expected of them that spoke to a higher value of action. There would be no need to justify an act of killing from Kant's perspective because one could never rightly kill in the first place while acting as a deontologist because of the evil motive behind such an action. This is the perspective from which Batman plays from, valuing action over consequence, and why the choice to kill makes no logical sense for him, amongst many other factors.

The main issue with Batman killing is that it doesn't fit into the framework of his life and job under the cowl, and would actually impeded his mission at every step instead of aiding it, as some seem to think. Despite the fantastical nature of the comic book universe he occupies, Batman and his world is heavily grounded and pulls from the same rules of our reality, including those relating to law and order. Just as it would be criminal for a police department and city commissioner to support a murderous vigilante in our world, inviting civil unrest and inciting possible anarchy, the GCPD and Gordon would never find themselves aligning with a Batman that killed. Bruce is already crossing legal lines by being a man outside the law, so if he killed it would only complicate matters more. Gordon and the city embrace Batman over time to be a partner to the GCPD, but imagine how quickly it would all turn around if Bruce started killing the criminals he fought just because he thought it was the easier way to do his job? Gordon would be beside himself as bodies piled up and his old friend decided to make himself judge jury and executioner, and amid upheaval in the GCPD a manhunt for Batman would be mounted because, by that point, he'd be no different from those like Joker or Two-Face who kill to meet their own selfish goals.

Bruce would inevitably isolate himself from all of his support, with Alfred, Batgirl, his Robins and everyone in between standing against his new modus operandi as Kantian followers in conflict with the now utilitarian Batman. With nobody to stand with him and his actions placing him on an island on his own, what good has Bruce done by killing? He's ruined any last fiber of respect he already lost by being a vigilante, has lost the support and trust of the GCPD, lost his family through his selfishness, and bent to a warped mentality that is closer to Joe Chill than the parents who raised him. He took the easy way, forgetting the value of rehabilitation instead of punitive response, the weight of his decision and the vow he made long ago to avoid such courses of action.

This is a long way of saying that there comes a point where one asks too much of a man, and that is the inherent fault of utilitarianism from this standpoint. From a utilitarian point of view Joker should die for all he's done and could do, but to ask such an act to be completed by Batman is to expect far too much from him. I hear the argument from fans all the time, who view Bruce as weak or selfish for not going through with it after all these years, not understanding or appreciating the context of the situation and the torment his own morals would be put into. It's very easy to shout, "Kill him!" from the stands when it's not you on the field doing the act, and taking it upon yourself to end another person's life not on accident, but through methodical and brutal execution. By bending to the will of those who want him to kill anyone posing a threat, all that pressure and expectation is put on Bruce's shoulders and his shoulders alone, to the point that his actions are not his own any more and he is forced or expected to go to the very limits or-in this case-over the edge of what he is comfortable with doing as a man. To ask a man to kill another just because you think the other guy deserves it shows a lack of respect and appreciation for the mind and soul of who you're sending off on your errand of murder.

So let's say that Batman kills the Joker, kills him dead. After that point he's captured when he has no place to go, unmasked in front of the public and sent to rot in a cell for the rest of his life for going too far, farther than a man should be expected to go. With Batman in jail, who will be there to defend the city? If what's left of the Bat family fails to stop the rising forces of the rogues that would join up to wipe them out in the hero's absence, the city would be put into new states of fear and agony with no end in sight and with no strong force to rescue them. Quite simply, the consequences of the action expected of Batman would logically prove to be too much and should be avoided not only for the immediate wrongness of the act, but also for all it would undo in his life, fallout that would stop him from fighting crime altogether as the city would rise against him and rally for his head. It would be a selfish society that expected their hero to kill anyone they desired killed to gain a warped sense of security and justice without trial or sentencing, and it would be that society that would deserve all the regression, upheaval and moral poverty that would form inside it in reaction to that leap too far.

Long story short, don't expect Batman to kill. Killing is bad.

giphy.gif
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

"...the only risk he runs is that of going to jail with several broken bones, a rearranged nose, and internal bleeding."

Fixed for you.
    When you put it like that, it makes more sense. Fear of physical pain, and that's that.

Also, Batman generally takes down the criminals the cops can't catch. The super criminals. So there is need. There will always be need for Batman.
    I don't disagree with that.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I wasn't saying Batman "should kill because he can't cause fear without it." In fact, I don't think he should kill at all, for the moral and practical reasons you stated.

What I was trying to say is that if all Batman does is catch criminals to send them to jail, then he isn't significantly more frightening to a criminal than a cop. Therefore, the bat is less of a symbol to be feared and more of a symbol of justice and a representation of Batman himself as a "creature of the night." At least, that's the impression I got from the Nolan films. In Batman Begins, Batman is truly frightening to the bad guys, but in the later films, as he becomes known to everybody, he no longer stands for fear so much as justice. As he becomes better known, he becomes less scary. My mentioning the act of killing was only to provide a point of comparison.

Maybe this was a silly point to make. At least it elicited a thorough and interesting post from you.
    @mattjoes, I see what you mean now, and didn't meant to make it out that you were saying something else.

I would still say that, acting non-lethally, Batman would terrify me way more than a cop. For one, he doesn't follow anyone's rules, so that's already opening him up to a freedom of operation where he can break bones and go that extra length that a Gotham PD cop would be fired for reaching under Gordon's watch. In the same token, Batman has a heavy range of weapons, from batarangs to smoke pellets and the blades on his gloves, in addition to his car that could catch any other one in the city in a chase. So from a criminal perspective he is far and away more resourceful than a cop could ever be, has a diverse background in bone crushing combat, and doesn't have anyone looking over his shoulder telling him when to stop. I think that alone would create a good amount of fear, as he can just get to you better, faster and stronger.

Your point about a myth not being as powerful the more it's known does have a kernel of truth to it, but I think Batman in most media has been able to keep his fearful symbol alive. I've read a lot of comics where Batman actually has to rethink how he acts as a crime fighter when he comes upon civilians he wants to save and they run from him in fear. It's at these times that he learns the power of his symbol and how you can sometimes scare not just your enemies, but also those you are trying to protect. For Batman fear is a double-edge sword, a great tool for criminals, but something he must yield with responsibility because the innocent public are just as susceptible to viewing him as a monster. And in a way that's another reason why him killing wouldn't be advisable, because his public would turn on him and many would despise him for acting that way.

You bring up Nolan, and I think even in his films Batman is able to retain that symbol of fear, as we can still see even in The Dark Knight as the goons at the beginning shutter at the noise of him when he arrives. Despite him being more known, that has only made his legend larger. Instead of just being a story people hear told, Batman has all the mythic quality of a monster that is also supported by the fact that he's real, and I think that makes him more powerful. I think The Dark Knight Rises is where this idea of fear could maybe be challenged, because in that movie Batman must symbolically do the unthinkable to beat Bane and come out of the shadows into the light. In that sense the movie depicts the idea or symbol of Batman as one of justice, who will go to any lengths to do what is right for society. The third film doesn't focus much on his power as a tool for fear, and instead shows him coming out of the gutter one last time to help the city he loves as a brighter and more overt symbol. It's quite powerful to finally see Batman on the streets fighting with the cops of the city he could only be partners with from the shadows in the previous films, showing that his symbol has become something more, and that he has been embraced by everyone as a protector. When a statue is made of him in memory of his sacrifice, it is a visual symbol of him becoming more than a tool of fear because he is viewed as a source of justice for the good of society. I imagine that even some criminals gained respect for Batman that day, for taking a bomb and risking his own life to save everyone, no matter their background or history.

So really I think Rises and its story simply shows us all that Batman can be. In Begins he was new on the scene as was all the more powerful and fearsome because the criminals didn't know what to expect, making him something to be scared of. Despite saving the city, the public still didn't know much about him or how he operated, so they weren't as responsive to him. In The Dark Knight Batman is still very much fearsome despite him being more well known to the public, but he also hasn't been fully accepted and some view him as the wrong answer to crime, because they are scared of him or of what threats he brings (like Joker). It's only in Rises where the public finally understand and support Batman for something more than his fear tactics, seeing why he fights so hard. He is rallied behind in the daylight on the streets by people who know he's more than a fear symbol, but one of justice and protection too, seeing all his aspects. So in a way I think Rises doesn't show the limit of Batman's ability to cause fear, but instead shows him being accepted and supported as a righteous figure of good in the eyes of those he's been going out on a limb for the entire time. It's less about the criminals being less fearful, but the public being more aware of him.

I hope that makes sense. I also didn't mean to go off on such a long post yesterday. I got passionate about the subject and what I was inspired by during my university criminal justice courses came out. ;) I just think it's great that discussions of Batman can lead so organically into discussions of morality, as the comics are very much grounded in real philosophy in those areas. Cheers.
    And I don't like to keep pressing this issue either but my take on it is somewhat different. First things first: Batman does kill and one cannot deny it. It's even obvious in a film like TDKR. He keeps firing at the truck that's transporting the bomb from "the bat", and you can see the driver receiving fatal wounds; in fact, so does Thalia. Batman furthermore calls to aid an entire army of police men whom he must know won't all survive a clash with the League of Shadows.

While that may be so, Batman still doesn't kill in the sense that he won't pull a gun and flat-out shoot someone dead, except in the earliest of earliest newspaper "funnies". Batman doesn't pack any tools of death when he suits up. He doesn't consider cold assassination as a solution to anything. He won't be morally corrupted into premeditated murder. And he will exhaust all his options - and then some - before resorting to an elimination through inaction (i.e. not killing but not saving either) or by targeting a larger threat (a truck with a nuke on board) which involves collateral casualties.
    While that may be so, Batman still doesn't kill in the sense that he won't pull a gun and flat-out shoot someone dead, except in the earliest of earliest newspaper "funnies".

He never did that in the early Batman comics either. Guns were always a last resort, whether against the Monk and his vampires (silver bullets for all) or against Hugo Strange's giants . As I wrote earlier, "Even in 1939 Batman never went around 'gleefully' gunning down criminals. He rarely even used a gun, probably because fisticuffs were more exciting on the page. The sole occasion when he used a gun to kill someone (aside from pumping silver bullets into a vampire) was in Batman #1, when he swoops down in the bat-plane to machine-gun one of Hugo Strange's giants. 'Much as I hate to take human life, I’m afraid this time it’s necessary!' he says, showing that it was possible for Batman to occasionally employ lethal force without being a trigger-happy Punisher clone."

Superman was a killer too in the 30s.